Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
April 16, 2024, 07:25 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: New site default theme (about friggin' time).

(Read 46051 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 3 4 56 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • New site default theme (about friggin' time).
     Reply #120 - February 16, 2013, 05:37 AM

I don't see any option to edit posts on this theme. Where's the edit button?
     Reply #121 - February 16, 2013, 01:12 PM

What about the number of posts and number of views ? Left out deliberately or ?

Also wouldn´t it be possible to indicate when a thread has been started (date) ?

Like a compass needle that points north, a man?s accusing finger always finds a woman. Always.

Khaled Hosseini - A thousand splendid suns.
     Reply #122 - February 16, 2013, 02:25 PM

^  They have been deliberately moved out of the way by Os.  You can still see the views and replies via a tooltip if you hover your mouse pointer over the thread title.

Also, the post count for each user can be seen via a pop-up box which will appear if you click on someone's username.  If you want to go to their profile click on their avatar.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #123 - February 16, 2013, 02:53 PM

Oi! You phone peeps! We haz a quandary.

Allat wants the sidebar stuffz (shoutbox, recent posts, etc) like the old phone theme > overlapping the main forum content when expanded.

Luthiel wants it more or less like is is now (ie: full width block) but above the site logo rather than under the linktree.

Me? I don't care, as long as everyone agrees. If you want input, now's the time for it. Biggest mob wins. bunny

ETA: Oh and for anyone who still doesn't get it, you can still collapse or expand it the same way as you did on the old phone theme > by clicking the link in the bar at the top of the screen. It says "Hide sidebar" if the sidebar stuffz is visible, and it says "Show sidebar" if the sidebar stuffz is hidden.

It will remember what you select.

I see you have gone with allat's idea.  I actually prefer that one too.  It's all looking much better now. I still think there's too much space around links and elsewhere.  I will post screenies later.  Also, the links at the very bottom of the page take far too much space, but at least they are at the very bottom where nobody scrolls to.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #124 - February 16, 2013, 07:13 PM

The overlapping sidebar looks and works great os, nice job.

As others have said, spacing can sometimes be a problem. One spot in particular I've noticed is the unread posts page. Here's a screengrab of how spaced out everything is. Seems to be like this only on that page though.

Ok when I tried to upload the screenie I found the additional options bar plus the stuff under it is overflowing to the right. Took a cap of that too. However, clicking on the bar works nicely now Afro

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself
    - 32nd United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt
  • Re: New site default theme (about friggin' time).
     Reply #125 - February 16, 2013, 08:26 PM

If I try to scroll any long quote it moves sideways rather than stay in one place for me to read the whole thing.

Ok, this one looks like a Blackberry bug with handling stuff you probably don't want to know about.

Have tweaked code. Cato has checked it. Works now. Afro

I don't see any option to edit posts on this theme. Where's the edit button?

Umm, that would be the button that says "Quick edit". The one that is right next to "Quote".  grin12

If you want the full edit options with dancing koalas n stuff, right next to the "Quick Edit" button is a button that says "More". I have no idea what happens if you click a button that says "More"* but there is a faint possibility that there might be more stuff there. parrot

What about the number of posts and number of views ? Left out deliberately or ?

Stuck them in a tooltip off the thread title. I've never cared about them in six or seven years of using forums. Getting rid of them gives more flexibility for screen size and looks cleaner, but if most people want them back I can do that.

Also wouldn´t it be possible to indicate when a thread has been started (date) ?

Sure, it's possible. Does it matter though? You have the last post date, so you already know when the thread was active. Again, if most people want it I can add it back in.

I still think there's too much space around links and elsewhere.  I will post screenies later.  Also, the links at the very bottom of the page take far too much space, but at least they are at the very bottom where nobody scrolls to.

Spacings are easy to change.

*Note about any button that has drop menus under it (can be ignored): although a basic left click opens the drop menu, you can still use the right click > open in new tab option on the buttons too. Not something that most users are likely to do, but I find it handy sometimes. All buttons do have valid url's attached to them, and for droppy buttons that url is the same as the first item in the droppy.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #126 - February 16, 2013, 08:39 PM

As others have said, spacing can sometimes be a problem. One spot in particular I've noticed is the unread posts page. Here's a screengrab of how spaced out everything is. Seems to be like this only on that page though.

That page runs the same basic code as all the other topic listings. Have you cleared cache recently?

Should look like this:

Reply #127 - February 16, 2013, 09:23 PM

Cleared cache, still looks the same.

Reply #128 - February 16, 2013, 09:28 PM

K so unread posts is borked, but standard topic index is ok, and unread replies is ok?

Reply #129 - February 16, 2013, 09:42 PM

Ah, well no, looks like it's the same everywhere. Seems to be like that when there are multiple pages.

Reply #130 - February 16, 2013, 09:43 PM

All the pages on my phone are too spaced out. It looks like this:

'Let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.'

Join the chat!
     Reply #131 - February 16, 2013, 09:44 PM

Some other thoughts:

What would everyone think about adding floating links to the top and bottom, similar to the desktop version?

Also, what about changing the search in the top bar to save space? Does anyone use it? Would it be ok to just make it a link to the full search page?

Reply #132 - February 16, 2013, 09:46 PM

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing too, seren

Reply #133 - February 16, 2013, 09:54 PM

How's that now?

Reply #134 - February 16, 2013, 10:00 PM

You mean to try now? Still looks the same. And it's more spaced out than your screencap even without multiple pages:

Reply #135 - February 16, 2013, 10:25 PM

OK well those page numbers can't even display on mobile now:

/* The small pages indices for message index and unread topics. */
    span.topics_pages {
       /*float: right;*/display: none;
    }

So there's no way you should be able to see them.

And as for the ones without page numbers, it seems your phone is behaving completely different to any emulator I have access to, and bears no relation to W3 code standards.

Might have to rewrite that section of the template (which I can do, now that someone has actually bothered to demonstrate the problem).

Reply #136 - February 16, 2013, 10:31 PM

I cleared cache and I can still see the page numbers  wacko

The top and bottom buttons are great now  Afro

Reply #137 - February 16, 2013, 10:33 PM

Wait, I haz an idea...

Ok, I changed layout to mobile from the droppy and now it looks like your screenshot.

Reply #138 - February 16, 2013, 10:35 PM

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Ok. That gives me a clue. I'll look into that.

Reply #139 - February 16, 2013, 10:40 PM

K I know what I'm gonna do. I'll roll all the css into one for mobile (on the to-do list but not done yet) and change the conditionals so if a mobile is detected it only loads that stylesheet. That should sort the bugger.

Wont do it immediately but will tackle it tonight. Shouldn't be a big deal. Was going to do it anyway once the thing was basically working right. Will cut load times on mobile slightly.

Reply #140 - February 16, 2013, 10:48 PM

Ok cool, glad we got that one figured out. The top bar looks good now too.

Reply #141 - February 16, 2013, 10:57 PM

Hey I figured out something else. It should be ok now anyway, at least on those pages. There was a conflict between profile settings and the auto-load-for-phonez shiz. This is what I get for extending the multi theme idea further than anyone else has before, and not thinking of absolutely everything at once. grin12

I've changed those templates so the conflicts should be resolved. Will check the other templates tonight. Will also do the css stuff anyway, just to cut the number of http requests and the amount of css loaded on mobile.

Am getting offline now. Thunderstorms. Tongue Power just dropped out once. BBL.

Reply #142 - February 17, 2013, 02:04 AM

Umm, that would be the button that says "Quick edit". The one that is right next to "Quote".  grin12

If you want the full edit options with dancing koalas n stuff, right next to the "Quick Edit" button is a button that says "More". I have no idea what happens if you click a button that says "More"* but there is a faint possibility that there might be more stuff there. parrot

It seems like someone removed editing permissions for me specifically. I don't see the edit button on other themes either.
     Reply #143 - February 17, 2013, 04:14 AM

Staff fuckup. Fixed now. Smiley

Reply #144 - February 17, 2013, 04:36 AM

Also, the links at the very bottom of the page take far too much space, but at least they are at the very bottom where nobody scrolls to.

Hey thought: given that they're quite useful, general purpose links, and that people are used to having such things in the footer these days, I'm not sure it'd be a good idea to ditch them entirely.

What I can do (for mobile only) is just have the list heading visible (ie: Basic Information, General Resources, CEMB Organisation) with the links themselves in a slide-down-on-click list for each section. Not an overlapping drop menu. Just a push-down list under the heading (think accordion menu, if that makes more sense).

ETA: Done. I likey. grin12

Also, have ditched the "Home" button on mobile to keep the menu to one line. The site banner, in the header above the menu, links to the home page anyway.

Reply #145 - February 17, 2013, 12:39 PM

Where oh where have you hidden the search button ?

I don´t think all these hidden things are very user friendly. Sigh !

Like a compass needle that points north, a man?s accusing finger always finds a woman. Always.

Khaled Hosseini - A thousand splendid suns.
     Reply #146 - February 17, 2013, 01:17 PM

I think it's all looking much better now, Os. The unread posts page is working properly now except for the location of the 'new' icon/tag. See screenshot below.

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #147 - February 17, 2013, 08:24 PM

Yeah I moved it over there deliberately. The idea was to stop stuff breaking to an extra line, without truncating the title too much. It wont do this stuff any more V V

Can always change it again, of course. Smiley

Where oh where have you hidden the search button ?

Top right corner of the page, which is pretty much a standard place to find search thngies on any old web page.

I don´t think all these hidden things are very user friendly. Sigh !

Top right corner, being one of the most common locations for such a thing, is not exactly hidden IMO. Wink

As for the other stuff (number of replies, views, etc) it's not functionality, There's nothing you can do with it. It's just numbers that don't really give you much information. For instance, views will be affected by how many bots or lurkers have opened the topic. What are you going to do with that number anyway? How does it improve your experience?

I've never found it the slightest bit relevant, but like I said earlier, if most people want it back on display I can do that.

Reply #148 - February 17, 2013, 08:30 PM

Yeah I moved it over there deliberately. The idea was to stop stuff breaking to an extra line, without truncating the title too much. It wont do this stuff any more V V

(Clicky for piccy!)

Can always change it again, of course. Smiley

No, it's fine.  I just thought it was (unexpectedly) on top of something.

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #149 - February 17, 2013, 08:33 PM

Well it sorta is. I'm not 100% happy with that solution, but it's workable for the moment.

• Previous page 1 ... 3 4 56 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »