Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 14, 2024, 05:54 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Debate on Islam and evolution called off after revolt by student association

(Read 3700 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Debate on Islam and evolution called off after revolt by student association
     OP - December 16, 2012, 12:07 AM

What happened  Adam deen is upset., did some one set his ass on fire[/b][/size]??

CAIRO – Plans by a Muslim forum to hold a debate on Islam and evolution at one of Britain's top scientific universities have been shelved over opposition from Muslim students.

"It’s symptomatic of a bigger problem in the Muslim world where people representing practical Muslims have to be seen to be more literalist,” Adam Deen, co-founder of the Deen Institute, told The Independent on Saturday, December 15.

"It’s almost like there’s an intellectual mafia movement who won’t allow any freedom of thought."

what? Adam Deen finds intellectual mafia movement that suppresses  freedom of thought in21st century... that is funny..

Huh!. Islam and evolution? and that gets published in Cairo?  Indeed some one set Adam Deen  ass on fire .. Let me find more on that..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL-X3unx8Wo

well, one of my  life purposes also setting fire in the brain.  Specially targeting people like Adam Deen  

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Re: Debate on Islam and evolution called off after revolt by student association
     Reply #1 - December 16, 2012, 12:23 AM

"It's symptomatic of a bigger problem in the Muslim world where people representing practical Muslims have to be seen to be more literalist,” Adam Deen, co-founder of the Deen Institute, told The Independent on Saturday, December 15."It's almost like there's an intellectual mafia movement who won't allow any freedom of thought."

Creation or Evolution?

Evolution in the Light of Islam

Rethinking Darwin

Bridging the Gap Between Evolution and Faith

Darwinism from an Islamic Perspective

The Deen Institute, a Muslim debating forum which promotes critical thinking, has planned to hold a conference entitled “Have Muslims misunderstood evolution?” early next year. Speakers invited at the event included Muslim scientists, imams who have promoted the compatibility of Islam and evolution as well as those who preach a form of Islamic creationism. Deen, who describes himself as a “conservative Muslim” who encourages critical thinking, said he was surprised to face such opposition at a place of scientific study. /b]

As soon as it went live I was inundated with complaints,” one source involved with preparations said.

“It's sad because student societies should be desperate to host this kind of debate.” Facing opposition from Muslim students, the Institute said it was forced to pull out when it became clear that opposition to the event from supporters of creationism began mounting.

It is now being held without input from any Muslim student society at Logan Hall, a conference center owned by the University of London. We eventually had to give up of getting any support from student societies because it was seen as simply too controversial,” Deen said.

Dr Oktar Babuna, a representative from the prominent Turkish theologian Harun Yahya movement, is scheduled to speak at the conference alongside Sheikh Yasir Qadhi, an influential imam who accepts evolution at a micro level but refuses the idea that man evolved from anything other than Adam himself.

Two Muslim scientists; American biologists Ehab Abouheif and Fatimah Jackson, will also speak alongside Usama Hasan, a British imam who preaches the commonly held scientific view that man is descended from ape-like forebears.  Another commenter, Zeshan Sasjid, shares a similar view.

"Evolution is not Islamic,” he said.

“Prophet Adam did not have parents. A Muslim can't believe that.”

Yap.,.   that is a fact_    "Evolution is not Islamic Goal ... Stagnation and stagnating brain is Islamic goal"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxkGygvYJRk

• Re: Debate on Islam and evolution called off after revolt by student association
     Reply #2 - December 16, 2012, 02:30 AM

The Deen Institute .. Adam Deen Institute   proudly announces its first ‘Dialogue within Islam’ event. The conference titled: Have Muslims Misunderstood Evolution?, will for the first time in the UK, witness prominent Muslims tackling the controversial topic of evolution in a public forum.

'Dialogue within Islam' events seek to engage with challenging ideas of concern to Muslims, in a setting that allows for critical dialogue.

Historically, Muslims have held conflicting opinions on the theory of evolution and whether science and Islamic theology share a point of convergence. In recent years, a polarised debate on the topic has left many Muslims confused as to what Islam does, or doesn’t say, about human evolution. The Deen Institute will therefore provide a platform to different viewpoints so that the topic might be debated and examined in an honest, respectful and tolerant environment.

The conference will elucidate the issue of human evolution from an Islamic viewpoint, in order to provide the audience with a clear understanding of the points of convergence between contemporary scientific theories and Islamic theology.

OK   then what happened?  all that is from http://www.thedeeninstitute.com/evolution-conference

Reply #3 - December 18, 2012, 11:02 AM

Apologies if this was posted already ..

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/debate-on-islam-and-evolution-has-to-be-called-off-after-revolt-by-student-societies-8418022.html

Teach us to care and not to care / Teach us to sit still.
    What do we live for; if it is not to make life less difficult to each other
    You are the music while the music lasts.
    T.S.Eliot
     Reply #4 - December 18, 2012, 06:05 PM

From the article:

"“If our faith is strong we can only gain from looking at, hearing and understanding difference,” wrote Amina Crashaw. “If this were not truth I would not be Muslim. Understanding difference include being open to finding something new to learn from the Qur’an. Not new facts but new depth.”"

grin12 dance Cheesy

Am I the only one who finds the second part of the quote hilarious, given the first part of the quote and the last sentence?

Basically, this is like saying "oh, I have no problem learning about the historical facts of American slavery; not because I may learn something new, no, because I will be able to discover more wonderful facts about the KKK helping Blacks establish human rights in the US".

cool2
     Reply #5 - December 18, 2012, 07:27 PM

lol'd hard at the title.
     Reply #6 - December 18, 2012, 07:28 PM

Yup. I'll merge it.

ETA: Bugger. Can't find the other thread, but I know I saw it somewhere. It might have been just someone's comment within a thread about a different topic.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #7 - December 18, 2012, 07:38 PM

Yup. I'll merge it.

ETA: Bugger. Can't find the other thread, but I know I saw it somewhere. It might have been just someone's comment within a thread about a different topic.

right below this folder...

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=22724.0

Reply #8 - December 18, 2012, 07:48 PM

Well if you had given it a sensible title that may have helped the search algorithm. Tongue

That's not the thread I was thinking of, though. The one I was thinking of was less idiosyncratic. parrot

Reply #9 - December 18, 2012, 07:52 PM

I've merged these two for now, with Fara's title. Wink

Reply #10 - December 18, 2012, 07:55 PM

Probably because they knew they would be absolutely torn apart  Cheesy
     Reply #11 - December 19, 2012, 09:35 PM

Locking this one. Existing topic is on the link, and merging the two would give messy results.

Have Muslims misunderstood evolution?

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »