Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Why Do You Self Identity As Ex-Muslim?

(Read 63095 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 34 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Why Do You Self Identity As Ex-Muslim?
     Reply #60 - December 21, 2012, 09:48 PM

KSHAH, now you're asking a totally different thing, or at least most of us apparently misunderstood your original question. Ex-Muslim is just one of the hobbies we have, in many other regards we are very different from each other. I know someone here likes soccer, while I regard any obsession with watching sports as idiotic. I have no clue if some of the vegetarian ex-muslims participate on ex-meateatarians forums and have no clue how they identify themselves there. Then we have nationalities, people often notice my accent and ask where I am from, then I identify myself as being from a certain place or ethnic background. People have all kinds of identities. Importance of ex-muslim identity fades with time (as more time passes after apostasy generally people preoccupy themselves more with other interests), then circumstances also decide how much contact one has with islam and muslims. It's just a place here like any place for people with a hobby.

"That it is indeed the speech of an illustrious messenger" (The Koran 69:40)
     Reply #61 - December 21, 2012, 09:53 PM

............... if anyone is interested you can read a related stuff from Ahmadiyya Muslim literature on www.alislam.org.

pleas read  Quran  read hadith.. and read

http://www.alislam.org/library/impostor.html

http://www.alislam.org/library/lekh-ram.htm

infact read everything from here

and i am glad to read you mr. Shah

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #62 - December 22, 2012, 02:07 PM

Re KShah_KE
     I don’t think he’s trolling, but I do think he’s being rather obtuse on the essential question.
    This is one way of putting it.
     Reply #63 - December 23, 2012, 10:54 AM

Yeah, that works only when you have a clean break, then you can just "move on" to something and forget about your stupid ex. Occasionally though your ex is a psycho that finds ways to stay in your life and you can't completely ignore them. (For slow people: the psycho-ex I am talking about here is Al-Islam)

Baller.

Rather be forgotten than remembered for giving in.
     Reply #64 - December 23, 2012, 07:01 PM

Not sure what that means PT, but I ave a related question: why when I get a woman pregnant people stroke her tummy and say "congratulations", but they don't stroke my balls and say "good job"?

Reply #65 - December 23, 2012, 07:48 PM

Cheesy Cheesy It's discrimination I tells ya!

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #66 - December 23, 2012, 07:59 PM

Not sure what that means PT, but I ave a related question: why when I get a woman pregnant people stroke her tummy and say "congratulations", but they don't stroke my balls and say "good job"?

Cheesy Cheesy It's discrimination I tells ya!

look at these two guys..  one jokes other guy laughs..

women suffer  all sorts of troubles  being   pregnant  ..nausea, throwing up.. physical ..physiological troubles and some times even psychological abuse   and these guys joke and laugh  finmad

you know what .,    you two.. "Alif ..alex... and Osama" ..    when you two guys get pregnant,, i will pay some nurse(MALE NURSE)  to come to your place and squeeze your balls  until you start screaming.. finmad

Reply #67 - December 24, 2012, 03:12 AM

I'll make you a deal yeezee that you can't refuse: stay far away from the threads I visit and I won't call you out on that not so well hidden gay fantasy you have for fondling Oman's testicles. I won't even tell your wife about it if you behave.

Reply #68 - December 24, 2012, 03:23 AM

Cheesy
     Reply #69 - April 01, 2014, 06:28 PM

Although I don't define myself as a ex of label someone else gave me the reason I can see why it's done is to raise awareness of serious violent threats faced for leaving cults and so other who have left an islamic upbringing/belief know there are many other in their shoes and they are not alone.
     Reply #70 - June 19, 2016, 04:10 PM

The reason why I personally identify as an ex muslim is because I've experienced the loneliness of being one. I think that people, especially muslims, should know that it's ok to leave islam and some do, do it. I think islam deserves to be criticized, and I find that people don't take me as seriously when they don't know I'm an ex muslim.

Being an ex muslim is not the same as being say, an atheist (which I am) alone. It comes with a whole host of difficulties and experiences in life that we have in common. It comes with a personalized hardship of its own. That's why for me, it's not enough to say that I'm an atheist. I feel that I have to let people know my experience so that others like me can benefit. There have been several times when people have asked me (those who knew I am an ex muslim) why I have to hide. That and the fact that there are nearly no outlets for people like me make me think that our voices need to be heard.

I remember I wrote on the toilet stall in university "are there any other ex muslims in this school?". Someone scratched it out (there were tons of other nonsense written on the stalls of that bathroom). We are being censored.
     Reply #71 - June 19, 2016, 05:22 PM

I remember I wrote on the toilet stall in university "are there any other ex muslims in this school?". Someone scratched it out (there were tons of other nonsense written on the stalls of that bathroom). We are being censored.

This is an EXCELLENT idea!! Shame it was scratched out, hope you over wrote it as it'd be more permanent on a scratched surface Wink
     Reply #72 - June 19, 2016, 05:29 PM

This is an EXCELLENT idea!! Shame it was scratched out, hope you over wrote it as it'd be more permanent on a scratched surface Wink

Lol I think that wouldn't be a bad idea. I've also considered anonymously writing to the university news paper too.
     Reply #73 - June 19, 2016, 05:48 PM

The toilet wall is good because it's an act of rebellion in itself. Just that question. Imagine the effect it could have if people - doubting Muslims - kept seeing it whenever they use the toilets. Especially if the messages are being removed repeatedly.
     Reply #74 - June 19, 2016, 10:06 PM

I'm from a Muslim culture and Islam is an integral part of me, I do not like this term "ex-muslim", I do not like to indentify myself to him, I'm really uncomfortable, I'm Muslim and prefer this label.
     Reply #75 - July 03, 2016, 10:18 PM

Nice Smiley
     Reply #76 - July 03, 2016, 11:19 PM

I'm from a Muslim culture and Islam is an integral part of me, I do not like this term "ex-muslim", I do not like to indentify myself to him, I'm really uncomfortable, I'm Muslim and prefer this label.

What do you not like about the term "ex-Muslim"?

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #77 - July 04, 2016, 10:58 PM

What do you not like about the term "ex-Muslim"?

Religion constitutes an essential element of the cultural heritage and national identity. You should know that in a Muslim majority country, beliefs are so deeply rooted in the mentalities that religious beliefs merge together with the collective identity and every aspect of social life.

So despite the fact that I'm a skeptical atheist, I see more Islam as a cultural heritage rather than a religion, that's why I have trouble with the word "ex", although technically I am one. That is all the dilemma and paradox.
     Reply #78 - July 05, 2016, 12:04 AM

I see. I would tend to disagree with you, although I respect your nuanced position.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #79 - July 05, 2016, 07:12 AM

At this moment I have distanced myself from the label "Ex-muslim" for the same reason I have distance myself from Atheist/Agnostic. At best I can only describe myself as Cultural Muslim or Apatheist if needed be but on the other hand I'm just somebody with lot of diverse beliefs drawn from different philosophies hence why I feel I'm beyond being labelled as ex-muslim.

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #80 - July 05, 2016, 12:18 PM

I think it's a bit sad that you would feel that way, probably due to the already fast appropriation of the term that is beginning, just as has happened with Atheist.

In reality, both ex-Muslim and Atheist/Agnostic are by definition very broad terms, which should be able to exist without significant connotation, but I guess that's only in theory.

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #81 - July 05, 2016, 03:34 PM

Label baggage is unavoidable as long as opposing views are not shouted down as each claims a right to define what someone not part of their subjective interpretative group actually is. Avoid letting people make statements such as X is this or that while encouraging a dialogue and questions. This applies to those within and outside of the group. Be it Dawkins or the Caliph of IS. "Dawkins says atheists believe/think/whatever X" "The Caliph says Muslims believe/think/whatever X"
     Reply #82 - July 17, 2016, 06:13 PM

At this moment I have distanced myself from the label "Ex-muslim" for the same reason I have distance myself from Atheist/Agnostic. At best I can only describe myself as Cultural Muslim or Apatheist if needed be but on the other hand I'm just somebody with lot of diverse beliefs drawn from different philosophies hence why I feel I'm beyond being labelled as ex-muslim.

I like this.

The unreligion, only one calorie
     Reply #83 - July 17, 2016, 11:00 PM

Because It's easier to say that Im an.ex-muslim, than saying:

"Well, I was indoctrinated into Islam. I was raised into the belief that Islam  was pure and full of goodness, so I wasnt really a muslim by choice.
     I did not really leave Islam, but realized that these arent my thoughts and beliefs etc..."

Reply #84 - August 16, 2016, 04:07 PM

Because It's easier to say that Im an.ex-muslim, than saying:

"Well, I was indoctrinated into Islam. I was raised into the belief that Islam  was pure and full of goodness, so I wasnt really a muslim by choice.
     I did not really leave Islam, but realized that these arent my thoughts and beliefs etc..."

look at that.,   so wonderful to read  that from INcePtion.. She literally grew up on CEMB forum now she is ready to answer critical questions  to this damn world.,  and the question was

A question that comes up with some regularity is: “Why do you identify yourselves as Ex-Muslims?”

on that question and answer  let me add this news link on Pakistan's Independence day.. The August 14th...Indian are late  by one day...  well Indians are always late ., Late for meeting ., late for eating and late for waking up   Cheesy anyways  let us read  7 trials of being a Muslim in our times  and that is from SULEMAN AKHTAR ..

"How do you guys celebrate new year in Pakistan in line with Islamic principles?” a very learned German friend of mine asked me last New Year’s Eve in Sweden.

Coming from a person well-versed in history and contemporary politics, the question took me by surprise.

I immediately wanted to explain to him that not everything that happens in Pakistan is linked to Islam, but I held back.

One.   one is always a Muslim. Period. The absence of religious freedom in most Muslim societies makes it next to impossible for one to deviate from the written and unwritten rules of behaving in a 'Muslim way'.

Quite ironically, one is always a Muslim in Western liberal societies as well, even if he/she proclaims to be not-very-religious, non-religious, or an outright atheist. They have a word for it: “ex-Muslims”.

One is expected to recall, delineate and enlighten the world as to how one is not-so-Muslim, having come from a Muslim background.

The question reminded me of Islamic banking, television commercials of Shariah-compliant products, Ramazan transmissions aired by several Pakistani TV channels and many other modern-day ostentatious spectacles which invariably drag religion into everything.

And I realized he was probably justified in asking that.

As a Muslim, owing to many political, social, and historical reasons, one may land up in the most absurd situations even if one applies common sense.

well that is the first one and there are six more to read.,if you like to read go and click the link ..lol..

Reply #85 - August 16, 2016, 05:15 PM

anyways  let us read  7 trials of being a Muslim in our times  and that is from SULEMAN AKHTAR ..

well that is the first one and there are six more to read.,if you like to read go and click the link ..lol..

Top article yeez. Good find.  Afro

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #86 - August 18, 2016, 09:43 PM

look at that.,   so wonderful to read  that from INcePtion.. She literally grew up on CEMB forum now she is ready to answer critical questions  to this damn world.,  and the question was

on that question and answer  let me add this news link on Pakistan's Independence day.. The August 14th...Indian are late  by one day...  well Indians are always late ., Late for meeting ., late for eating and late for waking up   Cheesy anyways  let us read  7 trials of being a Muslim in our times  and that is from SULEMAN AKHTAR ..

I will never be ready to answer critical questions. I simply dont care at this point.

These labels, these associations look good on a forum but in reality, I wouldnt go out of my way telling people who I am.

Im far too many things to be labeled lol

And honestly, they never tell you the whole story about a person.

Reply #87 - August 18, 2016, 11:45 PM

asbie
    World's Worst Philosopher
    Poster of the Month

Yup, I think that says just about everything there is to know about me, right Inception? Grin

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #88 - August 19, 2016, 02:28 PM

asbie
    World's Worst Philosopher
    Poster of the Month

Yup, I think that says just about everything there is to know about me, right Inception? Grin

Yeah,  I think that's all there is to asbgyfgtdfrtgfxde.  Tongue
     Reply #89 - August 19, 2016, 06:50 PM

Yeah, well we should give you the custom title "Cutie Patootie", and then I think that would be all there is to Inception  nyanya

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • Previous page 1 2 34 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »