Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Dawkins upsets Muslims again (Scientific achievement)

(Read 43024 times)
  • 12 3 ... 8 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Dawkins upsets Muslims again (Scientific achievement)
     OP - August 10, 2013, 03:51 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2387635/Richard-Dawkins-embroiled-Twitter-row-controversial-comments.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
     Reply #1 - August 10, 2013, 04:20 PM

Here's Dawkins' reply to his critics....

http://www.richarddawkins.net/foundation_articles/2013/8/9/calm-reflections-after-a-storm-in-a-teacup#

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #2 - August 10, 2013, 04:27 PM

The Sixth Pillar of Islam: Getting offended.
     Reply #3 - August 10, 2013, 04:33 PM

That is the actually the only required pillar as it abrogates the others

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #4 - August 10, 2013, 04:36 PM

Muslims can't handle the truth. as simple as that
     Reply #5 - August 10, 2013, 04:38 PM

As far as I can see alot of the people getting all up in the air about this aren't muslims. 

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #6 - August 10, 2013, 04:43 PM

According to Faisal Islam, the economics prize is not a real Nobel, so we have to subtract some from Trinity College's tally.
    But the 6 Muslim Peace Prizes are all totally legit and hardcore science.
     Reply #7 - August 10, 2013, 04:54 PM

He's made his point badly to be honest. The Nobel Prize thing is a side issue. Dawkins should have pointed his followers to this article by Parvez Hoodhboy

http://www.meforum.org/2593/pervez-amirali-hoodbhoy-islam-science

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #8 - August 10, 2013, 08:08 PM

Might have made his point badly but it's a point worth making.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #9 - August 10, 2013, 09:13 PM

I think Dawkins' response to the critisism was pretty reasonable.

‘A statement of simple fact is not bigotry

Think about it.  If Dawkins had said this about another group like Hindus or catholics or bahais would people have reacted similarly  ?

The answer is obvious. Even when people voice legitimate criticism  of Islam many on the left will bend over backwards to defend Islam and think they are promoting multiculturalism.

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #10 - August 10, 2013, 09:20 PM

I love this quote:

To begin with, we need to separate the scientists from the technologists, meaning those who use science in a narrowly functional sense rather than as a means for understanding the natural world. I have never seen a first-rate Muslim scientist become an Islamist or a terrorist even when he or she is a strong believer. But second- and third-rate technologists are more susceptible. These are people who use science in some capacity but without any need to understand it very much—engineers, doctors, technicians, etc.—all of whom are more inclined towards radicalism. They have been trained to absorb facts without thinking, and this makes them more susceptible to the inducements of holy books and preachers.

Reply #11 - August 10, 2013, 09:28 PM

^

Theres a salafi guy I know who is studying engineering.  He is apparently acing his engineering courses as well.

However he wrote an essay on why evolution is a complete fraud.   

Perfect example of a person who memorizes scientific facts and formulas to pass exams but does not know the basics  of the scientific method that he should have learned in a basic highschool science class.

Reply #12 - August 10, 2013, 09:38 PM

Of muslims who study scientific subjects, they often study applied science such as engineering. It is a totally different type of thing.

the trend is true of religious creationists in general. In this context it is called the Salem Hypothesis:

"The Salem Hypothesis is the observation of the apparent correlation between the engineering trade and creationist beliefs ... It holds that people who claim science expertise, whilst advocating creationism, tend to be formally trained as engineers."

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Salem_Hypothesis
     Reply #13 - August 10, 2013, 09:40 PM

Ahh, Pervez Amirali Hoodbhoy. I remember when our own warrior of god went to debate with him, and resorted to saying he has a hatred of the muslim world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtKVl0X4Wr8

Title is "ATHEIST PROF. RUNS AWAY FROM A MUSLIM IN A DEBATE!!". Love how edited it is.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #14 - August 10, 2013, 09:42 PM

Twat.

Reply #15 - August 10, 2013, 09:53 PM

You gotta love the Islamic Nasheed you find at the beginning of every Islamic propaganda video.
     Reply #16 - August 10, 2013, 10:47 PM

There are a over a billion each Indians and Chinese in the world. They don't rate highly either, so it might not just be a case of Islam being the cause. ? And there is a reason why Jews top the list proportionally. Also true though Arab culture not very creative, scientifically minded though the Iranians are a bit more research-based.

Maybe with the oil and/or religion they think they don't need it - like Africans never needed to get to the next village/field so never tamed/domesticated an animal to ride.

I see an approaching time when Muslims will be seen as a race. Though might not have that discussion tonight.

I am my own worst enemy and best friend, itsa bit of a squeeze in a three-quarter bed, tho. Unhinged!? If I was a dog I would be having kittens, that is unhinged. Footloose n fancy free, forced to fit, fated to fly. One or 2 words, 3 and 3/thirds, looking comely but lonely, till I made them homely.D
     Reply #17 - August 10, 2013, 10:55 PM

Many Muslims already do see themselves as a race.

Frankly, Dawkins Nobel prize posts were superficial. The wider point about science and Islam being at a disconnect, is valid.

God is Love.

Reply #18 - August 10, 2013, 11:01 PM

I thought the noble prize example and islam and science being disconnected were both being used quite bluntly to make the point? Perhaps it was worded poorly but no less valid as far as truthful factual claims go.

Reply #19 - August 10, 2013, 11:12 PM

Yes, its blunt. Its also not entirely correlative as many other factors play into that issue. Seriously, why not link to some of Hoodhboy's writing instead?

God is Love.

Reply #20 - August 10, 2013, 11:31 PM

Yes, its blunt. Its also not entirely correlative as many other factors play into that issue. Seriously, why not link to some of Hoodhboy's writing instead?

Or even Mehdi Hasan - who apparently echoed the same views.

I am my own worst enemy and best friend, itsa bit of a squeeze in a three-quarter bed, tho. Unhinged!? If I was a dog I would be having kittens, that is unhinged. Footloose n fancy free, forced to fit, fated to fly. One or 2 words, 3 and 3/thirds, looking comely but lonely, till I made them homely.D
     Reply #21 - August 10, 2013, 11:32 PM

Many Muslims already do see themselves as a race.

Brown/dark and circumcised ( in the UK.)

Reply #22 - August 11, 2013, 12:06 AM

The cradle of civilization is the middle east, 6000 years ago Uruk was the first society of humans.
    Babylonian maths still exist to this day, i.e. base 12 numbers that are used for timekeeping.
    Rudimentary motors were invented as toys in persia, long before the industrial revolution, though calculus had not been discovered. 
    I am reminded of an episode of Family guy were Stewie and Brian travel to an alternative reality where Christianity did not hinder scientific development and it showed humanity about 500 years more advanced. I think Islam probably had a greater detrimental effect on human technological development seeing as how it effected the region that was the natural place for advancement of civilization.

If humans ever discover a developing alien race on another planet and were afraid that they were developing too fast, they should introduce them to Islam and see how it fucks them up.
     Reply #23 - August 11, 2013, 12:07 AM

If humans ever discover a developing alien race on another planet and were afraid that they were developing too fast, they should introduce them to Islam and see how it fucks them up.

Cheesy

Reply #24 - August 11, 2013, 12:10 AM

Cheesy Cheesy
     Reply #25 - August 11, 2013, 04:08 AM

It was a retarded point by Dawkins and yes it was bigotry. If he had said the same shit about Blacks no one would be debating that it was bigotry. But let's fall back to the standard pathetic "but Islam isn't a race" defense please and bitch and whine about leftists.  Roll Eyes Dicks.

He's made his point badly to be honest. The Nobel Prize thing is a side issue. Dawkins should have pointed his followers to this article by Parvez Hoodhboy

http://www.meforum.org/2593/pervez-amirali-hoodbhoy-islam-science

Linking to a Daniel Pipes website billy? Seriously?

Think about it.  If Dawkins had said this about another group like Hindus or catholics or bahais would people have reacted similarly  ?

The answer is obvious.

The answer *IS* obvious and the answer is clearly "Yes", and the fact you can't see that speaks volumes about your connection with reality.

fuck you
     Reply #26 - August 11, 2013, 04:23 AM

It was a retarded point by Dawkins and yes it was bigotry. If he had said the same shit about Blacks no one would be debating that it was bigotry. But let's fall back to the standard pathetic "but Islam isn't a race" defense please and bitch and whine about leftists.   Dicks.

Thats a really stupid analogy.

Islam is THE main reason that the muslim world has not contributed much to modern science. A person's race has no effect on their behavior so saying something like "blacks have not contributed much to science " would be a meaningless statement. Religion on the other hand has a huge impact on a person's behavior and is the reason that muslims across the world are anti-science.

And your going to call Dawkins a "bigot" for pointing that fact

And people really need to stop throwing around the word "bigot" lightly.  To my knowledge Dawkins has not promoted any form of prejudice, intolerance or hatred towards any group including muslims.

And if your going to accuse him of being a bigot then be prepared to back it up.

Reply #27 - August 11, 2013, 04:30 AM

*You're.

I'm going to call him a bigot for picking on the religious identity of over a billion people from the bully pulpit of his twitter account for no other discernible reason other than to let us know they are stupid.

fuck you
     Reply #28 - August 11, 2013, 04:38 AM

^

Bullshit.  He did not call all muslims stupid. He pointed out the lack of scientific achievements in the muslim world which is clearly a result of people following the religion of Islam. 

He was making a legitimate point not bullying or picking on people just for fun.

Reply #29 - August 11, 2013, 05:13 AM

He's talking shit on twitter and being his usual douchebag self.

fuck you
  • 12 3 ... 8 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »