Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: new here - my story :)

(Read 4604 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • new here - my story :)
     OP - May 29, 2013, 06:47 PM

Hello everyone! Smiley

I've known about this forum for a while now but was always too shy to write anything.  lipsrsealed

If you do manage to read through it all, I just want to say thank you and I like you, already!  Wink

So, here's a little about me:

I am 19 years old and living in London. Whether or not I am truly an ex-Muslim now is still a little blurry for me.

I was brought up in the West but my mother (my dad left when I was only little, oh well) was determined to make all her children believe and practise Islam as she does. I am of Somali decent, so you can understand the importance Islam had on my mother.

Being Somali is not easy.... Every other Somalis expect you to be a good Muslim girl, but things for me were different, luckily. This was only because I don't look Somali (I'm too "light" or too "chinky"), so I'm often mistaken for either being mixed race or South American, which meant other Somalis never spoke to me in anything but English when they first meet me.

I grew up in France, and didn't dully practise Islam until moving up to England at 13. At the age of 14, being sure of my religion, or maybe simply wanting to copy my older sister, I started wearing 'hijab', which was made easy by all the constant praises and being told I was doing very well. What other people didn't know was that I started questioning the existence of God since I was ten. "What if God is Christian, or Jewish, or something nobody knew of. What if God didn't exist?!" I would ask myself. Of course, I never brought this up to anyone else's attention because of their expectations of me. But when I was 15, I asked my mother about women in Islam, and although I don't quite remember what I asked (it had to do about women having power) I remember her telling me that I shouldn't ask questions. I found that quite confusing, especially in Islamic school, I was repeatedly told to ask questions. (Of course, I always shied away)

A few years ago, other questions began to surface, not only concerning God's existence but also, even if he did exist, why create other planets, solar systems, and even universes? Seemed like a whole waste of God's time, if you ask me. As I began to gain a stronger interest in astronomy, I found myself drifting further and further away from religion.

That's when I discovered this website. I read loads of stories of people that successfully came out in the open and admitted their beliefs. But for me, well I still felt alone. I slowly began hating wearing my hijab and even tried to go to college without it once... But just before leaving I quickly put it back on, afraid of what people would say.

Last September, as I began university, I finally decided that it was time to remove the hijab, since there would be no one at university to know me and therefore judge my choice. I knew there lots of Muslims at my uni and simply told myself I would not hang out with them, but hang out with other students, who went out and drank (neither of which I've ever done.)

Things didn't quite go as planned at university as ALL of my friends are practising Muslims and I feel part of them, although I don't cover my hair like they do (of course, they don't know I do not believe in the same things as them). This year has really been confusing for me though, because when people ask me if I am Muslim, I do reluctantly say "yes" although my heart screams "NO!"

I want to do things: go out all night, maybe even get drunk, or anything fun, which of course Islam looks down on! But having a mother like mine, who would rather see me married with a good Muslim man before thinking of even leaving the house makes things so difficult.

So now I know that I'm not Muslim (yes, still refer to myself as one sometimes, but only because I'm still "in the closet"), I suppose all I want is freedom. I mean I am proud of myself for being able to have removed my hijab, but I suppose I want the whole non-Muslim lifestyle, which I've dreamt of for a long time... I'm not done trying though, I will get there.  Cheesy

I'd love to meet more people who've gone through or are still going through something similar Smiley

thnkyu

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire
     Reply #1 - May 29, 2013, 07:03 PM

Hi Zinks, cool name, and a really interesting intro.

Welcome to the forum  Afro

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #2 - May 29, 2013, 07:05 PM

Welcome!  parrot  bunny
     Reply #3 - May 29, 2013, 08:11 PM

Don't worry, you will meet many people in the same situation, caught midway between free but not quite.  Glad you finally stopped feeling so shy and joined up.  Also, like the name.   parrot

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #4 - May 29, 2013, 09:35 PM

This year has really been confusing for me though, because when people ask me if I am Muslim, I do reluctantly say "yes" although my heart screams "NO!"

I want to do things: go out all night, maybe even get drunk, or anything fun, which of course Islam looks down on!

I also had this habit of proudly confirming my religion during the first year of my apostasy. Weird, weird thing. It was as if my mouth uttered words of its own and I wasn't in control of my voice anymore.  wacko

As for the alcohol, your next post on here should not be a sober one! Get drunk gurl!

And btw, welcome  parrot

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.
     Reply #5 - May 29, 2013, 11:16 PM

Thank you all for the really warm welcome  Cheesy

"I think I'm gonna like it here!" Haha  whistling2

Reply #6 - June 01, 2013, 07:38 PM

Things didn't quite go as planned at university as ALL of my friends are practising Muslims and I feel part of them, although I don't cover my hair like they do (of course, they don't know I do not believe in the same things as them). This year has really been confusing for me though, because when people ask me if I am Muslim, I do reluctantly say "yes" although my heart screams "NO!"

STORY OF MY LIFE!
    Heh. Welcome Zinks, congrats on removing the hijab!  Smiley bunny
     Reply #7 - July 27, 2013, 01:52 PM

Is it wrong to feel pride that so many people in the UK are leaving religion?

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #8 - July 27, 2013, 02:19 PM

Welcome Zinks, enjoyed reading your intro. Have a complimentary parrot  parrot

I was a 19-year old university student when I finally decided for sure I wasn't Muslim, and I felt free, but also still trapped by old habits. Having that first sip of alcohol was a big hurdle (and when I say sip, I mean sip--the first time I drank, it was literally a sip, and even though I no longer called myself Muslim, it still felt wrong and sinful, and my friends kept telling me "don't worry, dude, it's just one can. Trust me, you're not even going to feel it" but I could only bring myself to have a sip or two. Nowhere near finishing the can, haha). It took some time, and later I had my first glorious taste of bacon, even though for a year or two afterward I still often avoided menu items with pork at restaurants out of habit.

I guess the point is, you want to change and do things differently, and if you put some effort into clearing those hurdles, you can. Even if it's one small step at a time.
     Reply #9 - July 27, 2013, 02:49 PM

Welcome Zinks.

All the best to you! Have a parrot  parrot (dont ask me why parrot.. i am just blindly following other members)  dance

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called a Religion.
     Reply #10 - July 27, 2013, 03:13 PM

Suratul-Parrot:

1.The Parrot
    2. What Parrot?
    3. And what shall make ye know what constitutes a parrot?
    4. Surely, thy lord hath blessed it and filled it with merit
    5. And hath made it taste like chicken when cooked, thus do we compare it.
    6. And the rabbit he hath blessed, and made it love the carrot.
    7. So when thou seeth a furry rabbit, try not to scare it
    8. And when new members join the forum, offer them rabbit and parrot
    9. Dancing side by side together, thus shall ye share it

10. Surely, those who deny parrots and rabbits, we have prepared for them a dunce cap and we shall force them to wear it
    11. For only a few minutes, and just for laughs really, thus does your lord declare it

The sharing of rabbits and parrots with new members is a holy obligation revealed to Prophet happymurtad (peace and blessings be upon myself) from the SWT in The Wahhy Project.

While some members have occasionally forgotten to share both animals together, as is recommended, their intentions are nonetheless sound.

Whoever shares only a rabbit or a parrot shall have the reward of a thousand rabbits or parrots. But whoever shares both rabbit and parrot dancing side by side together shall receive infinite rabbit and parrot rewards, plus 6. And the SWT knows best.
     Reply #11 - July 27, 2013, 03:28 PM

The Prophet Dave commands the death of the heretic happymurtad.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #12 - July 27, 2013, 03:32 PM

Surely, the universe belongs to the SWT and he shall cause to inherit it whomsoever he wills. The proofs of my (PBUM) prophethood are clear for all those who reflect. Be not misled by the followers of Dave al Kathaab. 
     Reply #13 - July 27, 2013, 03:37 PM

Quote from: happymurtad
    Whoever shares only a rabbit or a parrot shall have the reward of a thousand rabbits or parrots. But whoever shares both rabbit and parrot dancing side by side together shall receive infinite rabbit and parrot rewards, plus 6. And the SWT knows best.

er.. just wondering about the rabbit and parrot rewards.. Are they virgin?  whistling2

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called a Religion.
     Reply #14 - July 27, 2013, 03:38 PM

Of course not; we're talking rabbits here. They're total sluts...  grin12
     Reply #15 - July 27, 2013, 03:39 PM

Hi Zinks, welcome !  parrot bunny

I have also felt the same since the time I decided I didn't believe in God anymore; I didn't have any reason not to live all those things that were strictly forbidden before - at least I didn't believe it was WRONG anymore. But being dependent on your family still makes it hard to experience what you want to. I have told myself to be patient and wait for the time where I financially have an opportunity to leave my family and live on my own. I recommend you to do the same Smiley

er.. just wondering about the rabbit and parrot rewards.. Are they virgin?

LOL. And are the rewards only for male members?

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others." George Orwell
     Reply #16 - July 27, 2013, 03:42 PM

Only for male members? Are you kidding me? The benefits are equally distributed across the sexes around here. Grin
     Reply #17 - July 27, 2013, 03:56 PM

Equally! WOW! Not even 1/2 to women and 100% to men! I'm impressed. Thank you kind sir.

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others." George Orwell
     Reply #18 - July 27, 2013, 04:01 PM

Hi, this is Dick. The fact that the Satan happymurtad would share equally to all his fellow human beings proves his evil and his blasphemy.

Reply #19 - July 27, 2013, 08:24 PM

Welcome  parrot bunny
     glad to see another somali leav islam. Before this forum i used to think that I could not go on and life was nothing but an awful song.

I had my first alcoholic beverage a week ago whoop whoop
     Reply #20 - July 27, 2013, 09:18 PM

Welcome Zinks, enjoyed reading your intro. Have a complimentary parrot  parrot

I was a 19-year old university student when I finally decided for sure I wasn't Muslim, and I felt free, but also still trapped by old habits. Having that first sip of alcohol was a big hurdle (and when I say sip, I mean sip--the first time I drank, it was literally a sip, and even though I no longer called myself Muslim, it still felt wrong and sinful, and my friends kept telling me "don't worry, dude, it's just one can. Trust me, you're not even going to feel it" but I could only bring myself to have a sip or two. Nowhere near finishing the can, haha). It took some time, and later I had my first glorious taste of bacon, even though for a year or two afterward I still often avoided menu items with pork at restaurants out of habit.

I guess the point is, you want to change and do things differently, and if you put some effort into clearing those hurdles, you can. Even if it's one small step at a time.

Yeah I suppose old habits die hard. I've had a pint at most, but felt really guilty afterwards Cheesy

Reply #21 - July 27, 2013, 09:19 PM

The sharing of rabbits and parrots with new members is a holy obligation revealed to Prophet happymurtad (peace and blessings be upon myself) from the SWT in The Wahhy Project.

While some members have occasionally forgotten to share both animals together, as is recommended, their intentions are nonetheless sound.

Cheesy I absolutely love surats, please rewrite the whole Quran?

Reply #22 - July 27, 2013, 09:22 PM

Welcome  parrot bunny
     glad to see another somali leav islam. Before this forum i used to think that I could not go on and life was nothing but an awful song.

I had my first alcoholic beverage a week ago whoop whoop

I love meeting Somalis in here, it gives me hope haha :p

Woohoo congrats! dance

Reply #23 - July 27, 2013, 09:43 PM

Well I'm not a Somali but hello anyway  fn pony

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »