Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
April 16, 2024, 07:25 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: MMA (Mixed Martial Arts)

(Read 97187 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 4 ... 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • MMA (Mixed Martial Arts)
     Reply #30 - March 17, 2013, 03:11 AM

My only concern would be if I'm too old to start it though.

Lots of people take martial arts classes since their little kids.

By the time I graduate i'll be like around 22 years old. Is that too old to start ?

Cheesy oh my dear rebel, you are just a wee babe.  get your butt into a class now.  I started in my late 30's with absolutely no skills, now I can kick a 6'2" man in the temple with brute force, if I have to  Wink

if I can do it...so can you...so can anyone. 

never let age define you or limit you.  that is 80% of the battle in conquering "the self"...trust me.  remove the "age" lenses off your glasses right now.

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
     Reply #31 - March 17, 2013, 05:39 AM

^

i'd love to start now but I gotta focus most of my time school and extra curriculars.

I wanna get into a career in the financial industry and the competition is cut throat.

Need to bring out my inner nerd.   Geek

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #32 - March 17, 2013, 11:14 PM

By the time I graduate i'll be like around 22 years old. Is that too old to start ? 

Hell no. It's never too late to start. 22 certainly isn't. You're still a spring chicken.

The only reason it'd ever be too late is if you were approaching 30 and wanted a professional competition career, and even then there are late starters that have gone on to be successful. But as far as just doing it to get fit, self defence, build character, make friends and have fun: any age. There are even self defence classes out there especially for the elderly.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #33 - March 18, 2013, 12:54 PM

I am a big fan of MMA even though my preferred martial arts are Kickboxing and Boxing, I find the ilk of St Pierre boring.

Reply #34 - March 18, 2013, 11:31 PM

I am a big fan of MMA even though my preferred martial arts are Kickboxing and Boxing, I find the ilk of St Pierre boring.

I respect him as an athelete and for what he's done for the popularity of the sport, but he's never been the most exciting fighter. You know what you're gonna get with St-Pierre. It's gonna go the distance, it's gonna go to a decision, St-Pierre is gonna win it on takedowns/GnP.

It was a fair win for St-Pierre on Saturday night though. Diaz was just flat and slow. Almost as though he wasn't interested. I wonder if he's been hit a few too many times, or just doesn't have the fire in his belly anymore. He wasn't the fighter we've seen in the past.

The co-main event was an incredible fight though, Condit vs. Hendricks. Easily the best fight of the year so far. Completely stole the show from the main event. Great display of MMA from two fantastic fighters in their prime and a great show of sportsmanship too. Condit is always an exciting fighter to watch, great precision, speed, power and finesse with his Muay Tai. Hendricks, one of the best wrestlers out there, hits like a sledgehammer. Condit must have a chin of iron because he soaked up some bombs from Hendricks. Hendricks even damaged his hand.

I'm not sure if I agree with the decision though. I think Condit did more impressive work than Hendricks. I don't think a takedown alone should score. It means that any reasonably competent wrestler can score easy points, for doing nothing more than changing the position of the fight. If it was a takedown and landing in a good offensive position and they did some more actual work once on the ground, sure, it should be a point. But a takedown alone? It's not a wrestling match. Some fighters excel on the ground. They shouldn't lose out to points just for being moved to the ground a few times. Oh well. Thems the rules I guess.

Reply #35 - March 19, 2013, 12:31 AM

Some Carlos Condit highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RJF22Njeio

/drool

Reply #36 - March 19, 2013, 10:57 PM

Let's have some love for this Warrior Princess:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds7W199mh1s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SgdDN1xY-0

001_wub

Reply #37 - March 20, 2013, 02:15 AM

she is awesome...just hope her body isn't destroyed by age 12.  yikes.  that being said, her backward elbow strike is just so flipping cute.

Reply #38 - March 20, 2013, 03:59 PM

It's no more strenuous than boys rolling about in the garden, siblings play fighting, playing on climbing apparatus. It's just focused exercise and, by the looks of it, also coupled with sensible martial arts work ethic and philosophy.

It didn't hurt Brandon Lee (pbuh):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fufYgrgIXg

Reply #39 - March 20, 2013, 04:03 PM

Or Ronda Rousey:

Reply #40 - March 20, 2013, 06:54 PM

true dat

just saying that she hits the mat pretty hard in some of those pushups.  she still has the joints of a four year old.  as long as she is the one driving herself to do it and not her dad so much, then fine.  so when she is 18 and has no more feeling in her shins, her dad can just say "hey you wanted to do this!"  LOL

she sure is cute as hell though

Reply #41 - March 20, 2013, 10:19 PM

Nah, she's on her toes, not her shins.

Reply #42 - March 20, 2013, 10:47 PM

oh I wasnt referring to her pushups when I brought up the shins...was a just general statement about nerve damage that can occur after years of martial arts and getting the shit kicked out of your legs for so many years, sparring, fighting, etc.  any place on the body that receives continual blows is fair game.   Smiley

Reply #43 - March 20, 2013, 11:52 PM

Oh, sure. But a kid tapping pads is a bit different from two adults literally kicking and punching each other for several hours a week.

I think it's great for the kid. Such an awesome dad. In a world of childhood obesity, he should be commended for getting his kids active and interested in martial arts. And she's clearly having fun.

Reply #44 - March 22, 2013, 12:52 AM

Just watched the Tim Bradley vs. Ruslan Provodnikov fight that happened at the weekend. What a fantastic fight. One of the best boxing matches I've seen in ages. Proper old school battle. I have no idea how either of them were still standing at the end. Incredible display of heart and steel, and sportsmanship too. One of those fights where it didn't even matter who won. Both got cheered like they were champions at the end.

Reply #45 - March 22, 2013, 03:05 AM

Ishina, you are making me wish I had cable.  shush now!

Reply #46 - March 22, 2013, 01:23 PM

Too old?, here i am thinking of joining martial arts classes most likely when i hit 30 soon Grin

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #47 - April 03, 2013, 06:14 PM

Another exciting fighter, Brandon Thatch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mBsDT-0NJw

"Take those butterflys and make sure they are flying in formation." I love that.

Unblemished record apart from one split-decision loss. Talented fighter. Clean, precision Muai Tai. Smart takedowns. Excellent control on the ground. Great manner, attitude and work ethic.

I mean look at this, he doesn't even get touched here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JRJOKRDNC0

Just picks him apart. He needs to be fighting in a big organisation. Needs to get recognition.

Reply #48 - April 03, 2013, 06:19 PM

Mate I'm turning 40 next birthday. I'm like double your age and my flexibility is crap.
    This week I'm starting out here for classes: http://www.oama.ca/home.php?site=mma#

-------------------
    Believe in yourself
    -------------------
    Strike me down and I'll just become another nail in your coffin
    -------------------
    There's such a thing as sheep in wolfs clothing... religious fanatics
     Reply #49 - April 03, 2013, 06:27 PM

That's awesome. Have you done anything like it before?

Reply #50 - April 03, 2013, 06:38 PM

I did Krav Maga a few years back Ishina and really liked it.Very practical and direct. It was developed for the Israeli military and I believe its used by some police forces and special forces units too.

-------------------
    Believe in yourself
    -------------------
    -------------------
     Reply #51 - April 03, 2013, 11:04 PM

You'll fit right into an MMA class then. Krav Maga is a mixed martial art/self-defence I think?

Not that I've ever been to an MMA class, but I assume there will be more sparring/endurance/cardio. Anyone can benefit from that no matter what age.

Reply #52 - April 03, 2013, 11:29 PM

Good luck with it Pepe, I hope that school is a good fit for you!  I personally love Muay Thai.

Reply #53 - April 03, 2013, 11:38 PM

I know she's no longer fighting, but an MMA thread doesn't feel right without some Gina Carano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clRFrtblZlk

She'll always be the Queen of MMA to me. The original. The pioneer. The trailblazer. My first female martial arts idol. Clean, hard-working fighter, the embodiment of sportsmanship (sportswomenship?) who built up the reputation of Women's MMA.

It was a big loss to WMMA when she stopped fighting, but I honestly don't blame her. Women just don't earn nearly the same amount of money as men in the sport. That's changing for the better (with the unstoppable force of Ronda Rousey being an incredibly savvy self-promoter and becoming a massively bankable star), but what would you do? Train hard all year round with a punishing schedule, to fight for a few grand here and there, or break into movies, rub shoulders with Michael Fassbender and Ewan McGregor, and earn hundreds of thousands of dollars for a few months work?

Reply #54 - April 03, 2013, 11:50 PM

001_wub

Reply #55 - April 04, 2013, 01:27 AM

damn she's hot

Reply #56 - April 04, 2013, 01:29 AM

Phwoaaarrrrrr! Wink

-------------------
    Believe in yourself
    -------------------
    -------------------
     Reply #57 - April 05, 2013, 05:20 PM

^

What's ur opinion of this Penn and Teller episode that calls martial arts "bullshit" ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcbe3Ao0ThU

Reply #58 - April 05, 2013, 05:43 PM

I think it's a bullshit strawman of martial arts.

Reply #59 - April 06, 2013, 02:44 AM

^
    That's what I thought.  And the old lady thing wasn't even a martial art !

While I was watching that I was thinking but professional martial artists do it as a sport. So calling Martial Arts bullshit would mean you'd also have to call all sports bullshit.

And it ignores the fact that it's a good way to stay fit and keep exercising.

And the self defense is an added bonus.  Because I'm pretty sure if a guy who wasn't trained in martial arts tried to attack a guy who knew MMA the attacker would get beat up.

• Previous page 1 23 4 ... 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »