Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: PEW study: 93% of Muslims say they fast during Ramadan

(Read 3251 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • PEW study: 93% of Muslims say they fast during Ramadan
     OP - July 09, 2013, 03:36 PM

Back from Roskilde festival (where I actually ended up kind of fasting food-wise as a non-Muslim even pre-Ramadan - wouldn't take time off from valuable nude beer bonging-time) and I noticed this PEW article:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/07/09/global-median-of-93-of-muslims-say-they-fast-during-ramadan/

Including this graphic:

Knowing some non-fasting Bosnian "Muslims" (in Denmark) I wonder why Bosnia-Herzegovina comes in at 75%. I need to stalk one soon with that question.

And is that percentage for all values of "fasting"? I have known a Macedonian-Albanian Muslim who raved about Ramadan. A few days later he was eating some candy so I asked him about the fast. "I don't fast today". He was even eating run-of-the-mill wine gums. Very pragmatic young fellow.
    I'm pretty sure he would answer "yes" to a question about if he observed the fast. I think he was in it for the post-sunset feasts and (sub)cultural togetherness.
    Also, the Ramadan was in November back then so the fast was nothing compared to this year.

Great, now I made myself hungry and my fridge is empty. I'll go get some beer and pork to make a dinner in honour of random pagan deities and ask them to accept this sacrifice (by consuming the meal myself!) and hopefully they will do their best to ease the hardship of my involuntarily fasting-hit fellow humanoids. However, one problem with pagan deities is that they sometimes fuck up.

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #1 - July 09, 2013, 08:58 PM

I.e many are hypocrites and it would be better to live on 1 pound a day for a week or two to appreciate what the poor ACTUALLY go through instead of putting on a show with hedonistic breaking of fasts with a huge binge.
     Reply #2 - July 09, 2013, 09:31 PM

I.e many are hypocrites and it would be better to live on 1 pound a day for a week or two to appreciate what the poor ACTUALLY go through instead of putting on a show with hedonistic breaking of fasts with a huge binge.

Comprehending the plight of the poor is only one (obscurantist, might I add) facet of the fast. More prosaically it's a spiritual exercise affirming a kind of quasi-nihilistic fatalism.
     Reply #3 - July 09, 2013, 10:31 PM

I.e it's like an Emo cutting herself cause she 'wants to feel the pain', basically food, drink and stimulation deprivation instead of cutting yourself.
     Reply #4 - July 10, 2013, 12:24 AM

Right then.

Roll Eyes
     Reply #5 - July 10, 2013, 05:22 PM

I love how fasting is more of a priority than charity.

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
     Reply #6 - July 10, 2013, 05:32 PM

It's more visual CrunchyCDs, therefore affords more kudos in the general community, charity isn't so visual. 
     Reply #7 - July 10, 2013, 05:35 PM

I love how fasting is more of a priority than charity.

That is because rascals know well that there going to eat whole lot of feast after fasting..

Trust me, if they know that there is no food after fasting sure they will forget fasting and  run for food

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #8 - July 10, 2013, 05:36 PM

It's a funny thing, how fasting is this huge deal to most Muslims. My mum knows I don't really pray but I can't just not fast during Ramadan. For some reason, almost everyone fasts -- even those who don't pray or wear hijab or give a shit about anything else Islamic -- and it's super taboo not to fast.
     Reply #9 - July 10, 2013, 06:21 PM

Even as a kafir, you would get dirty looks from Muslims if they see you eat or drink.
     Reply #10 - July 10, 2013, 10:02 PM

That's weird, surely fasting is to experience how it is for those that are less fortunate but how can you really experience it if you're not seeing others eat around you. Even when I was a Muslim I thought those that get angry when people eat around them are whiny and just need to learn a lesson from it...
     Reply #11 - July 10, 2013, 10:20 PM

It's guilt tourism.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #12 - July 11, 2013, 08:24 AM

It's a funny thing, how fasting is this huge deal to most Muslims. My mum knows I don't really pray but I can't just not fast during Ramadan. For some reason, almost everyone fasts -- even those who don't pray or wear hijab or give a shit about anything else Islamic -- and it's super taboo not to fast.

Yea, that's how I've viewed it too.  Not fasting is a huge no no, all the hypocrites become more religious during ramadan because to not do so is just too blatantly irreligious. 

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »