Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Vegeterian debate

(Read 10372 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Vegeterian debate
     Reply #30 - April 29, 2013, 11:10 PM

We don't have funnel webs here, thank FSM! Those things are scary! I'm terrified of spiders -- except daddy long legs, I don't bother with those. White-tailed spider bites can be really painful and potentially dangerous; I catch a lot of those in the house during the summer, if I see one of those it's dead. If its not a spider or cockroach or some unknown creepy critter -- like an ant or two -- then its left alone. Flying insects never get in the house in the first place, except flies and mozzies; we usually try to shoo the former outside, and mozzies are too damn hard to kill. 
  • Vegeterian debate
     Reply #31 - April 29, 2013, 11:16 PM

What do you mean by "no reason" though?

Absence of a good excuse.

I don't think that's morally questionable. Does anyone think it is?

I think it's objectionable. Dunno if I'd say morally, since that has a lot of important connotation, but it does not please me. Spiders especially. I've punched someone for killing a spider when I asked them not to. I am aware of the hypocrisy when I inflict harm on a thinking, feeling being for harming a thing of little-to-no sentience. But that's what is in my fucked up little heart.

I think what I object to is the absence of consideration. I feel bad when I have to exterminate an invasion of ants in the kitchen, for example. I cannot sufficiently explain why I do. It just seems unfortunate to me on some level that even such small insignificant things must be destroyed, and it manifests as upset. I wonder why some people do not feel bad when they do this. Some people lack that, and that unsettles me somewhat. Even when something like that is necessary, this does not mean there cannot be that consideration.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
  • Vegeterian debate
     Reply #32 - April 30, 2013, 12:30 AM

I loves me my veggies, but if anyone ever tried to take away meat from me foreva?  oh no.  they would have to pry the lamb kebabs from my cold, dead hands.

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
  • Vegeterian debate
     Reply #33 - April 30, 2013, 03:02 AM

So if you were cold and dead could we warm you up and eat you? Yum Yum

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • Vegeterian debate
     Reply #34 - April 30, 2013, 08:01 AM

Nothing can live without consuming other life in whatever fashion. The ethical debate should center around our treatment of living things while they are alive. I can fully understand the concern over factory farming and animal testing. However, once the being is dead, then I don't see any ethical reason for not eating it, it's pretty much fair game.

At evening, casual flocks of pigeons make
    Ambiguous undulations as they sink,
    Downward to darkness, on extended wings. - Stevens
  • Vegeterian debate
     Reply #35 - April 30, 2013, 11:44 AM

So if you were cold and dead could we warm you up and eat you? Yum Yum

I'll be sure to keep working on my lean muscle mass before I pass on into the next realm....especially for you, Oz.   Bon Appetit!  Wink

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
  • Vegeterian debate
     Reply #36 - April 30, 2013, 09:10 PM

Thanks mate. Afro

• Vegeterian debate
     Reply #37 - April 30, 2013, 09:16 PM

^Bloody penguins...
  • Vegeterian debate
     Reply #38 - April 30, 2013, 09:27 PM

Why waste good tucker?  Cheesy

• Vegeterian debate
     Reply #39 - May 01, 2013, 05:11 AM

It's like picking out plants then throwing them out, just because you want to.

If you want to pick out a plant to eat it, go for it. If you want to pick out a flower to study it, go for it. If you want to pick out a plant to draw it, go for it. But to just walk around picking out plants for the sake of picking out plants—that's just asshattery, regardless of whether it's moral or not.

The best part of summer is getting to ethnically cleanse your lawn and garden, IMO.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Vegeterian debate
     Reply #40 - May 02, 2013, 10:01 PM

Speaking of not wasting good tucker.............

Scarred skull reveals cannibalism at Jamestown colony

It sounds like the stuff of a horror movie: cannibalism, and in Jamestown, Virginia, the oldest English settlement in North America.

In 1609, as the colonists were still adjusting to their new home, they were caught in the grip of a brutal winter that has become known as "the starving time". The recently unearthed bones of a 14-year-old girl sheds light on the unfortunate story of how people survived.

William Kelso, chief archaeologist at the Jamestown Rediscovery Project , found the remains and Douglas Owsley, division head for physical anthropology at the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History, used marks on the girl's skull and tibia to show that she had been the victim of cannibalism. Her skeleton provides the first tangible evidence of this in Jamestown, corroborating existing written accounts.

• Vegeterian debate
     Reply #41 - May 02, 2013, 10:07 PM

^I did wanted to post this article when I read the news yesterday but forgot.

Quite a gruesome report.

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
  • Vegeterian debate
     Reply #42 - May 02, 2013, 10:11 PM

We don't have funnel webs here, thank FSM! Those things are scary! I'm terrified of spiders -- except daddy long legs, I don't bother with those. White-tailed spider bites can be really painful and potentially dangerous; I catch a lot of those in the house during the summer, if I see one of those it's dead. If its not a spider or cockroach or some unknown creepy critter -- like an ant or two -- then its left alone. Flying insects never get in the house in the first place, except flies and mozzies; we usually try to shoo the former outside, and mozzies are too damn hard to kill. 

u australians have spiders like this crawling around ??

Thanks god we don't have any big spiders here in Canada.

If I saw this thing in my house i'd thow it out the window with a foot long pole, cover every inch of my walls with a pest control spray for spiders, jump into my bed and try to go to sleep hoping I don't have ant nightmares about spiders.

Those things creep out !!!!

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
  • Vegeterian debate
     Reply #43 - May 02, 2013, 10:15 PM

Yup. It's a huntsman. They're harmless to humans, and munch on bugs that you wouldn't want in your house anyway. They're almost like unofficial, free range pets over here. They just wander in and out of the house and nobody cares (or at least the sensible ones don't).

• Vegeterian debate
     Reply #44 - May 02, 2013, 10:20 PM

^

But what if huntsmen ARE the bugs I wouldn't want in my house?

What if one crawls into your bed when your sleeping. Wouldn't that creep you out ?

• Vegeterian debate
     Reply #45 - May 02, 2013, 10:21 PM

Why would it want to do that? They're not turned on by humans. They'll avoid people if you give them half a chance.

• Vegeterian debate
     Reply #46 - May 02, 2013, 10:21 PM

^
     Black Widows are coming back soon as the rainy season has started over here. I'm buying a long racket(a farming equipment used for tilling) very soon for clearing the webs.

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
  • Vegeterian debate
     Reply #47 - May 02, 2013, 10:23 PM

I hate walking into webs in the dark. The damned things are so sticky and hard to remove. Roll Eyes

• Vegeterian debate
     Reply #48 - May 02, 2013, 10:27 PM

@cato

Shit those are poisonous.

So if one comes into your house do you just call pest control or something ?

• Vegeterian debate
     Reply #49 - May 02, 2013, 10:33 PM

They're not poisonous. They're venomous. Get it right. Tongue

• Vegeterian debate
     Reply #50 - May 02, 2013, 10:33 PM

Nah, we clear the webs as soon as we see them and sometimes we stomp em.

@Ishina:  Terror couch

• Vegeterian debate
     Reply #51 - May 03, 2013, 12:50 AM

^

Isn't it a bad idea to stomp on venomous spiders.  Just pick em up with the long racket and flush them down the toilet or something. 

• Vegeterian debate
     Reply #52 - May 03, 2013, 07:33 AM

Huh?

Pick em up?! Have you seen them before? And they are always outside, they hardly get into the house. You will always find them outside either at the open garage of the house or on the pathways or just right outside the main entrance of the house where you will see them hanging on the web comfortably where one can easily walk into them accidentally. One drip coming out of their body can cause irritation on your skin and I won't risk that.

• Vegeterian debate
     Reply #53 - May 03, 2013, 08:11 AM

Unless its a funnel web or some other massive spider with massive fangs, stomping on it or whacking it with a shoe is usually safe and kills it. That's what we always do; not gonna run the risk of letting it out so it can have a million spider babies and then they launch an invasion of the house Tongue 

@Oz
    What's the difference between venomous and poisonous? 
  • Vegeterian debate
     Reply #54 - May 03, 2013, 08:16 AM

Poisonous is bad if you eat it. Venomous is bad if it bites you. Afro

• Vegeterian debate
     Reply #55 - May 03, 2013, 08:24 AM

Thank you Smiley
  • Vegeterian debate
     Reply #56 - May 03, 2013, 08:34 AM

I play that one on tourists and townies sometimes. They'll be all like "Oooo snake! Is it poisonous?" "Nope, it's perfectly safe to eat. It's only deadly if it bites you."

Funnily enough, they don't seem to find this reassuring. Huh?

• Vegeterian debate
     Reply #57 - May 03, 2013, 08:44 AM

^ Weird, isn't it? I mean I'd find that totally reassuring.
  • Vegeterian debate
     Reply #58 - May 03, 2013, 08:47 AM

Well the point is that if you don't rark them up, they wont bite you. So it should be reassuring, as long as you're not planning on picking a fight. Smiley

• Vegeterian debate
     Reply #59 - May 03, 2013, 09:07 AM

^ What if you accidentally step on one or something?
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »