Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: AMRIKAAA Land of Free ... We were bored so we decided to kill somebody...

(Read 72322 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 3 4 56 7 ... 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • AMRIKAAA Land of Free ... We were bored so we decided to kill somebody...
     Reply #120 - January 09, 2014, 03:34 PM

..............Yesterday was very cold at my place. But not as cold as Mars. The high day time temperature was 20 degrees Fahrenheit before factoring for wind chill. I don't know how cold that was. Skin hurts just being outside if not sheltered from the wind. Good thing for people with good winter clothes and boots...............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyML1z9ppCE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4e7EiMB9fg

Zeeeee..                 IT IS COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD over there.. 

Lynna  Does American government provide free heaters and free electricity to lower income people?

or  all this hype around the globe about Americans is all about AMRIKA??

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #121 - January 10, 2014, 12:09 AM

Quote from: yeezevee

Zeeeee..                 IT IS COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD over there.. 

Lynna  Does American government provide free heaters and free electricity to lower income people?

or  all this hype around the globe about Americans is all about AMRIKA??

I don't know Yeezevee.  I suppose in a way the government does for some. The programs can very so much from state to state and peoples circumstance.
    Almost any place if you have children in the home you can get help. Or disabled. Or elderly.
    If however you should be able to get a job but unemployment is high in your area you might just be... well...damn cold or staying at a friends... or something. In my area a lot of people have wood burning stoves  only not just to supplement their gas or electric heaters.  Also know how to use lots of blankets and electric heating mattress pad at night so you don't have to heat the whole house so warm and use  a space heater for the blathroom when in use because this os an area that needs to be warmer to bathe. Are ways to keep the bills lower if you haven't so much money. I live in a poor area of the country that is why sometimes I get more angry then I should when people rhinl there is no end to what the US should give. Maybe the government here should look at it's own people. Maybe some of the people here should look at how some of  the other people live. One time when I was visitimg in California a lady was talking about how horrible it was that in on of the central plains states they shot stray dogs. Well yeah! They do. So what? Well she says it would only cost 70 dollars to give them a shot to pit them to sleep. Yeah!?! If I had 70 dollars to spear I'd send a child to the dental college to get their teeth cleaned and some cavities filled. This lady didn't get it. She didn't understand. Anyhow I'm getting off the subject.  I've never seen any one here as bad off as I saw in Indonesia or some of the other countries I've traveled to. But America doesn't take care of her own.

If at first you succeed...try something harder.

Failing isn't falling down. Failing is not getting back up again.
     Reply #122 - January 10, 2014, 03:47 AM

I like you, Lynna.
    No one from California, outside of those trapped in LA, understands the value of seventy dollars, was my impression while there. Of course, in California, dogs are more important than people. It is a different country, I think.
    I don't even use dollars, because that confuses cost, with numbers. It all depends on where you live. So when I figure out cost, I do it by bread. How many loaves of bread does this equal?

Yeezevee, some people get some help from the government for their heating costs. But many people in many states, even with children, do not get help for all of it. We are very, very lucky that here there are churches and the rare non-religious organization to step into the breach. I think without these places, it would be much worse. Our charities make all the difference, and help with food and heating and repairs.
    The state and county you live in decides if and how much help you will get.
    For the very poor, living in a place with reliable charities is often the difference between living and scrambling to live.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #123 - January 10, 2014, 07:11 AM

Quote from: three
    I like you, Lynna.

Thank you. I like you also.

.....Of course, in California, dogs are more important than people. It is a different country, I think.

Funny that you should say that. That you think California is a different country. LOL. I was born there. Very far south. Far enough south from a hill top you'd see Mexico.  In school they teach California is more of anything good then most countries. Of course that's before the state went broke.

I don't even use dollars, because that confuses cost, with numbers. It all depends on where you live. So when I figure out cost, I do it by bread. How many loaves of bread does this equal?

That's a good way to keep it real. I figure things out In how many hours I'd have to work.

Reply #124 - January 11, 2014, 03:57 AM

I have been down that way.
    Seriously, I was very disappointed with the urban culture in SoCal. The city attitude was completely different from what I was accustomed to.
    The ranches and the ranchers were something else, though. As was the barrio. Those were better.
    I was not comfortable in the city proper, at all. All polish, no salt.

Reply #125 - January 11, 2014, 04:01 AM

Try speaking Amerian, it's the only language I understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3Wc7Ms0aYY

"Work without hope draws nectar in a sieve, and hope without an object cannot live." -Coleridge

http://sinofgreed.wordpress.com/
     Reply #126 - January 11, 2014, 04:08 AM

That was the worst, so hilarious. I am going to be hearing Bandit Keith in my head every time the children whine:

"I can'r believe you won't give me another cookie, IN AMERICA!"

"You cannot tell me to pick up my socks, IN AMERICA!"

"This is not fair, IN AMERICA!"

Reply #127 - January 11, 2014, 04:09 AM

You are killing me. Tears in my eyes. In America.

"Work without hope draws nectar in a sieve, and hope without an object cannot live." -Coleridge

Reply #128 - January 11, 2014, 04:13 AM

Poor things, it is this sort of stuff that messes them up and puts them into the counselor's chair.

"But every time I asked my mother for something, she would laugh at me! Just laugh, until she cried! And then talk about nationalism, military supremacy, and Pokemon! Over cookies!"

No wonder they cannot behave. I cannot, either.

Reply #129 - January 11, 2014, 04:18 AM

Oh, god. I haven't laughed this much in a long time. I do that with my son too.

"And later on in life at counseling he's going to be saying "and then she would wrestle me down and tell me to smell her feet..""

Reply #130 - January 11, 2014, 04:25 AM

I only thought it was the stupidest video I've seen in my life. But I have trouble figuring out humor.

Reply #131 - January 11, 2014, 04:28 AM

The stupidity is part of the humor. Everyone has their own brand though so don't feel bad if you didn't find it amusing.

Reply #132 - January 11, 2014, 10:35 AM

I like you, Lynna.
    No one from California, outside of those trapped in LA, understands the value of seventy dollars, was my impression while there. Of course, in California, dogs are more important than people. It is a different country, I think.

Huh! what? only those people who live or trapped in LA understands the value of seventy dollars? others in that California state don't understand the value of 70 dollars?  Why because of those  gambling dens in that city??  Or do you mean to say other way around??

Yeezevee, some people get some help from the government for their heating costs. But many people in many states, even with children, do not get help for all of it.

I thought AMRIKA takes care of its poor. I guess no one in AMRIKA who rules America  reads any thing like these Quotes from Past Americans..

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
    With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
    Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
    A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
    Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
    Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
    Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
    The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
    "Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
    With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door
    !"
       ...Emma Lazarus

“I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

“The heaviest penalty for declining to rule is to be ruled by someone inferior to yourself.” .. Plato.

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”
    ― Carl Sagan,

I guess all those days are over.,  There are plenty such sayings from Americans And I wish Every AMRIKA senator reads once every day before they enter that HOUSE OF AMRIKA. May be theyr should make it as rule.  

We are very, very lucky that here there are churches and the rare non-religious organization to step into the breach. I think without these places, it would be much worse. Our charities make all the difference, and help with food and heating and repairs.

The state and county you live in decides if and how much help you will get.

For the very poor, living in a place with reliable charities is often the difference between living and scrambling to live.

Well I guess we  should differentiate between people who go to CHURCHES for the sake of church and And those who speak about Christ to make money  THE HEROES OF American Christianity..

Kenneth Copeland: He runs Kenneth Copeland Ministries, was one of several televangelists whose finances were investigated from 2007 to 2011 by Republican Sen. Charles Grassley of Iowa.

According to an article by the Associated Press that ran in 2008, “His ministry’s 1,500-acre campus, behind an iron gate a half-hour drive from Fort Worth includes a church, a private airstrip, a hangar for the ministry’s $17.5 million jet and other aircraft, and a $6 million church owned lakefront mansion.

The article later added that while Copeland has not released up-to-date salary statements, “the church disclosed in a property-tax exemption application that his wages were $364,577 in 1995; Copeland’s wife, Gloria, earned $292,593. It’s not clear whether those figures include other earnings, such as special offerings for guest preaching or book royalties.”

1.Bishop T. D Jakes ...........Bishop  lives in a $1,700,000 mansion, he has been called America's best preacher and has been featured on the cover of TIME magazine. He is a writer, preacher and movie producer. Thomas Dexter "T. D." Jakes, Sr. is the bishop/chief pastor of The Potter's House, a non-denominational American mega church, with 30,000 members, located in Dallas, Texas. T.D Jakes wears custom made suits and sports a diamond ring the size of a coin. This man of God has been endowed with a $150 million net worth.........

Benny Hinn: Israeli televangelist,Toufik Benedictus “Benny” Hinn has an estimated net worth of $42 million. He is best known for his regular “Miracle Crusades” – revival meeting/faith healing summits that are usually held in large stadiums in major cities, which are later broadcast worldwide on his television program, “This Is Your Day”. Hinn was born on December 3, 1952.

I am sure there are plenty more such preachers of Christianity  in AMRIKA... And sure they donate money to AMRIKA senators for their elections..  That is DEMONOCRACY. But I think Americans are  very dynamic  folks because of that "freedom of expression" and Americans do have the power to change their governments every four years..

Reply #133 - January 11, 2014, 02:01 PM

There are big churches and greedy preachers like that. But for most normal people, there is the local pastor or priest, who is more concerned with getting over to Mrs. Smith's house for a visit or some advice, because she is unable to go out anymore due to health reasons.
    One of my local pastors is a big guy with a loud voice and a slight Southern accent. He looks like he would be one of those fame seeking preachers, but luckily, he is not. He arranges youth activities and family dinners and makes sure to dispense food to 250-500 families monthly. If his church has funds left over from donations, it goes into an account that they use to help people with medical bills and medical equipment, or housing deposits, or emergency disaster relief, like a house fire. It does not stay in the fund very long, there are enough poor people here who need it.
    If they were all like that, we would all be better off. But with this position, any community leader position, comes power, and such positions attracts those who desire power, and desires abuses of that power, as well.
    There are bad Christians and good Christians, bad Muslims and good Muslims, you know all this. I am sure you also know that our social services have been sliding. In my home city, where people die from cold outside in the winter every year, most of our homeless shelters closed down twenty years ago. They still have not been replaced. It was some budget cut under Clinton, I believe.

Reply #134 - January 11, 2014, 02:26 PM

There are big churches and greedy preachers like that. But for most normal people, there is the local pastor or priest, who is more concerned with getting over to Mrs. Smith's house for a visit or some advice, because she is unable to go out anymore due to health reasons.

One of my local pastors is a big guy with a loud voice and a slight Southern accent. He looks like he would be one of those fame seeking preachers, but luckily, he is not. He arranges youth activities and family dinners and makes sure to dispense food to 250-500 families monthly. If his church has funds left over from donations, it goes into an account that they use to help people with medical bills and medical equipment, or housing deposits, or emergency disaster relief, like a house fire. It does not stay in the fund very long, there are enough poor people here who need it.

If they were all like that, we would all be better off. But with this position, any community leader position, comes power, and such positions attracts those who desire power, and desires abuses of that power, as well.

well having power and having money is double edged sword.,  It can better a human society ot it can also destroy the human society..   But that is where these elected democratic governments are supposed play the role unlike kings and Caliphs.  Why don't   this Govt of AMRIKA Tax those big churches heavily and give to those local pastors?    

Hmm Here is the link for richest-pastors-world
    There are bad Christians and good Christians, bad Muslims and good Muslims, you know all this.

That is an interesting statement from you three., There was a discussion on that subject in a forum..

and I stuck to the gun "bad Christians are bad in-spite of "Christ" as role Model And  Good Muslims are Good in-spite of "Muhammad" as role Model .. People beat me up for that.... Huh?
    I am sure you also know that our social services have been sliding. In my home city, where people die from cold outside in the winter every year, most of our homeless shelters closed down twenty years ago. They still have not been replaced. It was some budget cut under Clinton, I believe.

I hate that.. that is strange such things are happening in America..

I wonder these people die in the winter because they are suffering some  sort of mental problems  or they don't know the way to take help from their local representative.. I can assure you such things will  lead to TALIBANIZATION of a nation..

Reply #135 - January 11, 2014, 04:12 PM

Many of our homeless are mentally ill, for certain. It is true that those who do not know how to petition for help have trouble getting it.
    I have met homeless, a few, and mostly much older, who did not know how to read. Try filling out the required forms, in that case.
    I think those religious institutions should have some sort of check and balance in place to curtail their ridiculous spending. Churches do not need private jets, surely.

Reply #136 - January 11, 2014, 09:51 PM

No doubt there are two or more sides to most problems.
    The town I live near is very small less then 6,000 and is also the county set. This county has less people then the capital city of the state. We don't have a homeless shelter more or less. All of the "homeless" are known by someone. So their families or friends try to get them in when the weather is bad. If that's not possible the police will pick them up for some thing or another.  Don't recall ever having a homeless stranger about. There is a "soup kitchen" that's open week days breakfast and lunch.  Baptist, Catholics, Methodist, and I don't know what else two other churches run the place. One of the churches has clothes for poor people I am not sure how I works.
    There is a Department of Human Service office in town. Very good services as far as I can tell for parents with children or people with disabilities that seek help.
    People with disabilities that don't seek help but aren't a danger to themself or society come into a strange catagory. I don't know enough to explain it. You Yeezevee could probably find something (an article or video) about it. But you can't force some one to accept help if they're not in immediate danger of severe harm or death by not taking it. People have a right to make their own choice. So you want beg and live under a bridge? Well, okay. There are some restrictions about which bridge you can live under because of easements and where you can beg because of zoning, safety and harassment laws. You would also have to  doing your sanitation right or you'd end up with some big fines
    . But this can end up in some sad situation especially in areas of larger population where it is not as easy for family to keep track of some one who perhaps really doesn't make the best or most reasonable choices for themself.

I think those religious institutions should have some sort of check and balance in place to curtail their ridiculous spending. Churches do not need private jets, surely.

The reference to private jets likely has something do the article/information I did not read that Yeezevee posted about riches pastors and hummm....abuse of funds. (sigh) so sad every one knows that goes on.
    There are somethings that concern me here.
    - Who desides what is "ridiculous spending". There is separation of church and state for a reason. Once a state/entity has say in how a religion spends it's money there is no longer freedom of religion. If it is an independent individual the same problem exists. The whim of that individual would determine the priprities of the religions financial needs.
    -Anyone who gives money willingly to religious organizations or any other kind of organization but doesn't know how the money is being spent needs to have their head examined. Even something like buying Girl Scout cookies.  These cookies cost about $5 a box you could buy a similar box at the store for about $3. But you think I'll go ahead and pay the $5 to help the Girl Scouts get to go to camp or whatever. Wrong!!! The the Girl Scouts only get 50 cents for each box they sale. Huh? Yeah. That is what the prices were last time I was invovled in Girl Scout cookies. Buy the cookies at the store and give the Girl Scouts the $2 you saved if you want to be reasonable. Be that way with any organization you give money to. If you give it to someone who is pocketing it or it isn't being spent on what you think it should be who do you have to blame but your self.

...  Why don't   this Govt of AMRIKA Tax those big churches heavily and give to those local pastors?    

I suppose because it could not always be devided up like that. There are some national and international groups that do well at spending their funds on things other than self indulgence. If the government of the USoA taxed some religions to support others then once again you have state supported religion. That would be against a foundation principle of the US Constitution. So once again it would seem the responsibility is with the individual, because the money given to religious organizations is voluntarily given, to give where the money will be used for a worthwhile cause. This also must be determined by the individual because it is their voluntary gift.

Very simple put on this matter how involved in your life do you want your government?

Hmm Here is the link for richest-pastors-worldThat is an interesting statement from you three., There was a discussion on that subject in a forum..

and I stuck to the gun "bad Christians are bad in-spite of "Christ" as role Model And  Good Muslims are Good in-spite of "Muhammad" as role Model .. People beat me up for that.... Huh?

On this forum some people are so newly removed from an oppressive place in religion that they did not in many cases choose for themself that they are not yet able or willing to see that for some people the experience of religion is useful and good. For those in time they will come to understand tolerance better when their scars are not so deep and new. For others here they are just dogmatic Atheists as dogmatic for their believes as the dogmatic religionist that they hate. In the end people are not perfectly what they would like to be we are always learning and working on becoming what we see ourself as. There is some good in all people we just have to look harder sometimes. The bad... well...I don't know it's all to easy to get careid away.

I hate that.. that is strange such things are happening in America..

Why is it any stranger rhat it happens in the USofA then any other place that has freezing weather?

I wonder these people die in the winter because they are suffering some  sort of mental problems  or they don't know the way to take help from their local representative.. I can assure you such things will  lead to TALIBANIZATION of a nation..

There are all kinds of reasons perhaps as many reasons as there are people. In the state I live in right off I can think of a couple cases. One of an elderly lady froze to death in her rocker on her front porch of her heated house. She had not seemed to have had mental health issues. No one knows the neighbors just found her there in the morning. Any ones guess why she was out there. Well more then once people have dead in their vehicle broke down or caught in the snow. This doesn't happen as often now with cellphones but we have a lot of areas that are very rural with on coverage. There are public service announcement to carry supplies in the vehicle but most people don't. I think the big cities are good at opening shelter when it's cold. I haven't heard of a homeless person feeezing in 10 or 12 years. I see a lot of them go south with rhe geese.

Reply #137 - January 11, 2014, 09:54 PM

AUGH!!!
    That was long post sorry.
    On my phone I can just see a little.

Reply #138 - January 11, 2014, 09:57 PM

Don't be sorry Lynna. I like long posts, if they are not in legal speak.

Reply #139 - January 14, 2014, 05:40 PM

No doubt there are two or more sides to most problems.
    The town I live near is very small less then 6,000 and is also the county set. This county has less people then the capital city of the state. We don't have a homeless shelter more or less. All of the "homeless" are known by someone. So their families or friends try to get them in when the weather is bad.  

The reference to private jets likely has something do the article/information I did not read that Yeezevee posted about riches pastors and hummm....abuse of funds. (sigh) so sad every one knows that goes on. .................

That is a looong post Lynna., That is what America doing inside America??? 

and this is what AMRIKA does outside America..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6O5V8wwjU4

Vi  Va..ViVa .. Victory..  well we know what happened on Sept-11..

Reply #140 - January 15, 2014, 12:21 AM

That is a looong post Lynna., That is what America doing inside America??? 

and this is what AMRIKA does outside America..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6O5V8wwjU4

Vi  Va..ViVa .. Victory..  well we know what happened on Sept-11..

VIC..c..tor..y..?
    There is no victory in war. Everyone who enters in to a war loses.
    But what is your point Yeezevee?
    I am a non-combatant neutral in the matter of polical affairs.. A conscientious objector. People of my belief are the same all over the world.  We will not fight in wars. We will not take sides. If I had not come by this belief because of my religion I likely would have come to the same conclussion . My Grandfather the one that was born into Judahism became a secular humanitarian and advocated a nonviolient way of life. No child of his or any of his grandchildren as far as he was concerned were allowed to have toy guns or play games of war or violence. My parents nor my stepfather contended this teaching of nonviolence. I've reasonaed on many aspects of a nonviolent life style myself. For this point in history it is a better choice. My opinion, anyone else can have theirs.  So the government of the country I was born in can do as it may I'm unable to stop them. They US government is as wrong as the next violent government. I have a belief about a day when the violence will stop but it isn't a topic for this forum.

You know I have been to Afganistan in 1978. Near where Pakistan, Afganistan, Russia, and China all come together. That was a long time ago when the Taliban were the Freedom Fighters helping the US against Russia..We had been staying with friends at Tarbela Dam Colony who had knewn my Grandfather. He is burried in Pakistan, he died while working there on the Indus water Scheme. Anyhow there is some beautiful country in that area. We meet some very nice people. When we were up in the mountians the fighting men showed us a forge where they made metal parts for their rifles. Also inside a tent where men curved the wooden stocks and inset them with brass and polished stone mosaic to make each one have it's own pray. Really to bad such beautiful pieces of art were really deadly weapons. I read years later, in National Geographics, how they'd trade those hand crafted rifle's for autmatic weapons. Collectors were glad to have those hand crafted rifles. 

So Yeezevee How do you think the violence and hate and stupidity will stop?                           

Reply #141 - January 16, 2014, 02:41 AM

Many of our homeless are mentally ill, for certain. It is true that those who do not know how to petition for help have trouble getting it.
    I have met homeless, a few, and mostly much older, who did not know how to read. Try filling out the required forms, in that case.

Utah of all places has the right idea in regards to homelessness:

http://www.nationswell.com/one-state-track-become-first-end-homelessness-2015/
     Reply #142 - January 16, 2014, 02:51 AM

I remember this idea, it first came out in national media over a decade ago, from the East Coast, I want to say Philadelphia, but I am not sure. It was a small program, and the idea was considered to be very novel. The idea was to house first, and then get the required services and jump through the hoops, because the other way round was very difficult. The success rate was very good.
    I am so happy to see this.

Reply #143 - January 16, 2014, 03:04 AM

Yeah it's stunning that it's in Utah and possibly soon Wyoming of all places Tongue
     Reply #144 - January 16, 2014, 03:08 AM

Well, Utah does have the best emergency response headquarters in the world: The Mormons. No one does charity relief better than they do, I believe they schooled FEMA, who sadly, did not seem to absorb it well.
    It makes sense that those in Utah would have a keen understanding of how to assist a community from the ground up.

Reply #145 - January 16, 2014, 03:15 AM

Yeah but while it's true that Mormons do believe in a sort of economic solidarity (between themselves) and even started off as a communal movement, most are typical right-wing Republican/Democrat types now and I'm surprised they'd implement such a policy.  I'm frankly stunned any state government has. 
     Reply #146 - January 16, 2014, 04:03 AM

You know, you are right. It is a stunning state policy. Usually only the charities are doing this sort of thing at all.
    This is celebratory.

Reply #147 - January 16, 2014, 04:21 AM

Right, and since charities are crappy and ineffectual at best, this is pretty impressive, at least from an American perspective Cheesy
     Reply #148 - January 17, 2014, 05:27 PM

LDS (Mormans) do a fair amount of charity outside their own group. As has been said they very well among themselves and are very good teacher of self-sufficiency.

The practice of making "rice Christians" is despicable. You may have your meal or rooming but you must listen to the preaching. As some religions practice their giving.

Even helping our own is an important part. If everyone took care their own that would nearly take care of everyone. The exception being when large areas that are devastated by natural or manmade disasters or people that are displace from a natural or choosen group for any reason.

I didn't read the article EzraJT posted. It looks as if you had to sign in by social media and I don't have one. So I only know what Three said about getting people into housing first then doing the papework/hoop jumping. I suppose this only works for people preapproved and also in emergency situations. It seems most states I'm aware have some version of that. (sigh) There are still people who fall through the cracks.

Housing doesn't seem to be the biggest issue in my area. There are many (for the population) assisted rent apartment complexes. Also rent is low comparatively. Some people getting in to these have rent of $10/month some utilities included. However any drunkenness, drug use, arrested on the property, defacing your apartment or building starts you on the road to eviction. Therein lies the problem for many people where there isn't much work, their previous poverty hasn't taught them much about property maintenance,  there's high incidence of alcohol abuse and living close to a high drug trafficking area.

In some ways the low income housing is a very helpful plan for those use it and don't run into any of the problems that would cause them to be evicted. However it may be more of an advantage to the property owner then the renter. The owner is guaranteed their income from the property at the expense of the US tax payer. The renter while having a home at an affordable cost during a time of need has rent that rises as their income rises. I'm unsure o f the exact amount now however in 2009 a friend living in a low income apartment share of the rent was about $300 when their income was about $900. Highest rent at the apartment could be $450. It had been $50 when their income was about $500. Okay. Anyone can figure they had more available money working half the time making 500. Beside the fact in rhos area if they could save a down payment they could buy a nice 3 bedroom home with payments of $400 for 15 years.

Reply #149 - January 17, 2014, 07:30 PM

I didn't read the article EzraJT posted. It looks as if you had to sign in by social media and I don't have one.

It's available to me without signing in, but in any case, here it is:

Utah Is on Track to End Homelessness by 2015 With This One Simple Idea
    Give them an apartment first, ask questions later.

Utah has reduced its rate of chronic homelessness by 78 percent over the past eight years, moving 2000 people off the street and putting the state on track to eradicate homelessness altogether by 2015. How’d they do it?

The state is giving away apartments, no strings attached. In 2005, Utah calculated the annual cost of E.R. visits and jail stays for an average homeless person was $16,670, while the cost of providing an apartment and social worker would be $11,000. Each participant works with a caseworker to become self-sufficient, but if they fail, they still get to keep their apartment.

MORE: San Francisco’s homeless take free showers on a bus retrofitted with bathrooms

Other states are eager to emulate Utah’s results. Wyoming has seen its homeless population more than double in the past three years, and it only provides shelter for 26 percent of them, the lowest rate in the country. City officials in Casper, Wyoming, now plan to launch a pilot program using the methods of Utah’s Housing First program. There’s no telling how far the idea might go.

• Previous page 1 ... 3 4 56 7 ... 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »