Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: New site default theme (about friggin' time).

(Read 46048 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 4 ... 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • New site default theme (about friggin' time).
     Reply #30 - February 08, 2013, 10:05 PM

Here are some before and after.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself
    - 32nd United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt
     Reply #31 - February 08, 2013, 10:10 PM

It should default to that automatically for Android. If it doesn't, I'll have to look at the detection code.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #32 - February 08, 2013, 10:12 PM

Nope, I have to switch back and forth every time I go from phone to computer. I was about to ask if there's some way you can have it detect Grin

Reply #33 - February 08, 2013, 10:13 PM

And from computer to phone, if that wasn't clear.

Reply #34 - February 08, 2013, 10:22 PM

I'm using Android 4.1 with Chrome, and you probably noticed from my screenshot I get the same slight avatar overlap as ateapotist.

Reply #35 - February 08, 2013, 10:22 PM

Ah that. That's tricky. Thing is if you set your personal settings to whatever for desktop, obviously the software remembers your settings when you come back again, even if you are on a different device.

If I force it to auto-load the mobile version regardless, anyone who has a phone that wont cope with it is stuffed, plus they have no option of going to the full version if they wish to do that for some reason. Some people just like using standard websites on mobile. Not sure why, but they do.

I cam try forcing it to mobile regardless, but the problem there is it couldn't remember your settings for desktop anyway, because they would be wiped from the database. Hmm. Thinking aloud here. grin12

Will have to see if I can conjure up some devious ploy.

Reply #36 - February 08, 2013, 10:23 PM

I'm using Android 4.1 with Chrome, and you probably noticed from my screenshot I get the same slight avatar overlap as ateapotist.

Yeah I'll sort something for that.

Reply #37 - February 08, 2013, 10:26 PM

I just tried it on the stock browser and it came up with the mobile layout, but I wasn't signed in. As soon as I signed in it switched to Standard, which was the last view I was using. I switched it to mobile on the phone and then refreshed this page on my computer and it is now in mobile.

Reply #38 - February 08, 2013, 10:30 PM

Just saw your last message after I tried all that. Yeah, there are some sites with really shit mobile versions that I prefer to use the desktop version on my phone. It can usually handle it pretty well. And it makes sense that it would remember your settings across devices. It's really not a big deal to switch each time, and I didn't even consider that a bug. It would just be convenient if it would know what I want all the time Cheesy

But then it would make sense if HM is using widescreen on his desktop then it would use it when he signs in on his phone.

And if you're wondering, both standard and smallscreen are useless on the phone. I only get the menus, no content. It just scrolls through a white page til it gets to the footer.

Reply #39 - February 08, 2013, 10:32 PM

I just tried it on the stock browser and it came up with the mobile layout, but I wasn't signed in. As soon as I signed in it switched to Standard, which was the last view I was using. I switched it to mobile on the phone and then refreshed this page on my computer and it is now in mobile.

Yup, because it's remembering your settings. The way it remembers people is a bit funny, and is buried deep in the source code for the software. When you're logged in, it just checks whatever you set under your member details. It does track cookies, so even if you are logged out it will sometimes recognise you (or it thinks it does) but I've never dug that deep. Might have to.

Reply #40 - February 08, 2013, 10:35 PM

And if you're wondering, both standard and smallscreen are useless on the phone. I only get the menus, no content. It just scrolls through a white page til it gets to the footer.

That's weird.

Reply #41 - February 08, 2013, 10:59 PM

Angry

how do i get out of this "test" theme and back to my blue normal screen? please!!?  Huh?
     Reply #42 - February 08, 2013, 11:01 PM

k gots it  Afro
     Reply #43 - February 08, 2013, 11:17 PM

Yup. ^ This one's a biggie.  The avatar/username overlap issue can be ignored.

Anyway, I was gonna disclaim that I don't use my phone to surf the web much.
    Also, one more bit of feedback: the text seems too large, at least on my Samsung S3. The text size when using the 'Smallscreen' layout is better.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #44 - February 08, 2013, 11:41 PM

I'm also on an S3 (high five!) and yeah, the text is a bit bigger on the mobile layout than the others and it could go smaller, but it's probably best to leave it a little larger for those that don't have as big of screens as us yes

Reply #45 - February 09, 2013, 12:23 AM

Well here's a clue if you want to look into the white screen on standard and small screen. I tried changing my user agent and it made no difference (either that or I didn't change it right). But then I decided to try landscape, which I hardly ever use and I saw some content cut off on the right. No ideas currently of why it's getting cut off, but here are some screenshots. Both of these are in standard view.

Reply #46 - February 09, 2013, 12:47 AM

I messed around some more and found if I click hide sidebar it sorts itself out, albeit a bit squished.

Reply #47 - February 09, 2013, 05:14 AM

Love the new logo and theme, thanks Os!

I only have a few minor suggestions:
    • Favorites icon needs to be updated to match the newer, sexier logo. Wink
    • Top left "Welcome" sidebar should show the # of new PM's and a direct link to the inbox like the older themes.
     Reply #48 - February 09, 2013, 06:49 AM

Thanks Osz for the new layout, and easy to click new post button,
    now scuse me am gonna make meself at home to familiarize  with this one.
     Reply #49 - February 09, 2013, 10:11 AM

Love the new logo and theme, thanks Os!

I only have a few minor suggestions:
    • Favorites icon needs to be updated to match the newer, sexier logo. Wink
    • Top left "Welcome" sidebar should show the # of new PM's and a direct link to the inbox like the older themes.

Nope. You have a link to your inbox in every one of your posts, and if you have any new messages it will tell you that too.

TBH I think the top block is totally redundant. Everything it does is available elsewhere, except for the actual log in form.

Reply #50 - February 09, 2013, 10:13 AM

Angry

how do i get out of this "test" theme and back to my blue normal screen? please!!?  Huh?

I told you ages ago that I'll be killing your "normal" one anyway. grin12

Reply #51 - February 09, 2013, 10:15 AM

Well here's a clue if you want to look into the white screen on standard and small screen.

TBH they're not meant for phones anyway. "Small" in this context means small desktop (like 1024 or 800).

Reply #52 - February 09, 2013, 10:18 AM

I'm also on an S3 (high five!) and yeah, the text is a bit bigger on the mobile layout than the others and it could go smaller, but it's probably best to leave it a little larger for those that don't have as big of screens as us yes

Probably depends on the phone you have. On iStuff the pixel pitch (with Retina or without) is quite a bit smaller than the average desktop monitor, so font size really needs to be a bit bigger.

Reply #53 - February 09, 2013, 06:22 PM

Well here's a clue if you want to look into the white screen on standard and small screen. I tried changing my user agent and it made no difference (either that or I didn't change it right). But then I decided to try landscape, which I hardly ever use and I saw some content cut off on the right. No ideas currently of why it's getting cut off, but here are some screenshots. Both of these are in standard view.

(Clicky for piccy!)

Hey, is that using Safari? It reminds me of a specific Safari/Windows bug*. If Apple have the same bug on phones, they're fucking idiots.

Appallingly bad rendering of those header bars, BTW. They must be using a 90's Nintendo rendering engine. Tongue

And I think I'm going to force mobile mode automatically for any mobile user agent. If you have a desktop user agent, you'll get the layout options. If it's a mobile user agent, you'll get phone mode whether you like it or not. I'm not into playing whack a mole. Been there, done that. totally over it.

*Bug being that if you have a margin on one side of an element Safarti will insist on a margin on both sides. They have done it for ages. Nobody else does it. You might think the bloody idiots would be capable of fixing it.

Reply #54 - February 09, 2013, 06:43 PM

I actually didn't even notice the header bars like that, it's not as noticeable on the phone screen I guess. It's Chrome on Android 4.1 on a Samsung S3.

Reply #55 - February 09, 2013, 06:49 PM

Ok. So Chrome on Android has the bug that Safari on Windows has, and Chrome on Windows doesn't have. Google are absolute geniuses. Cheesy

I actually didn't even notice the header bars like that, it's not as noticeable on the phone screen I guess.

Found the cause: http://developer.coronalabs.com/forum/2011/09/26/gif-images-dont-work-android-device-builds-bug

Android can't handle gif's. Header bar background is a gif (just because it's an old image from the old theme and I never changed it). I'll change it to png.

Reply #56 - February 10, 2013, 10:58 PM

Just in case anyone is still confused, please check the attached picture.

I will sort the coding for automatic mobile layout on phones, but it will take me a day or two to check it all. In the meantime, please use the clicky thing.

Reply #57 - February 13, 2013, 09:36 PM

Had some feedback via PM about the mobile version:

Mobile theme is wonderful, thanks!

The smileys have too much whitespace between them though, and could they possibly be put below the input area?

Great job!

Anyone else agree with this? I don't actually use a phone myself, so I'm relying on input. All I can do is test on a tiny window (which drives me bonkers but that's another story).

Reply #58 - February 13, 2013, 09:50 PM

Yes, I agree.  I was gonna mention it before but I thought maybe for those with fat fingers it might be better to space out those icons. Tongue  Here's a pic showing how they take up the whole screen:

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #59 - February 13, 2013, 10:00 PM

K. Will play around with some code tonight. Been meaning to for a few days anyway.

One idea I did have was a pop-up panel, like the old smartphone theme had for the memberlist sorting details (if anyone can remember). I haven't done the memberlist template for this theme yet. It's still using the one from the old default theme.

Anyway, smileys and BBC buttons could go on something like that. Screeny of the old one V V.....

• Previous page 1 23 4 ... 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »