Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Ex Muslim from Calgary, Canada here

(Read 3491 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Ex Muslim from Calgary, Canada here
     OP - July 23, 2013, 01:35 PM

I discovered this forum a couple of weeks ago and had no idea there were this many ex  Muslims! This makes me so happy. I want to express my sincere thanks to the moderators, developers, and webmasters of this site. This site really makes me see I  am not alone. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way either.   The way my family, actually any practicing Muslim talks, makes you think very few people turn away from Islam. Anyways, I do want to introduce myself and attempt to describe to what led me here.

I am a 37 year old male, born and raised in Canada.  My parents are from Pakistan.  Up until about 12 years ago, I was very devout: praying 5xs a day, reading the Qu'ran every night, fasting. But even when I was religious, I had to ignore some aspects of Islam to believe.  Specifically, the view towards women.  I can't remember the exact quote, but it was something along the lines of 1 man witness = 4 women. Basically, if only one women witnessed a crime, it didn't count. Anyways, I slowly realized I shouldn't have to ignore certain pieces. This is the same cherry picking method that Muslims use now when they claim Islam is a religion of peace. I think that is total bullshit.  I mean there is this Book of Mormon play (which I totally want to see).  Imagine the uproar and fatwahs if there was a Book of Islam? Why is it okay to mock every religion but Islam.  Yes I think all religions are full of shit (hence my Atheism) but whenever Family Guy depicts Jesus in a derogatory fashion (which it does rather frequently), the pope doesn't call for Seth MacFarlane to be killed.

I am a full time, single dad too, so I have a lot of influence over my 9 year old son.  I have told him what I believe, but told him he is free to believe anything he wants, I will accept it unconditionally, whether its Christianity, Buddhism, or even Islam (barf).  In any case, I don't want to directly influence his beliefs- much like my parents did. Anyways, that's me in a nutshell.

By the way, I don't know if this is only a Muslim thing, but why is it whenever Muslims listen to a khutba or someone reading the Qu'ran, they immediately start rocking like their head suddenly got 50 lbs heavier....
     Reply #1 - July 23, 2013, 01:59 PM

Welcome newbie Canadian dude, have a parrot.   parrot parrot

I think the head shaking thing is just that ridiculous outward display of religiousity that certain religious people feel they need to do.  Like "look at me, I'm so into this shit, this is deep stuff"

Also, it's 2 women witnesses to one man, you might be getting confused with the 4 witnesses to rape before it's accepted, 4 men, or 8 women.   Roll Eyes

Anyway welcome welcome, from another single parent with super influence on the minds of her young, glad to have you on board and looking forward to seeing you enjoy the forum.   Afro

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #2 - July 23, 2013, 03:42 PM

Welcome to the forum  Smiley
     Reply #3 - July 23, 2013, 04:23 PM

Welcome, xodarap Smiley

Seems like this place is being swamped by ex-muslim Canucks Tongue

Not an ex-muslim myself. I just ended up here for teh lulz. The Internet works in mysterious ways.

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #4 - July 23, 2013, 04:42 PM

Hi xodarap great to have you here  Smiley

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #5 - July 23, 2013, 04:46 PM

signwelcome
    welcome to the dark side

and as BarberElla said, i think you mistook the worth of a woman as a witness; in inheritance; blood money etc as being half of a man, and the requirement of 4 witness (man) in a rape case

now that you're here, have some bacon  piggy
     Reply #6 - July 23, 2013, 05:49 PM

Yeah, I don't know the exact ratio of men's witness worthiness to a woman's and to what crime it relates.  Suffice it to say, I thought it was and is bullshit. But thanks for the welcome and assortment of animals! Smiley
     Reply #7 - July 23, 2013, 05:54 PM

Welcome to the forum fellow Canadian !!!

Have a parrot parrot   

Hows the calgary stampede this year?  Smiley

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #8 - July 23, 2013, 06:06 PM

Hey Rebel great to see a fellow Canadian! The Stampede was definitely smaller because of the floods. The only reason I go anyways is because of my son.  Too over priced for me...
     Reply #9 - July 23, 2013, 06:24 PM

parrot

Does devotion to Islam correlate with climate?  Do snow and ice weaken belief?

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #10 - July 23, 2013, 06:28 PM

Welcome from a fellow newbie, xodarap!  parrot

Does devotion to Islam correlate with climate?  Do snow and ice weaken belief?

I grew up in the American northeast, a relatively snowy and icy area... I think you may be on to something, moi  Tongue
     Reply #11 - July 23, 2013, 06:28 PM

moi, I never thought of that! I have never heard of an imam from Greenland, so I too think you may be onto something here!
     Reply #12 - July 23, 2013, 09:05 PM

Welcome to the forum xodarap!  Smiley

Reply #13 - July 23, 2013, 09:42 PM

I have heard of a Somali Alaskan fisherman though!

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #14 - July 23, 2013, 09:44 PM

I remember the good ol' days of rocking my head back and forward, reciting the Quran in a foreign language like a mindless zombie. Courtesy of my madrassah days spanning 10 years.

Welcome to the forum!
     Reply #15 - July 23, 2013, 10:37 PM

moi, I never thought of that! I have never heard of an imam from Greenland, so I too think you may be onto something here!

Well, he is not FROM Greenland, but he went there for a couple of years - after the "Criticism of former allies"-part in the below link.

Google translate version of the Danish WikiPedia-entry on Ahmed Akkari (as it has way more information than the English ditto).

I actually met the guy back in 2002. Had some questions for him (I knew next to nothing about Islam then) about gender equality and it pretty fast ended up with "BECAUSE QUR'AN!!!". Gotta hand him that.

Haven't heard about him in the media lately. Wonder what he is up to. He lives in Gellerup in Århus. Sometimes I get the impression Muslims (majority of the inhabitants) there have created a whole new sect of Islam with their own rules.

Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #16 - July 23, 2013, 11:13 PM

Fascinating read Nikolaj. That Danish carton uproar really chapped my ass.  Although now I know that Muslims are a very sensitive bunch- but only when it comes to Islam.  They say freedom of religion...
     Reply #17 - July 24, 2013, 12:07 AM

Thread jacked

Well yeah - I thought at the time it was stupid by that news paper and I found it unnecessary and uncalled for - but that is what that news paper does best... It is very conservative and recently had a bash at LGBT-people, albeit this time it didn't spill outside of our national borders so we could face palm uninterrupted as we pleased.

Ahmed Akkari, Abu Laban (pretty nasty Islamist - now dead (cancer, I seem to recall), but his son is of the same kind and just got a Danish citizenship) and the other Islamists going to the Middle East to show how badly Muslims are treated in Denmark didn't help.

And then people started to get killed in the riots around in the world. WTF? If just the Danish Muslims would have kept that shit inside the country borders people wouldn't have lost loved ones. I hope Ahmed Akkari realises this today.

By the way, an Iraqi refugee I knew said he went to Jordan (long time after he had gotten refugee status in Denmark) on vacation and people could hear he wasn't Jordanian. So when they asked where he came from he said "Denmark" and people felt so sorry for him - they thought Muslims were hunted through the streets and people throwing stones at them. And he loves his new country, the free education and health system, so he was actually a very happy camper and several times had to wallah that he and his family are fine in Denmark.
    "It was like they thought I was treated like we treat the Kurds back in my village!" 015
    (His sense of irony and humour did certainly help him to feel at home in Denmark - also as a believing muslim)

Yes, some very vocal guys seem to be a bit jumpy. However it seems to be fine in line with scripture...  lipsrsealed

Reply #18 - July 24, 2013, 01:41 AM

There is freedom of religion in islam though, this can't be denied. You can poach people from every religion on the face of the Earth whatever their faith and once you embrace islam you are free to practice islam exactly how the quran commands. Wouldn't recommend trying to exercise the freedom to leave it for something else though, at least in an Islamic country.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »