Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 28, 2024, 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 12:17 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: screening and discussion of 'Banaz: A Love Story' in London

(Read 5094 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • screening and discussion of 'Banaz: A Love Story' in London
     OP - February 19, 2013, 07:31 AM

If interested in attending please reserve in advance by contacting:

katie@freewordonline.com

+++++++

Banaz: A Love Story

Part of the Freedom on Film series.

Presented by ARTICLE 19, Free Word and Fuuse.
    Wed 6 Mar 2013, 6:30pm
    Free Word Lecture Theatre

Free Word invites you to a screening of Banaz: A Love Story,  in collaboration with ARTICLE 19 and Fuuse.

The screening is part of our ‘Freedom on Film’ series, exploring freedom of expression through film.

Banaz: A Love Story is a documentary that examines honour killings in the UK through the story of Banaz Mahmod, who was murdered by her own family in 2006.

It was a case that shocked the world and received international press coverage; but until the film, the voice of Banaz herself had never been heard.

“An excellent film... a powerful indictment of the misogynistic control that menaces some communities, and the misplaced cultural sensitivity that allows it to go unchallenged.” - The Observer

Directed by international music artist and activist-turned-filmmaker Deeyah, the film was first aired in the UK in the autumn of last year.

Join us at Free Word to watch the film, then listen and interact with a panel discussion about some of the difficult issues it raises, including honour based violence, the place of the female voice within minority communities in multicultural society and the tension between fundamental human rights for the individual and the rights of a community.

http://www.freewordonline.com/events/detail/banaz-a-love-story
     Reply #1 - March 23, 2013, 04:55 PM

By the way, excellent article about the maker of this film here: The Cowardice of the Liberal Press

Due to Standpoint's strict terms of use, I wont quote the whole article here, but it's worth reading.

Imagine if white racists in Norway or Britain had targeted Deepika Thathaal, the former pop singer who has recently made her first feminist documentary, Banaz: An Honour Killing, which was shown on ITV1 at the end of October. As a brilliant and beautiful 17-year-old she had mixed the influences of the Asian music her immigrant parents knew with the sounds of Massive Attack and Portishead to become one of Norway's first Asian stars.

Her opponents dialled her parents' home and bellowed out poisonous threats. They burst into her classroom and screamed that she was "a slut, a whore, a prostitute". They attacked her on the street and stormed the stage during a concert in Oslo. She moved to London and relaunched herself as Deeyah, "the Muslim Madonna". With a touching naivety, she thought that Britain would be a safer country to work in than Norway. (She had visited as a child and been impressed to see Asian women outdoors in Western dresses without men attacking them.)

One thought disturbed her reverie: "Why do I have this market all to myself? Why am I the only Muslim woman on the scene?"

She soon found out. She was forced to hire bodyguards. She was spat at in the street and warned that she would be cut into pieces. Deeyah could not take it. She and her liberal parents were living in fear. She announced that she was giving up on her dream of being a star, and fleeing the horrors of Europe in 2007 to find sanctuary in America.

I am not being fanciful if I imagine that had her tormentors been Norwegian neo-Nazis or the BNP, Deeyah would have become an anti-racist hero: a Muslim Stephen Lawrence. Artists would make her struggle against prejudice their struggle. Politicians would invite her to Westminster and the European Parliament. The BBC would see to it that she was never off air. Liberal society would embrace her and define itself by its response to prejudice and violence.

Read the whole thing. Afro

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #2 - July 18, 2013, 12:14 AM

First time hearing about this, thanks for posting. Always been baffled by how if you want to criticise the BNP for being bigoted nutjobs that's fine, but if you want to criticise someone who happens to belong to a minority as bigoted nutjobs that makes you a bigot. Crazy.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #3 - July 18, 2013, 01:18 AM

Thanks for digging this up, Quod. I'd missed it.

(May I call you Quod, or do you prefer Mr Eris?)
     Reply #4 - July 18, 2013, 04:13 AM

Sir will be just fine.  Cool

Haha whatever you like mate. This actually happened a little before I started reading the paper and watching the news on a regular basis, I vaguely remember hearing about the film but never watched it and forgot about it until now. Feel slightly ashamed of that. Lot of brave women out there, nothing but respect.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     Reply #5 - April 12, 2014, 09:12 AM

This video was posted on YouTube last July but I've only just watched it. I don't think this link was posted on this forum. Very poignant film. :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VepuyvhHYdM

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #6 - April 12, 2014, 09:35 AM

This video was posted on YouTube last July but I've only just watched it. I don't think this link was posted on this forum. Very poignant film. :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VepuyvhHYdM

Thanks for that movie tube link ateapotist

Emmy Award 2013 –  Best International Current Affairs Film.

Peabody Award Winner 2013

British Royal Television Society Awards 2013 - Best Documentary, Current Affairs (nomination)

That movie  rips my  heart out of me..  I hope many women/girls who are in that situation speaks out to some one some public officials .....  Thank you again for that llink ateapotist

with best wishes
    yeezevee

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #7 - April 12, 2014, 10:05 AM

That's why we take threats of violence from family members very seriously. It's better for a young woman to run away from home and live in a secret shelter for a little while than to be dead!

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #8 - April 12, 2014, 02:37 PM

Cry

Reply #9 - April 12, 2014, 02:41 PM

This made me very sad, but also hopeful that we can rid ourselves from cultural relativism when discussing these matters. It broke my heart to see Fadime and Pela in the tribute at the end of the video, they were from Sweden. Fadime wasvery outspoken about honor culture and was the first person to really bring the matter up to discussion. She is a hero, really. Pela was murdered by her father and uncle in Iraq. Her sister is now living under protection because she testified against her family in the trial. I think her father is in jail, but the uncle is still hiding in Iraq.  Cry

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #10 - April 12, 2014, 04:25 PM

O dear this is such a heartbreaking reality  Cry
    But yes it is good that it is being spoken about out loud

"I Knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then." Alice in wonderland

"This is the only heaven we have how dare you make it a hell" Dr Marlene Winell
     Reply #11 - April 12, 2014, 04:45 PM

My thoughts exactly. Sweeping it under the rug just causes harm and fixes nothing. Drag it out into the light for all to see.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »