Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Debate challenge

(Read 25373 times)
  • 12 3 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Debate challenge
     OP - August 14, 2013, 08:13 PM

I'm bored. Are there any believers here confident enough in their belief in a god and competent enough to perhaps debate it at length?

I don't mean debate as in let's beat shit out of each other verbally. I just mean present your case and let's discuss it. Preferably more of a casual and fluid discussion than a formal debate. Just for fun.

Or maybe a non-believer wants to play Devil's Advocate and feel they could present a challenge, maybe even present something they themselves feel has some merit even if they do not entirely believe it.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
  • Debate challenge
     Reply #1 - August 14, 2013, 08:25 PM

Tough one. I’d consider arguing a traditional Islamic position just for the fun of it, but I think the inevitable defeat I’d end up facing would suck all of the fun out of the exercise. Maybe you can choose a different topic, like whether or not Muhammad existed?
  • Debate challenge
     Reply #2 - August 14, 2013, 08:38 PM

I don't really have a strong opinion on Mohammed's existence. Nor do I have much knowledge on the history of Islam. And it doesn't really interest me tbh.

• Debate challenge
     Reply #3 - August 14, 2013, 08:39 PM

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on Mo's existence:
    I have no doubt about the existence of some warlord during that time, or at least a figure manufactured by warlords to secure the beginnings of an empire, or perhaps they were advised by some respected desert mystic. The first established caliphates, the fallout after this mans death, the conflict with his succession, must have had some basis in fact. Also, the history of the so called prophet, and all prophets as we know them now, would be saturated with myth and legend, mixed up with other heroes of the time, and copied or stolen from figures of long before.

• Debate challenge
     Reply #4 - August 14, 2013, 08:52 PM

Yeah. I tend to agree with that general synopsis as well. I’m tempted to take you up on the God challenge, but I’m struggling to determine exactly what sort of “Allah” I’d even try to defend.
  • Debate challenge
     Reply #5 - August 14, 2013, 09:03 PM

Where's Seeker when you need him?

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • Debate challenge
     Reply #6 - August 14, 2013, 09:04 PM

Yeah. I tend to agree with that general synopsis as well. I’m tempted to take you up on the God challenge, but I’m struggling to determine exactly what sort of “Allah” I’d even try to defend.

It's up to you. Have a think about it. No rush.

I don't expect any kind of formal opening statement or anything like that. I was thinking of something more casual and interactive.

• Debate challenge
     Reply #7 - August 14, 2013, 09:09 PM

popcorn

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
  • Debate challenge
     Reply #8 - August 14, 2013, 09:11 PM

Where's Seeker when you need him?

Nah. I'd spend most of the time trying to redress the strawmen.

• Debate challenge
     Reply #9 - August 14, 2013, 09:13 PM

If it wasn't for the fact I've been awake over 24 hours I'd take you up on this.

• Debate challenge
     Reply #10 - August 14, 2013, 09:15 PM

Ahh fuck it I'll give it a go anyway  Smiley

• Debate challenge
     Reply #11 - August 14, 2013, 09:16 PM

Doesn't have to be right now. Nor all at once. I propose a nice leisurely pace, over an indefinite period of time.

You guys can do a tag team if you like.

• Debate challenge
     Reply #12 - August 14, 2013, 09:27 PM

A good reason for believing in god is a love of science, or at least a working knowledge of various scientific studies and conclusions. The best argument is the universe itself. The chance of our universe becoming as it is (ie suitable to produce and sustain us) is so small that the idea it was chance alone seems to be unreasonable. Many regardless of a faith or lack of faith say it does appear to be designed. if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, quacks like a duck, might it not be a duck?

Another argument I would make for the reality of god is evolution (gasp, yes I went there  Afro). Life evolving as it did, particularly human life, is an incredible thing. It's also worth noting that for reasons unexplained our brains and our intelligence went through a huge surge in a relatively small amount of time, the reason for this still unexplained. Perhaps god begat a miracle. Perhaps this was the moment we received souls, and thus distinguishing ourselves from the rest of nature. There is no explanation for the level of consciousness  humans possess.

There's also the fact that life itself exists. No one can begin to explain with any solid backing how chemistry became biology. How life suddenly existed in a lifeless place.

In all the above, I submit an argument for god.

• Debate challenge
     Reply #13 - August 14, 2013, 09:36 PM

Wait a sec. Let's see if we can start a thread in here: http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?board=31.0

Does Mr Murtad still want to have go though? He offered first.

• Debate challenge
     Reply #14 - August 14, 2013, 09:42 PM

Any mods that can move this? If not link me the new thread.

• Debate challenge
     Reply #15 - August 14, 2013, 10:07 PM

In all the above, I submit an argument for god.

Well, ok, I'll take that one up first, then if Happymurtad wants to offer up another challenge he can.

• Debate challenge
     Reply #16 - August 14, 2013, 10:13 PM

Happymurtad will enjoy the popcorn. popcorn
  • Debate challenge
     Reply #17 - August 14, 2013, 10:19 PM

Here you go, started a thread for you: http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=24725.msg701192

• Debate challenge
     Reply #18 - August 14, 2013, 10:21 PM

Should make for some decent popcorn time.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Debate challenge
     Reply #19 - August 14, 2013, 10:26 PM

Hope so, never argued for god before so having a think on it. First time I've had a religious debate and not argued from the atheist side.

• Debate challenge
     Reply #20 - August 14, 2013, 10:29 PM

I think I'll jump in once you guys are done for the most faithful rendition I can muster of an argument for the traditional Qur'anic Allah.
  • Debate challenge
     Reply #21 - August 14, 2013, 10:31 PM

I have no clue how I can argue for a theistic god...

• Debate challenge
     Reply #22 - August 14, 2013, 11:13 PM

butterflies are beautiful therefore god exists, but don't mention to me deformed babies and how bad shit smells
  • Debate challenge
     Reply #23 - August 14, 2013, 11:30 PM

I actually don't consider myself an atheist.
    I think there may be some sort of intelligent being that controls this universe.
    However, I do not fully understand/accept arguments for the existence of such a being.
    Now don't tell me that this makes me an atheist because atheism is "merely the lack of belief in a god".  William Lane Craig is correct in pointing out that the word "Atheist" means someone who rejects the existence of god. I do not take that position. I am specifically someone who is not convinced by arguments for the existence of a deistic god.
    I am certainly convinced however, that the gods described in the bible and the qur'an do not exist. This does not mean that I am capable of presenting arguments to convince others that they do not exist.
  • Debate challenge
     Reply #24 - August 14, 2013, 11:48 PM

I may be misunderstanding you, but from what you said it seems you do believe in a deistic god, not a theistic god? Deist is what you described thinking might exist, theist is a personal god that takes an interest in people.

• Debate challenge
     Reply #25 - August 15, 2013, 12:12 AM

I am not convinced that any kind of god exists. Perhaps that makes me agnostic. But I do not say that there is no way to 'know' anything.

I cannot say for certain that a deistic god - an impersonal god - does not exist.

I am very much certain that the god of the bible and/or the qur'an does not exist.
  • Debate challenge
     Reply #26 - August 15, 2013, 12:24 AM

Pretty much describes me. The reason I'd label myself atheist instead of agnostic is mostly that I'm 90-something per cent sure the universe was a product of nature. Don't ask me to prove it because I can't, it just seems more likely to me.

• Re: Debate challenge
     Reply #27 - August 15, 2013, 01:56 AM

Happymurtad will enjoy the popcorn. popcorn

Schizo wants to debate HM re: the existence of Allah and not any other deity, immanence be damned. Do you want me to open up a thread?
  • Debate challenge
     Reply #28 - August 15, 2013, 01:58 AM

I'd read it.

• Debate challenge
     Reply #29 - August 15, 2013, 02:01 AM

Schizo wants to debate HM re: the existence of Allah and not any other deity, immanence be damned. Do you want me to open up a thread?

Get in the queue.

• 12 3 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »