Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Morsi ousted by military in Egypt

(Read 22554 times)
  • 12 3 ... 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Morsi ousted by military in Egypt
     OP - July 03, 2013, 08:19 PM

Army ousts Egypt's President Morsi
    Last updated 3 minutes ago

The head of Egypt's army has given a TV address, announcing that President Mohammed Morsi is no longer in office.

Gen Abdul Fattah al-Sisi said the constitution had been suspended and the chief justice of the constitutional court would take on Mr Morsi's powers.

Flanked by religious and opposition leaders, Gen Sisi said Mr Morsi had "failed to meet the demands of the Egyptian people".

Anti-Morsi protesters in Cairo gave a huge cheer in response to the speech.

The army's move to depose the president follows four days of mass street demonstrations against Mr Morsi, and an ultimatum issued by the military which expired on Wednesday afternoon.

TV stations belonging to Mr Morsi's Muslim Brotherhood went off air at the end of the speech.

Minutes later, a notice went up on Mr Morsi's Facebook page denouncing the army move as a "military coup".

Mr Morsi's current whereabouts are unknown, but an unverified tweet purporting to be from him urges civilians and members of the military to uphold the law and the constitution.

After Gen Sisi's address, both Pope Tawadros II - the head of the Coptic Church - and leading opposition figure Mohammed ElBaradei made short statements.

Mr ElBaradei said the new roadmap aimed for national reconciliation and represented a fresh start to the January 2011 revolution.

Fireworks

The army is currently involved in a show of force, fanning out across Cairo and taking control of the capital, BBC correspondent Quentin Sommerville reports.

He described seeing eight armoured personnel carriers heading for Cairo University in Giza, where one of the main pro-Morsi demonstrations was being held.

The tens of thousands of anti-Morsi protesters on the streets of Cairo are now celebrating, with fireworks lighting up the night sky.

But Morsi supporters elsewhere in the city are reported to have shouted: "No to military rule.''

BBC © 2013

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #1 - July 03, 2013, 08:50 PM

The Muslim Brotherhood will be licking its wounds and its sense of grievance will only be increased.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #2 - July 03, 2013, 09:13 PM

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #3 - July 03, 2013, 09:27 PM

Yes. Or both.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #4 - July 03, 2013, 09:31 PM

The Military Leader speaks  in Egypt ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImJsnCCtAqw

transcript of that speech from  Aljazeera

....Since the past, the army has called for national dialogue, yet it was rejected by the presidency in the last moment. Many calls, initiatives followed until to date. The EAF similarly on more than one occasion presented a strategic assessment domestically and internationally, which contained the most eminent (this part unclear).

The EAF as a patriotic institution to contain division and confront challenges and perils to exit the current crisis. As we closely monitored the current crisis, the command of EAF met with the president on June 2nd where it presented the opinion of the AF on the state of (the country) and (relayed) the cause of masses and Egyptian people. Hopes were all pinned on national conciliation. Yet, the address of the president yesterday and before the expiry of the 48-hour ultimatum did not meet the demands of the people.

As a result, it was necessary for the EAF to act on its patriotic and historic responsibility without sidelining, marginalising any party, where during the meeting a road map was agreed upon which includes the following:

Suspending the constitution provisionally; The chief justice of the constitutional court will declare the early presidential elections; Interim period until president elected. Chief Justice will have presidential powers; A technocrat, capable national government will be formed; The committee will offer all its expertise to review the new constitution; The Supreme Constitutional Law will address the draft law and prepare for parliamentary elections;

Securing and guaranteeing freedom of expression, freedom of media. All necessary measures will be taken to empower youth so they can take part in decision making processes. The EAF appeal to the Egyptian people with all its spectrum to steer away from violence and remain peaceful. The Armed Forced warn it will stand up firmly and strictly to any act deviating from peacefulness based on its patriotic and historic responsibility.

May God save Egypt and the honorable, defiant people of Egypt.....

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #5 - July 03, 2013, 09:32 PM

Are they going to depose a government each time they aren't satisfied?

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #6 - July 03, 2013, 09:36 PM

Well TBH, that's the only experience the Egyptians have of changing governments. They haven't quite got the hang of this democracy thing yet. That, and Morsi really was behaving more or less like the previous despots who were also deposed.

I don't think the military intervention is necessarily a good thing. I think it's too early to tell. It's going to depend on what the results are over the next few years.

Reply #7 - July 03, 2013, 10:44 PM

Morsi really was behaving more or less like the previous despots who were also deposed.

Muppet.

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #8 - July 03, 2013, 10:53 PM

Surely the ousting of Mo Mursi and his Muslim Brotherhood can only be a good thing unless they're replaced by something similar like the "The Egyptian people's Brotherhood of Muslims" or another Army man dictator.
     Reply #9 - July 04, 2013, 03:24 AM

What is the general feeling among Muslims in the UK to all of this? Are they largely pro-Morsi or pro the secularists?

Are the secularists in the Arab world generally more liberal and progressive than the Muslim community in the UK?

Granted one can only answer that question by making huge generalizations, so with that caveat what do people think?

I had a quick look on MuslimVillage.com, and they are very pro the Brotherhood, but that might be a very conservative website, not sure really.
     Reply #10 - July 04, 2013, 05:12 AM

Surely the ousting of Mo Mursi and his Muslim Brotherhood can only be a good thing unless they're replaced by something similar like the "The Egyptian people's Brotherhood of Muslims" or another Army man dictator.

It sets a dangerous precedent regarding the sanctity of democracy to remove a government after only one year of them winning legitimate elections. Plus this will further polarise the country, and unfortunately I can only see things getting even uglier than they already are, regardless of whether the secularists get their act together and put forward a winning candidate this time.

Hi
     Reply #11 - July 04, 2013, 05:19 AM

What is the general feeling among Muslims in the UK to all of this? Are they largely pro-Morsi or pro the secularists?

Are the secularists in the Arab world generally more liberal and progressive than the Muslim community in the UK?

From the ones I know, definitely pro-Morsi. They see this as an evil ploy to further subjugate Islam.

Yes, Arab secularists are generally more liberal and progressive, and there are many more of them, relative to the total population. We are very backward, and proud of being so  Smiley

Hi
     Reply #12 - July 04, 2013, 06:04 AM

Guys didn't Minimow say he was going to Egypt?

Quote from: ZooBear 

• Surah Al-Fil: In an epic game of Angry Birds, Allah uses birds (that drop pebbles) to destroy an army riding elephants whose intentions were to destroy the Kaaba. No one has beaten the high score.

Reply #13 - July 04, 2013, 06:08 AM

My religious (sunni) friends are VERY pro brotherhood, so much so that when the news came about him changing the constitution they were saying it's what he needs to do to make progress (is that true? No idea how that shit works, but there was a big enough opposition to make it seem wrong)

Quote from: ZooBear 

• Surah Al-Fil: In an epic game of Angry Birds, Allah uses birds (that drop pebbles) to destroy an army riding elephants whose intentions were to destroy the Kaaba. No one has beaten the high score.

Reply #14 - July 05, 2013, 04:31 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFX1heljE9k

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #15 - July 05, 2013, 05:20 AM

Typical beardo fuckwit. "I'm going kill lotsa people, but I wont be responsible for my actions. It's all your fault."

This is called "Saving Egypt, beardo fuckwit style". Afro

Reply #16 - July 05, 2013, 05:29 AM

Ha. Now I have gangnam style going through my head. If I wasn't so lazy I'd make a vid for it.

"We'rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreee savng Egypt! Doof doof-doof doof-doof, beardo fuckwit style!" with a crowd of fuckwits beardos bouncing up and down.  bunny

Reply #17 - July 05, 2013, 08:42 AM

Baboons are out in to the street., wait until Friday Prayers are over.  The unfortunate thing in this Egypt soft coup is this guy .. The Sisi general.. He has plenty of friends and family members from brotherhood..
    CAIRO: When President Mohamed Morsi swept aside the ageing commanders of Egypt's military a year ago and named a soft-spoken, deeply religious younger general to head the armed forces, it was a demonstration that the military was now subordinate to Egypt’s first freely elected leader. Fast forward one year, and now it is the general,  Abdel Fattah al-Sisi , who appears poised to sweep aside the president.

At the time of his appointment last August, the choice of Sisi, 58, seemed to suit both Morsi and the younger generation of army commanders seeking promotion after years under older generals, like 78-year-old Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi, Mubarak's defence minister for two decades...............

A career military man, Sisi was groomed for a leadership role after serving in top roles in the command, intelligence and diplomatic branches of the armed forces.   Among his previous postings were a stint as defence attaché in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia,[/color] and command positions in the Sinai Peninsula which borders Israel and in the Northern Military Region which includes the second city of Alexandria.  ........... n a military known for its secularism, Sisi is a devout Muslim, whose wife is said to wear the niqab full-body covering  .............

“Islamic ideology penetrates Sisi's thinking about political and security matters,” he said, citing material Sisi produced while at the course. Steve Gerras, a retired Army colonel who was Sisi's faculty adviser at the college, described him to Reuters as a serious student and pious Muslim, open to the United States and passionate about Egypt's future.............“He was a serious guy. He is not a guy who would go to a standup comedy show. But at the same time he would stop by – I mean every week ... His eyes were always very warm. His tone was very warm.”

“It means he looks at the world from an Islamist framework so he would not want the whole project of Islamism to be destroyed and that's what is now in the offing because the Brotherhood has so mishandled things - Sisi probably feels to some extent betrayed by Morsi and the Brothers who have mishandled things so badly.”

Well General Sisi  may feel  to some extent betrayed by Morsi and  his Brothers  but Sisis must realize they have support of mobs from Mosques..  Sisi has plenty of friends from brothelhppd And we know what happened to Anwar Sadat .. Anyways read it all here

If it is not handled properly, things could go bad to worst..

Reply #18 - July 05, 2013, 09:39 AM

Ha. Now I have gangnam style going through my head. If I wasn't so lazy I'd make a vid for it.

"We'rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreee savng Egypt! Doof doof-doof doof-doof, beardo fuckwit style!" with a crowd of fuckwits beardos bouncing up and down.  bunny
    [/quote]

Lol  Cheesy
    Or how about the "Salafist Shake"?
     Reply #19 - July 05, 2013, 10:24 AM

Paul Berman in Terror and Liberalism and Flight of the Intellectuals condemns the Muslim Brotherhood as a fascist organisation. 

Fascists have been democratically elected before.

I see this as a legitimate impeachment of a President.  Morsi and the other leaders deservedly should be tried for various criminal activities.  The Muslim Brotherhood are going to show their true colours via terror.  There is a legitimate reason why they were a banned organisation for decades.

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #20 - July 05, 2013, 10:27 AM

According to the MB...

Ahmed Mansour reveals: A Jew in Egypt’s seat of power

4/7/2013

Abdallah Metawaa

Well known broadcaster Ahmed Mansour has said that Adly Mansour, head of the Supreme Constitutional Court and who has been appointed President of Egypt by the army, is considered to be a Seventh Day Adventist, which is a Jewish sect.

Ahmed Mansour revealed in a post on his Facebook page that Adly tried to approach Christianity but the Coptic pope refused to baptise him.

Ahmed Mansour mentioned ElBaradei’s position when he said that he would not take part in a Shura Council that denies the holocaust!!! This is a token gesture offered to the Jews by ElBaradei so that he can become President of the Republic in the fake elections that the military will guard and whose results they will falsify in their interests…All with the approval of America, Israel and the Arabs, of course.

Ahmed Mansour said in his post, “this is the glorious scene of the future of Egypt and the Arabs, who competed to recognise the coup, the coup whose drum the secularists are dancing to…even to the extent that one of them, who hates religion, Islam and the nation announced that he has been reborn…and that his date of birth is 30/6, that is, the day the army of defeats staged a coup against ballot box legitimacy.

Counsellor Adly Mansour – head of the Supreme Constitutional Court and who will temporarily hold the post of President of Egypt after being appointed by the Armed Forces after the removal of President Mohamed Morsy – will begin his duties today after swearing an oath before the General Assembly of the Constitutional Court.

This was originally published in Arabic on Ikhwanonline.com

Reply #21 - July 05, 2013, 01:08 PM

I had a quick look on MuslimVillage.com, and they are very pro the Brotherhood, but that might be a very conservative website, not sure really.

My parents are very pro-Brotherhood but that's only because they've got 'Muslim' in their title, don't appear to be too hardcore (no stonings or hand-choppings) and were elected and thus shouldn't be ousted by the military. Believe it or not, my mum actually considers the MB 'moderates'.

Most Muslim websites/forums are very conservative; I'd argue they tend to be more conservative than your average Mo in the West IME, which makes sense b/c people who aren't too enthusiastic about religion to begin with wouldn't be hanging out on religious forums so it's usually Salafis/neo-Salafis who start the forums and then police them vigorously preventing milder opinions from being expressed.
     Reply #22 - July 05, 2013, 01:12 PM

Well TBH, that's the only experience the Egyptians have of changing governments. They haven't quite got the hang of this democracy thing yet. That, and Morsi really was behaving more or less like the previous despots who were also deposed.

I don't think the military intervention is necessarily a good thing. I think it's too early to tell. It's going to depend on what the results are over the next few years.

I haven't really been paying attention to Egypt lately so what has Morsi been doing that has pissed them off?
     Reply #23 - July 05, 2013, 01:20 PM

I haven't really been paying attention to Egypt lately so what has Morsi been doing that has pissed them off?

A grate guy from  pure land partially answers that question

What ails the lands of Islam?... Ayaz Amir Friday, July 05, 2013

...............There are some things we just can’t seem to get right. Almost as if to show that we are not really at home with the spirit of democracy, Egypt’s experiment with democracy has just ended in disaster. Mohamed Morsi was the first democratically elected president of Egypt in history, from the Pharaohs to the present. But he lasted barely a year in office. He just couldn’t control his Islamist impulses, more interested in strengthening the Muslim Brotherhood than in courting wider support. The secular classes could not cultivate patience and the army just couldn’t resist the temptation of intervening when the raucous cries from Tahrir Square once again called.

What more did the Muslim Brotherhood want? Their man was the president. Wasn’t that enough? Shouldn’t they have moved more cautiously? But no, they had to rush their horses. And the army, what a comeback it has staged, sounding ever so reasonable and democratic but we in Pakistan know from our experience that coming in is the easier part, getting out is an altogether different proposition. And what if the democratic timetable lengthens, as it always seems to do in these circumstances? What will the secularists do then? Egypt’s first democratic revolution just two years old and already gone up in flames, and many in the Brotherhood who will be thinking dark thoughts of taking up arms and going the way of Al Qaeda, etc.

And Morsi when in office, what business of his was it to call upon Bashar Al-Assad to resign? Unable to manage things at home but already posing as the regional statesman abroad, and the Syrians, for good measure, just when the army was about to strike getting their own back by calling upon Morsi to step down. The Qataris involved first in Libya and now in Syria, and thanks to Qaddafi’s ouster Islamic hardliners now a force to reckon with in Libya, the Saudis concerned about nothing so much as Hezbollah and Iran, Iraq thanks to American benevolence a continuing shambles. And the Turkish prime minister, the Muslim world’s new poster boy, must also make it his business to interfere in Syria and adopt a high-handed style of governance which provokes a secular backlash......

well there is lot mare in that today's article so read it all at the link  Al-Alethia ..

Reply #24 - July 05, 2013, 09:31 PM

AFAICT it's been a combination of things. Probably the one that stood out most, at least initially, was when he re-defined the president's role and powers, and rewrote the constitution. This was all pretty much unilateral, and didn't go down well at all. It made him seem like a despot, since his changes weren't in line with most people's ideas of "democratic". It came across as "OK, Now I've got power, I can do what I (and the MB) like".

Reply #25 - July 05, 2013, 10:05 PM

^

I stopped keeping up with egypt news a short while after morsi was elected.

What parts of the constitution did he try to re write? 

Hopefully the removal of the muslim brotherhood has reduced the credibility of islamist parties in the view of the Egyptian people.

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #26 - July 05, 2013, 10:35 PM

Can't remember exactly which bits, but I do remember he added stuff that basically made it illegal for anyone to contradict him. Or, at least, could be used in that way. I think that was in the presidential role/powers rather than the actual constitution though. Would have to dig back through old news articles to find it all.

Reply #27 - July 06, 2013, 07:58 AM

I knew the democracy wouldn't last after MB won the elections. So obvious you don't have to follow the news because you know the military gon kick MB's ass out of power soon.

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #28 - July 06, 2013, 08:36 AM

What parts of the constitution did he try to re write? 

In addition to what Ossie said, he added a couple of clauses that were seen by the secularists as being unnecessarily Islamic. Plus he recently passed a couple of laws, including one that prohibits alcohol sale more. Basically the anger against him derives from the fact that the split between secularists and conservatives never went away after the elections. Morsi behaving dictatorially, and the Egyptian people's impatience for change didn't help either.

Hopefully the removal of the muslim brotherhood has reduced the credibility of islamist parties in the view of the Egyptian people.

I think his removal happened way too quickly. Islamists now have a genuine grievance at their treatment. It would have been better to have given the brotherhood longer, and to even have let them see out their full term. That way, the message would have been clearer that Morsi and his Islamic experiment had failed. Instead, now there will always be doubt. Plus, unless your leader is Hitler, coups are never a good thing. And this particular coup has led to a dangerous polarisation from which it is now difficult to see a way out. Things are already really ugly now; the army has fucked up big-time IMO.

Hi
     Reply #29 - July 06, 2013, 11:39 AM

Some political analysis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeDm2PrNV1I
  • 12 3 ... 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »