Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Pope Francis Signals Remarkable Shift In Priorities For Catholics

(Read 10753 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 3« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Pope Francis Signals Remarkable Shift In Priorities For Catholics
     Reply #60 - September 23, 2013, 06:47 PM

This is borderline spamming and against the rules, C1981. Consider this a formal and official warning. Either you post actual content instead of forcing people to visit that stupid website, or you refrain from posting. Next time it will be a smite.

Ok I won't post from that site anymore.
     Reply #61 - September 23, 2013, 06:59 PM

It is slightly annoying when it's always the same site and it's just a link with no context. Not trying to be mean far away hug

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #62 - November 30, 2017, 11:32 AM

A report on Pope Francis and the ‘dirty war’ in Argentina. This is from 2015 but I hadn’t seen the story before.

http://www.buenosairesherald.com/article/188912/francis-accusers-drop-the-case
    The election of Pope Francis in 2013 was widely welcomed across the world, except for some Argentine human rights advocates who alleged that the then-cardinal Jorge Bergoglio was guilty of having abandoned two Jesuit priests, Orlando Yorio and Francisco Jalics, during the 1976-83 military dictatorship.

Given that Francis has become an unexpected icon for many left-leaning figures since he was elected as head of Catholic Church, Yorio’s followers are now beginning to split over whether to continue pressing for justice or to consider what happened as water under the bridge. The shift became apparent at an event marking the launch of a new book collecting some of Yorio’s writings, From The Poor To Everyone, that took place over the weekend at the ex-ESMA memorial centre — a former Navy academy used as clandestine concentration camp — where the priest was illegally detained in 1976.

“Although we cannot forget Yorio’s accusations against Bergoglio at that time, I think that the pope had a realization that made him change for the better,” said one of the presenters in the panel, Santa Cruz church affiliate Adolfo Mango to an audience of 30 to 40 people in the Patrick Rice religious centre located in the ex-ESMA, which is now a human rights memorial site.

While a former catequist who use to do social work in shantytowns, and had helped compile the book, said that although Yorio would have never believed that former Archbishop of Buenos Aires Jorge Mario Bergoglio was elected pope, he would approve of what he is doing now and must be influencing him from heaven.

However, others in the audience weren’t at all happy with this line.

“I still can’t believe Bergoglio is pope... I’ll never forget what Yorio told us and other relatives of the victims of the Bajo Flores disappeared that were denied help from Bergoglio... I believe them,” recalled former catechist Sylvia Gerardi, who was married by Yorio and did social work with the priest. Fátima Rice Cabrera, a former victim of crimes against humanity who was married to Rice and organized the event, said that that the Church had not really changed.

“There are two Churches, one that is persecuted, which Orlando Yorio was a part of, and one that continues to conduct the persecution... If they really were serious about change, they would open up the archives now and use all the money they have to create social programmes for the poor,” said Rice Cabrera.

Behind the claims

The accusation originates in May 1976, when Yorio and his colleague Jesuit priest Francisco Jalics were kidnapped with a group of catequists that did social work in the Bajo Flores shantytown, two months after the beginning of the military dictatorship (1976-1983).

After their release, both priests accused Bergoglio — then the provincial head of the Jesuit mission — of giving the military “a green light” to authorizing their kidnapping and cooperating with the military dictatorship that was committing crimes against humanity. Although Jalics later recanted after Bergoglio was elected Pope Francis, despite previously writing several books and publicly accusing him, Yorio who was the most vocal opponent against Bergoglio, continued to speak out against him until his death in 2000.

In 1977, Yorio wrote a 27-page document to the Jesuit company leader in Rome explaining in detail why he believed Bergoglio was involved in his kidnapping and complicity with the last military dictatorship — which he never received a response to.

These accusations were investigated by human rights leader and the CELS (human rights organization) founder Emilio Mignone in his book Witness to the Truth— analyzing the complicity of the church with the military dictatorship — first published in 1986 and then a decade later by journalist and CELS president Horacio Verbitsky.

In 2008, based on these investigations, Bergoglio — who back then was still Archbishop of Buenos Aires — was called to testify in the so-called ESMA trial by human rights lawyer Luis Zamora. However, he was never found guilty of any of the charges.

Days ago, Zamora told the Herald that they were planning to continue the case against Bergoglio, but at the moment they haven’t submitted any further legal action.

Cases against the Church

Although the complicity between the Church and the military dictatorship is well documented, only two priests have been convicted of crimes against humanity since the reopening of trials during the last dictatorship in 2006.

According to the CELS’s annual report released last week, only three percent of civilians charged with crimes against humanity are members of the Catholic Church. Many witnesses have testified seeing priests in clandestine detention centres, trying to obtain information from prisoners while they were tortured and even giving spiritual guidance to the torturers. Several Catholic Church leaders even vocally supported the murder of people based on an ideological war against Communism and left-wing subversion, such as late bishop Victorio Bonamín.

Despite these accusations, there has been a thaw in the relationship between many local human rights leaders and Pope Francis since he was elected. Grandmothers of Plaza de Mayo President Estela Barnes de Carlotto and Mothers of Plaza de Mayo president Hebe de Bonafini have repented their accusations against the pope claiming they were “mistaken,” while Nobel Peace prize winner Adolfo Pérez Esquivel has claimed he never accused the Bergoglio of any complicity despite past accusations.

Opening Church archives?

Last month, Chief of Ceremonial of the Vatican Guillermo Karcher, one of the pope’s closest collaborators, claimed that Francis had asked to start desclassifying Vatican archives related to the latest dictatorship in Argentina.

The Grandmothers’ president has also said that the Church is cooperating in certain cases — for example, when they make a special request for information.

Lita Boitano, a mother who lost two children during the last military dictatorship, said that the Vatican was planning to make an announcement about the declassification in a month or two.

Reply #63 - December 20, 2017, 06:54 AM

Are you trying to get people to uncover my Pope Francis posts? Yes, I liked him at first. I admit it.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #64 - March 30, 2018, 10:59 PM

So did Pope Francis really say “there is no hell”? https://novusordowatch.org/2018/03/francis-there-is-no-hell/
    [Scalfari:] Your Holiness, in our previous meeting you told me that our species will disappear in a certain moment and that God, still out of his creative force, will create new species. You have never spoken to me about the souls who died in sin and will go to hell to suffer it for eternity. You have however spoken to me of good souls, admitted to the contemplation of God. But what about bad souls? Where are they punished?

[Francis:] “They are not punished, those who repent obtain the forgiveness of God and enter the rank of souls who contemplate him, but those who do not repent and cannot therefore be forgiven disappear. There is no hell, there is the disappearance of sinful souls.”

#hellgate
     Reply #65 - March 31, 2018, 08:17 AM

Pope Francis reportedly denies the existence of hell. Vatican panics.
     Reply #66 - March 31, 2018, 09:33 PM

Baby steps. Afro

Reply #67 - April 01, 2018, 01:05 AM

along with that., i would  have preferred  hearing  from    popes  and   poop faith heads  denying  the existence of hell as well as heaven

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #68 - April 01, 2018, 01:18 AM

Why?

Reply #69 - April 01, 2018, 06:43 PM

along with that., i would  have preferred  hearing  ............. denying  the existence of  hell as well as heaven

and   QSE asks why?
    Why?

how can I &  you answer that question dear  QSE..??

HA!..  Bananas  ....  the  answer is ...benign Bananas... ., Non reproducible super market  Bananas  Cheesy Cheesy

So  by  making/  multiplying  future generations that deny  the existence of  hell as well as heaven and the  god that rules  hell & heaven., we will make the  allah/god/gods whatever  ..the IMPOTENT banana god..  No  seed  Banana god

let me watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex0URF-hWj4

Hmmm

The Mystery of Water  is  also worth watching ??   rubbish  

Reply #70 - April 02, 2018, 05:23 AM

I preferred Pope Benedict.
     Reply #71 - April 20, 2018, 02:32 AM

and   QSE asks why?
    how can I &  you answer that question dear  QSE..??

HA!..  Bananas  ....  the  answer is ...benign Bananas... ., Non reproducible super market  Bananas  Cheesy Cheesy

So  by  making/  multiplying  future generations that deny  the existence of  hell as well as heaven and the  god that rules  hell & heaven., we will make the  allah/god/gods whatever  ..the IMPOTENT banana god..  No  seed  Banana god

let me watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex0URF-hWj4

Hmmm

The Mystery of Water  is  also worth watching ??   rubbish  

Saying heaven exists, and souls that which don't go there simply disappear, is very different to saying souls that don't go to heaven, go to a realm of eternal torture.

Reply #72 - April 21, 2018, 02:27 AM

Saying heaven exists, and souls that which don't go there simply disappear, is very different to saying souls that don't go to heaven, go to a realm of eternal torture.

dear QSE  you are absolutely correct indeed  there is huge difference  in saying   ""bad souls  gong in to hell"   such is the one in  
    ( Revelation 21:8 ......But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”....)

is different from "good souls go to heaven  bad soul disappear"  ....

goo stuff .... good stories ... for  children ,  but  I didn't write whole story  in  my response ....my thoughts are entirely different.....  here

As a leader., as   pope  for Catholics  representing  more than half of  Christians on this  earth  ...... YOU CAN NOT GO AGAINST WHAT IS SAID IN BIBLE  ......  To  say what Mr. Jorge Mario Bergoglio said  ..He should first resign from the job
    .... then he can  say whatever he wants ...  

anyways  let me  read  these   verses  to reinforce myself                

.........."But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”...........  

“Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

"The wicked go down to the realm of the dead, all the nations that forget God."  

They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might    

and throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.  

If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out.

....In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire...........  

Punish them with the rod and save them from death.  

They will throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.  

But the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who had performed the signs on its behalf. With these signs he had deluded those who had received the mark of the beast and worshiped its image. The two of them were thrown alive into the fiery lake of burning sulfur.

For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, putting them in chains of darkness to be held for judgment;

It is OK  to say all that  but  my problem is with those highlighted words     Punish them ......  They will ........  cowardly, the unbelieving,  ..  

Such  words indeed are problem  for folks like me and even you ........  incidentally we can find all of those statements in Quran          

glad to read your words dear QSE......

• Previous page 1 2 3« Previous thread | Next thread »