Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Six women detained in Riyadh for driving

(Read 7507 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Six women detained in Riyadh for driving
     Reply #30 - September 27, 2011, 10:34 PM

Oh for you Poms who have never seen anything bigger than a Mini, road trains are like this:

That your sister?
     Reply #31 - September 27, 2011, 10:34 PM

They'd have to learn to drink beer and cook damper.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #32 - September 27, 2011, 10:35 PM

It could take pilgrims to Mecca by road, not from Australia obviously but from say like Nigeria or Pakistan  Cheesy

Some piece of shit on my street has a holden one,  it has a massive V8 that wakes me up at 6 am  finmad

Jam a potato up the exhaust one night.  Wink

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • Saudi Woman Sentenced with 10 Lashes for Driving
     Reply #33 - September 28, 2011, 12:54 AM

http://news.yahoo.com/saudi-woman-sentenced-10-lashes-driving-173100577.html

They may have gained the right to vote but Saudi Arabia is still no friend to women. On Tuesday, a court sentenced Shaima Ghassaniya with 10 lashes for defying the country's ban on women driving, according to Saudi activists. There aren't any specific laws prohibiting women from taking to the road but religious leaders have banned its practice. There is some novelty to the punishment in this particular case, the Associated Press reports:

Najalaa Harriri, who is also facing court for driving, told The Associated Press she needed to drive to take better care of her children. Tuesday’s verdict is the first of its kind in Saudi Arabia. Other women were detained for several days, but had not been sentenced by a court.

According to the BBC, the woman has already filed an appeal to the ruling. The disappointing news comes just days after Saudi King Abdullah announced that Saudi women will get the right to vote and can run for office in local elections in 2015.

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #34 - September 28, 2011, 01:09 AM

merged duplicates.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #35 - September 28, 2011, 11:56 AM

How many of you can take her 10 lashes??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8MROOGba94

Najalaa Harrir, drives a car as part of a campaign to defy Saudi Arabia's ban on women driving, in Riyadh.

A Saudi woman has been sentenced to be lashed 10 times with a whip for defying the kingdom's prohibition on female drivers,
     the first time a legal punishment has been handed down for a violation of the longtime ban in the ultraconservative Muslim nation.

Normally, police just stop female drivers, question them and let them go after they sign a pledge not to drive again. But dozens of women have continued to take to the roads since June in a campaign to break the taboo..............

Our king doesn't deserve that," said Sohila Zein el-Abydeen, a prominent female member of the governmental National Society for Human Rights. She burst into tears in a phone interview and said, "The verdict is shocking to me, but we were expecting this kind of reaction." The driver, Shaima Jastaina, in her 30s, was found guilty of driving without permission, activist Samar Badawi said. The punishment is usually carried out within a month. It was not possible to reach Jastaina, but Badawi, in touch with Jastaina's family, said she appealed the verdict.

Activists say the religious justification is irrelevant.

"How come women get flogged for driving while the maximum penalty for a traffic violation is a fine, not lashes?" Zein el-Abydeen said. "Even the Prophet (Muhammad's) wives were riding camels and horses because these were the only means of transportation." Since June, dozens of women have led a campaign to try to break the taboo and impose a new status quo. The campaign's founder, Manal al-Sherif, who posted a video of herself driving on Facebook, was detained for more than 10 days. She was released after signing a pledge not to drive or speak to media.

Until Tuesday, none had been sentenced by the courts. But recently, several women have been summoned for questioning by the prosecutor general and referred to trial.

One of them, housewife Najalaa al-Harriri, drove only two times, not out of defiance, but out of need, she says.

"I don't have a driver. I needed to drop my son off at school and pick up my daughter from work," she said over the phone from the western port city of Jiddah.

"The day the king gave his speech, I was sitting at the prosecutor's office and was asked why I needed to drive, how many times I drove and where," she said. She is to stand trial in a month.

After the king's announcement about voting rights for women, Saudi Arabia's Grand Mufti Abdel Aziz Al Sheik blessed the move and said, "It's for women's good."

Al-Harriri, who is one of the founders of a women's rights campaign called "My Right My Dignity," said, "It is strange that I was questioned at a time the mufti himself blessed the king's move." Asked if the sentencing will stop women from driving, Maha al-Qahtani, another female activist, said, "This is our right, whether they like it or not."

I will Gladly take her 10 lashes and I want to Bless that Saudi Arabia's Gandu Mufti Abdel Aziz Al Sheik 100 lashes on his ass + A Clean shave for life ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7gt7H-E4Fw

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa  you go girl...

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #36 - September 28, 2011, 12:11 PM

Taxi driver Vildan Istanbul, 37 says her customers are pleased by the idea of getting into a cab that smells like perfume rather than cigarette smoke. DAILY NEWS photo, Emrah GÜREL
    Driving a taxi need no longer be seen as just a “man’s job” thanks to a project that aims to provide job opportunities for unemployed women in non-traditional sectors across Turkey.

“We are trying to kill the prejudice that says ‘women are bad drivers,’” Yahya Çark, an official at ACTUS, a private consultancy that began the project to provide employment for jobless women in fields such as driving taxis, told the Hürriyet Daily News on Monday.

That is the way to break the shit created by the rules that are/were made by baboons

Reply #37 - September 28, 2011, 01:10 PM

Jam a potato up the exhaust one night.  Wink

Cheesy

I think I've caused his family enough problems recently so I'll pass  Tongue
     Reply #38 - September 29, 2011, 12:12 PM

Saudi woman driver's lashing 'overturned by king'   says news

Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah has overturned a court ruling sentencing a woman to 10 lashes for breaking a ban on female drivers, reports say.  The ruling, although not officially confirmed, was tweeted by a Saudi princess and reported by AP news agency citing an unnamed official.

The woman, named as Shema, was found guilty of driving in Jeddah in July.  The sentence came two days after the king announced women would be allowed to vote for the first time in 2015.

"Thank God, the lashing of Shema is cancelled. Thanks to our beloved king," tweeted Princess Amira al-Taweel, wife of Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal.
     "I am sure all Saudi women will be so happy."

Two other women are due to appear in court later this year on similar charges, reports say....[/quote] Good news good news .." King is a fast learner...
    Cheesy

I think I've caused his family enough problems recently so I'll pass  Tongue

Jam a potato up the exhaust one night.  Wink

It could take pilgrims to Mecca by road, not from Australia obviously but from say like Nigeria or Pakistan  Cheesy

Some piece of shit on my street has a holden one,  it has a massive V8 that wakes me up at 6 am  finmad

lol..   May be he is making that sound to wake you up with the hope that  you will greet him some day  for that sound.,  So Aphrodite .. do you drive?  did you had a chance of driving V-8 Vehicle ?

I like everything except when you fill it up.. that drains your  pocket..  

• Six women detained in Riyadh for driving
     Reply #39 - June 14, 2013, 05:56 PM

A great TEDtalk by Manal al-Sharif on the topic:

http://www.ted.com/talks/manal_al_sharif_a_saudi_woman_who_dared_to_drive.html

Started from the bottom, now I'm here
    Started from the bottom, now my whole extended family's here

JOIN THE CHAT
     Reply #40 - June 16, 2013, 12:04 AM

All they have to do is say "Hey the Ka'aba is a big rock in the middle of a really boring desert, but the bloody Australians have a bigger rock in the middle of a bigger desert. We should buy the bugger off them and paint it black. For this we need a negotiating team, and Australian blokes are total suckers for a sexy pair of eyes."

Biggest rock is best rock !
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO0TUI9r-So
     Reply #41 - June 16, 2013, 03:12 AM

Northern Nigeria got rocks too. Perhaps Boko Haram got a plan after all.

This was more or less the view from my bedroom window.

Reply #42 - June 16, 2013, 03:30 AM

^^ nice shot!   Afro

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #43 - June 16, 2013, 08:42 PM

Can't see the picture here :(
     Reply #44 - June 16, 2013, 11:33 PM

^^ nice shot!   Afro

It's not my picture, I'm afraid.

Our view of the inselberg (Kufena) was from a slightly different angle. There's a smaller rock next to it called Maderakachi (spelling?), and some local legend about one offering food to the other. Anthropomorphic sacred mountains. Possibly not halal.
     Reply #45 - June 16, 2013, 11:37 PM

There's a smaller rock next to it called Maderakachi (spelling?), and some local legend about one offering food to the other. Anthropomorphic sacred mountains. Possibly not halal.

Totally not halal. Allah does not approve of altruistic mountains. He only likes to destroy mountains when he gets angry.
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »