Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: MMA (Mixed Martial Arts)

(Read 97203 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 34 5 ... 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • MMA (Mixed Martial Arts)
     Reply #60 - April 07, 2013, 04:38 PM

A true martial artist walks away from a fight.

But if it comes down to it, even a few boxing lessons can give you an edge.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #61 - April 07, 2013, 04:45 PM

UFC 159 is fast approaching. Gonna be epic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i35rPFu8tMo

I don't like Sonnen and I can't wait for Jon Jones to put him in his place.

Reply #62 - April 07, 2013, 08:49 PM

rawwwr, I just love to watch a good promo with all that crazy shmack talkin'

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
     Reply #63 - April 08, 2013, 01:18 AM

It's gonna be a good fight. Well worth watching. Get yourself down to the pub if you don't have cable.

Reply #64 - April 08, 2013, 10:58 PM

you're right...I need to find a good pub that plays these.  fu**ing sick of all the rugby and footie they play at the pub I work at.

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
     Reply #65 - April 22, 2013, 06:35 PM

Only 5 days to wait.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GPLSEZJ8Oc
    Sonnen is gonna get knocked the fuck out. WAR JONES.

Reply #66 - April 22, 2013, 07:35 PM

Been some great fights recently actually.

Good title defence, Benson Henderson vs. Gilbert Melendez on Saturday. Evenly matched and went the distance. Shame someone has to lose on points when it's like that. Henderson proposed to his girlfriend at the end which was a nice little end to the night.

Awesome fight between Urijah Faber and Scott Jorgensen the week before. I love Faber to bits. I love how he can make a takedown game look exciting.

Incredible fight between Cat Zingano and Meisha Tate. One of the best fights I've seen this year. Fucking brutal finish by Zingano. Some are saying the stoppage was premature, but I don't think Tate was gonna recover from this:

So it's Zingano who gets a shot at Ronda Rousey's belt in September. That's gonna be one to get excited about.

This last season of The Ultimate Fighter was the best so far, too. Good showcase of amateur talent. What a fucking revelation Uriah Hall was. Where's he been hiding all this time? Amazing agility and athleticism. So much raw talent. He can be a real contender if he tightens up his game.

I really recommend TUF for anyone even mildly interested in MMA. It has a reality TV feel, but there isn't much room for scripted drama typical of the format. It's serious business. The hurt business. The competitors are earning real money in the fights. With a 6 figure fight deal on the line.

Spoilers:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj3xL9zoY1M

Reply #67 - April 24, 2013, 11:30 AM

Countdown to UFC 159
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKJlYaEorho

Chael Sonnen would be less of a chump if he didn't say shit like "I destroyed Anderson Silva" No Chael, you didn't destroy him. You lost TWICE against him. While you were on PEDs. Chump.

He might have rocked Silva a few times, been at an advantage in the fight a few times, but what chumps like Chael don't understand is that champions have that extra reservoir of fight in them and step it up a gear when they have to. Fall seven times, rise eight times. Fight isn't over until it's over.

Reply #68 - April 24, 2013, 02:53 PM

I want to start kickboxing again, didn't stick to it last time I started it because of exams and things.

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #69 - April 29, 2013, 07:12 PM

Jones vs. Sonnen on Saturday wasn't even a fight. It was an ass kicking. Jones didn't go in the cage to fight or to win, he went in there to hurt Sonnen for everything he said about him.

I knew Jones would win, but I didn't expect him to just demolish Sonnen so quickly and effortlessly. And to add insult to injury, he beat Sonnen at his own game. Everyone expected Jones to keep Sonnen at range and keep it a stand up fight to avoid the danger he presented. He surprised everyone by fighting Sonnen's typical style of take downs and ground & pound. Schooled him in his own style. Genius. As if I didn't love him enough already.

Shame about Jones' injury though. Broken toe that looked nasty. Hope it doesn't keep him out of action for long. Was a weird night for injuries.

Reply #70 - April 29, 2013, 07:16 PM

I want to start kickboxing again, didn't stick to it last time I started it because of exams and things.

Get yourself a punchbag. Keep your form up when you can't get to the gym. Plus a great way to blow off some steam.

Reply #71 - May 01, 2013, 11:37 PM

This is what lights me up:

History of WMMA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TshRIJ-DpKw

001_wub

Reply #72 - May 02, 2013, 02:06 AM

That toe looked really awful. I've been into MMA for quite some time now. I'm waiting for the GSP/A. Silva super fight to happen. I remember people from GSP's team saying something about it after GSP's recent fight, but they did say that Anderson has to beat Weidman first.

Like GSP and A. Silva, Jones has dominated his division, and I think there's nothing left for him at 205. The next move for him would probably be moving to the heavyweight division. It will be really interesting to see him against the likes of Overeem and Dos Santos.

Enough about the UFC, I have a heavy bag at home that I trained on for a while, and I am going to start again.
     Reply #73 - May 02, 2013, 02:07 AM

Here's the video of that injury.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uZeY_PR47Q
     Reply #74 - May 02, 2013, 02:49 PM

That toe looked really awful.

Yeah, he's medically suspended indefinitely with that. I can't believe he didn't feel it straight away. He was doing cartwheels. Nobody does cartwheels on a broken toe. Then he saw it with his eyes, and you could see he went into shock.

If Sonnen had managed to hold on till the end of the round, Jones would have been taken out of the fight for that injury and Sonnen would be new champ.

I've been into MMA for quite some time now. I'm waiting for the GSP/A. Silva super fight to happen. I remember people from GSP's team saying something about it after GSP's recent fight, but they did say that Anderson has to beat Weidman first.

In the post fight presser, Dana mentioned that Anderson Silva made a phonecall to him asking for a name. Silva either wants a St-Pierre or a Jones fight. Dana was a bit evasive about which one he asked for. 

Silva vs. St-Pierre will be predictable and doesn't really get me excited. It'll probably go like the first Silva vs. Sonnen fight. St-Pierre will just take him down again and again and the fight will be all horizontal. He wont finish Silva. Either St-Pierre wins via takedowns/points or Silva will weather it, set up something from the bottom, and win by submission. I'd be surprised if it stays stand up for any significant length of time.

Much rather see Silva vs. Jones. That'll be such an incredible display of mixed martial arts. An intelligent, creative, dynamic fight between two fighters with an almost superhuman talent and individual flair. I can't predict anything about that fight and that's why the idea of it is exciting to me.

Like GSP and A. Silva, Jones has dominated his division, and I think there's nothing left for him at 205. The next move for him would probably be moving to the heavyweight division. It will be really interesting to see him against the likes of Overeem and Dos Santos.

Well, he'll want at least one more fight at LHW to break Ortiz's record (5 title defences in a row). He's always talked about wanting that record. He matched it with this win. But he's also talked about wanting to move up to HW eventually. He's certainly got the frame for it. And he's got brutal stopping power and a viscous ground game. There is no reason why he can't dominate HW too.

It depends on Dana though, ultimately. He's the boss. He's seeing the bigger picture, getting the sponsors, the venues, taking UFC and MMA to bigger and better places. He's kinda hard to predict at times. I think he'll want a few more LHW fights out of Jones.

Reply #75 - May 02, 2013, 03:04 PM

Y'know, I can easily imagine Jones holding the LHW and HW belts at the same time. Is there any reason why he'd have to lose his LHW belt if he moved up, provided he could still make weight and straddle fights between both divisions? I'm not sure how they work all that stuff out.

Reply #76 - May 03, 2013, 12:12 AM

Anderson should definitely fight Jones and GSP before he retires. So, do you think Weidman might beat Anderson?

Y'know, I can easily imagine Jones holding the LHW and HW belts at the same time. Is there any reason why he'd have to lose his LHW belt if he moved up, provided he could still make weight and straddle fights between both divisions? I'm not sure how they work all that stuff out.

That would probably take a lot out of him physically. Jones walks around at 220 right now, so he could possibly go to 240-250 to fight in the HW division without a problem. Once he's there though, he's probably going to walk around at 240 or 250, then he'd have to lose 50 lbs to fight at LHW.
     Reply #77 - May 03, 2013, 11:04 AM

Dunno tbh. I've not been following Weidman. I'd hardly even heard of him before this Silva fight. But I suppose he must be half decent if he's getting a title shot. Silva has faced wrestlers before though, and dealt with them. I can't see Weidman presenting anything new.

Reply #78 - May 27, 2013, 03:38 PM

I 001_wub this chicks videos

Boxing: The Fire
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpR06sQvvw4
    A highlight video featuring boxers Ana Julaton, Ava Knight and Kaliesha West. All three women seek to find their place within the boxing realm, fighting for equality at the professional level. Women boxers struggle to get televised matches and suitable prize money, and many boxing promoters refuse to support fights between female boxers.

Fueled by their passion and love for the sport, they continue to strive to change history for women in boxing despite the never-ending struggles they face to achieve recognition and inclusion from their peers.

I'm a sucker for it. Makes me go all mushy.

• Re: MMA (Mixed Martial Arts)
     Reply #79 - July 01, 2013, 02:15 PM

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit's..... TIME! for an MMA thread.

Any fans here? I'm pretty sure there are few. Any favourite fighters? Any favourite fights? Any favourite styles? Any dream match-ups?

I tend to like fighters who are not generic.  My main ones might be Joe Lauzon and Machida.  I like defensive techniques like sweeps from the bottom, bobs and weaves, and deflective blocks paired with counters.  Am I the only one who's really not into superfights?  It seems to me that the only one who's always in favour is the fighter in the higher weight class.  Unless the lower class fighter does it on a voluntary non pressured basis, it doesn't really appeal to me. 

My only concern would be if I'm too old to start it though.

Lots of people take martial arts classes since their little kids.

By the time I graduate i'll be like around 22 years old. Is that too old to start ? 

Nopes.  Not even close to being too old actually.

I respect him as an athelete and for what he's done for the popularity of the sport, but he's never been the most exciting fighter. You know what you're gonna get with St-Pierre. It's gonna go the distance, it's gonna go to a decision, St-Pierre is gonna win it on takedowns/GnP.

It was a fair win for St-Pierre on Saturday night though. Diaz was just flat and slow. Almost as though he wasn't interested. I wonder if he's been hit a few too many times, or just doesn't have the fire in his belly anymore. He wasn't the fighter we've seen in the past.

The co-main event was an incredible fight though, Condit vs. Hendricks. Easily the best fight of the year so far. Completely stole the show from the main event. Great display of MMA from two fantastic fighters in their prime and a great show of sportsmanship too. Condit is always an exciting fighter to watch, great precision, speed, power and finesse with his Muay Tai. Hendricks, one of the best wrestlers out there, hits like a sledgehammer. Condit must have a chin of iron because he soaked up some bombs from Hendricks. Hendricks even damaged his hand.

I'm not sure if I agree with the decision though. I think Condit did more impressive work than Hendricks. I don't think a takedown alone should score. It means that any reasonably competent wrestler can score easy points, for doing nothing more than changing the position of the fight. If it was a takedown and landing in a good offensive position and they did some more actual work once on the ground, sure, it should be a point. But a takedown alone? It's not a wrestling match. Some fighters excel on the ground. They shouldn't lose out to points just for being moved to the ground a few times. Oh well. Thems the rules I guess.

I think gsp lost more than his belt after the first serra fight.  He's a different fighter now with financial aspirations and a severe risk aversion.  In order for him to become exciting again he'll either need to hit a mental switch, or face opponents with a weaker bottom game.

Anyone here taking any MMA classes ? or planning on taking some ?

Jiu jitsu and kickboxing.
     Reply #80 - July 02, 2013, 05:30 PM

Am I the only one who's really not into superfights?  It seems to me that the only one who's always in favour is the fighter in the higher weight class.  Unless the lower class fighter does it on a voluntary non pressured basis, it doesn't really appeal to me. 

Dunno, but I'd really like to see Silva vs. Jones. Probably more than any other fight I can think of. About the same as I'd like to see Ali vs. Tyson. I think it would be amongst the best fights in the history of fights.

Reply #81 - July 02, 2013, 05:55 PM

Speaking of Silva, it's UFC 162 this Saturday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4MOaypEKLE

Reply #82 - July 04, 2013, 01:25 PM

Hey Ishina, do you follow other combat sports as well, or just mma?
     Reply #83 - July 04, 2013, 01:35 PM

I watch boxing, but not as avidly as MMA. Last boxing I saw was the Bradley vs. Provodnikov fight. How's about you?

Reply #84 - July 04, 2013, 01:37 PM

Oh wait, I saw the Carl Froch fight a couple of months ago. That was the last one.

Reply #85 - July 04, 2013, 01:47 PM

Not really, I'm a bit out of the loop.  Every so often a big fight happens that I wasn't aware of.  Same thing with kickboxing too.
     Reply #86 - July 08, 2013, 04:18 AM

That was just...crazy  Shocked
     Reply #87 - July 08, 2013, 02:10 PM

Yeah. Still can't believe what I saw. Anderson Silva, the best pound for pound MMA fighter right now, arguably the greatest ever, just gave away his belt. It was bizarre. It looks like he's having a mental breakdown or something. Very uncomfortable to watch.

Reply #88 - July 08, 2013, 02:29 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPdBUwA2GQg

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #89 - July 08, 2013, 02:35 PM

He went in there to lose. What a massive disappointment. If he's burned out or wants something else from life, he can still go out fighting.

• Previous page 1 2 34 5 ... 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »