Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Honour

(Read 1632 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Honour
     OP - February 08, 2013, 01:56 PM

Thought provoking article

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/the-northerner/2013/feb/07/child-sexual-abuse-izzat-honour?CMP=EMCSOCEML657

Sara Khan's family emigrated from Pakistan to Bradford. As a child, Sara was sexually abused by an uncle. As she hit puberty, she was abused again by a different uncle. At the age of 14 Sara finally found the courage to tell. But her family did not pull her closer and protect her. Instead, they beat her, for bringing shame to the family.

Child sexual abuse within the UK's Asian community is believed to be under-reported; a catalogue of suffering hidden beneath a veil of secrecy. At the heart of this secrecy is the concept of 'izzat', or honour, which protects a family from isolation. Within south Asian culture, community is everything. "We don't want to bring a bad name," says Sara. "We don't want anyone, neighbours or anyone to bad mouth [us]."

Izzat is a difficult concept to understand. The women in a family carry izzat like an urn. When they marry, their izzat passes to the new family. Without izzat, a family's standing in a community is destroyed preventing marriage of eligible offspring, even years later.

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
  • Honour
     Reply #1 - February 08, 2013, 02:18 PM

Izzat is one of the most messed up aspects of asian culture. The damage it does mentally and physically to women is appalling. It is one of the things that makes me embarrased to be associated with my heritage. The whole problem also hides the criminals that will be protected because otherwise the reputation of family is destroyed.

I managed to set it clear to my family that I will not tolerate this business of Izzat, and I will be my own man and do not care how others judge me. It is ingrained in deep in to the whole culture, so it is very difficult to get rid. Though I do see it easing down in the next few generations.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »