Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Citalopram/Celexa and other things

(Read 10810 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Citalopram/Celexa and other things
     OP - June 11, 2013, 11:46 PM

Any of you guys use this SSRI? I've been on it for the past two months and all I seem to experience is bruxism, heart palpitations and waves of anxiety. I guess it's marginally better than depression but damned if I want to live my life in a haze of panic.

Admittedly my depression is circumstantial and, yes, lack of belief is a conducive factor, though not the only one (although substantial no doubt). Inability to get a job, astronomical rent prices, familial/state dependency, lack of a social life outside of drinking establishments, past regrets, religious quarrels etc. Many irresolvable in the foreseeable future hence I'm on these meds.
     Reply #1 - June 12, 2013, 01:11 AM

I was on it before and IIRC all I got from it was being much less horny and taking longer to fap (like 3 seconds instead of 2 lol). It didn't work for me.

Remember that there's like 29785239745 different kinds of antidepressants so if this one is giving you some nasty side effects you can always opt for another one.

Personally I've been on 5. First 4 didn't work and the 5th one makes me feel too pukey to take it long enough to tell (although I may try again since it could have been a couple other factors). This supposedly isn't normal though and it usually doesn't take more than a couple to find one.

The ones I've been on (in this order I think) are Cymbalta, Celexa, Cipralex, Pristiq, and Welbutrin. This info probably isn't too useful for you though, since like I said each med is different for each person.
     Reply #2 - June 12, 2013, 01:42 AM

It's difficult. In hindsight I probably shouldn't be on these meds and should use a technique like CBT... but... Damned if I'm willing to divulge shit that a doctor probably cannot empathise with.

Intellectually I should have remained a hermit, entrenched in my own world and thoughts. But fuck it, I can't override that urge for expression.

Doesn't help that my family, despite being somewhat liberal can talk about nothing apart from islam. islam this, islam that, islam during sex, islam whilst defecating. OK, I'm hyperbolising, but you get my drift.
     Reply #3 - June 12, 2013, 05:53 AM

Like Barioth said, talk to your doctor about trying another SSRI or antidepressant.  I've had some give me bad side effects but with a bit of fiddling my dr and I finally found the right combo that works for me and keeps the panic at bay.

Good luck!   far away hug

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #4 - June 12, 2013, 06:24 AM

Would you say that antidepressants are conducive towards minimising circumstantial depression?

I'm basically returning home in the next few days from university and I'm going to be stuck on the computer with my head buried in a book/trolling the internet for a month without really being able to go out and partake in constructive activities (you know how it goes). Then we'll be headed back to the homelands for six weeks (what with it being ramadan and all) and I'll be trapped inside due to the fact that I have a physical impairment and we live in a village with no provisions for mobility and the like.

To be honest with you, debating islam has become my sole social interaction but that's leading me to nihilistic despair; I'm just not interested anymore. Islam will be dead in 300 years anyway, I see no point of flogging a soon-to-be-dead horse if said horse gives those around me comfort, y'know?
     Reply #5 - June 12, 2013, 06:38 AM

I've taken citalopram before, and the gain of feeling hyper was nothing compared to the palpitations and increased rage episodes I experienced.  Withdrawal was also a mighty bitch because of those physical side effects.

I've given up on anti-depressants, I believe my depression was circumstantial and felt long term because the circumstances themselves were long..ie..single mum with 3 children, one who has a severe behavioural disorder and the belief that things could never get better.

My circumstances have changed for the better and I am not bound to the house as much as I once was, and I am also older and so the things I yearned for and felt empty without have also changed, so I am not experiencing depression for them.

Perhaps for as long as your circumstances are going to be difficult you should try some different anti-d's, as it can slowly crush you and make your circumstances last longer than they would if you had the right mood frame to alleviate them.  Also, being stuck at home for as long as you will be doesn't sound like it can just be 'handled' without some sort of support.  So perhaps it is worth reporting back to your doctor on how these meds are making you feel.

Also, I feel ya on the can't be bothered to debate Islam front, I honestly have nothing left to give to that area, if anything focusing into it can retrigger the depression, as can spending too much time on this forum, since they are no longer the drug to get me through. 

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #6 - June 12, 2013, 07:19 AM

Actually, I'm not all that bothered when it comes to debating/conversing about islam with ex-muslims. I just find the islamic discourse to be incredibly shallow and schematic. My family have been fairly liberal (as liberal as a muslim family can be) for quite some time although ever since I've left home for uni they've been shifting the other way (think they want to go to hajj next year — and I flat out refuse to support such cultural desecration and capitalist onanism).
     Reply #7 - June 13, 2013, 08:46 AM

Think I've been on about 15 different medications over the years. None of the SSRIs really worked for me. Nardil, which is an MAOI, worked wonders for me. It's a risky drug, which is why doctors only prescribe it for treatment-resistent cases, but it's far more effective than any SSRI.
     Reply #8 - June 15, 2013, 12:38 AM

I took Citalopram for one day, that day I felt completly out of body it was bad. Walked around work like a Zombie. I threw them all out of my car on the motorway.

I would have been completely hooked. But I wish i had carried on because without medication I was constantly in Rage and the people I loved the most suffered the worst :-(

Late Eid Mubarak, Where's my eidee present ?
     Reply #9 - June 15, 2013, 10:53 AM

I went through 13 years of hell (including my parents getting sick, suffering and die in front of me - but it started before that. Didn't help, though) without any medication. Finally someone thought "you might be depressed" (before that I saw 2 different doctors - one said: "You are depressed. Don't you want some pills?" and the other said "You are not depressed. Don't you want some pills?") and a couple of years later I finally got in contact with a proper psychiatrist after my shrink said he had never seen people so in distress as me after his treatments. I believe him. He is a really nice and competent guy. But he said I was one of the few he had to ask to go to a psychiatrist to look into medication, because else the psychological treatment wouldn't be able to move on.

First my psychiatrist wasn't able to feel how I felt (It took 6 years - now it is great!) but he had a lot of knowledge of medications, so I shut up and I had my shrink as a backup. I got Citalopram in a period and it helped me a bit as I felt less suicidal - but not more that that. Before that I got Seroxat (Paroxetine) and it totally knocked me out so I gave up after 5 days.
    The Citalopram was joined by Remeron, and this cocktail actually helped quite a bit! I finally got an education (certified IT-supporter - ljke a certified electrician in the UK, I reckon) and later a job at the Royal Danish Theatre (Det kongelige teater). Which eventually led me to be the CIO of Microsoft Denmark and Microsoft Development Center Copenhagen while the "proper" CIO was on paternal leave. So I must have SOME skills (using my intellect) while I still loathe myself (the depression).

Now I am on something called Cymbalta (Mirtazapine) - maximum dose, 120mg - and it leveled the playing field. I feel somewhat "normal" from this and was able to improve my life and get involved in things I find interesting and want to explore (thus I'm here). It also has the benefit of only limiting your libido, not outright killing it (albeit I have no-one to share this libido with :( Involuntarily celibacy sucks - and not the way I would like it!)

Don't rule out medication. It is not for everyone. But if it works, it works. If not, try something different. Live is too short to miss out.

And before you diagnose yourself with (clinical, medication-improving) depression, be sure to rule out that the people you are with aren't genuine asshats, nor that you are lonely. Both those things should be treated by cognitive therapy (shrinks) so you get empowered to change your own ways.

HOWEVER!!! That you are surrounded by asshats and other than that lonely in your existence here on this tiny, lonely planet might be a symptom of the DEPRESSION!!! You will have a hard time to find people to create mutual beneficial relations with! In that case, the depression is real and should be treated!

To the OP:
    Schizo, say to your doctor this medication isn't working for you. SSRI's are not alike. Be brave and fight for your life and sanity! And don't take the shit some people say like "OMG THEY ARE MELTING YOUR BRAIN YOU SHOULD JUST EAT MORE ASPARAGUS*!!!" If you feel like the medication is melting your brain, stop taking it and look into other (including medical) options.

Love Smiley
    Nikolaj

* Note: I actually like asparagus. This was not meant to be mean to asparaguses.

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #10 - October 19, 2013, 11:14 AM

It's difficult. In hindsight I probably shouldn't be on these meds and should use a technique like CBT... but... Damned if I'm willing to divulge shit that a doctor probably cannot empathise with.

I can get what you're saying. I'm using CBT and I'm being forced to talk about all the shit that's in my mind. And as you said, my doctor absolutely does not empathize with me. All our conversations end with, "Ok, you're thinking obsessively about utter BS (said in less hurtful terms), we should push the Prozac to so-and-so and I think you should start acting more like a 16-year-old and less like an inane old philosopher." Thanks doctor, refusing to acknowledge the thoughts that paralyze me is the absolute best way to go. Sorry, I digress. I wish you well  far away hug

'My principal sin is doubt. I doubt everything, and am in doubt most of the time,' Levin said.
    ― Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina
     Reply #11 - October 19, 2013, 12:08 PM

Your doctor sounds like an inefficient twat. If there's no empathy, there's no way to really understand you and drugs will simply mask the problem.

We seem to be living in an age where more and ore drugs are looked at as the solution to things, almost like it's simply replaced the old age way of drinking enough to be slightly buzzed to get through the day. If the problems aren't dealt with in the way they should be, you're completely dependant on drugs (if you find the combo that works) to give you a functioning life rather than a helping hand while you deal with the shit that needs dealt with.

Prozac can be a wonderful short term help, but it should only be short term. My advice? Find a different doctor.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #12 - October 19, 2013, 01:57 PM

I can get what you're saying. I'm using CBT and I'm being forced to talk about all the shit that's in my mind. And as you said, my doctor absolutely does not empathize with me. All our conversations end with, "Ok, you're thinking obsessively about utter BS (said in less hurtful terms), we should push the Prozac to so-and-so and I think you should start acting more like a 16-year-old and less like an inane old philosopher." Thanks doctor, refusing to acknowledge the thoughts that paralyze me is the absolute best way to go. Sorry, I digress. I wish you well  far away hug

I heard the same things at the same age. It's not helpful in any way. You have my sympathy. CBT can be helpful, especially if you do it your own way. I think I might be doing CBT right  now.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #13 - November 17, 2013, 11:46 AM

We seem to be living in an age where more and ore drugs are looked at as the solution to things, almost like it's simply replaced the old age way of drinking enough to be slightly buzzed to get through the day. If the problems aren't dealt with in the way they should be, you're completely dependent on drugs (if you find the combo that works) to give you a functioning life rather than a helping hand while you deal with the shit that needs dealt with.

Bingo.  I want to frame that quote somewhere.

"Work without hope draws nectar in a sieve, and hope without an object cannot live." -Coleridge

http://sinofgreed.wordpress.com/
     Reply #14 - November 17, 2013, 11:48 AM

Aww 001_wub

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #15 - November 17, 2013, 12:06 PM

far away hug

But yeah.  My two cents on the matter resonates with what Quod completely.  When I was living in another state a little more than six months ago, I had gone to the local clinic to see about seeing a shrink due to a traumatic experience that lasted about 4 months in 2012.  It was a man and clearly not trained for the topic that I was seeking help about so the first thing he did was interrogate me about why I did not retain evidence for prosecution or do things a certain way and then prescribed a low dosage of the drug that this thread is about.  This was my first time taking ANY head meds.  It messed me up bad and did not help me at all.  If anything, it amplified the mood that I was already in before taking the medication.  Like alcohol. 

The point of the matter is, I may fall now and then for periods of time (even years), but I always get back up and I don't need medication for that.  I need people that believe in me and won't give up on me.  In the end, I think that's truly the one thing that can effectively ease depression for most people.  Not some damned drug.

"Work without hope draws nectar in a sieve, and hope without an object cannot live." -Coleridge

Reply #16 - November 17, 2013, 12:10 PM

Your doctor sounds like an inefficient twat. If there's no empathy, there's no way to really understand you and drugs will simply mask the problem.

The above quote is something that really cannot be understated. Shrinks are, what's the American term, a dime a dozen? Simple truth is that some are better than others. Some just naturally are a better fit for the role than others. If you have any kind of doctor and you aren't happy with them, you are allowed to find another one and indeed you should.

Reply #17 - November 17, 2013, 12:19 PM

"A dime a dozen" it is.  There are also support groups out there which can be a more healthy and cheaper alternative to doctors. Been looking for one myself because I am poor.

Reply #18 - November 17, 2013, 12:27 PM

Go to Canada and be a hooker. Seems to have well paying clients. Cheesy

Reply #19 - November 17, 2013, 12:37 PM

Sure.  I'll walk to Canada.  In hooker boots. Might take me a few months, but I am closer to it now.

Reply #20 - November 17, 2013, 12:42 PM

Every journey begins with a first step. Smiley

Reply #21 - November 17, 2013, 12:53 PM

Reply #22 - November 17, 2013, 02:52 PM

Stop by here on your way. I will make you lunch.

Reply #23 - November 17, 2013, 04:17 PM

okay i never hard about these  drugs o.o
    and the funny things is, i'm depressed 4 days a week
    wooow

Reply #24 - November 17, 2013, 06:57 PM

Stop by here on your way. I will make you lunch.

Thanks! I'm sure to be needing it.

Reply #25 - November 17, 2013, 07:45 PM

I am thinking a lentil soup, flat bread, vegetables, fruit, cake, and a bucket of hot tea. Do you want me to leave the icing off? Some of us don't like it, though I do know children who eat only that.
    Let me know your preference. It's the least I can do, if you are going all that way in bad shoes.
    I will also outfit you with rope so you can string your supplies from a tree and keep the bears out of it. Canadian bears have more manners than American bears, though, so you could probably ditch the rope at the border.
    I should give you a whistle, too, to scare off those bears. The wolves won't bother you, but the coyotes can be pests.
    Anyway, I am waiting. I will be very happy to see you.

Reply #26 - November 17, 2013, 07:46 PM

okay i never hard about these  drugs o.o
    and the funny things is, i'm depressed 4 days a week
    wooow

Maybe the other three days, upon reflection, could provide the clues required to improve those four days.

Reply #27 - November 17, 2013, 10:20 PM

Three is a magic number
    XD
     Reply #28 - November 18, 2013, 12:06 AM

It's good you haven't used or heard of this medication.  Also good that your depression isn't a constant thing all the time in your life.

Reply #29 - November 18, 2013, 12:18 AM

The abuse of these medications it's just a way to run away from ourselves.
    Everyone is different.
     Some need them and others dont.
    Im not here to say that they shouldnt use them, but it's just not the best way to deal with it.
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »