Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Vegeterian debate

(Read 10370 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 3« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Vegeterian debate
     Reply #60 - May 03, 2013, 09:20 AM

Well then, you'll get bitten. If you stepped on me I'd probably bite you too. Tongue

If walking where there are likely to be snakes, watch where you put your feet. I used to go bush in the Aboriginal Bushwalking Outfit. Never had a problem.

ETA: I know this may all seem a bit weird to some people, but the thing is that I was taught how to deal with the bush since I was knee high to a grasshopper. We lived right on the edge of the bush, so by the time we were old enough to be let out of our mother's sight our parents had trained us to not do stupid stuff. We knew that snakes were out there, and snakes had teeth, and you should watch out for them and not pick fights with them. Don't hassle them, make sure they have an escape route. No problem. It really is that simple.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • Vegeterian debate
     Reply #61 - May 03, 2013, 06:29 PM

I have a hard time believing that the desire to consume meat is natural. I think it's just a cultural custom that has survived as long as human beings have existed. It started because in hunter-gatherer times, people had to hunt as meat was an important source of nutrition and we would have died out if we didn't consume meat. We had no choice.

Now we are under no pressure to eat meat. Protein and the other nutrients often thought of being unique to meat can, in fact, be found in many other non-animal things. Moreover, I can see how vegetarianism (or at least significantly less consumption of meat) can actually be healthier than a diet that includes a lot of meat.

As for whether eating meat is ethical, I believe that's the wrong question to start with. To see why, consider this; let's say someone are desperately looking for food, and then that person stumbles upon a dead turkey lying on the street. Now, eating the meat of the turkey would be risky in that it's generally not a good idea, as far as I know, to consume dead animals under such circumstance. But in any case, there is no ethical imperative against benefiting from eating the meat as a dead animal, without its sentience, pretty much has the same moral status as a balloon i.e. none at all.

Therefore, as I see it, the only relevant moral question in regards to vegetarianism is whether killing animals for the sake of consuming them is ever morally acceptable. Whether you just happen to eat meat is completely irrelevant as what you eat is not a matter open to moral judgment.

I'm personally still torn on the issue, honestly - I've seen good arguments from neo-Kantians and utilitarians, but I'm not entirely convinced that slaughtering animals for consumption is immoral. At this time I'm okay with both vegetarians and omnivores (especially since I'm an omnivore myself, lol).
  • Vegeterian debate
     Reply #62 - May 03, 2013, 06:55 PM

Of course it's natural. It's natural by extension of the fact that living things must  consume nourishment and harvest energy in order to metabolise. Eating animal flesh is as natural a means of doing that as eating vegetable flesh. It's only diet choices made intellectually, mimicked eating patterns, or learned/co-operative food acquisition that could be considered cultural.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
  • Vegeterian debate
     Reply #63 - May 03, 2013, 07:13 PM

Vegetarian or vegan diets can be sufficiently fine and healthy diets. But they are not as healthy as a balanced, well-rounded fruit, veg, grain, dairy, seafood, green-fed/pasture-raised meat diet. Assuming you're not allergic to something anyway.

• Vegeterian debate
     Reply #64 - May 03, 2013, 08:56 PM

I have a hard time believing that the desire to consume meat is natural.

Unfortunately for your beliefs, they are trumped by the evidence. This is a common problem with beliefs. Smiley

• Vegeterian debate
     Reply #65 - May 03, 2013, 09:00 PM

I have a hard time believing that the desire to consume meat is natural.

Do you think it's natural when chimpanzees hunt monkeys and kill and eat them ?

If not why and how are humans any different in that respect ?

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
  • Vegeterian debate
     Reply #66 - May 03, 2013, 10:15 PM

Unfortunately for your beliefs, they are trumped by the evidence. This is a common problem with beliefs. Smiley

It does make sense to say we are inclined to being omnivores, I suppose. I'm not one to say that human beings are very different from other animals and so on. But I still think that it's not absolutely necessary these days (at least for a lot of people).
  • Vegeterian debate
     Reply #67 - May 04, 2013, 12:02 AM

^

Just because it's not absolutely necessary doesn't mean it is not natural.

Further just because something is not absolutely necessary is not sufficient of a reason for stopping the consumption of it .

Win and beer are also not necessary but we still drink that.

What are your reasons for not eating meat ?

• Vegeterian debate
     Reply #68 - May 04, 2013, 04:37 AM

You're right. I was conflating some things. 

Anyway, I do eat meat, and I do so without remorse. =P I'm just saying that the morality of eating meat is still arguable because in this day and age, where meat isn't essential, we technically don't need to eat meat.

(Also, I wanted to quote you, but for some reason I'm unable to to do. X_X)
  • Vegeterian debate
     Reply #69 - May 04, 2013, 09:38 AM

What are your reasons for not eating meat ?

Some people might just be hardcore animal lover hippies and don't see animals as food; or maybe they feel that killing animals is cruel. It's not a big deal; it's just a personal choice and as long as they're not imposing it on anyone I don't see why people need to get their knickers in a knot over it.

I'm an unrepentant meat eater btw. 
  • Vegeterian debate
     Reply #70 - May 04, 2013, 01:07 PM

I had this conversation with my atheist friend last night. She is a smart gal, she told me she was becoming a vegan, I told her I could never do it, she gave me all her reasons for doing, I said ok, and we moved on to another topic. Who cares?
  • Vegeterian debate
     Reply #71 - May 04, 2013, 10:08 PM

Hey facial reconstruction of the cannibalised girl from Jamestown.

Good looking girl. Obviously they thought she looked good enough to eat. Yum Yum

• Vegeterian debate
     Reply #72 - May 04, 2013, 10:21 PM

^

When they said victim of cannibalism. Did they mean killed for food or did they just eat her body after she died naturally ?

• Vegeterian debate
     Reply #73 - May 06, 2013, 10:18 PM

You're right. I was conflating some things. 

Anyway, I do eat meat, and I do so without remorse. =P I'm just saying that the morality of eating meat is still arguable because in this day and age, where meat isn't essential, we technically don't need to eat meat.

I agree, there is certainly a moral issue to consider.

Humans are in a unique position. We have the capacity to understand right conduct from wrong, which presents us with choices and, arguably, responsibility too. We have the capacity to be moral agents and we are in a position of safe-living moral authority and stewardship over other animals. We have the ability to question and change what we have inherited from our evolution, and also question and change that which is cultural. The question should be if it's right for us to do something, not if it's right all across the animal kingdom.

There is no argument against eating dead things. That's purely a matter of palette. With the exception of cannibalism, which has overwhelming compelling arguments against it in most circumstances, not even needing to draw upon the instinctual/emotional revulsion of it.

There are good ethical arguments against certain farming, transportation and slaughter methods, though, that cannot be ignored. Once you subscribe to the fact that animals can suffer much like us, there are moral implications to the way we treat them. And one cannot deny that they suffer. Unless one denies logical and scientifically demonstrable proof.

• Vegeterian debate
     Reply #74 - May 06, 2013, 10:27 PM

^

When they said victim of cannibalism. Did they mean killed for food or did they just eat her body after she died naturally ?

No way of telling, but probably the latter.

• Vegeterian debate
     Reply #75 - May 07, 2013, 01:35 AM

^

Well to be honest if people ate my body after I died a natural death I'd think it would be strange to refer to me as a victim.

Victim implies a person has suffered an injustice done to them but since I would no longer exist after death it would not be possible to commit an injustice against me.

just a random thought.

• Vegeterian debate
     Reply #76 - May 09, 2013, 02:20 AM

my goodness I am done with eating meat..  

Now my goal is stop drinking and eating fish,

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Vegeterian debate
     Reply #77 - May 09, 2013, 04:21 AM

I could never go vegetarian because meat is really tasty (lamb is totally jizztastic), and I'm such a picky bitch I wouldn't be able to get my proteins properly. I already don't like seafood and most veggies. I don't like tofu or eggs (mostly) or cheese either.

Damn, I could really go for some duck or lamb right about now...

Anyways, I don't give a shit who eats meat and who doesn't. Whoever the idiot who said not eating meat is like not having sex is an idiot; hunger would be the similar (but not the same) sensation. It's perfectly natural to not eat meat (as if the appeal to nature fallacy meant anything), since being omnivores we eat whatever the environment has for us. It's entirely possible to have a healthy diet without eating meat (don't forget the group is called meat and alternatives), it's just harder.

If we're so bloody rich we can afford to change our vaccines to more expensive ones over unjustified (and disproven) concerns of autism and also afford to oppose genetically modified crops, we can afford to not eat meat.

I'd really like to try eating goat sometime... My nipples would enjoy the experience... Edit: I'll try not to do it when my future pet goats are watching though, if I happen to get that at that time...
  • Vegeterian debate
     Reply #78 - May 09, 2013, 07:08 AM

I've tried goat. It's tasty. yes

• Vegeterian debate
     Reply #79 - May 09, 2013, 09:45 AM

• Vegeterian debate
     Reply #80 - May 24, 2018, 12:54 AM

Have people heard of ''ask your self'' and ''vegan gains?''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeKJhaktGG4&t=5s          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u6h_gG4ouE&t=6s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esh_ciB5j88

Ramadan mubarak piggy bunny
  • Previous page 1 2 3« Previous thread | Next thread »