Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Need help with Professional life

(Read 1830 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Need help with Professional life
     OP - April 13, 2013, 03:15 AM

Hello guys, I am new to this forum and am so glad I came across this website. For a long time i have been feeling lonely since i didn't feel i belonged anywhere.
    The psychological stress i went through while living more than ten years of my life faking im a muslim has troubled my professional life significantly. To cut a long story short I ended up messing up my a levels despite being an A* student and went to university three years late. however once i got to university i got my act together and my troubles behind me and excelled in my degree so much so that I won an award for achieving the highest grade at university.  However my problems, caused due to the stress of acting im a muslim has helped imbalance me again now that i have graduated and i feel it is hindering my ability to get on the career ladder (well i guess the recession doesn't do the situation a favour either).  by september last year i managed to secure an unpaid internship at a recruitment consultancy firm however it is during this placement that i felt more imbalanced psychologically. Here i felt i had no identity or more that i had a confused one. All my life i have been hanging around with muslims and have learnt to be a fake muslim but here at work the culture was based around a lot of social drinking and clubbing which i wasn't used to. if i was asked to come for a beer i wouldn't know what to say. yet again my confusion of who i actually am is getting to me. i live a muslim lifestyle but don't want one but the problem is it is hard for me to act anything but a muslim because i am so used to it. although i was great at my work I left eventually because i couldn't afford to work for free. However now that i'm on the job hunt again one thing that always plays in my head and gets me down is when i think of the company culture of a company i applied to.  one recruitment firm told me blankly the decision to hire can often just be based on whether a hirirng manager feels a person fits the culture of the existing employees. it always makes me question where i fit in as a person. 
    I dont want any more delays in my professional life and i want to really be a success, its a must.
    I hope i can get everyone's experiences in terms of the obstacles they faced that they felt was related to their position of not being a muslim.
    I would also love to get your opinions on my relationship status - me and my girlfriend of three years have agreed to break up because since she comes from a muslim background and automatically i cannot let her go against her religion - this decision is tearing both of us apart and has left me depressed and lonely quite often.

Reply #1 - April 13, 2013, 08:24 AM

parrot

Why not drink cocacola?  Ok, will rot your teeth and make you fat!

Isn't loving your girl friend more important than silly rules?

David Hendy Noise - on BBC Radio 4 programme starts by discussing echoes.  If you have no understanding of sound and waves, of course echoes are spirits whispering back to you.

I am not sure that people are aware that science actually does enable a fear free world.  You have been trained in this brave new world and you need to fly in it and leave behind your chains.

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #2 - April 13, 2013, 08:26 AM

Welcome, PureSoul  parrot

I'm in a similar situation, because of my background, having not being able to have the opportunities to develop myself as a person fully because I was practically a prisoner at home all the way up until I finished my undergraduate during the time which I did push a little bit, very small steps (pushed to go out like twice a year. I did start lying during my final year about having to stay late for experiments (up to 11pm -but could only do that rarely such as three times), even those times dad would get agitated, it was like walking on eggshells with him. Being a girl it was worse than how my brother was treated/given the opportunities. There was so much tension with my family and no breathing room. I became a hermit in my room for most of the time.

Only got my full independence about a year ago, but I couldn't make friends because of my confidence and work issues. I didn't know how to make friends. Understanding that everybody is nervous to a degree or another to talk to a new person, and thinking of it as 'wouldn't I like it if someone smiled at me, or small talked in a friendly way at a queue maybe?' or if I was the cashier at some place It'd make my day a little better if someone asked something simple as a sympathetic 'busy day?' with a smile. Talking to someone on the bus, at a cafe etc. So I may not have friends (I do now, all from the Ex-Muslim community group and in a different town lol) but I can be a friendly person/enjoy the simply company of strangers sometimes.

And in all other areas I never developed the strong confidence (e.g looks, intelligence etc), one thing I did have was some work confidence because I was good at what I did, after immensely stressing out over things even lost that over time and had to just somehow get myself together and fake it really. Stumbling along. You do have to fake it and keep it together, not being too introspective. At the end of the day you can't control how every other people will view you completely. There are certain things you can try to do, tips from online to show yourself to be more sociable etc, but you're one person. You just have to leave some things on a bit of faith.

As for your relationship bit: If she's a Muslim and knows you're an ex-Muslim and she's ok with it, then that's her choice. If you're happy to be with her as she is, then that is the extent of your choice -don't go making the decision for her -that it's 'better for her', you make your choice and let her make hers. My two cents.

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »