Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: UK census figures 2011

(Read 2148 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • UK census figures 2011
     OP - December 11, 2012, 11:52 AM

The number of people identifying as Christians has fallen, the number of Muslims has increased from 2 % of the population to 5%  (almost 3 million)

Britain is also becoming increasingly multi-ethnic

Mixed race people are the fastest growing ethnic demographic I believe

Some details here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20677515

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

• UK census figures 2011
     Reply #1 - December 11, 2012, 11:59 AM

The number of residents who stated that their religion was Christian in 2011 was fewer than in 2001. The size of this group decreased 13 percentage points to 59 per cent (33.2 million) in 2011 from 72 per cent (37.3 million) in 2001.

The size of the group who stated that they had no religious affiliation increased by 10 percentage points from 15 per cent (7.7 million) in 2001 to 25 per cent (14.1 million) in 2011.

From census site

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
  • UK census figures 2011
     Reply #2 - December 11, 2012, 12:05 PM

BBC is being naughty!  It is not 3 million muslims!

Despite falling numbers Christianity remains the largest religion in England and Wales in 2011. Muslims are the next biggest religious group and have grown in the last decade. Meanwhile the proportion of the population who reported they have no religion has now reached a quarter of the population.
    In the 2011 Census, Christianity was the largest religion, with 33.2 million people (59.3 per cent of the population). The second largest religious group were Muslims with 2.7 million people (4.8 per cent of the population).

14.1 million people, around a quarter of the population in England and Wales, reported they have no religion in 2011.

The religion question was the only voluntary question on the 2011 census and 7.2 per cent of people did not answer the question.

Between 2001 and 2011  there has been a decrease in people who identify as Christian (from 71.7 per cent to 59.3 per cent) and an increase in those reporting no religion (from 14.8 per cent to 25.1 per cent). There were increases in the other main religious group categories, with the number of Muslims increasing the most (from 3.0 per cent to 4.8 per cent).

In 2011, London was the most diverse region with the highest proportion of people identifying themselves as Muslim, Bhuddist, Hindu and Jewish. The North East and North West had the highest proportion of Christians and Wales had the highest proportion of people reporting no religion.

Knowsley was the local authority with the highest proportion of people reporting to be Christians at 80.9 per cent and Tower Hamlets had the highest proportion of Muslims at 34.5 per cent (over 7 times the England and Wales figure).  Norwich had the highest proportion of the population reporting no religion at 42.5 per cent.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/census/2011-census/key-statistics-for-local-authorities-in-england-and-wales/rpt-religion.html

Move to Norwich or Wales!

When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

A.A. Milne,

• UK census figures 2011
     Reply #3 - December 11, 2012, 12:16 PM

Move to Norwich or Wales!

How do you know that dawahgandists don't have the same idea ?  Cheesy Cheesy

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
  • UK census figures 2011
     Reply #4 - December 11, 2012, 01:34 PM

I think it's interesting when I keep hearing about the growth of Muslims, and how they are going to take over, from both Muslims themselves and paranoid non-Muslims. Only comparing themselves with Christianity, yet ignoring other religions, and people who have left religion which is on the rise. I don't buy the whole hub-bub about Muslims taking over Europe.Numbers will go up yeah but not to the predictions people are saying.   I also anticipate the birthrate going down with every generation, as more women seek higher educations rather than being pressured into marriage.

Another thing which I think is ignored by Muslims proudly declaring they are 'winning' in Europe because they are the 'true' religion.  Christianity is still growing at an even faster rate in Africa, because of missionaries and Christian charities.  Places are speaking more English than Arabic. The more I look at it, the more I realize how Islam like to pick and choose, and compare itself selectively to make itself stand out. 

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
  • UK census figures 2011
     Reply #5 - December 11, 2012, 02:59 PM

Just reading the comments section on the BBC, and it looks like all the dickhead BNP/UKIP voters have come out of hibernation and decided to unleash an onslaught of unveiled bigotry and hysteria.
  • UK census figures 2011
     Reply #6 - December 11, 2012, 03:11 PM

Welcome to the internet.

"Nobody who lived through the '50s thought the '60s could've existed. So there's always hope."-Tuli Kupferberg

What apple stores are like.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8QmZWv-eBI
  • UK census figures 2011
     Reply #7 - December 11, 2012, 03:18 PM

In fairness, the BBC comments are relatively tame, many of them are ignorant or asinine, but the pure bigotry and hatred level is comparatively low. Try reading the same story at the Sun, the Mail, the Telegraph or even the Times, and you'll be shocked.

"Nobody who lived through the '50s thought the '60s could've existed. So there's always hope."-Tuli Kupferberg

• UK census figures 2011
     Reply #8 - December 11, 2012, 06:22 PM

Of the 33 million xians in Britain, probably 30 million do not go near a church, say prayers or do anything religious.  The snag with these newer foreign religions is that their adherents practice it!  That is just not British.

Singing God Save the Queen at Christmas defines you as Xian!

A.A. Milne,

• UK census figures 2011
     Reply #9 - December 11, 2012, 06:37 PM

Who sings God Save the Queen at Christmas?  Cheesy

• UK census figures 2011
     Reply #10 - December 11, 2012, 08:22 PM

You mean you don't stand up at the beginning and end of the Queen's Christmas broadcast?  I am shocked.  Shocked.   parrot

A.A. Milne,

• UK census figures 2011
     Reply #11 - December 11, 2012, 08:53 PM

I don't watch the Queen's christmas broadcast, I'm watching Shrek or Home Alone or Bridget Jones at that time usually. Or stuffing my fat face with chocolate.  The Queen gives the same speech every year anyway 'times are tough and I feel my subjects' pain, but we must all stand together and do our best and love each other', great, thanks ma'am, so enlightening.

• UK census figures 2011
     Reply #12 - December 13, 2012, 06:23 AM

You should listen to hear. She knows first hand that times are though grin12 !
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »