Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: MMA (Mixed Martial Arts)

(Read 97075 times)
  • 12 3 ... 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • MMA (Mixed Martial Arts)
     OP - March 12, 2013, 10:48 PM

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit's..... TIME! for an MMA thread.

Any fans here? I'm pretty sure there are few. Any favourite fighters? Any favourite fights? Any favourite styles? Any dream match-ups? Anyone excited about the St. Pierre vs. Diaz fight this weekend? Any ideas who Ronda Rousey is gonna add to her arm collection next?

Here's a few fighters who are fighting now that I'm most excited about:

Anderson Silva – What can be said that hasn't already been said? There is no suitable adjective in the world that hasn't already been spoken again and again when describing this warrior. He's an absolute beast. He's so good he's scary. Vicious but calculated brutality. Intelligent, creative and unpredictable, sometimes even playful. His taunts, feints, dodging and weaving, unorthodox surprises, are as exciting as watching Muhammed Ali in his prime playing to the crowd, to me. I mean, is this the fucking Matrix or what:

Undeniably one of the greatest pound-for-pound fighters to enter a ring. I am so grateful that he fought in my lifetime and that he is still fighting now.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rbG84kVD4Q

Ronda Rousey – I'm so on board the Rousey bandwagon. I'm absolutely smitten. She's just so damn hot. Honest, passionate and exciting outside of the cage. Completely untouchable inside it. Sexy and deadly. World class. Her judo is like poetry to me. The problem now is finding a fighter for her to fight. She's burning through contenders, first round armbar each time, bitches. And she was pretty much unknown a couple of years ago. She's done so much in that time for women's MMA and women's visibility in combat sports. I'm still taking it in. First woman to sign to UFC. First ever women's fight in the UFC (credit to Carmouche too, another solid and hard-working female fighter). First women to headline UFC. More importantly, first women's UFC champion. She's becoming one of the biggest draws in MMA. Everyone wants a piece of her. And I love the fact that the haters and naysayers are so fucking furious about it. Their tears taste delicious. And fuck anyone who says her fights are boring. What the fuck do you want her to do, pretend to lose so they last longer? Shit's ridiculous.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf-eNVAeC0U

Jon Jones –  Shaping up to be one of the best all-round fighters, like, ever. He's on another level. The guy is a freak of nature. A born fighter. A champion slayer. Making veterans look like amateurs. Hardly been hurt at all despite being in the cage with some formidable opponents. And his career has really only just begun. He can only get better and more complete. He's already got a brutal stand up game. Already an accomplished Greco-Roman wrestler (which I think is beautiful when executed by someone skilled). Brilliant, intelligent martial artist. I'm a total shameless fangurl. I'm bursting with excitement about his next fight, and the next, and the next. Cool, smart and funny. Just a really nice guy. And it doesn't hurt that he's pretty too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKirYWR1sp0

George St-Pierre – Another obvious choice. But you just can't deny it, this guy is a total class act. A great ambassador for the sport. So calm, collected, mature, respectful and humble. I respect him so much for the man he is and the fighter he is. Amazing athlete, just from a sheer physical specimen perspective. He's sculpted like a Greek god and moves like a gladiator. His grappling, takedowns, endurance and strength make compulsive viewing. He works damn hard and he can lay down some fearsome beatings. What I just don't get is how it's kinda become cool to hate on him. Why?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP4vpIGNC3A

Nick Diaz – Every story needs a villain. Never gonna be the most popular fighter due to his polarising nature and attitude. He's very much punk rock. Very much Marmite, you either love him or hate him. I fucking love him. Never a dull moment in or out of the cage. He loves to fight. Loves to get hit. Loves to get dirty and bloody. Absolutely fearless. His boxing is beautiful. He's a better boxer than a lot of actual boxers fighting right now. And he has a great ground game. His Gracie jiu-jitsu is gorgeous. When he gets chance to use it, it's some of the most excellently executed jiu-jitsu I've seen in the cage. He's the guy I like to watch train almost as much as I like to watch fight. He doesn't give a shit. He doesn't cowtow. He doesn't play the publicity game like a good boy. He says what he thinks, when he wants. And in doing that, inadvertently makes for great publicity. There is such a buzz in the run up to a Diaz fight.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOqxWX8aBXo

Lyoto Machida – I really don't understand the criticism this guy gets. I mean, I do understand most of it, it's because a lot of people just wanna see a bloody slugging match and an evasive game isn't as superficially exciting. But to me, he has one of the most fascinating defensive/counter games in the sport. It's good to see different martial arts in MMA. It's good to have unique characters bringing their own style that distinguishes them. It's good to see a fighter evolve. His style now is so much more advanced than it was. What I love most about him though is that he has that old school samurai warrior vibe. That nobility, dignity and honour. Bushido. It's like he carries the traditions of Japan into the Western, capitalist circus of the Octagon. He's had a couple of losses. But he gets back up. Fall seven times, rise eight times. That is the way of the warrior.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvMokTFYPoI

Urijah Faber – I love this guy. He's a little ball of dynamite. High on life. He's got so much charisma and likeability. Bags of heart. Oozes energy and good vibes. So upbeat and enjoys every minute of it. A cool Californian dude. I wanna party with him. And an incredibly open and honest attitude outside of the ring. A solid fighter too. An honest, clean, hard working fighter. He's done a hell of a lot for the popularity of the lighter divisions. Goes to show that it isn't all about the bigger weight divisions. There are some really exciting fighters in the lighter divisions too and its a shame they often get overlooked.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yayzZ5ioxVI

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #1 - March 13, 2013, 08:02 PM

Countdown to UFC 158: St-Pierre vs. Diaz
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKhZhRyNubQ

dance

Reply #2 - March 14, 2013, 09:18 AM

I'll just schtick meself to good ole ping&pong, no voilences for me, my moms forbids, good thread tho'

and oh those matrix-esq de silva is impressive, good ole adrenaline rush slo mo.
     Reply #3 - March 14, 2013, 11:24 AM

Here's a couple more:

Here's a fantastic kick by Anthony Pettis:

And just for laughs:

Reply #4 - March 14, 2013, 11:33 AM

I wonder if its difficult to follow the action live in the arena because of the cage obstructing vision

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #5 - March 14, 2013, 11:58 AM

heh heh heh

that last kick.  omg.  pure gold.

i will dig up some old school stuff when i get a chance.  i am really into watching old school 80's savate fights at the moment.  color me strange.

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
     Reply #6 - March 14, 2013, 02:17 PM

I wonder if its difficult to follow the action live in the arena because of the cage obstructing vision

Nah, it's pretty transparent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPjzEcsdkME

It's kinda like sitting behind the goal in football. It's also relatively small venues and crowds.

Reply #7 - March 14, 2013, 02:40 PM

so this is the real deal.. this is pretty intense..
     Reply #8 - March 14, 2013, 02:47 PM

Nah, it's pretty transparent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPjzEcsdkME

It's kinda like sitting behind the goal in football. It's also relatively small venues and crowds.

Have you attended one?

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #9 - March 14, 2013, 02:58 PM

Yeah, went to UFC when it was in Manchester one year, plus some amateur fights. Great experience, but there is only so much you can see from a fixed position. I'd rather watch it PPV.

Reply #10 - March 16, 2013, 09:48 AM

I am so pumped for the fight tonight. It's like Rocky vs. Ivan Drago. St-Pierre, the favourite, phenomenal athlete, international superstar, loaded, with his team of coaches and hi-tech pampering. Diaz, a lot of heart, rough-arse street boy, looking like he's just come in from a bar fight somewhere, training with his bro and mates and old Perez. Both of them want it. I can't call it. My heart says Diaz but my head says 50-50. Either way, it's a collision of raw elements and epic proportions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWCWwSWeiTA

The co-main event is gonna be explosive too, Condit vs. Hendricks. I like Condit. Sexy kickboxer. Really clean, precise and powerful striker.

Reply #11 - March 16, 2013, 03:21 PM

even if you're not into Savate, you can still appreciate this fight.  Le Duigou gets both his arms broken early in the match against Ishima and STILL ends up winning in the end.  I love Savate because it trains you how to use your legs just like another set of arms....so when you can't punch someone....just bring on the legs and get to kicking!!!  LOL.  Not sure why I took to this M.A. like I did, but it completely entrances me.  Love it.  Maybe I am a old, reincarnated drunk French sailor or something.  Here the vid I promised.  The real thunder starts at 7:57.  Enjoy.   Cat fight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0O67y_klrA

Reply #12 - March 16, 2013, 03:51 PM

Anyone here taking any MMA classes ? or planning on taking some ?

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #13 - March 16, 2013, 04:21 PM

even if you're not into Savate, you can still appreciate this fight. 

I can appreciate any martial art. I've only really heard about Savate through name only. I thought it was French kickboxing or something. But it looks more like Taekwondo/Wing Chun + boxing to my untrained eye. It looks great. Wearing shoes is just batnuts crazy though. Do you wear them when training?

Reply #14 - March 16, 2013, 04:26 PM

Yup.  Jeet Kune Do is my main course of study right now, but currently it's heavily focused on the techniques of Savate, Muay Thai and Jun Fan Gung Fu.  Been wanting to learn Eskrima for the longest.  That is next on my list....oh, and Silat too.

I'm a M.A. junkie.

Reply #15 - March 16, 2013, 04:26 PM

Anyone here taking any MMA classes ? or planning on taking some ?

Dunno, but I'll be looking for a new dojo soon because our instructor is retiring. I'm not sure how much merit there is in an 'MMA' class, though. I'd rather study an art and then study a complimentary art. Professional MMA fighters invariably have a base art which they have added to to make it work all-round. Usually have a solid competition record in that base art and have then complimented that with whatever to fill in the weaknesses before stepping in a cage. I suppose an MMA class would be great for general self defence for a more casual approach.

I'm seriously considering Jeet Kune Do though, which is essentially a fluid, evolving, mixed martial art. Plus it looks great with Ju Jitsu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E9tfe_tqas

Looks like so much fun.

Reply #16 - March 16, 2013, 04:27 PM

ha ha Ishina....nope, I still gotta wait a while before the boots.  my Sensei forbids them.  she says we have to feel everything with the naked foot first.

Reply #17 - March 16, 2013, 04:30 PM

Ishina...Jeet Kune Do is incredible.  I learn from a teacher who trained through the Inosanto lineage.  just fantastic stuff, can't say enough about it. 

Reply #18 - March 16, 2013, 04:33 PM

ha ha Ishina....nope, I still gotta wait a while before the boots.  my Sensei forbids them.  she says we have to feel everything with the naked foot first.

Not surprised. Shoes are like having foot weapons.

Reply #19 - March 16, 2013, 04:40 PM

Ishina...Jeet Kune Do is incredible.  I learn from a teacher who trained through the Inosanto lineage.  just fantastic stuff, can't say enough about it. 

Yeah, there's a couple of really good JKD dojos near me. I'm currently dojo shopping, doing trials and whatnot, see where I fit. Time's ticking away, but I really don't know where to go from here. I recently got my first dan in Jujitsu, but this dojo only has a few months left. Most of the guys there are going on to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, which I'm seriously tempted by because what I've learned already is more or less a direct similarity. But I also like stand up sparring, which there really isn't much of in Jujitsu. Me and the fiance or a few friends just rent out a mat at the leisure center for a couple of hours and freestyle it if we ever fancy a spar. It'd be nice to learn a kickboxing art or a Wing Chun/JKD type art professionally.

Reply #20 - March 16, 2013, 04:51 PM

I love this Invicta promo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89fbah26DeQ

Invicta is gonna be so fucking amazing for women's MMA. It's a really exciting time for the sport.

Reply #21 - March 16, 2013, 05:54 PM

Ishina, I think it's good for you to learn some stand up M.A. at this point, it will balance everything out.  Good luck on your quest.  I know finding good, GROUNDED instructors can be very hard....but when you do find them, it's like striking gold.  They can really change your life.

Reply #22 - March 16, 2013, 06:25 PM

I'll probably start taking MMA classes after I've graduated.

Mainly to learn some self defense and stay active.

Reply #23 - March 16, 2013, 07:22 PM

Ishina, I think it's good for you to learn some stand up M.A. at this point, it will balance everything out.  Good luck on your quest.  I know finding good, GROUNDED instructors can be very hard....but when you do find them, it's like striking gold.  They can really change your life.

Absolutely. My instructor has been something of a father figure for me. Not just a martial arts teacher, but a life coach and someone who I consider family. At the very least, a great friend and confidant.

When I first met him it was in an Aikido class. He was the assistant instructor. I was just a mouthy council estate kid angry at the world, into all kinds of bad shit, part way through a self destruct cycle. If it wasn't for him, I'd probably be in prison or in the gutter somewhere now. Or in the morgue. He really reached out to me, gave me a chance when nobody else had. From the start I always felt like he 'got' me, and from then on I just didn't want to let him down. He managed to bring out whatever goodness was in my fucked up little heart. And he didn't take any shit from me, put me straight in my place, broke down that adolescent front with tough love. Martial arts gave me an avenue to channel that anger and exorcise my demons. And I know I'm still no angel. I still have a mouth on me. I still come across as a bitch. I'm a work in progress.

I followed him like a lost puppy from that Aikido class to when he set up his own Jujitsu dojo. He gave me my first gi, used to pick me up and drive me every week, has been there through all my grading all the way to black. Every single one of my belts has been passed from his hand to mine. The only other consistent presence in my life has been my own mother and a handful of my friends. It's gonna be hard to replace that and that makes me sad. It's like the end of an era. But I am also looking forward to the challenge. Flying the nest and testing my wings. I feel good about it.

Reply #24 - March 16, 2013, 07:28 PM

I'll probably start taking MMA classes after I've graduated.

Mainly to learn some self defense and stay active.

I can't recommend it enough. Honestly, the practical payoff is so worth it. Not just to become skilled in a combat art and get fit, but to become a better person. Acquire self confidence and discipline. Conquer yourself. Forge lasting friendships. And above all else, have fun doing it.

Reply #25 - March 16, 2013, 07:42 PM

Only a few hours to go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di4DvSxuS5s

WAR DIAZ

Reply #26 - March 16, 2013, 08:02 PM

I can't recommend it enough. Honestly, the practical payoff is so worth it. Not just to become skilled in a combat art and get fit, but to become a better person. Acquire self confidence and discipline. Conquer yourself. Forge lasting friendships. And above all else, have fun doing it.

My only concern would be if I'm too old to start it though.

Lots of people take martial arts classes since their little kids.

By the time I graduate i'll be like around 22 years old. Is that too old to start ? 

Reply #27 - March 16, 2013, 09:36 PM

I did Bando (Burmese kick boxing, similar to mui thai) when I was a teenager. It can fully engulf you. I got to a brown belt level, but that was many years ago. You should do it TDR.   
     http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bando
     Reply #28 - March 16, 2013, 11:04 PM

That sounds cool. grin12

But I don't want to dedicate myself to working on a specific martial art. I don't wanna fight professionaly or become a black belt or anything...

I just wanna pick something like Krav Maga or MMA so that I can learn how to defend myself and to keep on exercising.

Reply #29 - March 16, 2013, 11:06 PM

I did Bando (Burmese kick boxing, similar to mui thai) when I was a teenager. It can fully engulf you. I got to a brown belt level, but that was many years ago. You should do it TDR.   
     http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bando

you should consider picking it up again if you already got all the way to brown belt.

Black belt in martial arts is an awesome achievement.

• 12 3 ... 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »