Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 12:17 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hi from Denmark - non-muslim here :)

(Read 4929 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Hi from Denmark - non-muslim here :)
     OP - June 10, 2013, 07:49 PM

Hi ex-muslims,

I have been lurking on your fora for the last few weeks so I thought it would be fair to introduce myself so you know what kind of non-muslim might stroll by once in a while.

I can't remember where I got the link to here from. Probably out of some Google-search done out of curiosity.You see, I have several friends labelling themselves as "muslim", but when I go to the Koran (which I did originally because I would like to understand their cultural/religious backgrounds) I simply cannot see them being like that? :S Luckily that is true for almost the rest of the people adhering to that label! Honestly it was not my first hit at the Koran since I have been a history nerd back from time immemorial. But this time I tried to actually comprehend what it said since I found out that (some) muslims think it is "perfect". And I got sad from reading what it said :( Especially since my muslim friends would have to be executed on the spot if this book actually was perfect! How was that for a religion? Problem is that here you really get labeled as an "anti-muslim" really fast if you say that you don't think the Koran is that great a scripture to follow or that Mohammed perhaps wouldn't be the best role model :( Both by (my fellow) left-wings and by my muslim friends.

I'm an old guy - I'm 40 (however I'm in denial of my age!!!) - but I was never baptised (neither were my brothers). Our parents (originally run-of-the-mill-Danish-Lutheran-reformist-state-church-gasp-my-breath!) decided if we were to be religious, we had to make our own choices (jay, youth of '68 Afro ). After having trawled the posts in here I'm SO thankful for them to make that decision!!! Unfortunately they are both dead - the died of two different evils (ALS and brain cancer) on top of eachother. That was tough. So I can't thank them for that. If I could, I would.
    I live in a country (Denmark - so feel free to ask me anything about that country!) where the state and the church is not separated (WTF is about that???) but I would think that only about 5% - tops - are REALLY into hardcore Christianity. I mean... Our Christmas is called "jul" (English: Yule) and means "wheel" - to celebrate the wheel has taken another turn in the yearly cyclus!!! In a couple of weeks we will celebrate "The day of Saint Hans" - a Catholic saint! But we dropped Catholicism and saints 500 years ago! And funny enough it is the day of the summer solstice! Cheesy

I'm a left-wing  parrot and after I have read your posts for the last few weeks I *SO* much miss your emotes on Facebook!!!! piggy

I have been involved in the last few weeks of raising awareness about the democracy/freedom of expression/freedom of media/pluralist/LGBT/environmentalism in Turkey in my home country together with Danes of Turkish origin (Turks, Kurds, Alevits, Armenians, Azerbajdians - you know the drill).

I don't think I will contribute much here actually. You are doing just fine by yourself and it is not my destiny (or proper role) to educate doubting muslims - but I'm so happy I now know where to point people to to get some qualified information Smiley And for that, I thank you all. In Denmark the religious muslim communities seem to be infested by Salafism and Wahabism or just "us-and-them"-thinking - as in me being "them" (opressors, racists,  adulterers (I wish! >.<)).
    But on another note, I think things are improving here in Denmark. Our Greek minority has actively denounced Golden Dawn, and our Turkish and Pakistani minorities are getting more involved in local and national politics. Same with the Somalis. Iraqis and Iranis never gave a fuck and just got into engineering and medicine. We still have some trouble with immigrant (or rather: their offspring) youth stirring up a riot just for kicks and lack of future. But honestly, I don't blame Islam or muslims in general for that. Unlike a lot of my fellow countrymen :(

Well - that was it. Enough for tonight! I'm looking forward to read and giggle of your musings Smiley They have been great to see - and I like the intellectual gist of it! Keep doing that! You rock!

Cheers,
    Nikolaj

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #1 - June 10, 2013, 08:40 PM

I was never baptised...  Our parents (originally run-of-the-mill-Danish-Lutheran-reformist-state-church-gasp-my-breath!) decided if we were to be religious, we had to make our own choices (jay, youth of '68 Afro ).

My parents did exactly the same. They are Church of England, older and ostensibly more conservative than the youth of '68.
     Reply #2 - June 10, 2013, 08:56 PM

Hi Nikolaj, interesting introduction. Welcome to the forum.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #3 - June 11, 2013, 04:36 AM

! In a couple of weeks we will celebrate "The day of Saint Hans" - a Catholic saint! But we dropped Catholicism and saints 500 years ago! And funny enough it is the day of the summer solstice! Cheesy

I will be celebrating "Juhannus" in Finland this year Smiley Do Danes light bonfires too?

Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your stay!

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #4 - June 11, 2013, 05:50 PM

Velkommen Nikolaj, dejligt med en anden dansker  Wink

Yes Danes light bonfires too, and burn a witch  dance
     Reply #5 - June 12, 2013, 03:40 AM

My parents did exactly the same. They are Church of England, older and ostensibly more conservative than the youth of '68.

Hi, David. Nice move by your parents! I worked with an English guy 10 years younger than myself and he didn't get baptised too. And he was grateful for that. Apparently not that uncommon then it seems. In 2012 of all new-borns 75% got baptised in the Danish state church. In 2008 it was more than 82%. So things are going in the right direction great

Hi Nikolaj, interesting introduction. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks, Billy Smiley

I will be celebrating "Juhannus" in Finland this year Smiley Do Danes light bonfires too?

Cheers Naerys, fellow Nordic - thanks for your welcome Smiley

What Asiya said dance Bonfires all over the place! With a witch on top to send off to Bloksbjerg ("Blocksberg" or "Brocken" - the highest mountain in Harzen, Germany. According to Goethe's Faust it is the meeting place of witches, so off they go!). Our beaches and parks will have bonfires country-wide. If you are by the right spot at the beach and the weather is clear you can see a lot of bonfires down the coastline. Quite a sight!

Many places people will add some singing (this melody in special is a tradition: www .youtube. com/watch?v=50LgG8cW6Qc (fiddle with the URL as I can't post links yet) - "Midsummer song" and is about happiness, light, warmth, love and peace - a bit nationalistic but more including than alienating, methinks) and the evening is a perfectly valid excuse to be with friends and/or family and/or get completely and utterly wasted. cheers

It all can be somewhat emotional and "hyggeligt" (best English translation is "cozy" albeit it doesn't quite completely describe the experience).

The church of course outlawed this heathen tradition on several occasions dating back to the 7th century (not for Denmark though - we were off the hook a few more centuries Christianity-wise). That ban didn't work, apparently.

"Sankt Hans" is the Danish rendering of St. John - St. Johannus in Finnish - seems you Finns took the middle ground name-wise.
    Wiki-fiddly: en.wikipedia. org/wiki/St_John%27s_Eve (fiddle with the URL as I can't post links yet)

Tak skal du have, Asiya grin12 Er glad for at vide at jeg ikke er helt alene blandt alle de fremmede her!!! great Den slags kan jo ellers godt virke ret intimiderende på en skræmt lille dansker! Run for the hills

Best regards,
    Nikolaj

Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #6 - June 12, 2013, 03:46 AM

Haha sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm not Finnish (I'm an ex-muslim from North-Africa) but am in a long-term relationship with a Finn so I visit there quite regularly.

Thanks for the info (and to Asiya as well). I never heard anything about witches in Finland. Basically what they do is retreat to their summer cottages and get unbelievably wasted. All in good fun!

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #7 - June 12, 2013, 04:23 AM

Haha sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm not Finnish (I'm an ex-muslim from North-Africa) but am in a long-term relationship with a Finn so I visit there quite regularly.

Heh oops Cheesy It's an ethnic defect on my behalf, being a Danish Dane with more Danish on top of it. Ethno-national inbreeding over the course of 50 generations kind of gets to you when your country also has a very homogenous mainstream culture so it is very easy for (some of) us to just make assumptions which won't work so well in a place like this whistling2

Good choice with a Finn Wink I've met some nice people during the years from Finland. Danish/Swedish/Norwegian are quite close as you probably know. Then we have Finnish...  Huh?

Thanks for the info (and to Asiya as well). I never heard anything about witches in Finland. Basically what they do is retreat to their summer cottages and get unbelievably wasted. All in good fun!

Yeah - Finns and their cottages and their intake of Vodka is a well-established and -founded stereotype Cheesy

I think the tradition with burning the witch comes from Germany and isn't THAT old. It is more about keeping evil spirits away (old farming society superstition - Christianity didn't wipe that one out neither) than actually burning a witch. Denmark had its part of witch-hunts in the 17th century and burned way too many innocent humans at the stake finmad but apparently this is not directly related.

Some of my friends of the female persuasion joke about getting their broomstick ready (changing oil on it etc.) and pimped for the evening dance Some even dress up! witch

I can say I look forward to the night Smiley Should be great fun!

Cheerio,
    Nikolaj

Reply #8 - June 12, 2013, 07:09 AM

Welcome... how are you doing? What are you hoping to find here? Most people here are middle-east/south-asian expatriates in the west who left islam. We're an absolute minority. An invisible trend.
     Reply #9 - June 12, 2013, 09:55 AM

Hello, I hope you stick around, I like your introduction.  Wink
     Reply #10 - June 12, 2013, 10:27 AM

Yes Danes light bonfires too, and burn a witch  dance

I look forward to the day when, instead of killing an actual lamb on Eid, Muslims like let there kids hit a lamb piñata filled with candy or something.
     Reply #11 - June 12, 2013, 01:16 PM

Welcome to the forum, Nikolaj. Denmark is, by all accounts, a beautiful country that is high on my list of places I'm going to visit someday (soon hopefully). Smiley Good to have you here.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #12 - June 14, 2013, 03:10 AM

Welcome nickolaj!   Hmm what do I want to know about Denmark?  Everything lol  I always hear such good things about family living in either Holland or Denmark and I keep meaning to visit.

Oh my Christopher Hitchens its a fihrrrrrrrrrrrr
     Reply #13 - June 14, 2013, 03:11 AM

Lamb pinatas lol  I can see my dad and uncles freaking out "where the meat"?

Oh my Christopher Hitchens its a fihrrrrrrrrrrrr
     Reply #14 - July 12, 2013, 08:05 PM

Welcome Nickolaj, a good introduction.

If Allah is most merciful He should reveal His book unambiguous, complete (covering complete guidance for all time without need of any Hadith or Tafseer), easily and undoubtedly translatable to every language of world with a vivid sign of its proof from Him and its reach to every single human being.
     Reply #15 - July 20, 2013, 11:19 PM

Interesting background and introduction, Nikolaj! I'd love to learn about Denmark; I'd like to do a "tour" of the Scandinavian countries someday, and I really don't know a whole lot about them. I hope you stick around.
     Reply #16 - July 23, 2013, 07:58 AM

Welcome to the forum! Very interesting introduction.
     signwelcome

"The future is bright; only we can get there faster"
     Reply #17 - July 26, 2013, 04:57 PM

Nice to see a fellow dane

Denmark is a nice county to be an atheist, most young danes actually don't belevie in god. However it's difficult to talk about being an ex-muslim to other muslims for.

They say the prophet is all good. He is probably just a sociapath. Unless they think slavery, misogany, pedophilia and war-mongoring are all good.
     Reply #18 - July 26, 2013, 05:14 PM

Nice to see a fellow dane

Hej grin12

Tak - i lige måde Smiley Vi er flere end vi tror Tongue Adskillige danske eks-muslimer hænger lejlighedsvist ud her Smiley

Ja, Danmark er dejligt, hvis man kan undgå al det gylle politikere, medier og on-line hadere spreder finmad

I can see you have just signed up - when you feel like, I encourage you to write an introduction of yourself Smiley

Reply #19 - July 26, 2013, 05:39 PM

har gjort broe

They say the prophet is all good. He is probably just a sociapath. Unless they think slavery, misogany, pedophilia and war-mongoring are all good.
     Reply #20 - July 28, 2013, 04:35 AM

I am sorry for your parents - must be hard to face the loss of  both of your parents. My grandfather had alzeimers, it was sad to watch him die like that.

"The future is bright; only we can get there faster"
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »