Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Movies you watched and would recommend

(Read 64818 times)
  • 12 3 ... 16 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Movies you watched and would recommend
     OP - January 02, 2013, 09:11 AM

So we don't have a thread for newish movies we already watched and would recommend?!

Ok here we go then...

I watched Cloud Atlas and totally loved it. Haven't liked the all the Wachowski films in the past, but this one was good, and it made me want to read the novel it's based on, which I'm now doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWnAqFyaQ5s

What have you watched recently that you'd recommend?

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
  • Movie just seen and would recommend
     Reply #1 - January 02, 2013, 11:15 AM

I definitely want to watch this.

I saw Looper recently and really liked it.

Also saw the recent adaptation of Jane Eyre with Michael Fassbender as Mr Rochester - very good indeed - excellent acting and direction.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #2 - January 02, 2013, 12:41 PM

Just watched The Hobbit and MIB III. Would recommend both, very entertaining. Now read more for spoilers:

Why did trolls in the Hobbit speak English? Did you think they had a British accent too? This and some other details made the movie a bit unrealistic, I thought.

"That it is indeed the speech of an illustrious messenger" (The Koran 69:40)
     Reply #3 - January 02, 2013, 01:13 PM

Watched the Life of Pi the other day, easily recommend it, was such an amazing movie.  Even my youngest 2 enjoyed it.

I'm planning to watch cloud atlas next and the hobbit. 

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #4 - January 02, 2013, 02:27 PM

ohhh i like this thread!  yes

i will be taking notes  popcorn
     Reply #5 - January 02, 2013, 03:44 PM

Good thread!

I recommend this movie:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1675434/

"Beauty is truth, truth beauty," - that is all
            Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.

- John Keats
     Reply #6 - January 02, 2013, 08:33 PM

Why did trolls in the Hobbit speak English? Did you think they had a British accent too? This and some other details made the movie a bit unrealistic, I thought.

So the most unbelievable thing about 10 foot giants roaming around eating dwarves was that they could speak English?
     Reply #7 - January 02, 2013, 08:51 PM

Argo

Well made and covers events that many dont know about regarding the hostage crisis. Plus it makes Canada look good Smiley

Nothing can be more contrary to religion and the clergy than reason and common sense. - Voltaire
     Reply #8 - January 02, 2013, 09:07 PM

So the most unbelievable thing about 10 foot giants roaming around eating dwarves was that they could speak English?

Not at all. I was not bothered by their ability to speak English. I was bothered by the fact that they chose to speak English and seemed to speak it so well as if English was their native tongue!!! I just can't believe it.

Reply #9 - January 02, 2013, 09:40 PM

whistling2

God is Love.

Reply #10 - January 02, 2013, 09:44 PM

What? There was something hard to believe in a movie about magical elves??

Don't anybody hijack the thread!

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #11 - January 02, 2013, 09:44 PM

What about the fire breathing dragons, giant spiders, giant eagles, etc. That stuff is more believable?

But yeah, I see what you are saying I guess, the Trolls should have developed their own language.

From what I remember about reading the books when I was a kid, what the Hobbits speak is the "common tongue" which is basically English, and what most of the humans speak too. Maybe each of the Trolls came from different Troll tribes with their own dialects so to speak to each other they used the "common tongue". In the same way I heard that in Al-Qaida training camps Pakistanis, Turks, and Arabs sometimes communicate with each other in English.
     Reply #12 - January 02, 2013, 09:46 PM

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #13 - January 04, 2013, 08:46 AM

Grin

Ok recently watched this movie by Deepa   Mehta "Heaven on Earth". Very interesting film about an Indian woman brought to Canada after marriage and how she's treated by her in-laws. Lots of stuff there that I know many South Asian families do in Canada. The film is Mehta's statement against multi cultural tolerance of oppression. Definitely recommended.

Reply #14 - January 05, 2013, 08:05 PM

The New Spider man movie.

Didn't like it....

The Green Goblin was a much better villian than the lizard thingy. 

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #15 - January 05, 2013, 08:09 PM

I agree, the new spider man sucked. Am I still the only person on this forum to have seen django? That movie was freakin awesome people, possibly the best film out right now.
     Reply #16 - January 05, 2013, 08:32 PM

I definitely want to watch this.

I saw Looper recently and really liked it.

Also saw the recent adaptation of Jane Eyre with Michael Fassbender as Mr Rochester - very good indeed - excellent acting and direction.

Looper was good actually

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
  • Re: Movie just seen and would recommend
     Reply #17 - January 05, 2013, 10:26 PM

I agree, the new spider man sucked. Am I still the only person on this forum to have seen django? That movie was freakin awesome people, possibly the best film out right now.

Its not out in the UK till the week after next and I cannot fucking wait to see it

I'm avoiding all spoilers until then, when I see it we can shoot the breeze about it here

God is Love.

Reply #18 - January 05, 2013, 10:30 PM

Sweet, you won't be disappointed. I saw it twice in the theater..haven't done that in years.
     Reply #19 - January 05, 2013, 10:43 PM

Is it as sick, disturbing and disgusting as other Tarantino's movies?

Reply #20 - January 05, 2013, 10:49 PM

It is very raw, but I'm not easily offended. The story line was very fresh and unpredictable, which is important for me. I'll write more of a review when I'm on my lap top and not my phone.
     Reply #21 - January 06, 2013, 06:57 AM

Just watched it. It is sick, disturbing and disgusting as were reactions of many people in the audience. If you love to watch brains splattered, body parts ripped off, human suffering and death and a lot of it and up close  then the movie is for you. Enjoy,

Reply #22 - January 21, 2013, 03:37 PM

Saw Django Unchained at the weekend. Normally when I watch a 3 hour movie, I know I've watched a 3 hour movie. It's exhausting. Like a marathon. Not this time. Close to 3 hours long, felt more like an hour. I was hungry for more. Thinking about going to see it again next weekend just so I can double check how awesome it is.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #23 - January 21, 2013, 03:57 PM

I agree. Django Unchained gets my nomination for best movie of the year. I know that it has come under a lot of fire for the controversial subject matter, but I watch a movie first and for most for its ability to tell a compelling, fictional story. With that in mind, Django does a great job. I know that in reality, Jamie Fox is not a freed slave, he's one of the richest black men on the planet. Leonardo DiCaprio was not a racist plantation owner and no Negroes were eaten alive by dogs during the filming of the movie. I would say that to tell a fictional story based in the grim and horrid settings of the slave era American south and not to depict that time as cruel, inhumane, and disgusting would have been truly offensive. Django could play every second of every day for the next 400 years and it would not amount to even a fraction of the injustice that went on back then. To shed light on that era and to tell an entertaining, epic, badass story while doing so was in my mind a masterpiece.      
     Reply #24 - January 21, 2013, 04:07 PM

Lincoln was pretty cool. It is kind of slow and nothing much happens. It is just the story of Abe Lincoln trying to get the Emancipation bill through the Senate. If you are interested in history and politics then it is pretty interesting, but if you aren't interested in that then you might find it boring.  I watched it with my sister, who took a nap through the middle part of the film and then woke up right before the end where the bill finally gets passed and she did not really miss any of the plot.
     Reply #25 - January 21, 2013, 04:32 PM

I agree. Django Unchained gets my nomination for best movie of the year. I know that it has come under a lot of fire for the controversial subject matter, but I watch a movie first and for most for its ability to tell a compelling, fictional story.

Yeah, I'm struggling to care about the criticisms. I pay my money to be entertained, not lectured or moralised at. What did they honestly expect from a Tarantino movie? They are living in a fucking dreamworld if they expected a maudlin and sensitive meditation on slavery. Gimmie a shit-wrecking ex-slave bounty hunter carving a path of bloody vengeance.

Leonardo DiCaprio was not a racist plantation owner and no Negroes were eaten alive by dogs during the filming of the movie.

Oh my, Leonardo DiCaprio.

Y'know, I was sold already with just Waltz and Foxx, within minutes. I'd have been happy if the rest of the movie was just the relationship between their two characters and the interplay between two fantastic actors. I was so wrapped up in it that I'd forgotten DiCaprio was supposed to be in it. He stole the show. He's catapulted himself from one of my most loved living actors into my out and out fave living actor. Absolutely mesmerising performance.

Reply #26 - January 21, 2013, 04:41 PM

Oh my, Leonardo DiCaprio.

Y'know, I was sold already with just Waltz and Foxx, within minutes. I'd have been happy if the rest of the movie was just the relationship between their two characters and the interplay between two fantastic actors. I was so wrapped up in it that I'd forgotten DiCaprio was supposed to be in it. He stole the show. He's catapulted himself from one of my most loved living actors into my out and out fave living actor. Absolutely mesmerising performance.

I totally agree. DiCaprio did a phenomenal job with his character. I have gained a lot of respect for his acting over the years.  Candie was such a different character for him to have to play, and he nailed it! The close up shots when you could see his facial expressions and the fury in his eyes, that southern twang...it was all dead on.
     Reply #27 - January 21, 2013, 05:06 PM

I totally agree. DiCaprio did a phenomenal job with his character. I have gained a lot of respect for his acting over the years.  Candie was such a different character for him to have to play, and he nailed it! The close up shots when you could see his facial expressions and the fury in his eyes, that southern twang...it was all dead on.

The part where he cuts his hand and wipes blood on the face of Broomhilda is unscripted.
    Leo accidentally cut his hand on broken glass mid-scene but just ran with it, never breaking character.
    That's dedication to the art.

Reply #28 - January 21, 2013, 05:28 PM

Just saw this on TV, brilliant!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EZZbGhfbes

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
     Reply #29 - January 21, 2013, 06:12 PM

Confessions - Awesome, new favourite movie, has to be seen. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnws8ZymxME

Les Miserables - Another great movie which I highly recommend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuEFm84s4oI

Obviously Django unchained, kept me up beyond a time that I should have been up.  Great film. 

Intouchables - French film, loved it.  Made me do the happy cry thing. 

The hobbit - Great film just annoyed it wasn't all of it.  Grin

Cloud Atlas - Great, recommending again.

^^ I'd make a great film critic.  Grin

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
  • 12 3 ... 16 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »