Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: New site default theme (about friggin' time).

(Read 46068 times)
  • 12 3 ... 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • New site default theme (about friggin' time).
     OP - February 07, 2013, 10:10 PM

Ok, the forum is getting a facelift.

The old themes are still available for the moment, but the site default has been changed.

If you want to keep using one of the old themes, you can still select that permanently in your profile options.

The theme selector gizmo at the bottom of the left column is session-dependent, not permanent.

Post any grumbles if you find some thing broken or unusable. Questions are fine too.

Any feedback is welcome, but please try to make it specific enough to be useful. Smiley

The new theme has four different backgrounds available, in a selector thingy you can find just under the FaceBook/Twitter/YouTube/RSS icons at top right.

There are also four layout options. Mobile and smallscreen are still a bit WIP, but there's nothing like making something public to get more bug reports. bunny

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #1 - February 07, 2013, 10:20 PM

party!

Is that specific enough to be useful?

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself
    - 32nd United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt
     Reply #2 - February 07, 2013, 10:21 PM

No, but I like it anyway. dance

Reply #3 - February 07, 2013, 10:26 PM

I've been using this theme since you first put it up and I really like it. I've also been using the mobile version whenever I'm on my phone and so far no problems. Really great job on this one, os Afro

Reply #4 - February 07, 2013, 10:29 PM

I agree.  I like it too.  the taupe sponge painted look along the edges is calming.  LOL

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
     Reply #5 - February 07, 2013, 10:30 PM

Yeah TBH I haven't looked at the old site default theme for yonks, except just before I log in. Every time I do see it I think "Jesus H Christ, what an eyeburner." Cheesy

Time to get this one out and about. yes

Reply #6 - February 07, 2013, 10:35 PM

The new layout looks more futuristic, in a way. More pleasing, aesthetically.  It's a little slow for my phone browser when I scroll up or down, but maybe if I use my home pc browser things would be different.

Aside from the above criticism, the new layout is much more intuitive and easier to use.

BTW, really love your search bar on the top which allows me to write any topic name I want to search for. Thanks Smiley

Tell the bird of superstitions not to speak
    The string of reasons will tie its beak
    Even if faith comes with water of the seven seas
    It'll evaporate on the griddle of wisdom with a shriek.

- Josh Malihabadi
     Reply #7 - February 07, 2013, 10:35 PM

On the Mobile version, only half the screen shows up (The half with the shout box and the most recent threads.) I can't scroll over to the featured posts and the cool Jesus and Mo cartoons. I don't think it's my phone. I never had that problem before and I cleared all my history and cache and all that good stuff.
     Reply #8 - February 07, 2013, 10:36 PM

Besides that it looks awesome.
     Reply #9 - February 07, 2013, 10:45 PM

I especially love the caption. Other than that, so simple and nice ! good job Smiley
     Reply #10 - February 07, 2013, 11:07 PM

On the Mobile version, only half the screen shows up (The half with the shout box and the most recent threads.) I can't scroll over to the featured posts and the cool Jesus and Mo cartoons. I don't think it's my phone. I never had that problem before and I cleared all my history and cache and all that good stuff.

They aren't "over". They're "under". On the mobile layout, the side column would take up too much space. So, it's re-positioned to sit above the main forum content.

It can be collapsed anyway if you want it collapsed (link is in the top left and says "Hide sidebar"), and all blocks within it can be collapsed individually. For instance, 99% of the time I'll have the "Welcome" and "Donations" blocks collapsed, and the shoutbox a lot of the time too.

If it's not workable on mobile I can think about changes, but this sort of thing is pretty much how most desktop<=>mobile layouts adapt. It's just down to how you sort out the details.

Reply #11 - February 07, 2013, 11:13 PM

It's cool. I went back to the old layout. It's what I'm used to and it looks good on my phone. thnkyu
     Reply #12 - February 08, 2013, 02:44 AM

I've been using this theme for a while too. It's awesome. I like:
    - the quick edit, quote and more buttons
    - the Send a message button
    - the popup box when you click someone's username
    - the search bar at the top of the page  (but searches take forever! I swear they never used to take this long)
    - the OP or Reply # text on each post
    - it generally looks more modern

Just one minor issue:
    The avatar overlaps slightly with the username in the Mobile layout.  I've tried Chrome on Android 4.  See screenshot below:

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #13 - February 08, 2013, 02:51 AM

This new mobile theme freaked me out when I first saw it.
    I will test it out and go back if I don't like it.

Women are the only exploited group in history to have been idealized into powerlessness.
    ―Erica Jong
     Reply #14 - February 08, 2013, 04:13 AM

Alternatively, rather than hiding in a corner and grumping to yourself about it, you could always come up with some constructive suggestions for changes. Wink

The old themes wont be staying all that long. I'm over supporting that many different ones.

@Teapot: looks like the old Internet Exlporer float/margin bug. Nice of Webkit to import that one to modern mobiles.  Cheesy

I'll see what I can do about it.

- the search bar at the top of the page  (but searches take forever! I swear they never used to take this long)

Might be something to do with the top bar code, as opposed to the old "full search options" page.

ETA: Can see another minor buglet in there too.

Reply #15 - February 08, 2013, 05:36 AM

The old themes are still available for the moment...

Please don't delete Outline. Cry

Life is what happens to you while you're staring at your smartphone.

Eternal Sunshine of the Religionless Mind
     Reply #16 - February 08, 2013, 12:11 PM

I think it looks beautiful, well done guys, just some tweaks needed it looks like.
     Reply #17 - February 08, 2013, 02:10 PM

Very nice color looking layout, here is some feedback:

It looks fine on a computer. But on my Iphone, I don't see the "recent posts" sidebar on the left, instead that appears at the very bottom of the page, so I have to scroll all the way down, and even there it is not the same, it shows each latest post as a separate entry rather than just one from each thread.

At the top it allows me to choose different layouts from a drop-down box but the "Mobile" one is the only one that works for me on the phone.

The new tagline "Freedom of Speech, Freedom of expression" is cool but it makes it more obvious that I am not working if someone was to walk into my office, before the acronym "CEMB" could be some sort of work related forum. I can imagine for other people who are trying to hide what they are doing from their parents this could also be an issue.

Reply #18 - February 08, 2013, 02:17 PM

Cheesy "The new tagline "Freedom of Speech, Freedom of expression" is cool but it makes it more obvious that I am not working if someone was to walk into my office, before the acronym "CEMB" could be some sort of work related forum."

lol. Ditto marks.
     Reply #19 - February 08, 2013, 02:45 PM

-

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #20 - February 08, 2013, 03:13 PM

There were two more comments on the shout box about the layout on mobile phones. It is very difficult to navigate the new format on smart phones. The old version was very smooth and easy.
     Reply #21 - February 08, 2013, 08:28 PM

You still aren't giving me much useful information. Your posts amount to little more than "I don't like it", and I have other posts saying it's great on a phone.

And I am NOT going to trawl through old shouts trying to find bug reports, especially if they consist of "I don't like it". If you want results, you'll have to make some attempt to work with me on this. I can't buy every model of phone on the planet just to check all of them out.

Reply #22 - February 08, 2013, 09:07 PM

I don’t want to come off as though we are just bitching about the new format—we aren’t. It is difficult for me to be more technical because I’m not entirely sure how you can format the layout any differently. I can only describe to you what I see and hope that helps you towards a solution. On the old layout, I could see everything on my phone essentially the same way that it appears on my laptop. Now, the sections overlap and the proportions are not correct. The side bar on the left with the recent posts are the biggest and the actual threads on the right are very small and jumbled together, making it difficult to scroll and read. Even when I collapse the bar on the left (which I don’t like to do because I can’t see the new posts that way) the proportions in the thread section are not the same as they used to be. When there used to be an entire paragraph, now there are only several sentences. Also, the avatars overlap with the positions and the signatures overlap as well. Let me know if that was helpful.

Reply #23 - February 08, 2013, 09:11 PM

So what phone are you using?

Reply #24 - February 08, 2013, 09:12 PM

LG Spectrum
     Reply #25 - February 08, 2013, 09:18 PM

That's weird, coz that sucker is running the latest Android and should behave like Teapot's phone (which is fine). Unless you've got one of the old ones that had Android 2.x. That would explain it.

Reply #26 - February 08, 2013, 09:24 PM

Short version: if you've got an old phone, you'll probably have to use the old theme or the basic WAP2 interface.

Reply #27 - February 08, 2013, 09:25 PM

It's not even a year old, so I dunno. The old version works perfect for me on my phone so if we could keep it alive it would mean the world to me. thnkyu
     Reply #28 - February 08, 2013, 09:31 PM

If it's a Spectrum, it's Android 2.x. If it's a Spectrum 2, it's Ice Cream Sandwich.

TBH, given the near total dominance of iStuff and Android, and given the fast turnover in phones, I decided not to give too much of a rat's about anything other than the latest of those two. The early "smartphones" had pretty abysmal standards support, which makes them a nightmare to code for.

I was going to keep the WAP2 anyway, just for people who still have really primitive phones and/or tight data transfer restrictions. I can keep at least one of the old table-based themes for a while too. I assume by "old layout" you mean the old site default theme.

Reply #29 - February 08, 2013, 09:59 PM

I just tried this on my Android and when I use the widescreen version I get what you describe, HM. Use the dropdown at the top to switch to Mobile view.

• 12 3 ... 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »