Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: A fatwa from al Azhar about apostasy from Islam

(Read 15355 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • A fatwa from al Azhar about apostasy from Islam
     OP - July 12, 2013, 09:12 AM

This is a fatwa issued in 1978 by the al Azhar seminary in Cairo.

Al Azhar is part of the mainstream of Sunni Islam. Its edicts, direction and rulings are considered to be highly authoritative. Its membership encompasses all four schools of Sunni Islamic jurisprudence.

The ‘advice’ given here cannot be dismissed as having been given by a fringe extremist body. It is advice sanctioned by the most prestigious mainstream seminary in Sunni Islam.

Translation of the fatwa:

In the name of Allah Most Gracious Most Merciful

Al-Azhar
    Fatwa Committee

A question from Mr. Ahmed Darwish who presented the question through Mr. (Blanked out) of German nationality:

A Muslim man of Egyptian nationality married a Christian woman of German nationality. The two spouses agreed that the aforementioned Muslim man would enter the Christian religion and join the Christian creed.

1.   What is the ruling of Islam regarding this person’s situation?
    2.   Are his children considered Muslims or Christians and what is their ruling?

The Answer:

All praises are due to Allah, lord of all the worlds. And peace and blessings be upon the greatest of all messengers, our master Muhammad and  upon his family and companions all together. As for what follows:

We inform that he has apostatized after having been in a state of Islam, so he should be asked to repent. If he does not repent, he should be killed according to the sharia.

As for his children, so long as they are small they are Muslims. After they have attained maturity, if they remain in Islam then they are Muslims. If they leave it, then they should be asked to repent. If they do not repent, they should be killed. And Allah knows best.

President of the Fatwa Committee of Al-Azhar

Seal of the Committee

September 23, 1978

To reiterate:

•This man should be asked to convert back to Islam. If he doesn't, he should be killed.

•Since his kids are still young, they are considered Muslim. Once they hit puberty, if they stay Muslim, they're fine; if they convert to Christianity, they're asked to revert to Islam; if they refuse, they should be killed. And Allah knows best.

This is a ruling that represents the orthodox Sunni position on apostasy. Some people claim that with some legalistic pedantry this position can be altered and made circumstantial, or that depending on certain factors, is not punishable in this world, only by Allah in the afterlife. Some suggest that ‘mercy’ shown to ex-Muslims is contingent on them repenting.

Nevertheless, this fatwa represents how ex-Muslims face immense levels of theologically sanctioned hate, prejudice and persecution.

It demonstrates how there are deep internal ethical flaws within Islam regarding freedom of conscience.

And it provides a glimpse into the fear and horror that prevents ex-Muslims from speaking freely, and the social pressures that ex-Muslims face.

Whilst Islam avails itself of the principle of freedom of worship and belief in secular societies, and evangelises itself through the practise of ‘da’wah’, it also contains a deeply immoral taboo against leaving Islam.

This teaching results in true freedom of conscience being stunted. It defines leaving Islam as a crime of such immensity that fear, silence and violence prevail and define the experience of ex-Muslims, dissenters and critics of Islam.

This teaching and the social taboo and persecution sanctioned by it, is antithetical to values of free conscience, free expression, secularism and liberalism.

Confronting this teaching begins with speaking out and breaking the silence about its persistence.

Those who claim that Islam is ‘perfect’ and seek to snuff out the exposure of this teaching and social attitude seek to snuff out the most important and precious of all our freedoms – of free conscience and free expression, and the primacy of the individual over the collective community and the cruel writ of supposedly divine authority.

Reply #1 - July 24, 2013, 06:32 PM

Whenever I hear a Muslim tells me that "Islam is the fastest growing religion"

Yeah?

I am pretty much sure that any group that has "Queen of hearts" attitude can be the largest and the fastest group.

Your religion is not that unique or special

YOLO AND SWAG WILL SET YOU FREE
     Reply #2 - July 24, 2013, 06:49 PM

Actually, percentage wise technically the Bahá'í Faith is the world's fastest growing religion. There's also far more people leaving religion or even believe in God that there are new converts to islam. In 2010 christianity was the largest, islam the second largest, atheist/agnostic the third largest, followed by hinduism as fourth largest. Though obviously atheism/agnosticism isn't a religion or a faith it'll soon overtake islam and then christianiy afterwards if the current trend continues.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #3 - July 24, 2013, 07:56 PM

But still
    without the "kill the apostate" rule
    we would have seen the percentage of Muslims leaving Islam doubled, if not more.

I mean HELLO!
    the Council of Ex-Muslim was founded because of that silly law

YOLO AND SWAG WILL SET YOU FREE
     Reply #4 - July 24, 2013, 08:24 PM

Imagine Islam without fear of Jahannam and it being culturally acceptable to both question and leave the religion...

That is what I mean when I say that Muslims should to be emancipated from Islam.

And I feel bigoted saying that even after two months here wacko

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #5 - July 24, 2013, 10:28 PM

As for his children, so long as they are small they are Muslims. After they have attained maturity, if they remain in Islam then they are Muslims. If they leave it, then they should be asked to repent. If they do not repent, they should be killed. And Allah knows best

This almost reminds me of the Christian doctrine of original sin, except that in Islam it doesn't kick in until you reach puberty.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #6 - July 24, 2013, 10:34 PM

Christianity - remember - NO SIN! NO SALVATION! Come to the dark side. We have beer!

My "muslim" colleagues liked that take on it. Also the "if Mohammed will not come to the beer, the beer wil come to Mohammed"(long story!). Mohammed was amused and took the train back home instead of his car. I'll let you guys do the math Tongue

Even in a work place with a lot of Muslims people aren't that anal about it.

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #7 - July 25, 2013, 01:25 AM

Is that fatwa still binding? Do fatwas lapse with time? Has it been superceded by another?

Come in, TwitBlogger...
     Reply #8 - November 06, 2013, 01:32 AM

Is that fatwa still binding? Do fatwas lapse with time? Has it been superceded by another?

Whether the fatwa is binding or not is not that important because the fatwa basically is just retelling what is already explicitly written in the most authentic hadiths (Muslim and Bukhari)

So unless al azhar issues a fatwa saying that muslims should not follow certain hadiths the punishment for apostasy still stands.

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #9 - November 06, 2013, 01:39 AM

Imagine Islam without fear of Jahannam and it being culturally acceptable to both question and leave the religion...

That is what I mean when I say that Muslims should to be emancipated from Islam.

And I feel bigoted saying that even after two months here wacko

Why do you feel bigoted?

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »