Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Vegetarian Recipes [NOT a debate thread]

(Read 25953 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Vegetarian Recipes
     Reply #30 - April 23, 2013, 09:13 PM

I'm gonna eat more meat just to make up for everyone else cutting it out of their diet. Grin
  • Vegetarian Recipes
     Reply #31 - April 23, 2013, 09:13 PM

Right on. Afro

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • Vegetarian Recipes
     Reply #32 - April 23, 2013, 09:42 PM

Cooked a veggie curry (quote curry unquote lol):

Carrots
    Courgettes
    Potatoes
    Spinach (just added because they were going to go bad)
    Coriander

curry powder (half a teaspoon)
    half a medium onion
    small garlic glove
    salt

Rice

The potatoes got a bit mashed up... o.o Probably should've also added a whole onion and more curry powder considering the amount of veggies I added.

Haha this is almost exactly what I cooked a week ago. Came out pretty good too. Except I used alot more herbs/spices Tongue I usually take pics of what I cook but missed out here...
  • Re: Vegetarian Recipes
     Reply #33 - April 23, 2013, 10:37 PM

Lol that would have seemed like heaven the other day but then my daughter needed me to explain to her how crab is cooked, and then i remembered being a kid and hearing them screaming in the pot as they boiled to death (and oddly being torn by it but craving the end result)......and I was a bit disappointed with myself since actually, my love of it just seems rather cruel now.

Q: Do lobsters really scream when you put them in boiling water? Or is it a myth?

A: David Foster Wallace, in Consider the Lobster: And Other Essays, explored this question exhaustively. But once again, the answer is: Absolutely not. They don’t have vocal chords or any other means of vocalization. Dr. Robert Bayer, a professor of animal and veterinary sciences at the University of Maine and director of the research organization the Lobster Institute, says if there’s any noise at all when the lobster hits the pot, it might be air coming out of its stomach through its mouth parts. “But it’s nothing that even resembles a scream,” says Bayer.

If they don’t scream, are they suffering in silence? Bayer’s Lobster Institute holds that the invertebrates have such primitive nervous systems (they have no brain and 100,000 neurons versus a human’s 100 billion) that they don’t feel pain. A 2005 study financed by the Norwegian government reinforced this view.

http://www.chow.com/food-news/53859/do-lobsters-really-scream-when-you-put-them-in-boiling-water/

19:46   <zizo>: hugs could pimp u into sex

Quote from: yeezevee
    well I am neither ex-Muslim nor absolute 100% Non-Muslim.. I am fucking Zebra

• Vegetarian Recipes
     Reply #34 - April 23, 2013, 10:45 PM

Have you seen it being done?

BTW, like we have been saying again and again and again, this is NOT a thread for debating whether YOU like to eat flesh or not. If you do fine, nobody here is telling you not to. Why people can't leave one fucking thread alone, where those of us who want to just share veg recipes are chatting, is interesting. It's almost like this thread being here bothers the meat eaters in some way - I wonder why. Anywho, go be bothered somewhere else about it.

And BTW, Lobsters do feel pain.

SCIENTIST: Yes, That Lobster You're Boiling Alive Is Probably In Real Pain
    Agence France Presse   | Jan. 16, 2013, 8:57 PM

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/scientist-lobsters-can-feel-pain-2013-1#ixzz2RKTY79Sz

A lobster thrown live into boiling water may suffer for many seconds, said a scientist who argued Thursday that crustaceans can likely feel pain.

A set of experiments on crabs revealed that the animals are willing to give up a valuable dark hiding place in order to avoid an electric shock, an indicator of pain, said a study in the Journal of Experimental Biology.

Crabs in the study learned to avoid the shelter in a laboratory tank where they had repeatedly received a shock, said study leader Bob Elwood of Queen's University in Belfast.

"They were willing to give up their hideaway in order to avoid the source of their probable pain."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/scientist-lobsters-can-feel-pain-2013-1#ixzz2RKTVp1hk

Any more debate-inducing posts in this thread will be removed.

Stick to the topic. Share and enjoy vegetarian/vegan recipes here.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
  • Vegetarian Recipes [NOT a debate thread]
     Reply #35 - April 23, 2013, 10:51 PM

Ok, this is what I cooked today (described earlier) ._.

I don't follow recipes strictly, I do it more freestyle...hence the mistakes Tongue

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #36 - April 23, 2013, 10:59 PM

Ok, this is what I cooked today (described earlier) ._.

I don't follow recipes strictly, I do it more freestyle...hence the mistakes Tongue

That looks pretty good, especially considering you said you don't try to make curries a lot Smiley I miss potatoes... haven't had any in a while and I'm craving some. Have a 10 lb bag sitting in pantry I've been meaning to do something with..... what to do what to do... Will probably make some chips and also this cumin and potato thing I make that is just impossible to put down. I really have to start writing down my recipes. I tend to free style a lot too. Also, I go by the smell of the food. Usually I know what kind of herb/spice or ingredient something needs by its smell. Weird, isn't it? But it's always spot on.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #37 - April 23, 2013, 11:13 PM

Flaming mad

popcorn <<< vegetarian popcorn parrot

http://www.yummly.com/recipes/vegan-popcorn grin12

osmanthus is being terribly well-behaved and constructive now, ma'am.

Reply #38 - April 23, 2013, 11:30 PM

Allat, do fried potatoes:

Onions, potatoes, herb and salt I think. I've not done it before, but I have a few potatoes too, so definitely doing this sometime soon.

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #39 - April 26, 2013, 04:06 PM

How do you guys get your Iron from a vegetarian diet? I'm concerned about this since I was anaemic recently, don't want to go down that line again.

Reply #40 - April 26, 2013, 09:55 PM

Someone will probably say spinach. Spinach is chock full of iron. The only problem is that it's in a form your body can't use. Supplements work, if you need them.

Reply #41 - April 26, 2013, 10:53 PM

Moroccan food is a really great place to find vegetarian meals, as meat in Morocco is a luxury many families can't afford.

Most dishes that use meat subititute the meat for vegetables, I like vegetable cous cous, or raisins and caramalised onions with cous cous, or vegetable tagine.

This video shows you how to make the tagine......I thought about typing it, but this video is too great not to share.  Grin  also, the method he uses to caramlise the onions and raisins, is the same you would do it, and mix it in to cooked cous cous for a scrummy dish that is to die for.

http://video.about.com/moroccanfood/How-to-Make-Easy-Vegetable-Tagine.htm

and to be fair, this link shows a great round of a few of the moroccan vegetable dishes. 

http://moroccanfood.about.com/od/vegetarian/Moroccan_Vegetarian_Recipes.htm

I'm seriously too lazy to type, but try some moroccan vegetarian dishes, there are more that aren't on there, but if you google you can find even more ideas.

I'm considering going vegetarian to be honest, as it happens I don't eat a lot of meat anyway (because I can't be sure of the calories Cheesy ) it's seafood I would find hardest to let go, but I had a moment of realisation yesterday, especially regarding my love of shellfish, and realised I may love it, but actually I can't deal with the cruel way shell fish dies anymore, so I'm done with it.  Can't believe it took my brain that long to process that.

I mostly these days eat olives, cheese, spiced up vegetables in bagels, lentils...occasionally, moussaka often.

LOL I actually don't eat much really, so it's just a matter of saying to myself that I am now a vegetarian. 

Being a vegetarian doesn't mean eating less, though. In fact, you probably shouldn't do that. You need to eat a big breakfast/protein - like everyone else does (no matter what food plan they adhere to), but particularly as a veg. You will probably feel the need to eat more frequently, but smaller meals. I tell people it's like being a baby - eating every two hours. When I first became veg, I felt like I needed to eat more often. I noticed this transition very plainly. So just be aware of that, and make sure you're always carrying a snack on you (almonds, dried fruit, tasty granola bars, grapes etc)!

I have a recipe to share! This is one of my favorite things to make, and I think it's quite tasty and filling. A little on the salty side, however.

AVOCADO TAHINI SALAD
    -1 or 2 avocados (cut them in chunks)
    -arugula/spinach/any greens you want as the base
    -feta cheese
    -black pitted olives: medium/large work best
    -croutons of your choice
    -tahini dressing (this is the best part of the salad. makes or breaks it - Annie's brand is my favorite, called "Goddess")

I think those are all the ingredients, but I feel like I'm forgetting something. It's pretty straight forward. You just mix all of that. Tongue I had a picture, but I can't find it right now. But make this ASAP. Your tastebuds will love you for it.

Rather be forgotten than remembered for giving in.
     Reply #42 - April 26, 2013, 10:54 PM

Someone will probably say spinach. Spinach is chock full of iron. The only problem is that it's in a form your body can't use. Supplements work, if you need them.

Yep. If you've ever been anemic/iron deficient (and I have been, even as a meat eater) you will just have to take supplements. It didn't matter how many greens or meat I ate - my body just didn't absorb it. I needed the external help. Bit frustrating, but what can I do.

Broccoli and kale are some of the best, though.

Reply #43 - April 26, 2013, 10:55 PM

Allat, do fried potatoes:

Onions, potatoes, herb and salt I think. I've not done it before, but I have a few potatoes too, so definitely doing this sometime soon.

(Clicky for piccy!)

If we're gonna talk potatoes - baking them to a crisp in olive oil and rosemary/oregano/other herbs is heavenly. Add some lemon to it after, and mmmmmm.

Reply #44 - April 26, 2013, 11:01 PM

Or, if you're into mashed spuds (and they are really good sometimes) I always make them with feta and olive oil instead of the trad Pommy butter n stuff. Chuck in some herbs (whatever you're in the mood for) and a bit of salt. Voila. Best mashed spuds ever. parrot

Also, just to annoy HM, best raw tomato recipe ever is the classic tomato, basil leaf and bocconcini combo. Only thing it needs is a bit of black pepper and extra virgin olive oil on top. dance

Reply #45 - May 01, 2013, 03:21 AM

Here's my Avocado Tahini salad! I made it today, so I made sure to take a picture this time!

Reply #46 - May 06, 2013, 05:57 AM

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM I SEE AVOCADO  Yum Yum

Quote from: ZooBear 

• Surah Al-Fil: In an epic game of Angry Birds, Allah uses birds (that drop pebbles) to destroy an army riding elephants whose intentions were to destroy the Kaaba. No one has beaten the high score.

Reply #47 - May 06, 2013, 04:46 PM

Cheesy <3

Derp, I completely forgot to add the recipe for the Veggie Mahshi I posted:

Ingredients:

- 4-5 baby marrows

- 1 large bell pepper (optional)

- 1c dry quinoa

- 1T tomato paste

-1/3c chopped fresh parsley

-1/3c chopped fresh dill

- 1 medium red onion, chopped finely

- 1 large tomato, chopped finely

- 1T coconut or sunflower oil
    - 1 organic vegetable stock cube

- sea salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Prep the marrows by washing, then hollowing out the insides (make sure to save these as you will need them later). At home we have a cylindrical type peeler tool specifically for this purpose, I always thought it was silly – until I tried doing it without it.

Difficult, but doable using the rounded edge of a spoon.

Next comes the “khalta” (the stuffing). Add the quinoa, fresh herbs, onion, tomatoes, oil and salt and tomato paste and mix thoroughly.

As a general rule everything should be equally proportioned, so if you’re noticing more herbs or onions add in some quinoa to balance it out.

Next, we stuff!

Fill the marrows and the bell pepper with the stuffing but be sure not to pack too tightly and leave some room at the top as the quinoa will expand when cooking.

layer the bottom of the pan with the insides of the marrow. I added some chopped tomatoes and leftover sliced onions as well to create a “bed” of sorts.Arrange the marrow and pepper in the pan, pour in about half a cup of stock and bring to a boil.

Then cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until the quinoa is fluffy and the veg is tender.
    Don’t worry about not adding enough water/stock as the vegetables and the stuffing will release a lot of their own moisture.Serve.

Source

Started from the bottom, now I'm here
    Started from the bottom, now my whole extended family's here

JOIN THE CHAT
     Reply #48 - May 06, 2013, 10:30 PM

WHERE"S THE FUCKING RECIPE THEN? Tongue

Reply #49 - May 07, 2013, 12:11 AM

Here is the fucking recipe for that pic up there OZ.  I srsly just made some of those tonight.  Cut whatever veggies you like into long slivers.  I do carrots, cilantro, scallions, lettuce (chopped) avocado, whatever you like.  Then you take spring roll wrappers and soak em, one at a time, in hot water.  for only like a few seconds.  then stuff em like a burrito.  done

NOW, what makes them ever so much fucking better is my special secret recipe peanut sauce.  wanna hear it?

1 and 1/2 cup peanut butter
    1/2-3/4 c coconut milk
    3 Tbs Soy sauce
    3 tbs lime juice (fresh, not that bottled shit)
    1tbs fish sauce
    1Tbs Sriracha hot sauce or red pepper paste
    ginger paste (to taste usually 1 Tb)
    garlic paste (same amt)
    cilantro (same amt)
    water to get the consistency right

whisk all that heavenly shit together and dip your rolls in there.  you can also add crushed salted peanuts in your roll, which basically makes them orgasmic.

or just stop by someday and I will roll some for you.   Wink

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
     Reply #50 - May 07, 2013, 12:57 AM

Fucking cool. Smiley

Reply #51 - May 07, 2013, 01:51 AM

Fucking delicious.  Try it.

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
     Reply #52 - May 09, 2013, 02:32 AM

whoo this is good
    That is a good one for beer
    what an ugly looking stuff .. sorry appetize  killer..

More easy and quick veg recipes please.....

Roasted Vegetable Salad Recipe

3 parsnips, peeled and sliced lengthwise into 1 1/2 –inch long strips
        5 carrots, peeled and sliced lengthwise into 1 1/2-inch long strips
        1 cup frozen pearl onions (or fresh, peeled)
        2 red bell peppers, sliced into medium-thin strips
        10 radishes, sliced
        2 teaspoons cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil
        Unrefined sea salt, to taste
        Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
        7 ounces arugula (at room temperature)
        1/3 cup hemp seeds (such as organic Nutiva brand)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
        Arrange the parsnips, carrots, frozen pearl onions, bell peppers and radishes on top of the baking sheet; drizzle with olive oil and gently toss to coat. Season vegetables with salt and pepper to taste. Roast vegetables for about 35 minutes, or until desired doneness. Remove vegetables from oven and set aside to cool.
        Place arugula in a large salad bowl. Arrange the roasted vegetables on top of the arugula. Sprinkle with hemp seeds. Serve salad at room temperature with Roasted Lemony Garlic Vinaigrette (recipe below.)

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #53 - June 14, 2013, 03:57 PM

Skewered Tofu Dango

Ingredients:

100g glutinous rice flour
    100g soft silken tofu
    water

2 tbsp soybean flour           1 tbsp soy sauce            2 tbsp black sesame     
    1 tbsp sugar                       1 tbsp mirin                   1 tbsp sugar
                                              1 tbsp sugar

Method:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PZuMdrYI7E

Started from the bottom, now I'm here
    Started from the bottom, now my whole extended family's here

JOIN THE CHAT
     Reply #54 - October 17, 2013, 10:29 AM

guys, I swear to god...this recipe is gonna make me believe in god again

I am MADLY in love with this food:

Use

That thing to make the zuccini long and thin.

This is a nice sauce recipe I found:

3 large heirloom tomatoes, or the equivalent of the same amount of cherry tomatoes - cut in chunks
    2-3 halves sun-dried tomatoes
    1-2 dates - pits removed
    1-2 garlic cloves
    1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 cup or more fresh basil leaves
    1-2 leaves, or 1 tbsp of fresh oregano (optional)
    Handful of flat leaf parsley (optional)
    Celtic salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

I just make a basic sauce though: basil, diced tomato,, dried herbs, tomato paste, garlic, capsicum, cook all these in olive oil <- works aweseomely.

http://g0lubka.blogspot.com.au/2010/04/zucchini-spaghetti-with-marinara-sauce.html

ps. If you're worried that you'll taste the zuccini (I was lol) just fill it with the sauce. The texture makes it taste like real pasta.

Quote from: ZooBear 

• Surah Al-Fil: In an epic game of Angry Birds, Allah uses birds (that drop pebbles) to destroy an army riding elephants whose intentions were to destroy the Kaaba. No one has beaten the high score.

Reply #55 - October 18, 2013, 03:15 AM

I bet this would be awesome on spaghetti squash.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #56 - August 12, 2016, 12:47 PM

this looks like an old thread, but I recently joined and as a vegan enjoy many delicious recipes myself  Smiley

I recently found a meat substitute for ground beef by gardein at the store and thought I'd try it out to make keema (for non desi people, it's a South asian meat dish if you could not already tell). It turned out great and tasted exactly like the real thing!!

Ingredients:
    1 package gardein beefless ground
    3-4 tbsp vegetable oil
    1/2 of a large sweet onion, chopped
    2 or 3 tomatoes chopped, idk I usually just guess how many I need lol
    1/2 long green pepper, chopped
    1/2 tsp whole black pepper
    1/2 tsp whole cloves
    1/2 ish tsp cumin seeds
    1 tsp curry powder
    ~3/4 tsp cayenne powder (put a bit less if you don't want it very spicy)
    1 tsp salt
    (Optional) Cilantro for garnish
    (The spice measurements are very approximated, change according to your better judgment if needed)

Pour the oil in a pot and put it over the stove on medium-high heat. Chop onions and add to the hot oil. Once onions start to brown, add chopped tomatoes and green peppers. Let cook for a few minutes. Add the beefless ground and the rest of the ingredients/spices. Turn down the stove to low heat and let cook for 10 or so minutes until the "beef" is a darker brown. While it's cooking, add a little water to the pot so it doesn't get too dry (add a little more than you need bc it evaporates fast)
    Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with naan:)
     Reply #57 - August 12, 2016, 02:23 PM

delicious recipes   Smiley

I'  make keema  for non desi people, it's a South asian meat dish if you could not already tell . It turned out great and tasted exactly like the real thing!!

Ingredients:
    1 package gardein beefless ground
    3-4 tbsp vegetable oil
    1/2 of a large sweet onion, chopped
    2 or 3 tomatoes chopped, idk I usually just guess how many I need lol
    1/2 long green pepper, chopped
    1/2 tsp whole black pepper
    1/2 tsp whole cloves
    1/2 ish tsp cumin seeds
    1 tsp curry powder
    ~3/4 tsp cayenne powder (put a bit less if you don't want it very spicy)
    1 tsp salt
    (Optional) Cilantro for garnish
    (The spice measurements are very approximated, change according to your better judgment if needed)

Pour the oil i Chop onions   brown,   chopped tomatoes  green peppers. Let cook  minutes.   beefless ground  spices. n down the stove  low heat 10 or so  darker brown.  chopped cilantro   naan:)

holycow..
    holy allah doll
    holy elephant
    holy rat
    jesus...

what a dish zoya ., I love it ., but I like your posts more if you could change a  word of your opening post at  http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30329.msg859164#msg859164

if you could change the word  paki ex-Muslim from US  to either Pakistan Ex-Muslim or Ex-Muslim from  Pakistan ., that would make me more happy than eating that Vegetarian Kheema .. PLEASE CHANGE THAT IN THE HEADING OF THE POST ..

if ..if olweasel, and jedi  they could also do the same thing in their posts of the same folder .. I think that will make my day..

could you please do that dear zoya?

with best wishes
    yeezevee

Reply #58 - August 12, 2016, 05:08 PM

Done! My apologies, I didn't realize it could be interpreted as offensive. I will refrain from using in the future. Sorry for my ignorance
     Reply #59 - August 12, 2016, 05:38 PM

Done! My apologies, I didn't realize it could be interpreted as offensive. I will refrain from using in the future. Sorry for my ignorance

Nooo... my goodness gracious  ., there is no ignorance on your part and no apologies needed .. and I wish you wonderful loooong zoya

So more recipes please

with best wishes
    yeezevee

• Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »