Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: iERA the sausage party

(Read 24180 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 3 4« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • iERA the sausage party
     Reply #90 - March 22, 2013, 06:02 PM

That link contains a reddit discussion. So.... what's your point? Bear in mind, the point I made is about Orthodox Judaism, not about Reform Judaism.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
  • iERA the sausage party
     Reply #91 - March 22, 2013, 06:20 PM

The siddur linked within the discussion.

http://www.jtslibrarytreasures.org/Womans_Siddur/

I linked the discussion specifically because of the translation provided by Branmuffinavenger:

The relevant section says "Blessed are you God, master of the universe, who has created me as a woman and not as a man." This is as opposed to today's generally-accepted women's blessing: "Blessed are you God, master of the universe, who has created me according to his will."

This predates schisms between reform, orthodox, and conservative Judaism, unless you'd like to convince me that 15th century Italy is 19th century Germany.

FreeThought Wiki is looking for translators!

Current projects: Faraj Foda's "al-Haqiqa al Ghaib" (Arabic) and Turan Dursun's "Din Bu I" (Turkish)
  • iERA the sausage party
     Reply #92 - March 22, 2013, 07:19 PM

^ the quran / hadith also include occassional bits of good stuff. that doesn't mean anyone listens to them over the more prevalent misogynstic stuff. Same with judaism.

Yeah an I am super ugly, I can't even beat my chest am too skinny and when I roaaar to attract women, they laugh at me, because it sounds like a girl screaming. I can't even attract any bitches!  Cry

• iERA the sausage party
     Reply #93 - March 23, 2013, 04:01 AM

Funny thing I was talking to my Jewish friend and it's the opposite in Hasedic Jewish communities.
    Woman are expected to
    - go to college
    - get a job
    - have more than 5 kids (the whole be fruitful and multiply)
    - maintain the household

Meanwhile the men's duties are
    - praying..
    - praying...
    - keeping God happy and praying some more.

Every non-Hasedic Jew acknowledges that Hasedic men are completely useless. At least Muslim men go work. Can you imagine doing everything a conservative Muslim woman is typically suppose to do, AND have 5 kids, AND going to work to earn money. While you're husband just chills at the mosque all day.

FUN FACT!

Are those Hasedics ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG0FB-bZuoU
  • iERA the sausage party
     Reply #94 - March 23, 2013, 04:34 AM

*kiss of life*

I'm not going to wash for a week.
  • iERA the sausage party
     Reply #95 - March 23, 2013, 04:52 AM

can you two move your cybering to PM? kthxbi  vomit

Yeah an I am super ugly, I can't even beat my chest am too skinny and when I roaaar to attract women, they laugh at me, because it sounds like a girl screaming. I can't even attract any bitches!  Cry

• iERA the sausage party
     Reply #96 - March 23, 2013, 03:45 PM

Jealous YOLO?
  • iERA the sausage party
     Reply #97 - March 24, 2013, 01:18 AM

• iERA the sausage party
     Reply #98 - March 24, 2013, 05:35 AM

The siddur linked within the discussion.

http://www.jtslibrarytreasures.org/Womans_Siddur/

I linked the discussion specifically because of the translation provided by Branmuffinavenger:

This predates schisms between reform, orthodox, and conservative Judaism, unless you'd like to convince me that 15th century Italy is 19th century Germany.

The reddit page you posted has comments regarding the obscure and possibly parochial (Italian) nature of this "women's siddur". Regardless, none of the Orthodox & Hassidic Jews I lived with in Brooklyn for years ever heard of this. Contemporary Orthodox Jews may be akin to Wahabbis, in that they are part of a relatively recent revivalist movement that is founded upon regression to an imagined past glory.

Besides, there are other examples of misogyny in Judaism. Like:
    - Not allowing women to pray at the Western Wall.
    - Considering menstruating women ritually unclean, requiring the ritual bath, Mikveh.
    - Not allowing women to be Rabbis.
    - According to this Jewish writer, male circumcision itself is a patriarchal institution:
    There they are, the twin patriarchal fears: the fear of woman and the fear of pleasure. Circumcision is both the vehicle and the product, the menace and the antidote, which simultaneously assuages and perpetuates these ancient terrors. This is the achievement and true function of circumcision. Circumcision achieves this by violently breaching the maternal-infant bond shortly after birth; by amputating and marking the baby's sexual organ before he knows what he has lost; by disempowering, "taming," the mother at the height of her instinctual need to protect her infant; by bonding the baby to the community of men past, present, and future and to a male-imaged G-d; by restructuring the family and the society in terms of male dominance; and by psycho-sexually wounding the manhood still asleep in the unsuspecting baby boy. In all of these ways -- socially, politically, religiously, ethnically, sexually, tribally, and interpersonally -- the cutting of our baby boys' sexual organs is the fulcrum around which patriarchy exerts its power. Circumcision is a rite of male domination -- domination and the entitlement of domination over other men, women, and children, both institutionally and personally. It is the essence of patriarchy.  -source

Again, keep in mind that all or most of these things are prevalent in ORTHODOX Judaism (along with some Conversative Jews too). You may not like it, you may list a number of reformist reinterpretations, but these are documented beliefs/practices of Orthodox Jewish people.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
  • Previous page 1 2 3 4« Previous thread | Next thread »