Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 06:51 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 28, 2024, 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Whats your favourite author or book?

(Read 10012 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Whats your favourite author or book?
     OP - February 01, 2013, 09:50 AM

I am an avid reader and would love to share some of the books i have come across which have shaped my outlook not just on religion but society, history, culture and many facets of our lives. I'll try to list some.

Down and out in Paris and london - George Orwell ( Anything by Orwell is a treat, would recommend his essays as well)
    Zadig - Voltaire (Fiction)
    Candide - Voltaire (Fiction)
    Micromega - Voltaire (Fiction)
    Another road side attraction - Tom Robbins (Fiction)
    B for beer - Tom Robbins ( Highly recommended for your kids, seriously if i had children i would read this with them) (fiction)
    A short history of nearly everything - Bill Bryson
    History- Herodotus
    People of the Abyss - Jack London
    A history of western philosophy -  Bertrand Russell
    Thomas Paine - Age of reason

Would recommend the non-fiction before the others but i do hope some of you have a crack at some of these works if you haven't already. Will be keeping my eyes peeled for your recommendations .

Many thanks.
     Reply #1 - February 01, 2013, 11:29 AM

Hunter S. Thompson, Robert A. Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, Philip K. Dick, Frank Herbert, Thomas Harris, William Golding, Lewis Carol, Wilbur Smith, Stephen King, Irvine Welsh, Robert Ludlum...

My favourite novel is far and away, without a doubt, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. It's just the most wonderful, beautiful, utterly captivating novel I've ever had the pleasure of reading. It'd be my desert island book even though I've already read it countless times and could probably recount a lot of it by heart. Just writing this makes me want to pick it up again. And I wouldn't put it down.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #2 - February 01, 2013, 07:40 PM

All that science fiction authors remind me of Carl Sagan, im just familiar with a few of those you mentioned but not too big on science fiction as such. Carl Sagan did a wonderful documentary called Cosmos, well worth a check and his book contact.
     Reply #3 - February 01, 2013, 07:49 PM

Shakespeare

Nabokov

Elmore Leonard

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #4 - February 01, 2013, 08:08 PM

Every Man Dies Alone by Hans Fallada (fiction)
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (fiction)
    Those are my two all time favorites.

Women are the only exploited group in history to have been idealized into powerlessness.
    ―Erica Jong
     Reply #5 - February 01, 2013, 08:11 PM

Good ol shakespear. there is quite an interesting book about Shakespeare by Bill Bryson, quite informational. Never knew Shakespeare was not only important to the literary world but a ground breaking innovator when it comes to theatre. Read only Lolita, poor Humbert :(.
     Reply #6 - February 01, 2013, 08:17 PM

seriously though, there's too many books and writers i love

God is Love.

Reply #7 - February 01, 2013, 09:44 PM

My God! My favorite author, I don't really have one, but there is this book that just dropped me dead after I read it: Catcher in the Rye. It's just sublime how one simple book could describe my whole outlook about life and how I should live life. For some reason, this book helps me a lot with depression. It snaps me out of it every time I read it.

Il faut savoir grandir et aller de l'avant.
     Reply #8 - February 02, 2013, 08:50 AM

The power of books, fucked  Afro

God is Love.

Reply #9 - February 03, 2013, 04:04 AM

I like Terry Pratchett and the whole Discworld series. When he discusses religion and Gods, it gives me pause and relief knowing how absurd the whole damn thing is and that I'm in a position now to laugh along.
     Reply #10 - February 07, 2013, 02:50 PM

All that science fiction authors remind me of Carl Sagan, im just familiar with a few of those you mentioned but not too big on science fiction as such. Carl Sagan did a wonderful documentary called Cosmos, well worth a check and his book contact.

Yeah, it's weird. I don't really consider myself a science fiction fan. The genre is a little hit and miss to me. I'm just not interested in 90% of the stuff that fills the science fiction section. I'm not much of a fan of stuff like Star Treck or science and jargon-heavy things like that. Things that require an instruction manual or appendix to fully enjoy. I'm not interested in star fleets and phasers and lasers and warp drives. I dunno, I don't wanna say it's too nerdy because some of it is a lot of fun. It makes for great movies. But it's not something I really wanna sit down and read.

Frank Herbert's Dune is not a generic sci-fi. It's a swashbuckler, if anything, almost bordering on a mythical saga. Heroes, villains, interesting characters and colourful locales, swordplay, religious zealotry, deep and meandering philosophy, political intrigue. While set in a technologically advanced fictional future, employing all the trappings of science fiction, it's told more like an adventure, like the Lord of the Rings, an epic, winding story that sweeps you away. It transports you to a different universe entirely rather than speculates about a possible future for this one. This kind of thing satisfies the fantacist in me. The escapist.

I read Asimov because I'm fascinated by A.I. Not because I'm interested in robotics or the technology per se, but because I'm interested in the mysteries of consciousness and the brain, or the philosophy and ethics of where the line would be between life and non-life, man and machine. That kinda shit really lights me up.

P.K.D's Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? Is basically a cat and mouse thriller, which ends up being a meditation on empathy and the human condition. We learn about ourselves as humans by looking in the mirror that the cyborgs present to us. The science fiction is just a backdrop. Aesthetics. A fascinating, clever, sometimes prophetic backdrop, but not really the meat and bones of the story. While he has some brilliant ideas that alone are sufficient to put him squarely within the science fiction greats, that's not really what it's about for me. It's nice to imagine the future, but what I really love is getting something I can appreciate now. Wisdom that has value now. Questions that are relevant now. Dare I say, spiritual questions. Matters of the heart and mind and soul. 

And Heinlein is one of the brightest people ever as far as I'm concerned. He may well be a science fiction writer, but in amongst all that is some of the most brilliant and insightful social commentary you're likely to read. He's so damn quotable. Words that transcend any fictional context he puts them in. He's like fucking Confucius or something.

Reply #11 - February 07, 2013, 03:12 PM

1. F. Scott Fitzgerald: I had to read The Great Gatsby as a teenager, and I didn't enjoy it. The book seemed too pretentious for my liking. But ever since I embarked on my career in being a novelist, I decided to re-read The Great Gatsby for inspiration. I wasn't disappointed. Even if you can't appreciate the story, the book is really the most perfectly worded book just in terms of English. His prose mixing British and American sensibilities is outstanding, to say the least. After each page the story became more interesting, however I can`t say that it was Amazing. All my sympathy to this book was connected with Gatsby. Gatsby was only more or less interesting and strong character with the American dream which destroyed him. A man which had such miserable dream and this dream was Daisy, which was everything for him. A man which spent all his time on a woman who loved money, games, frivolity and doesn't know about responsibility. There is love, fake, tragedy and there is no place for "The Great" Gatsby

2. Kurt Vonnegut: My favorite book of his is Slaughterhouse-Five.
    A disturbingly comedic (or comically disturbing?) satire of the inevitability of war, the age old fate vs. free will argument, and the gross desensitization of death, Slaughterhouse-Five analyzes the effects of the Bombing of Dresden on World War II veteran Billy Pilgrim. Told in a nonlinear narrative that is common for Vonnegut, this novel employs the rare literary device I like to call “Twilight Zone–ish extraterrestrialism,” which serves to highlight both the absurdity of free will as well as Pilgrim’s sense of temporal confusion resulting from his experiences with war. So it goes.

3. Salman Rushdie: "It happened that way because it happened." Rushdie's Midnight's Children is a masterpiece. As a reader I struggled to get "into" the book for almost the first hundred pages, but I continued reading because I realized that the reason I found it difficult to enter into was because of its complexity, detail and intelligence. This book is crafted by Rushdie as a first person Narrative about Saleem Sinai, one of 1,000 children born at midnight their births corresponding portentously with the independence of their country, India. The narrator rushes to tell his story before he falls apart, he is cracking, tearing, breaking down. He writes memories which flow in time but often overlap. These memories span from his mysterious ability triggered by having a drawstring too far up his cucumber-like nose, to the many women who have influenced his life, to the role of a lapis lazuli inlaid spittoon. There is a beautiful sense of connection throughout the text as the reader stumbles across the reason for an event or incidence which seemed strange or out of place earlier. There is almost a feeling of spiraling as each new chapter reveals different parts of the narrators strange, blessed--cursed life and continuously includes those parts already seen. The reader gains a larger and larger picture which loses nothing of what comes before despite the length of the text, because he is constantly being reminded by the story thus far in a fashion that skillfully, almost unwittingly avoids falling into boorish repetition. This novel was certainly worth taking time to learn the flow of the author's writing and follow that rhythm in order to really enter the world of Midnight's Children.

I have plenty of other favorite authors, but these are the only ones I can think of at the moment.

Tell the bird of superstitions not to speak
    The string of reasons will tie its beak
    Even if faith comes with water of the seven seas
    It'll evaporate on the griddle of wisdom with a shriek.

- Josh Malihabadi
     Reply #12 - February 08, 2013, 08:28 AM

P.K.D's Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? Is basically a cat and mouse thriller, which ends up being a meditation on empathy and the human condition. We learn about ourselves as humans by looking in the mirror that the cyborgs present to us. The science fiction is just a backdrop. Aesthetics. A fascinating, clever, sometimes prophetic backdrop, but not really the meat and bones of the story. While he has some brilliant ideas that alone are sufficient to put him squarely within the science fiction greats, that's not really what it's about for me. It's nice to imagine the future, but what I really love is getting something I can appreciate now. Wisdom that has value now. Questions that are relevant now. Dare I say, spiritual questions. Matters of the heart and mind and soul. 

I think this book was the basis for the 1982 epic "Blade Runner".
     Reply #13 - February 08, 2013, 09:21 AM

Stephen King is writing a sequel to The Shining.  Who else here thinks that is a terrible idea?

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
     Reply #14 - February 11, 2013, 06:50 AM

I think this book was the basis for the 1982 epic "Blade Runner".

Yeah it is. There is a lot left out of the novel though, despite it being a relatively short novel. A lot of the movie is pure Ridley Scott genius and vision too. But he's loyal to the main themes. Plus you have some unscripted work by the actors, most famously the "like tears in the rain..." monologue, and the movie is much richer for it.

Reply #15 - February 11, 2013, 06:57 AM

All Quiet on the Western Front - Erich Maria Remarque

I have some other ones but this one is my favorite, I have actually read it 3 times, imagine that, it is a true masterpiece´.

Reply #16 - February 11, 2013, 07:58 AM

I can't name one book particularly; so ill give a list of books I could read for hours
    Thomas Pain - Age of Reason
    Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion
    Murray Rothbard - For a new Liberty
    George Orwell - Animal Farm
    Carl Sagan - The Demon Haunted World
    Norman Finkelstein - Beyond Chutzpah
    Noam Chomsky - Manufacturing Consent
    Lysander Spooner - No Treason
    Alexander Solzhenitsyn - Gulag Archipelago
    Howard Zinn - People's History of the United States
    Eric Margolis - American Raj
    Stefan Molyneux - Against The Gods?
    Christopher Hitchens - The missionary Position (sorry I like this more than God is not Great)
    Larken Rose - How to be a Successful Tyrant
    Salman Rushdie - The Satanic Verses
    Surprisingly Ill add in The bible and Quran because I'm the type of person who enjoys knowing things for no reason and I like reading the chapters of the bible just to say as Winston Churchill's son said " God is a little Shit"

Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you.

Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure.
    - George Carlin
     Reply #17 - February 11, 2013, 11:46 AM

Is reading the Empire by Jeremy Paxman, quite an interesting book that deals with a a lot of questions regarding the conquered and the conqueror. Check out Sir Richard Francis Burton, he was a geographer, translator, linguist, spy who spoke over 20 languages. He went to Mecca and performed the hajj against the odds that he might be found out and put to death since non-muslims were not allowed in Mecca. He even had a circumcision to be on the safe side.
    Kudos to the poster for putting up Howard Zinn.
    Thanks for the synopsis Ishina, your insight on the books sounds interesting and i think i will put up Dune on my reading list.
    Can't get to like Salman Ruhdie, my interest in his work flat-lined after i read Grimus and Satanic Verses. Imho i think he is over rated and probably well known more by the fatwa than his literary skills. But that is just my opinion and that doesn't count for anything.
     Reply #18 - February 11, 2013, 12:33 PM

Christopher Hitchens
    The Trial of Henry Kissinger
    The Missionary Position

Sam Harris
    The Moral Landscape

George Orwell
    Animal Farm

These are the books/authors most appealing to me nowadays. Hitchens' flogging of Kissinger is so well written and shows the flexibility this man had as a writer. The book has the level of bureaucratic heaviness needed in picking apart the mafioso gang that was Nixon and Kissinger, yet Hitchens delivered his wit and sharpness throughout the book. 
    The Moral Landscape, I believe,  is the final and maybe heaviest blow to religious morality and a door opener to scientific morality, however controversial the latter term might seem. Harris manages to argue for it persuasively, though.
    I got into Orwell a couple of months ago, and now I'm consumed by this man. Animal Farm is a work of a genius. The language and even the style of writing is so simple, almost as if it was meant for children, yet you can almost smell the real life implications of his work, the scent of complex matters of reality. A wondrous book.

I see Salman Rushdie is mentioned here, so a great opportunity for me to rant. This guy is an utter fraud. This is the guy who, paid for by British tax-payers, had his ass watched after in expensive homes, with expensive drinks and, very often, expensive friends, and yet had the balls to complain about his life feeling like one big incarceration. His shot at celebrity life was also woeful. I applaud him for publishing the Satanic Verses, but he's since been a dick. A self-pitying shit.

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.
     Reply #19 - February 11, 2013, 01:15 PM

Stephen King is writing a sequel to The Shining.  Who else here thinks that is a terrible idea?

Ditto.

Women are the only exploited group in history to have been idealized into powerlessness.
    ―Erica Jong
     Reply #20 - February 11, 2013, 01:28 PM

Thank you SO MUCH for answering that question MB.  I was praying there were some other Stephen King geeks here!  Whew!

yeah, the next book is about Danny when he grows up.  I do not want to know.  For me, it all ends with the first book.  Period. 

Reply #21 - February 11, 2013, 01:35 PM

I might still read it if the reviews are good but generally I dislike sequels or prequels.
    Curiosity sometimes get's the best of me.  Embarrassed

―Erica Jong
     Reply #22 - February 11, 2013, 02:04 PM

I'm actually looking forward to it.

Reply #23 - February 11, 2013, 02:07 PM

I'm actually looking forward to it.

i'm not....if i could crawl into that old book and pull the spark plugs out of the SnowCat, i would do it in a heartbeat.  end the story.  period.  lol.

Reply #24 - February 11, 2013, 02:09 PM

Aren't you at least a little bit curious what happens to the kid?

Reply #25 - February 11, 2013, 02:12 PM

LOL.  NO.  We all know that boys like Danny grow up to be just like Daddy. 

I just don't want him to screw it up.  and I am sick of seeing books/movies getting prequels and sequels that are just unnecessary and not well done.  being a child of the 80's, I am just all "sequeled" out.  lol

Reply #26 - February 11, 2013, 02:13 PM

I do wonder what happened to wendy though....talk about a battered woman.

Reply #27 - February 11, 2013, 02:21 PM

Have you read the prologue?

Reply #28 - February 11, 2013, 03:41 PM

Christopher Hitches' work on Kissinger and Mother Theresa is an eye opener and probably his best work. I thought of him contradicting himself when it came to politics, he somehow ended up being an advocate for military strikes against Iraq,Iran,Pakistan and so on and so forth. He was also quite militant in his approach to religion and that in my view is as bad as religious fundamentalism. Besides that he wrote an article on why men are funnier than women and his primary argument was because men an innate drive to make women laugh so they can get into their pants, to me that reeked of misogyny. Besides he had his head so much up his arse that the only thing he could see was himself and to prove by hook or by crook that he was right and he came up with some atrocious reasons to justify his political allegiances with the war on terror campaign.

Orwell's novels are a good read and explains why he was disillusioned by the Imperialistic agenda back in those days but you can get a better insight by reading his essays which range from how to make a good cup of tea to the difference between nationalism and patriotism.
     Reply #29 - February 12, 2013, 03:53 AM

Kudos to the poster for putting up Howard Zinn.

Zinn was my favorite historian to read, my dad actually got to meet him and I saw him in person once when i was 5 though i didn't know who he was at the time and never knew how much reading his books impacted me throughout my life. I'm slightly saddened by the fact that I never got to meet him when I was interested in his works though.

Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you.

Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure.
    - George Carlin
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »