Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: The Health Benefits Of Not Fasting And The Negative Effects Of Fasting

(Read 4423 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • The Health Benefits Of Not Fasting And The Negative Effects Of Fasting
     OP - July 16, 2013, 02:17 PM

The 'benefits' of fasting are always rolled out every year to help convince muslims that allah has their spiritual, mental, physical health and well-being in mind when he came up with the idea. But what are the negative effects of fasting.
    Now that some of us have experienced what it's like to not fast for a month every 355 days, I'd like to know if you have seen any benefits that you may not have gained otherwise.

For me, I have found that in the past when I fasted, I used to put on more weight by the end of the month, starved of food or drink, it's hard to not gorge yourself on food after iftar, and it's always fried, sweet, unhealthy type foods for a whole month. And also eating food in the middle of the night and then going to sleep isn't a bright idea. I've already got the middle age spread and I'm trying to fight off what looks like an impressive beer belly, so I don't need this crap every year.
    So I would say, eating normally and eating a variety of foods, little but often throughout the day is a benefit of not fasting.

I can think of more but I'll see what others think first.
     Reply #1 - July 16, 2013, 02:50 PM

For me the main gripe with fasting is my brain just shuts down, often I fail to put together a coherent thought as the fast drags on. Also when working in an enviroment where efficiency is required, fasting will create performance issue.

Mostly fasting is fine in moderation. Thankfully muslims see sense to restrict fasting to those who are healthy.

Bieng south-asain, all those pakoras, somosas, kebabs and chaat etc are so difficult to resist, resulting in me having stomach pains because of the high oil content.
     Reply #2 - July 16, 2013, 03:00 PM

I agree with what you say about fasting causing the brain to shut down, I think it may have an effect of making people more suggestible. Maybe that's why muslims become more religious in this month.
     Reply #3 - July 16, 2013, 03:12 PM

Ye I can see what mean. After a long day of fasting most of the time i can't seem bothered to argue. So i just pray and go a a long with it. I have been water fasting this ramadan, I feel a lot more invigorated than previous years. I don't know any benefit of withholding water from the body unless you have non functional kidneys.
     Reply #4 - July 18, 2013, 09:45 PM

There are no benefits of fasting in my opinion,
    But I've had people try to tell me that in Ramadan they lose weight because they are only consuming two meals instead of 3,

Reply #5 - July 19, 2013, 04:59 AM

Anyone notice Hindus never try to push the idea yoga is healthy? People actually know it is.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #6 - July 19, 2013, 07:30 AM

Lol to be fair though, hindus don't need to, white middle class women pushed that for them.  Grin

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #7 - July 19, 2013, 09:20 AM

I always heard it from doctors and other health professionals. Though always only saw the white middle class enjoying it on American telly. Which is odd considering the obesity in the US compared to over here. Evil liberals trying to brainwash them into being healthy and therefore taking away their freedom?

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #8 - August 07, 2013, 08:29 PM

As a weight lifter and soccer player.. I can safely say fasting is not healthy  Wink

Dehydration, Binge eating, slowing metabolism, light headedness, resulting laziness from reduced energy levels.. can i go on? yes
     Reply #9 - August 07, 2013, 09:41 PM

I'm pretty sure that fasting is not healthy when it;s hot or a heatwave and also if you need to be extremely physically active throughout the day- the body needs fluid in those circumstances.
    In general though, I don't see a problem with fasting as long as you eat sensibly during Iftari and Sehri and don't overdo it . You should though, take in plenty of fluids at those times.

When truth is hurled against falsehood, falsehood perishes, for falsehood by its nature is bound to perish.
     Reply #10 - August 07, 2013, 09:52 PM

Lol to be fair though, hindus don't need to, white middle class women pushed that for them.  Grin

^^^This

I always heard it from doctors and other health professionals. Though always only saw the white middle class enjoying it on American telly. Which is odd considering the obesity in the US compared to over here. Evil liberals trying to brainwash them into being healthy and therefore taking away their freedom?

Obesity in America is not largely a white middle class problem. It's more a working-class and poor problem here particularly in more rural/suburban areas. There is poor mass transit and pedestrian infrastructure in much of the US, making people more reliant on cars to get around. Combine that with the unhealthiest food seeming to be the cheapest most of the time, poor social welfare and healthcare insurance, changes in lifestyle and work that have made people live more sedentary lives, and a multibillion dollar industry aimed at pushing as much cheap fast junk food down our gullets as it can, and, voila, you have possibly the only nation in the world where the poor people are fat and the rich skinny.

fuck you
     Reply #11 - August 07, 2013, 10:30 PM

^^^This

Obesity in America is not largely a white middle class problem. It's more a working-class and poor problem here particularly in more rural/suburban areas. There is poor mass transit and pedestrian infrastructure in much of the US, making people more reliant on cars to get around. Combine that with the unhealthiest food seeming to be the cheapest most of the time, poor social welfare and healthcare insurance, changes in lifestyle and work that have made people live more sedentary lives, and a multibillion dollar industry aimed at pushing as much cheap fast junk food down our gullets as it can, and, voila, you have possibly the only nation in the world where the poor people are fat and the rich skinny.

rubbish.. you are talking nonsense  daffi.,

Poor/rich every one is fat in AMRIKA .. because they have fat in their heads ., Either poor or rich Those who are smart and cook and  eat decent food in home are quite healthy Daffi .. Now you stop eating junk food..

Are these guys from  AMRIKA poor?

http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2009/01/28/pagesix/photos_galleries/G2282_photo01.jpg

http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2009/01/28/pagesix/photos_galleries/G2282_photo02.jpg

http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2009/01/28/pagesix/photos_galleries/G2282_photo03.jpg

http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2009/01/28/pagesix/photos_galleries/G2282_photo04.jpg

http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2009/01/28/pagesix/photos_galleries/G2282_photo05.jpg

http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2009/01/28/pagesix/photos_galleries/G2282_photo07.jpg

http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2009/01/28/pagesix/photos_galleries/G2282_photo08.jpg

I can give 1000s and 1000s AMRIKANS like that... Are they not rich?  Or are they not fat??

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #12 - August 08, 2013, 12:59 AM

Yeez, live here for a minute you'll get it (or at least should). Yes the tabloids like the NY Post love showing off rich celebrities who got fat as some kind of pandering to popular schadenfreude, hardly solid evidence refuting or impeaching what I'm saying though.

fuck you
     Reply #13 - August 08, 2013, 07:29 AM

Reason people are fat here is a combination of things.

Fasting barely affects weight, it slows the metabolism like i said. Therefore less calories are being consumed. If you lose fat then you'll lose muscle as well with it
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »