Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: If apostasy is wrong, I don't want to be right!

(Read 10202 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • If apostasy is wrong, I don't want to be right!
     OP - July 18, 2013, 03:46 PM

Hello everyone--American here, born and raised! I grew up in a devout Muslim household in a city that was predominantly white and Catholic. For the better portion of my childhood, I went to Friday school every Friday evening at the local masjid where I learned to read and memorize Qu'ran, plus learned all the usual Islamic values. My faith was incredibly strong, and in spite of the fact that most of my friends were Christians or agnostics who drank and partied, I remained sincerely steadfast in my belief.

Then, at 18, I went off to college, where I was exposed to a whole new world of people and ideas. I won't go into all the details that led to me shedding my belief and becoming an atheist a year later (maybe I'll save that for a lengthier post in the Blogs/Bios section), but I will say that the first time I really started to doubt and question Islam was when I went on Hajj with my family during that first year of college. So deliciously ironic  grin12. I always get a kick thinking about that.

Anyway, I'm 26 now (7 years Islam-free and counting!).  My friends all know I'm atheist, but even my closest friends just don't understand what that journey was like for me. They don't understand what it's like to be raised in a religious Muslim family, and they don't understand how painful, difficult, and rewarding it was for me to break free from religion. They don't understand that it was the single most important decision of my life.

But the people on this forum do understand, and I've been searching for that kind of understanding for a while now, and of the few ex-Muslim forums/communities I could find, I think this is definitely the best one, so I finally decided to join. Looking forward to contributing and getting to know everybody!
     Reply #1 - July 18, 2013, 03:56 PM

Welcome, Iceman! Yeah baby, we Americans are taking over the forum!! (USA! USA)  dance Have some customary welcome animals:  parrot bunny, it's sunnah around here.
     Reply #2 - July 18, 2013, 04:12 PM

Hello Iceman, and welcome. I'm intrigued by your story, really want to know what happened when you went to Hajj.
    You are right about ex-Muslims being the only ones who could truly understand what it's like to go through the turmoil of realizing the truth of human existence, as it totally goes against the virulent ideology that has been indoctrinated into muslims from birth.

Are you a fan of the superhero Iceman, or the Iceman who made veiled homosexual advances to Maverick at the end of the film Top Gun?

No animals from me, never liked sunnah even as a muslim.
     Reply #3 - July 18, 2013, 04:57 PM

signwelcome
    welcome Iceman, i'm new here too
    so do your family knows about your apostasy? (mine don't) if yes, how did they take it?

and like UberSlave, i'm also curious on what happened during your Hajj.
    if i have to guess, i think it's how pagan-ish Islam really is after all the things it claimed and said about the pagans
    for example i remember how muslim mocks christian for eating and drinking the "flesh and blood" of christ, holy water etc, or an idolator praying to a statue of their god, yet muslim circles around Kabah, kissing black stone, throw stones at satan, and sacrifice animal (Qurban)
    oh and Islam has it's own holy water, the Zam zam water  Cheesy
     Reply #4 - July 18, 2013, 06:07 PM

Welcome to the forum Mr Amrikah.
    Did someone try to spit game at you in hajj? A friend told me the gaurds there are realy horny 

parrot
     Reply #5 - July 18, 2013, 08:31 PM

Welcome Iceman Smiley
    I can't wait to read ur bio  grin12
     Reply #6 - July 18, 2013, 09:35 PM

Hiya iceman Smiley

I'm new here too,
    Can't wait to read your bio and especially about your trip to hajj
     Reply #7 - July 18, 2013, 10:37 PM

Welcome Iceman,
    Love the name btw.  Smiley

Are you a fan of the superhero Iceman, or the Iceman who made veiled homosexual advances to Maverick at the end of the film Top Gun?

Or is it after UFC iconic legend, Chuck Liddell?
     Reply #8 - July 18, 2013, 11:51 PM

Hi there Iceman!

Welcome to the site grin12

Being a non-Muslim Dane and knowing that Denmark produces more than 28 mio. pigs a year (that is 5 pigs per inhabitant) I find it to be proper etiquette to give you this pig as a welcome: piggy

Best regards,
    Nikolaj  Smiley

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #9 - July 19, 2013, 02:42 AM

Welcome Iceman. I never knew you were raised Muslim. Does Wolverine know? (Anyone who doesn't get the joke has no taste in literature)

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #10 - July 19, 2013, 04:01 AM

Welcome brother in non Islam !!

Nothing can be more contrary to religion and the clergy than reason and common sense. - Voltaire
     Reply #11 - July 20, 2013, 12:05 AM

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! Great to see the diversity here, people from all parts of the world and walks of life. And the animals are a plus too  parrot  bunny  piggy  Afro

Regarding my name: Iceman from the X-Men universe, Top Gun, and Chuck Liddell are all very cool... however, my username was actually inspired by one of my favorite plays, The Iceman Cometh by Eugene O'Neill (also by the fact that I like ice and I am a man).

signwelcome
    welcome Iceman, i'm new here too
    so do your family knows about your apostasy? (mine don't) if yes, how did they take it?

and like UberSlave, i'm also curious on what happened during your Hajj.
    if i have to guess, i think it's how pagan-ish Islam really is after all the things it claimed and said about the pagans
    for example i remember how muslim mocks christian for eating and drinking the "flesh and blood" of christ, holy water etc, or an idolator praying to a statue of their god, yet muslim circles around Kabah, kissing black stone, throw stones at satan, and sacrifice animal (Qurban)
    oh and Islam has it's own holy water, the Zam zam water  Cheesy

My family doesn't know. The first few years of my apostasy, I didn't tell them out of fear--fear that they'd be disappointed in me, that they'd never look at me the same again, that they wouldn't love me anymore. I am definitely lucky in that my family, though devoutly religious, are not the type that would cut me off and disown me, but still the fear of shame and embarrassment was strong through most of my life. However, over the last few years I've reached a point where I don't really care about what people think about me, including what my family thinks about me. Now my reason for keeping it a secret from them is to protect them. As much as I hate their blind and unquestioned devotion to a bunch of nonsense (and how I have to put up a front whenever I'm at home), they have always been loving and proud of me, and aside from the crazy religious stuff, my mother is the nicest person I know and I credit her for a lot of who I am today. I know that if I were to tell her about my unbelief, a piece of her would die inside, and I don't want her to have to go through that grief.

Regarding my Hajj experience: the most vivid memory I have from the experience is something that seems insignificant (and probably is)--lying in a hotel bed in Madina at night thinking about "eternity" and how much it terrified me. Can you imagine living forever and ever and ever and ever without any end? What would there be to look forward to? Just existing, literally forever, without any endpoint in sight, for trillions upon trillions of years. And I thought about how disproportionate the idea of the afterlife was; I do good (or bad) in this life for 20 or 50 or 90 years, and based on that I get to reside in heaven (or hell) for infinity years? Infinity is a long time, and I lay in bed thinking about how it'd actually be nice if there were no such thing as heaven or hell or the hereafter. And then I felt so incredibly guilty and ashamed and sinful for having thought that. After all, Allah knew best, right? How could I have questioned his wisdom? What would my family think?

A few days later, we went to Makkah, and the first thing that struck me was the area directly around Masjid Al-Haram. Fancy hotels with marble floors and shiny walls and luxury spilling out the front doors, and just a block or two away all the squalid, run-down, sometimes even filthy buildings inhabited by the locals. I couldn't understand the disparity. The prayers here lasted so much longer than the prayers in any American mosque I'd ever been in, 30 or 45 minutes each, and they were led by imams whose knowledge and mastery of the Qu'ran were some of the best in the world. Most of these people prayed more in a day than I did in a week. Why didn't Allah make his biggest devotees' conditions better? Why did he let them live in such horrible conditions?

And then there's all the pagan symbolism you mentioned, hikaru. The whole time I was there, I knew I was supposed to be feeling privileged for having the opportunity to perform Hajj, knew I was supposed to be getting closer to god, but the only thing I could think about was how pointless and stupid and idolatrous the whole thing seemed. "Walk seven times between two pillars? To what end? Throw stones at a wall because the devil supposedly stood there centuries ago? Shave my head? And why do I have to wear robes? Just give me a damn pair of boxer shorts. What makes Zam Zam so special? Have scientists tested this stuff? Is it even safe to drink in large quantities? Circling a black rock? What for? How is this supposed to bring me closer to god? Don't people get trampled to death here every year? What kind of god would let that happen to his followers in the holiest of places during the holiest of pilgrimages? A lot of these rituals seem awfully silly, kind of like something a cult-leader would think up to... OH MY GOD, I'm in a cult."

Well, maybe there wasn't a huge epiphany at the end. I was still in denial on the plane ride back to the States, but I think deep down inside I knew my belief had unraveled and shattered and that, like Humpty Dumpty, it couldn't be put back together again. Even after Hajj, it took almost a year of thought and contemplation before the process was finally complete and I was willing to accept that I had become THE A-WORD.

Welcome to the forum Mr Amrikah.
    Did someone try to spit game at you in hajj? A friend told me the gaurds there are realy horny 

Nope, I didn't experience anything like that, but maybe it's because I'm a guy? I'll have to ask my female cousins if they got harassed at all, haha.

Welcome Iceman. I never knew you were raised Muslim. Does Wolverine know? (Anyone who doesn't get the joke has no taste in literature)

Cheesy  Hell, Logan's the one who converted me to an atheist.
     Reply #12 - July 20, 2013, 01:26 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loawMpfpOZM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIkMpGLy1rI

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #13 - July 20, 2013, 09:08 AM

Fascinating post, Iceman. Welcome to the forum  Afro

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #14 - July 20, 2013, 12:22 PM

Can you imagine living forever and ever and ever and ever without any end? What would there be to look forward to? Just existing, literally forever, without any endpoint in sight, for trillions upon trillions of years.

one of thing i fear about eternity is how it's gonna get bored eventually.

Don't people get trampled to death here every year?

when my mom went to perform Hajj, i'm really worried about her getting trampled or missing. fortunately she returned safely.

A lot of these rituals seem awfully silly, kind of like something a cult-leader would think up to... OH MY GOD, I'm in a cult." 

you were  Tongue and so was i and other ex-muslims
     Reply #15 - July 21, 2013, 03:25 AM

Fascinating post, Iceman. Welcome to the forum  Afro

Thanks, billy!

you were  Tongue and so was i and other ex-muslims

Haha. The scariest thing is that it's so obvious in hindsight, but when you're actually wrapped up in all the religious bullshit, it seems like the most genuine and truthful thing in the world. I guess the good thing about having grown up in a "cult" is that it makes me a little more sympathetic toward all the people who still believe in that stuff.
     Reply #16 - July 21, 2013, 03:58 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Have a parrot  parrot

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #17 - July 22, 2013, 11:47 PM

Regarding my name: Iceman from the X-Menuniverse, Top Gun, and Chuck Liddell are all very cool... however, my username was actually inspired by one ofmy favorite plays, The Iceman Cometh by Eugen O'Neill

Gutted, you got in there first, that was my next guess. That play/book sits on a shelf of my folks house. I remember reading the back, something about a sales man in a dingy NewYork Gin bar, early tweentieth century. I never read the story but the name sounded cool so I couldn't help have a glance. I suppose some of us European types dont give alot of Americans enough credit for being well read but for me just by reading the posts of some of our American members on this forum the notion is being debunked. Tsk snooty europeans.
     Reply #18 - July 23, 2013, 06:09 PM

^ haha, well, in your defense, I think most Americans aren't well-read. But maybe the most well-read ones find themselves doubting god/religion more than the average person, and consequently find their way here to this forum...

Welcome to the forum.

Have a parrot  parrot

Thanks!

Don't know what I'm going to do with all these parrots  parrot  I guess, for starters, I should buy some parrot food.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »