Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: a bangladeshi ex-muslim here

(Read 8284 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • a bangladeshi ex-muslim here
     OP - March 23, 2013, 06:25 PM

hi everyone,

i left islam quite a while ago, in 2008, and funnily enough, the spark that started my 3 year journey of denial, confusion, and acceptance was a website my muslim friend showed me that ridiculed judaism (thebricktestament.com) back in 2005, but the website is an equal opportunity religion-basher so there was a link to FFI in it, and thus began my long journey. isn't it ironic that i left islam because a muslim guy tried to show me how ridiculous judaism is. lol.

anyway, hope to take part in interesting topics here, and also share some challenges i'm facing currently relating to religion. cheers!

The right to think the unthinkable, discuss the unmentionable, and challenge the unchallengeable.
     Reply #1 - March 23, 2013, 08:00 PM

Hi, welcome to the forum. Great to have you here!  Afro

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #2 - March 23, 2013, 08:52 PM

Welcome to the forum.   signwelcome

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #3 - March 23, 2013, 09:24 PM

hey man i am myself a new ex-muslim  Smiley i left islam almost a week ago , but my denial  journey began 5 or 6 years ago.  

Doth some one say that there be gods above? There are not; no, there are not. Let no fool, Led by the old false fable, thus deceive you.
    --Euripides (480 BC - 408 BC)
     Reply #4 - March 24, 2013, 12:10 AM

Hi! Welcome grin12 parrot

Quote from: ZooBear 

• Surah Al-Fil: In an epic game of Angry Birds, Allah uses birds (that drop pebbles) to destroy an army riding elephants whose intentions were to destroy the Kaaba. No one has beaten the high score.

Reply #5 - March 24, 2013, 12:15 AM

Welcome on the forum!

I'm not an ex-muslim myself but I'm glad to see that we don't even need to expose Islam in order for some Muslims to reconsider their religion Smiley

If the abrahamic god judged himself according to his own moral standards, he'd go to hell.

He's jealous, full of pride, he created evil, he doesn't heal sick people while he could, he's attacking people who are weaker than him, he follows his own desires and he commits murders all the time.
     Reply #6 - March 24, 2013, 01:10 AM

Snap. I'm a Bangladeshi ex-Muslim too. Welcome to the forum even though I'm sort of new as well. Smiley

free |frē| - Not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes.
     Reply #7 - March 24, 2013, 02:14 AM

Hi!  bunny

I used to be married to a Bangladeshi Muslim.

Welcome to the forum.  parrot

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #8 - March 24, 2013, 05:13 AM

Hi, welcome to the forum. Great to have you here!  Afro

hey man i am myself a new ex-muslim  Smiley i left islam almost a week ago , but my denial  journey began 5 or 6 years ago.  

Hi! Welcome grin12 parrot

thanks. @inter329, welcome to the ex-muslim fold, and wow, 6 years is a long time. how are you holding up?

Welcome on the forum!

I'm not an ex-muslim myself but I'm glad to see that we don't even need to expose Islam in order for some Muslims to reconsider their religion Smiley

thanks. what's your religious background, if any?

Snap. I'm a Bangladeshi ex-Muslim too. Welcome to the forum even though I'm sort of new as well. Smiley

do you live in bangladesh? i haven't been there since 2010 and these days, after all the incidents relating to the shahbag movement, it makes me uncomfortable to think about going there again. did you hear about the university students, led by a mullah mastermind, who killed the allegedly atheist blogger? apostasy killings NEVER happen in bangladesh. i was shocked.

The right to think the unthinkable, discuss the unmentionable, and challenge the unchallengeable.
     Reply #9 - March 24, 2013, 05:15 AM

Hi!  bunny

I used to be married to a Bangladeshi Muslim.

Welcome to the forum.  parrot

thanks. did you marry him when you were muslim?

Reply #10 - March 24, 2013, 10:17 AM

Welcome to the forum Optimus Prime  Smiley

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #11 - March 24, 2013, 10:21 AM

Welcome Optimus prime parrot That's an awesome apostasy story btw bunny
     Reply #12 - March 24, 2013, 10:39 AM

Welcome, optimus bhai. I'm also Bengali (but I've never been Bangladeshi - my dad didn't fancy it much after 1971). As local custom dictates, allow me to present you with a complimentary  parrot and  bunny.
     Reply #13 - March 24, 2013, 10:51 AM

Welcome to the forum Optimus Prime  Smiley

Welcome Optimus prime parrot That's an awesome apostasy story btw bunny

thnkyu yeah the story is quite interesting. would've been better if the guy who sent me the link was an extremist-type muslim though. i think he was back then, but he's very liberal now. anyway, here's a classic from the brick testament/old testament - http://www.thebricktestament.com/the_law/when_to_stone_your_children/dt21_18a.html

^it's always good to know when to stone your kids  dance

Reply #14 - March 24, 2013, 10:53 AM

Welcome, optimus bhai. I'm also Bengali (but I've never been Bangladeshi - my dad didn't fancy it much after 1971). As local custom dictates, allow me to present you with a complimentary  parrot and  bunny.

hello! so when did you become an infidel?  parrot

Reply #15 - March 24, 2013, 12:07 PM

Officially, a couple of years or so. Unofficially, a few years longer, to the extent that I saw being Muslim as a political identity despite not really believing in God.

It's surprising how not having to apologise for bearded monomaniacs makes life more bearable  Wink
     Reply #16 - March 24, 2013, 12:30 PM

thanks. what's your religious background, if any?

I was baptized Catholic and I'm born in a christian family (my parents don't believe and practice but some members of my family do). But I was never religious and I never really believed in any religion.
    I almost converted to Islam though... But I didn't and I finally saw Islam is a fraud and that's why I'm here.

If the abrahamic god judged himself according to his own moral standards, he'd go to hell.

He's jealous, full of pride, he created evil, he doesn't heal sick people while he could, he's attacking people who are weaker than him, he follows his own desires and he commits murders all the time.
     Reply #17 - March 24, 2013, 12:39 PM

^ Just out of curiosity, what led you to Islam in the first place?
     Reply #18 - March 24, 2013, 12:58 PM

First I moved to a city where there are mosques (I used to live in the countryside where there is one church per village), so I was in a context where I could have convert easily. Approximately 2 years after I moved here, I had 2 weird dreams which stayed on my mind... Then I met a Muslim guy (on the internet) who introduced me to Islam and by talking to this guy and by doing searches about Islam, I related my personal story and mainly my dreams to the fact that maybe I "should" become a Muslim and that it was maybe "signs from God"...

This is the very shortened version of how I almost became a Muslim but I think the main thing is the dreams that I had.

Reply #19 - March 24, 2013, 02:46 PM

^ Thanks for sharing Smiley Lucky you never got sucked into it.
     Reply #20 - March 24, 2013, 02:52 PM

Welcome, there's quite a few Bangladeshi ex-muslims..

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #21 - March 24, 2013, 03:24 PM

First I moved to a city where there are mosques (I used to live in the countryside where there is one church per village), so I was in a context where I could have convert easily. Approximately 2 years after I moved here, I had 2 weird dreams which stayed on my mind... Then I met a Muslim guy (on the internet) who introduced me to Islam and by talking to this guy and by doing searches about Islam, I related my personal story and mainly my dreams to the fact that maybe I "should" become a Muslim and that it was maybe "signs from God"...

This is the very shortened version of how I almost became a Muslim but I think the main thing is the dreams that I had.

that sounds like quite an interesting story. are you a spiritual person? do you believe in astrology/numerology/fatalism? i think we humans do have a tendency to look for "signs" of things, and we look for commonalities between things, affirmations, and forcing meaning into coincidences. but we always skip over the things that don't "hit". i'm not sure if i'm expressing the idea properly, but in essence, it's superstition. in the region where i live, people here often don't believe in god, but superstition regarding luck, fate, chance, success, and misfortune, is inbuilt in the culture.

i'm not sure myself if signs/coincidences/fatalism are true, but this quote by francis bacon always puts me back to reality - The general root of superstition is that men observe when things hit, and not when they miss, and commit to memory the one, and pass over the other.

http://atheism.about.com/od/weeklyquotes/a/bacon01.htm

Reply #22 - March 24, 2013, 03:26 PM

Welcome, there's quite a few Bangladeshi ex-muslims..

oh interesting. are people on this forum mostly from south asia?

Reply #23 - March 24, 2013, 03:29 PM

Officially, a couple of years or so. Unofficially, a few years longer, to the extent that I saw being Muslim as a political identity despite not really believing in God.

It's surprising how not having to apologise for bearded monomaniacs makes life more bearable  Wink

are you out in the open about your beliefs? i wish we could all come out of the closet to muslims.

Reply #24 - March 24, 2013, 06:26 PM

oh interesting. are people on this forum mostly from south asia?

I wouldn't say mostly but there's definitely a large number of them; I'm guessing they're the largest ethnic group here but we're overall quite a mixed bag Smiley
     Reply #25 - March 24, 2013, 06:57 PM

that sounds like quite an interesting story. are you a spiritual person? do you believe in astrology/numerology/fatalism? i think we humans do have a tendency to look for "signs" of things, and we look for commonalities between things, affirmations, and forcing meaning into coincidences. but we always skip over the things that don't "hit". i'm not sure if i'm expressing the idea properly, but in essence, it's superstition. in the region where i live, people here often don't believe in god, but superstition regarding luck, fate, chance, success, and misfortune, is inbuilt in the culture.

i'm not sure myself if signs/coincidences/fatalism are true, but this quote by francis bacon always puts me back to reality - The general root of superstition is that men observe when things hit, and not when they miss, and commit to memory the one, and pass over the other.

http://atheism.about.com/od/weeklyquotes/a/bacon01.htm

You are totally right about the fact that we focus on things which "hit" and ignore the rest.

I definitely not believe in those kinds of superstition, especially astrology and numeroly which I find stupid. lipsrsealed For a few years I struggled with the belief in destiny, I wanted to believe in destiny but had no proof... Now I think that things are what they are because otherwise they would be different... and we would wonder why things aren't like they are right now... lol. Not sure if this is clear, but my point is we have no particular reason to believe in determinism/destiny.

Reply #26 - March 24, 2013, 10:38 PM

hi and welcome  Smiley
     Reply #27 - March 25, 2013, 12:10 AM

thanks. did you marry him when you were muslim?

Yes, I did.

After a few years though I just couldn't do it anymore and we separated and divorced after 6 years together.

If you go to Singlemuslim.com and do a video search on Muhammad and Catherine you can see him with his new wife.

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #28 - March 25, 2013, 01:12 AM

^

Is this the video your talking about ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR0VBPLQqj8

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #29 - March 25, 2013, 03:13 AM

Yes.

• 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »