Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Saudi Blogger Raif Badawi Faces Jail and 600 Lashes For Insulting Islam

(Read 40504 times)
  • 12 3 ... 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Saudi Blogger Raif Badawi Faces Jail and 600 Lashes For Insulting Islam
     OP - August 01, 2013, 07:13 AM

Saudi Blogger Raif Badawi Faces Jail and 600 Lashes For Insulting Islam   says news

The editor of a Saudi Arabian social Web site has been sentenced to seven years in prison and 600 lashes for founding an Internet forum that violates Islamic values and propagates liberal thought, Saudi media reported on Tuesday.

Raif Badawi, who started the "Free Saudi Liberals" Web site to discuss the role of religion in Saudi Arabia, has been held since June 2012 on charges of cyber crime and disobeying his father - a crime in the conservative kingdom and top U.S. ally.

Al-Watan newspaper said the judge had also ordered the closure of the Web site.  Raif Badawi has been in detention since 2012, after being arrested on cyber-crime charges related to Free Saudi, the website he founded which hosted discussions on religion in the ultraconservative Islamic kingdom.

Judges at Jeddah criminal court reportedly dropped the heaviest charge of apostasy - which carries an automatic death sentence - after Badawi, gave assurances he was a Muslim. "The judge asked Raif, 'Are you a Muslim?' and he said 'Yes, and I don't accept anyone to cast doubt on (my belief)'," Badawi's wife, who moved abroad in 2012 with her children, tweeted.

However, the court found Badawi guilty of insulting Islam and ordered the closure of the website, Al-Watan newspaper reported. Judges also gave Badawi an additional three months in jail for disobeying his father, a crime in Saudi Arabia. The two allegedly had numerous public confrontations over the years.

I wonder whether there is any way to "LASH THESE BABOONS IN JUDGE CLOTHES" in public and put them in a zoo along with other primates,  so people visiting zoo can see them and learn some behavioral pattern by observing these special baboons  in a zoo..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #1 - August 01, 2013, 07:23 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp0SyqBFPG4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x__9kAIP3HM

Hmm I wonder about that voice and its power... Share it and Spread the word..

Reply #2 - August 01, 2013, 07:44 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQi18Wy0RsI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BL3rw6O_p8

Reply #3 - August 01, 2013, 11:06 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H8Y6ySm5aM

That is    Raif's family ,   his wife   Ensaf Haidar  Badawi    says "I don't know what to do,"  "Raif did nothing wrong." Estranged from her family, Haidar said it would be impossible to take her children back to Saudi Arabia. The stigma is too strong there.

"You feel like everybody's accusing you,"  "Like everybody's against you, at war with you." she said, close to tears,

Reply #4 - December 27, 2013, 09:16 AM

Saudi blogger sentenced to death for apostasy says link..

SAUDI ARABIA — Raif Badawi, a blogger in Saudi Arabia who has been imprisoned for violating the nation’s anti-cybercrime law, was given the death penalty for apostasy by a higher court Wednesday, his wife told CNN.

Badawi founded the Free Saudi Liberals website and was originally given a seven-year sentence in July.A Jeddah criminal court found Badawi, who has been in prison since June 2012, guilty of insulting Islam through his website and in television comments. His lawyer appealed the sentence, which also included 600 lashes.

A higher court found him guilty of apostasy, his wife said.
    “It is an emotion I cannot describe. I never imagined this would happen,” she said. “I thought maybe they would reduce the sentence but this is unimaginable. The whole thing is about a website.”

Badawi’s legal troubles started shortly after he started the Free Saudi Liberals website in 2008. He was detained for one day and questioned about the site. Some clerics even branded him an unbeliever and apostate.

Human rights groups accuse Saudi authorities of targeting activists through the courts and travel bans. Amnesty International has said Badawi’s “is clear case of intimidation against him and others who seek to engage in open debates about the issues that Saudi Arabians face in their daily lives.”

CNN could not reach the Saudi Arabian government officials for comment.
    Badawi’s wife, Ensaf Haidar, and the couple’s three children now live in Lebanon.

I hope that damn news is not true., This is a fucking test case for western  poodles licking kingdom ass for  oil wealth and as well as for those Muslim folks  who live their life  as cultural Muslims without that fucking  Mambo jumbo of Quran/hadith stupid literature. I tell you this  if he is killed by this brutal regime., The only thing that is left  is war with ISLAMIC ROGUISH LANDS  that  use Islam in politics.  

Reply #5 - December 27, 2013, 09:33 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSRJ1TFnXUA

Reply #6 - December 27, 2013, 10:01 AM

Im so glad im living in india when i read news like these . My country itself got tons of other problems related to its authorities but not too much of a deal most of the time . There are still religious nutcases but not only muslims but even various hindu sects that cause disturbing news like these . Like i read a news that a girl posted a simple facebook status in her wall saying that holiday in mumbai is not needed for the death of the recent big political/religious leader (i forgot his name but he's pretty famous in mumbai) . When news of her status update came about thugs and gundas came and thrashed the clinic of her family and made a total mess . Even the police weren't supporting much saying that she hurt religious sentiments .
     Reply #7 - December 27, 2013, 07:05 PM

Im so glad im living in india when i read news like these . My country itself got tons of other problems related to its authorities but not too much of a deal most of the time . There are still religious nutcases but not only muslims but even various hindu sects that cause disturbing news like these . Like i read a news that a girl posted a simple facebook status in her wall saying that holiday in mumbai is not needed for the death of the recent big political/religious leader (i forgot his name but he's pretty famous in mumbai) . When news of her status update came about thugs and gundas came and thrashed the clinic of her family and made a total mess . Even the police weren't supporting much saying that she hurt religious sentiments .

Hello codehawk  I have not read much from you  so welcome to CEMB.. please put up a thread on India and misogyny that run through Indian pagan stories of their religion  from Indian culture/s religions.. That country is full of religions  gods, godmen, godwomen and snakes., but I agree with you comparative Pakistan life of minority folks living there is gillion times better.

Any ways just to let the readers know .,  Raif Badawi is fighting in that sand land for a long time. since the days  of his mother died he fought for his elder sister Samar Badawi and you see her here..

Samar Badawi, 33, is a women’s rights activist who has challenged Saudi laws that allow male guardians to restrict women’s freedom of movement and ability to marry, even in cases where the guardian is responsible for abuss

Badawi’s father physically abused her when she was a teenager and she attempted to run away from home at the ages of 13 and 16, she told Human Rights Watch. In 2008, Badawi, then aged 26, finally found refuge at a shelter for abused women in Jeddah. She then took a highly unusual step and began legal proceedings at the Jeddah Public Court to strip her father of her guardianship, which allowed him control over key aspects of her life, including her financial affairs.

Read more of that story at this link

Badawi (centre) with Michelle Obama (left) and Hillary Rodham Clinton (right) at the 2012 International Women of Courage Awards

Reply #8 - December 27, 2013, 07:15 PM

Good find, Yeezevee. An admirable family.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #9 - December 27, 2013, 07:19 PM

Women of Courage Award -- Samar Badawi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fipUkAksQDw

Reply #10 - December 27, 2013, 07:21 PM

......... An admirable family.

indeed   this is going to be the century of all Muslims and non-Muslims  who fight for freedom of expression..

That case will shake THE ROOTS OF SAND LAND...  And the case is so silly..

l-Riyadh daily is reporting that a court in Jeddah has postponed the verdict in the case of Raif Badawi, founder of the Saudi Liberal Network internet forum, because the accuser, who happens to be Badawi’s father, was not present. The father told the court he could not come because he is traveling abroad.
    Yes, Raif Badawi is being sued by his father who is accusing his son of disobedience. Other charges Badawi is facing include, according to the paper, violating Islamic values, breaking Sharia law, blasphemy and mocking religious symbols using a website on the internet.

The newspaper calls Badawi a “blogger” but this is not accurate because he has not actually maintained a blog before. He is the owner of an online forum. Some of the charges against him relate to threads posted by members of his forum and not by him. Badawi was arrested last June. The court will announced its verdict on Wednesday, October 3.

And that is from here

Reply #11 - December 27, 2013, 09:01 PM

Raif Badawi  sister  Samar Badawi"   story...

"Samar Badawi" a Saudi activist honoured as 'Woman of Courage' she's the sister of a sister of Raif Badawi

Samar Badawi looks a little forsaken on the big stage in Washington. Shyly, she listens to the noble words a world-famous figure is saying about her: “You are making a difference. And we thank you for that.” Then suddenly the small woman in black who hails from the Saudi Arabian port city of Jeddah is standing between Hillary Clinton and the world’s other most powerful woman, Michelle Obama.

Clinton’s words were part of the ceremony honoring those who won International Women of Courage Awards. Since 2007, ten women from around the world, selected from possible candidates whose names are sent in by U.S. embassies, are invited to Washington for the award ceremony. In 2012, other award winners came from Burma, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Colombia.

Each of these activists deserves an article like this one written about her: all the award-winners fight against discrimination, crime, corruption, and terror. But within this group of strong women, Samar Badawi is special because she manages to live – survive – in Saudi Arabia, which is probably the most misogynist country in the world.
    Her life story is that of an oppressed woman treated sadistically, with every effort made to break her spirit, running headlong into the wall of Saudi society. She sued her own father – nothing short of a revolutionary act in country so corrupt, with its cronyism and nepotism, and so rigid, with its system of moral police and women watched over by guardians.

The 31-year-old divorced mother of a 10-year-old son has even sued the government in her fight for the right of women to vote and to drive cars. “Samar is a fighter, courageous and strong enough to take such a step. I take my hat off to her,” Saudi blogger and medical student Omaima al-Nadshar says.

Not to go along with this is dangerous for a woman. In 2009, for example, a father had his daughter committed to a mental institution because, against his will, she wanted to marry someone from a different tribe. The system leads to some strange configurations – as Wajeha al-Huwaider, a divorced woman, says: “If I want to marry again, I’ll have to ask my son’s permission.”

As a fighter on her own, Samar Badawi has by now had a lot of experience of Saudi’s male-dominated world. She has been arrested, sued, thrown into jail. Her crime: as a divorced woman of 30, and a mother, she didn’t obey her father, who -- as an independent psychologist working for a family protection organization ascertained -- was a drug-addicted paranoid psychopath with 14 wives.

“My mother died of cancer when I was 13,” says Badawi. “My father beat me regularly, yelled at me all the time, once even threw me out of the house.” Even after marriage and motherhood, he was constantly trying to run her life.

Getting divorced was already no small matter, since in Saudi Arabia it’s seen as a sign of rebellion against the patriarchal structure. It also meant that she was forced to move back into her father’s house, where the verbal and physical abuse started all over again.

Locked up

Then came the day when she couldn’t stand it anymore. She took her child, went to a women’s shelter, and ended up suing her father. Badawi’s brother took her side, which is why she won the first court case. Her father appealed, and the second case was heard by a very conservative judge. Badawi was sent to prison.

Meanwhile, however, the case had won the attention of the international media. An Internet campaign was launched. The global campaign to free Badawi lasted for seven months, and in the end she was released and turned over to the care of an uncle.

“I went into jail a broken, wounded woman,” says Badawi. “But I emerged from it victorious, so proud of myself for having gotten through the ordeal. I had a lot of time to think about my father’s injustice, that dreadful judge, and of course my son – those were the times when I would weep.

Samar Badawi’s fight is far from over. In fact, one could make the case that it’s just begun. For no sooner out of prison than she took up her next project: voting rights for Saudi women. She started last April, and a few months later King Abdullah announced that in 2015 women would be allowed to vote in local elections and that they would be eligible to sit in the Shura, the country’s Consultative Assembly.

It is not known to what extent Badawi's commitment to the cause played a role in this revolutionary development. It is, however, clear that Badawi doesn’t think it’s enough. She wants to be able to drive, and has applied for a license. She pesters the Jeddah authorities about it on a daily basis, and writes complaining letters to the Ministry of the Interior.

Her arguments aren’t very difficult to understand. “I’m a working mother, and I don’t have a chauffeur,” she says. “What is more dangerous: getting into the car of someone I don’t know or sitting behind the wheel of my own vehicle?”

Badawi no longer has to fight alone: many women support her, and have turned the battle for the right to drive into a campaign called “Women to drive.” They drive illegally, mainly at night, have themselves filmed doing so and then put the videos on the Internet. They risk legal trouble and punishment for this – driving women are sentenced to ten lashes.

Badawi has also driven, and has the support of her second husband Waleed Abu Alkhair, a Cambridge jurist and human rights activist. “Our laws are fine,” Badawi says. “What’s missing is legal awareness and women with self-confidence.” King Abdullah should be proud to have subjects like her.

well that is  her story from last year.. published at that German News paper welt.de

Reply #12 - December 27, 2013, 11:36 PM

So these siblings are perhaps admirable, but certainly not the father. I retract the family bit.
    It all sounds like revenge by the father and officials, from what is written here.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #13 - September 30, 2014, 03:37 PM

Saudi court closes liberal website permanently says news

A Saudi court in Jeddah ordered the permanent closure of a liberal website for publishing what was perceived as anti-Islamic content, the Saudi news website Sabq reported on Sunday.

Sabq said a number of Saudis had demanded the closure of the Saudi Liberal Network for posting stories and comments that are considered against religion and morality.

The website said the court’s decision “prompted good reactions by many of those who had called for such an action and had filed lawsuits against the network and its members.”

In August last year a court sentenced the founder of the website Zaef Badawi to seven years and three months in jail in addition to 600 flogs “for establishing a liberal website and adopting the liberal thinking and insulting Islam,” Sabq reported. But a higher court overturned that decision and ordered a retrial by a different court.

That news is 9 hrs old., these rascals can not even type the name right., that is not Zaef., that is   Raif  or Raef..., Raif Badawi.,

that is how these rogues of Islam ruling Sand land shut the freedom of expression and propagate their brutal Islam..

Reply #14 - September 30, 2014, 04:00 PM

religion and morality

A phrase directly from 1984 Newspeak?

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #15 - October 01, 2014, 07:41 PM

Man executed in Iran for doubting Jonah and the Whale story

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/30/trust-iran-it-just-hanged-a-man-who-doubted-jonah-and-the-whale.html

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
     Reply #16 - October 01, 2014, 11:00 PM

Man executed for doubting the Gotham batman and joker story.

finmad
     Reply #17 - October 02, 2014, 12:53 AM

with that news I am numb
    ........Mohsen Amir Aslani, a prisoner of conscience, was executed in the last act of a truly Kafkaesque legal process. Aslani, 37, was hanged in Rajaei Shahr Prison in Karaj at dawn on Wednesday September 24 for committing heresy and allegedly insulting the Prophet Jonah (Yunus in the Qur’an)—the one swallowed by a “big fish”; the one that God used to teach the lesson of compassion.........

I am losing  my senses  that I am human being like these rogues who murder people with the rules they made that are based on  fucking stupid religious stories of cave dwellers  ..

... Mohsen Amir-Aslani was arrested nine years ago for his activities which the authorities deemed were heretical. He was engaged in psychotherapy but also led sessions reading and reciting the Qur’an and providing his own interpretations of the Islamic holy book, his family said.

Amir-Aslani was hanged last week for making “innovations in the religion” and “spreading corruption on earth”,   He had interpreted Jonah’s story in the Qur’an as a symbolic tale.

That is such pathetic news if there are any GUTS IN TH UN ORGANIZATION all these countries and their representatives should be banned  at least symbolically..

Reply #18 - October 02, 2014, 01:01 AM

I think I read somewhere that Saudi Arabia had to give up slavery in 1963 to be able to join the UN.

Of course that upset the Ikhwan Wahhabis even more on top of the unholy alliance Al-Saud had with the British that massacred them in the 20's.

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #19 - October 02, 2014, 02:08 PM

There are simply no words.

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #20 - October 02, 2014, 08:19 PM

Yes, and the thing is, he was killed not for insulting, but for just offering other interpretations on the story about a relatively minor character. It wasn't even the god or the prophet himself. (not that that should make any difference anyway).

This is all part of the totalitarianism that theocracies demand. Its starts off with 'don't insult god' then the catchment area widens to include the prophet, then the other prophets, then the prophets wives, any of their mates or family members, or anything they said or did.

Reminds me (although not nearly as extreme) of the Sanal Edamaruku incident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfJ6_ftih0s

http://blog.newhumanist.org.uk/2012/07/sanal-edamaruku-update-indian-catholics.html

Here is a great video of the rationalist challenging an Indian Fakir (faker?) who says he can cause death by remote control magic no less (oo-err!!  Huh?)

I couldn't help but laugh along with Sanal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB5KUZfPmFQ

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
     Reply #21 - October 02, 2014, 08:47 PM

Here is an interesting website I stumbled across.

http://th3cow.wordpress.com/about/

It seems to be a criticism of the quran and its stories and Mo's activities and pronouncments. I haven't delved into it too much yet but looks like it might be partway between KafirGirl's blog and The Skeptics Annotated Quran. Will keep reading.

The author seems to imply he is an unbeliever but elsewhere states he is jewish, so not sure if he is a believing jew or an atheist jew, so it is possible he might be biased, but hey, if you want to debunk a religion, members of other religions can be pretty useful to mine information and highlight contradictions etc.

Reply #22 - January 08, 2015, 02:23 PM

RAIF BADAWI’S WIFE ACCEPTS AIKENHEAD AWARD AS HUSBAND AWAITS PUNISHMENT

Raif Badawi’s wife, Ensaf Haidar, has accepted the Scottish Secular Society’s annual Aikenhead award on his behalf. Haidar, an activist and human rights defender, fled first to Lebanon before seeking asylum in Canada where she now lives with their three children, two girls and a son. Raif Badawi stands convicted of “setting up a website that undermines general security”, “ridiculing Islamic religious figures”, and “going beyond the realm of obedience”.

Ensaf Haidar writes: –

“Ladies and Gentlemen, my husband Raif Badawi was imprisoned just because he expressed liberal opinions. This is a crime in Saudi Arabia, punishable with ten years imprisonment and 1000 barbaric lashes of a whip.

What my husband Raif was subjected to is an inquisition, done in the name of the Saudi interpretation of religion.

Shamefully one should add, Saudi Arabia is spending hundreds of millions on the King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz International Centre for Interreligious and Intercultural Dialogue, (KAICIID) in Austria – a public relations project to polish its image, which fails to hide the Kingdom’s persistent violations of human rights.

While promoting its so called ‘dialogue, openness and tolerance’ with the outside world, the Kingdom has been systematically silencing any expression or opinions or peaceful activism and sending those who dare to speak out behind bars.

My husband is one of them.

This glaring discrepancy has led the Austrian Green Party to demand its closure in Vienna, asking that the Kingdom begins by promoting these values first in its own land.

My husband has been awarded several prizes, including the Humanitarian Award of the Canadian Organization PEN and the Netizen Prize from Reporters Without Borders, and now you, the Scottish Secular Society, have awarded Raif the AIKENHEAD AWARD, 2015. I am both honoured and grateful for this distinction.

These awards send a clear message round the globe about the Saudi regime.

The continuation of Raif’s imprisonment is shameful, especially as the Kingdom claims to be part of the international coalition against the Islamic State (IS). Saudi Arabia is no different from the Islamic State when both lash and kill in the name of religion.

In the name of my husband Raif Badawi, I would like to express my sincere appreciation and gratitude to the Scottish Secular Society and to your Vice Chair, dear Ramin Forghani, for his continuous support.

It is this great international solidarity that reaffirms our belief in humanity.”

"I bow to the fighters that fight for freedom of expression just with Pen and Paper"......

Reply #23 - January 08, 2015, 02:32 PM

8 January 2015
    Saudi Arabia to commence public flogging of activist sentenced to 1,000 lashes

Amnesty International has learned that the imprisoned Saudi Arabian activist Raif Badawi will be flogged in public after Friday prayers tomorrow in front of al-Jafali mosque in Jeddah.

Raif Badawi was sentenced to 10 years in prison, 1,000 lashes and a fine of 1 million Saudi Arabian riyals (about US$266,600) last year for creating an online forum for public debate and accusations that he insulted Islam. According to information obtained by Amnesty International, Raif Badawi will receive up to 50 lashes tomorrow, while the rest of the full sentence of 1,000 lashes will be carried out over a period of 20 weeks.

“The news that Raif Badawi’s flogging will start tomorrow is shocking. The Saudi Arabian authorities must immediately halt all plans to carry out this brutal sentence. Flogging and other forms of corporal punishment are prohibited under international law, which prohibits torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment,” said Philip Luther, Middle East and North Africa Director for Amnesty International.

“It is horrifying to think that such a vicious and cruel punishment should be imposed on someone who is guilty of nothing more than daring to create a public forum for discussion and peacefully exercising the right to freedom of expression.”
    Amnesty International considers Raif Badawi a prisoner of conscience and is calling for his sentence to be quashed and for him to be released immediately and unconditionally.

http://www.amnesty.org/en/for-media/press-releases/saudi-arabia-commence-public-flogging-activist-sentenced-1000-lashes-2015-0
     Reply #24 - January 09, 2015, 07:09 PM

Saudi blogger Raef Badawi, lashed in public for 'insulting Islam'   sayanews..

JEDDAH: Saudi Arabia on Friday publicly flogged a blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes for insulting Islam, with Amnesty International condemning his punishment as a “vicious act of cruelty”. A Saudi court in September upheld a sentence of 10 years in prison as well as the flogging for Raef Badawi, who has been behind bars since June 2012.

Badawi was also ordered to pay a fine of one million riyals ($267,000, 192,00 euros).

The 30-year-old received a first installment of 50 lashes on Friday and is expected to have 20 weekly whipping sessions until his punishment is complete.

Witnesses said that Badawi was flogged after the weekly Friday prayers near Al-Jafali mosque in the Red Sea city of Jeddah as a crowd of worshipers looked on.  He was driven to the site in a police car, and taken out of the vehicle as a government employee read out the charges against him to the crowd.

The blogger was made to stand with his back to onlookers as another man began flogging him, witnesses said, adding that Badawi did not make any sound or cry in pain.

People who had emerged from noon prayers watched in silence and were ordered by security forces not to take any pictures on their mobile phones.

Badawi is the co-founder of the now-banned Saudi Liberal Network along with women’s rights campaigner Suad al-Shammari, who was also accused of insulting Islam and arrested last October. Shammari has said the charges against Badawi were levelled after the Saudi Liberal Network criticised clerics and the kingdom’s notorious religious police, who have been accused of a heavy-handed enforcement of the kingdom’s strict Sharia law.

In July 2013, a court initially sentenced Badawi to more than seven years in jail and 600 lashes, but an appeals court overturned the ruling, sending the case back for retrial when he received a harsher sentence.

The United States, Amnesty International and Reporters Without Borders have denounced the flogging as a horrific form of punishment, saying Badawi was exercising his right to freedom of expression.

London-based Amnesty International, citing witnesses, said the whole ordeal “lasted around 15 minutes” and that Badawi was shackled.

“The flogging of Raef Badawi is a vicious act of cruelty which is prohibited under international law,” said Amnesty's Said Boumedouha, describing the blogger as a “prisoner of conscience”.

“By ignoring international calls to cancel the flogging Saudi Arabia's authorities have demonstrated an abhorrent disregard for the most basic human rights principles.”

Amnesty, echoing other rights groups, said Badawi's “only 'crime' was to exercise his right to freedom of expression by setting up a website for public discussion,” and demanded his unconditional release.

Rights groups have also criticised Saudi Arabia, an absolute monarchy, for regularly beheading convicts under its strict version of Islamic Sharia law.

Rape, apostasy, murder, armed robbery and drug trafficking are all punishable by death in Saudi Arabia.

In Protest, I say and argue with  Americans, Londoners  and westerns TO CLOSE DOWN SAUDI EMBASSIES  and make nothing to come out of Sand Land and noting to go in to in to the sand land until Sauds are buried in the sand........

Reply #25 - January 09, 2015, 07:11 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/article-2903775/Saudi-blogger-lashed-public-insulting-Islam.html
    The flogging of Raef Badawi is a vicious act of cruelty which is prohibited under international law," said Amnesty's Said Boumedouha, describing the blogger as a "prisoner of conscience".

"By ignoring international calls to cancel the flogging Saudi Arabia's authorities have demonstrated an abhorrent disregard for the most basic human rights principles."

Rights groups have also criticised Saudi Arabia, an absolute monarchy, for regularly beheading convicts under its strict version of Islamic sharia law.

Rape, apostasy, murder, armed robbery and drug trafficking are all punishable by death.

- 'Brutal' and 'barbaric' -

Amnesty, echoing other rights groups, said Badawi's "only 'crime' was to exercise his right to freedom of expression by setting up a website for public discussion," and demanded his unconditional release.

The US had urged its ally Saudi Arabia to cancel the "brutal" lashing of Badawi.

"We are greatly concerned about reports that human rights activist Raef Badawi will start facing the inhumane punishment of 1,000 lashes in addition to serving a 10-year sentence in prison for exercising his rights to freedom of expression and religion," State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said Thursday.

That is NOT good enough for this Saud's kingdom..

Reply #26 - January 09, 2015, 08:38 PM

His son looks so much like him. Just want to hug them all!  far away hug

So sad  Cry

https://www.facebook.com/raifofficialpage/photos/a.562340473823055.1073741826.397451400311964/781852348538532/?type=1&theater
     Reply #27 - January 09, 2015, 08:46 PM

JeSuisRaif...JeSuisRaif...JeSuisRaif...JeSuisRaif

Reply #28 - January 10, 2015, 11:38 AM

If you haven't signed Atheer's petition yet - please do, and share it if you can:

https://www.change.org/p/free-and-safeguard-the-liberal-saudi-raif-badawy-no-600-lashes/u/9248681?tk=mreit0val01XZ5P7ebuDw6RIgxt7QbvxXznqx13vF1s&utm_source=petition_update&utm_medium=email
     Reply #29 - January 10, 2015, 06:07 PM

I am sickened and saddened to share the news that, despite a powerful global outcry, Raif Badawi was flogged this morning after morning prayers in Jeddah.

An eyewitness shared his account of Raif's brutal flogging with Amnesty. It's almost too difficult to read.

"Raif was escorted from a bus and placed in the middle of the crowd, guarded by eight or nine officers. He was handcuffed and shackled but his face was not covered - everyone could see his face...

A security officer approached him from behind with a huge cane and started beating him.

Raif raised his head towards the sky, closing his eyes and arching his back. He was silent, but you could tell from his face and his body that he was in real pain.

The officer beat Raif on his back and legs, counting the lashes until they reached 50.

The punishment took about 5 minutes. It was very quick, with no break in between lashes."
    Saudi Arabian authorities' decision to inflict such a vicious, cruel form of punishment on a nonviolent activist like Raif is shocking. But it is imperative that we neither look away from such cruelty, nor be shocked into silence.

Raif's ordeal is only beginning - he is scheduled to be flogged another 950 times over the next 19 weeks. This means that our work as activists is also just beginning. In response to the Saudi authorities' brutality, we must strengthen our call. Join me in demanding that Raif is not flogged again and call for his immediate release.

According to the final court decision against Raif Badawi, he could be lashed another 50 times at any point over the next two weeks. Let's make the authorities hear us.

With hope for justice,

http://act.amnestyusa.org/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1839&ea.campaign.id=34661&ea.tracking.id=Country_SaudiArabia~MessagingCategory_CensorshipandFreeSpeech&ac=W1501EAIAR4&ea.url.id=346180
  • 12 3 ... 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »