Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: What Happens When You Make Yourself Vulnerable

(Read 24510 times)
  • 12 3 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • What Happens When You Make Yourself Vulnerable
     OP - April 02, 2013, 02:35 PM

What Happens When You Make Yourself Vulnerable
    By Kovie Biakolo
    ThoughtCatalog.com

I have always struggled with vulnerability. I like being strong; I’ve always had to be strong, and I have associated vulnerability with weakness for as long as I can remember. Of course in everyday life, it would be difficult for people to know this. I am seen as someone who is quite open and outgoing, at least to the extent that my demeanor is not mistaken for being a cold, unapproachable bitch. After all, I’m also seen as someone who is known for being blunt; the quintessential, “what you see is what you get” person.

Perhaps it’s through writing, perhaps it’s through getting older, but ultimately I’ve realized that I’m a really hard person to get to know. And very few people know even the half of it. I’m guarded and I don’t break easily; no matter how close I am to people, I know that most of them are still kept at a distance that is comfortable, a distance that won’t leave me exposed. I do not like to be vulnerable.

There is no area that this is true more than the intimacy of romantic relationships. Yes, I play it off as being awkward, and I am. And I play it off as being disinterested in the people who courageously approach me, and maybe that is true too. But when it’s all said and done, I am afraid of being vulnerable with people in that way. I like to feel in control of situations, I like to feel that I am always secure and vulnerability gets in the way of that.

When you’re vulnerable, your heart is wide open, you put your trust in somebody in the form of giving them the most precious thing you have – your heart.  When you’re vulnerable you leave yourself available to be hurt and people hurt people. So I guess somewhere along the way, whether I realized it or not, I made the decision that vulnerability was not for me. I told myself that to be vulnerable would mean to give up my strength and I did not want to give it up. My construction of strength almost defined me.

But do you know what happens when you tell yourself that strength opposes vulnerability? I can tell you: Not a whole not, at least not when it comes to pursuing love. Who wants to be with someone that doesn’t think they need anyone? And In my attempt to not be vulnerable, I have ultimately been motivated by fear. I have lived in the fear of rejection and the fear of failing in love and I have told myself that it’s meant to be this way, at least till now. But the truth is I don’t want to be alone. I know I’ll be fine and life will go on and other people do just fine with it, but I don’t want to choose it if I don’t have to.

Lately I’ve been seeing the error in my thinking. I thought that vulnerability was the weaker position when it comes to love. But I’m realizing that the irony of vulnerability in love and in the pursuit of love is that you actually take the stronger position. When you put your heart on the line, when you give it to somebody and you tell them that it’s theirs to keep or break, when you expose who you are and all you are to somebody – that is one of the truest and best strength that there is.

Vulnerability won’t be easy, it might be one of the hardest that I’m ever going to attempt. And it might go horribly wrong – I might get broken or damaged like so many others. But I’m not sure this unspoiled heart of mine is any better off. Loving anything and anyone ultimately comes with hurt and my attempt to not let people get close enough to hurt me has left me with a different kind of pain, a different kind of weakness – the weakness of regret and wonder. I think if I am to be truly strong, I think if any of us are, we have to be willing to expose ourselves and put ourselves through the greatest risk of all – which is love. And in the words of C.S. Lewis, to love is to be vulnerable.

Smiley
     Reply #1 - April 02, 2013, 03:33 PM

Wowow, great read.  Roll Eyes
     Reply #2 - April 02, 2013, 03:56 PM

Great post. Sums up a lot for me right now.
     Reply #3 - April 02, 2013, 07:27 PM

Meh.  I have no idealism left.  I do not believe staying single is being fearful, or the weaker position to take.

If anything I'd say anyone stating my position or their position as the strongest or weakest is doing a huge disservice to me and to themselves.

Since neither position is somehow better than the other.  To seek an elusive feeling that can somehow only be given to you within a relationship, as if THE love is superior to all love, or to seek peace and tranquility away from a scene that has been nothing but disappointment, what makes 'the search' braver?

It takes courage to face a life alone too you know.  It takes courage to stand away from that love rat race that pretty much everyone assumes you should be running headlong in to.  It takes courage to stand against social expectations that all we want or need is the love, and not all the other love we can be surrounded with.  It takes courage to see yourself in the future old and alone, and be ok with that.  

Both take courage, both are a gamble, both have a pay off, both have potential consequences.

The 2 times I made my heart vunerable, are amongst some of the most heartbreaking memories I have of life I have.  But now my heart breaks for no one.  I don't see the choice to step away as the less brave position.

I know this is quite ranty and you weren't saying that, but I have to deal with "oh no don't be silly, you only feel this way now" or "everybody needs love, don't give up yet"  (can I say that to a hardcore gambler in las vegas? ) or, hence the rant "You need to find your courage".

Meh, a bit sick and tired of the whole love as a life goal fantasy that is continuously shoved down my throat.  

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #4 - April 02, 2013, 07:43 PM

Love is icky  vomit

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #5 - April 02, 2013, 07:45 PM

Meh, a bit sick and tired of the whole love as a life goal fantasy that is continuously shoved down my throat.  

+100,000

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #6 - April 02, 2013, 07:47 PM

NIce Berbs. I get your point too. I guess it is one of those "to each his/her own" type things. Try to get as much of whatever floats your boat as you can, and know that it all amounts to nothing in the end.
     Reply #7 - April 02, 2013, 07:55 PM

I think all that floats my boat these days, is the joy I find in just having great friends, from my kids who give me grief, but also give me joy, and to following my education and career goals.  Also finding some peace inside me.

Like you said, it amounts to nothing in the end when I'm dead, but boy oh boy does it amount to something awesome whilst i am alive.  I have honestly never been happier or more at peace than I have been since I found a new, unexpected part of me.  I see that person as brave in new ways, not tirelessly banging a hammer against a broken nail and being surprised it wasn't working properly, but brave enough to try something new.

So yea, it is a to each his own, but I wish my friends and family would stop trying to convince me to be like them, and their own. 

Reply #8 - April 03, 2013, 04:46 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rynvewVe21Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player
     Reply #9 - April 03, 2013, 05:11 AM

I think this article is directed towards people who want to find love but are too afraid to take the leap. If you don't want to find romantic love, that's up to you. Although I think the same concept applies to other forms of love. Overall, people tend to think that staying individualistic and self-reliant is a sign of strength, when the opposite is the truth: when you make yourself so vulnerable, it's a sign that you are strong enough to be able to handle the consequences.
     Reply #10 - April 03, 2013, 05:27 AM

people tend to think that staying individualistic and self-reliant is a sign of strength, when the opposite is the truth: when you make yourself so vulnerable, it's a sign that you are strong enough to be able to handle the consequences.

That is an awesome summary

Love this article too.

Quote from: ZooBear 

• Surah Al-Fil: In an epic game of Angry Birds, Allah uses birds (that drop pebbles) to destroy an army riding elephants whose intentions were to destroy the Kaaba. No one has beaten the high score.

Reply #11 - April 03, 2013, 08:26 AM

Overall, people tend to think that staying individualistic and self-reliant is a sign of strength, when the opposite is the truth: when you make yourself so vulnerable, it's a sign that you are strong enough to be able to handle the consequences.

Ah, so you are in fact saying that only one of these choices is the strong way?

Like I said I disagree, only difference is, I take a position that doesn't require me to call anybody else's position weak. 

Reply #12 - April 03, 2013, 01:41 PM

You said you have friends and family you love, right? So there you go.

What I'm saying is that this article is about romance, but it can equally be applied to other forms of love (as I said in the sentence before the excerpt you quoted).

No one is truly self-sustained, self-reliant, self-sufficient. No matter how much we like to take control of our lives, there'll always be the people who help and support us. We can either acknowledge and appreciate them, or we can pretend we are "self-made" people and deny the influence they have on our lives.
     Reply #13 - April 03, 2013, 01:49 PM

I think the problem is a cultural one. We live in an ultra-individualistic, capitalist society that tells people we are all self-interested and our interests clash with those of others, so we should all make it to the "top" on our own, and if we don't—if we seek help from the state in the form of welfare, or from our family, friends, and community—we're failures.
     Reply #14 - April 03, 2013, 02:27 PM

http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

one of my favorite Ted Talks of all times.  Please listen to this, it ties into this article impeccably!!!

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
     Reply #15 - April 03, 2013, 02:38 PM

You said you have friends and family you love, right? So there you go.

What I'm saying is that this article is about romance, but it can equally be applied to other forms of love (as I said in the sentence before the excerpt you quoted).

No one is truly self-sustained, self-reliant, self-sufficient. No matter how much we like to take control of our lives, there'll always be the people who help and support us. We can either acknowledge and appreciate them, or we can pretend we are "self-made" people and deny the influence they have on our lives.

Oh no, this I agree with.  I'm totally open and appreciative of all the forms of love I am surrounded by, and that I am able to give. 

I thought this thread was about romantic love only, as I felt that is what the article was stating.

Reply #16 - April 04, 2013, 03:34 AM

That doesn't really make me feel any better. So vulnerability means strength. So what? I'm strong? I still might get really, really hurt. Hooray. Grin
    And yes, I can deal with it, but what about that process is beautiful? It's gonna suck.

So what's the point of this? We're supposed to pat ourselves on the back simply for being "strong"?

Rather be forgotten than remembered for giving in.
     Reply #17 - August 13, 2015, 01:01 PM

Alternatively you can wait for others to make themselves vulnerable to you.

And then you strike.  cool2

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #18 - August 13, 2015, 01:24 PM

You could do that, which is ultimately what I think a lot of people fear will happen if they are vulnerable. Many people, I think, fear that once they let others in, once they bare themselves for who they are and lay their cards on the table, people will inevitably spot their weaknesses, hone in on them, and use them against them.

My experiences have taught me something very different from that, though. By embracing and being yourself, I’ve found that you will naturally attract the people who recognize the strengths in you – the strengths you don’t have to put on a front in order to portray. That is where true greatness comes from: people being who they are in order to achieve what they really want to achieve.

Conversely, when you put up this false show of whatever it is, strength, confidence, organization, knowledge, outgoingness, sternness,whatever, you may actually attract people who are attracted to those sorts of qualities, but then you are left having to put up the façade all of the time, lonely in your own company, isolated amongst the very people you tried to attract.  That, or you end up actually alone and with no one to relate to. It’s not a fun place to be, in my opinion.

So yeah, I don’t believe in the whole “don’t let them see you cry” philosophy anymore. I don’t cry very often, but if you are put off my crying when I do (instead of understanding why I cry), then you’re probably not for me anyway.
     Reply #19 - August 13, 2015, 01:45 PM

Good luck.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #20 - August 13, 2015, 03:21 PM

I really don' know what vulnerability means. It's a word I understand on a linguistic level, but I have a hard time to wrap my head around what it means in real life and in your interaction with other people. What I do know, however, is that it is very hard for people who distrust others, and who maybe even have problem with their own self-esteem and self-confidence, to open up themselves and let others is. Being someone who can relate to those struggles, it's the same whether that be romantic love relationships or platonic (which is also a type of love) friendships. Self-esteem and self-confidence is a rather complex issue, and it's not always either you have it or you don't. You can have big self-confidence and strong self-esteem in some aspects, but they can be more or less non-existent in others.

It takes courage to open up and seek out contact with other people on a deeper lever. When you want to. If you don't want it, you truly don't need it, and are content with being by yourself, then it takes courage to stand up to the expectations of others. If you do want company, friendship, love, romance, and are afraid, but still do it. Then it takes courage to do so.

Whatever. I don't know what it means to be vulnerable. What I do know is that I'm afraid of loving someone more than they love me, whether that be a friend or a lover.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #21 - August 13, 2015, 03:57 PM

Isn't the opposite wonderful though?

When someone adores you but you couldn't give a whit about them? It's like the most amazing experience in the world to hold that power over others. It really makes life worthwhile!  Smiley

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #22 - August 13, 2015, 04:08 PM

You're sick, asbie. Cheesy
     Reply #23 - August 13, 2015, 04:14 PM

When someone adores you but you couldn't give a whit about them? It's like the most amazing experience in the world to hold that power over others. It really makes life worthwhile!  Smiley

Let me change those words a bit

"When someone adores you but you couldn't give a shit about them?"

That means asbie  is a prophet material....

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #24 - August 13, 2015, 04:38 PM

Isn't the opposite wonderful though?

Actually, no. It makes me feel obligated to like them back. Which I don't. So it brings me nothing but discomfort.

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #25 - August 13, 2015, 06:36 PM

Aww Cornflower, that's when your desensitization towards others comes in handy. Then you're well on your way to psychopathy!  Afro

Let me change those words a bit

"When someone adores you but you couldn't give a shit about them?"

That means asbie  is a prophet material....

dance

You're sick, asbie. Cheesy

Nothing new under the sun.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #26 - August 13, 2015, 06:36 PM

-

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #27 - August 13, 2015, 06:38 PM

-

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #28 - August 13, 2015, 09:13 PM

-

Totally get you man.

Absolutely. I hate it when that happens  Cheesy Cheesy
    -

Hi
     Reply #29 - August 13, 2015, 09:46 PM

I have my eye on you my friend...  Angry

Actually, I was hoping to delete those posts, because I could fit them into the one above, but yeah that didn't work as planned. Grin

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • 12 3 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »