Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 12:17 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Some men are part of the problem !

(Read 11898 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 34 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Some men are part of the problem !
     Reply #60 - December 06, 2012, 03:44 PM

Please expand further.

Sexism toward women has been an issue for decades, especially within the frame of society as molded by religious and theological teachings. It ties into wage gaps as defined by gender, sexual double standards that women are subject to, the idea of motherhood being stigmatized, the presence of rape culture, etc.

I can think of many social norms that men are subjected to.

Of course you can. If you didn't, you wouldn't have a culture in which to exist. The defining point here is that men don't have social stigmas attached to simply existing as just that.

Besides, why are you fussed about 'social norms'?

Because I think that men, women and every gender in between shouldn't be defined by negative characteristics by bitter people with nothing better to complain about.

And here we have someone actually trying to rationalise misandry. I wonder how your response would be if someone tried to rationalise misogyny in this manner?

Please show me, by any account, some statistical, historical, institutional and/or systemic versions of misandry as examined by scientific examination. Hold off on accounts of false rape cries, complaints about anyone who strung anyone else along and broke their heart by not going out with them, or anyone who claims to be a "nice guy" giving a monologue about how women are evil bitches.

Stats about wage disparity as attributed to gender discrimination:
    "But industry doesn't tell the whole story. Women earned less than men in all 20 industries and 25 occupation groups surveyed by the Census Bureau in 2007 — even in fields in which their numbers are overwhelming. Female secretaries, for instance, earn just 83.4% as much as male ones. And those who pick male-dominated fields earn less than men too: female truck drivers, for instance, earn just 76.5% of the weekly pay of their male counterparts. Perhaps the most compelling — and potentially damning — data of all to suggest that gender has an influence comes from a 2008 study in which University of Chicago sociologist Kristen Schilt and NYU economist Matthew Wiswall examined the wage trajectories of people who underwent a sex change. Their results: even when controlling for factors like education, men who transitioned to women earned, on average, 32% less after the surgery. Women who became men, on the other hand, earned 1.5% more."

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1983185,00.html

"I know where I'm going and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want."
    Muhammad Ali
     Reply #61 - December 06, 2012, 03:51 PM

Short read on understanding the wage gap, published 2011: http://www.aauw.org/learn/research/upload/simpletruthaboutpaygap1.pdf

U.S. state-by-state rankings: http://www.aauw.org/learn/research/upload/state-by-state-wage-chart.pdf

"I know where I'm going and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want."
    Muhammad Ali
     Reply #62 - December 06, 2012, 04:30 PM

No, but you are more likely to get a promotion or move higher up in the organisation as a man. Also less likely to face discrimination or harrassment.

That's not the same as what you initially started the argument about. One minute its pay, and net minute its promotion. I mean who does these so called statistics? We have laws in the UK again gender discrimination, there are actually bodies which investigate this. Sometimes, stastics don't take into consideration skill sets, if a man has more skills at a particular job, then you're going to put a man in that role, your not going to put a woman in that role just because she is a woman, and before you say its because of discrimination, that's (largely absolute bull) since really organizations want to make money and profit so they always want the best person for the job, there not sitting there conspiring against women.

Maybe if folks didn't spend too much time reading outdated shit, they'd actually see that woman's wages are actually rising faster then men's. It is narrowing the gender pay gap. I mean the gender pay gap is less the %10 were splitting hairs here, and this is on fulltime, many things come into play here, stuff like maternity leave, womens issues etc.  

In fact in part-time work, women earn more then men in the UK. So the Gender pay gap theory because of sexist mens not paying women enough is really a myth. It's actually that sometimes women are choosing jobs which don't really get them up to their earning potential. Just relying on stastics is not a good way to understand the real issue of discrimination. It's bollocks.

correlation does not imply causation.
     Reply #63 - December 06, 2012, 05:04 PM

Where did that 10% come from?

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #64 - December 06, 2012, 05:11 PM

Where did that 10% come from?

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp29904_288163.pdf
    http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/mro/news-release/gender-pay-gap-falls-to-9-6--in-2012/ashe1112.html
     Reply #65 - December 06, 2012, 05:52 PM

I don't get it. Why does it say 9.6% difference, but then goes on to say 19.7%?

• Some men are part of the problem !
     Reply #66 - December 07, 2012, 12:12 PM

I don't get it. Why does it say 9.6% difference, but then goes on to say 19.7%?

OK let me try and break it down for you...

There is a proportional diff, between who work full-time and part-time, more men work-full time compared to women, it is a small percentage I believe (don't have the percentages to hand). However, in part-time work about a similar percentage margin is reversed, i.e. in this case more women work part time compared to men, so because part-time workers (on average) get paid less then full-time this affects the overall pay gender gap but the affect is due to the type of work, as opposed to discrimination, which some pro-feminists argue.

Out of the adult working population, I believe about 45 percent of men work full-time, and about 30 percents women work full-time, about 20 percent women work part-time and about 5 percent men work part-time, these are rough figures so don't quote me on them, however I don't believe they are totally skewed or anything.

Oh, and the 19 percentage you're confused about is, basically the median (you have to be careful about median and means here) hourly pay for both part-time and full-time percentage combined. And the mean for all employees has decreased to 19 percent.  
     Reply #67 - December 07, 2012, 12:28 PM

Do you think, if it really was discrimination that it would be equally bad for women across the board not just in full-time work? Shall men start claiming on the part-time work gap between men and women, where stats show women are earning more then men in part-time work? The reality is that there are too many idiots to jump on the white knight bandwagon without actually understanding the data or looking at it. They make the basic fallacy of correlation. Seriously even guys on here talk much ass crap. I think they think pretending to be a champion for women rights will somehow make women drop their panties for them.
     Reply #68 - December 07, 2012, 12:40 PM

I think they think pretending to be a champion for women rights will somehow make women drop their panties for them.

Cheesy

Hey, dont look at me, im just enjoying the show. Debate ain't my strong suit popcorn

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #69 - December 07, 2012, 12:50 PM

...................Seriously even guys on here talk much ass crap. I think they think pretending to be a champion for women rights will somehow make women drop their panties for them.

Cheesy

Hey, dont look at me, im just enjoying the show. .................. popcorn

Sure Cato sure.. you are always   looking for pantie drop with  popcorn  in hand ..

So King Tut my Lord.. what do we do in this forum?  ..  should we Champion  Men Rights? ..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #70 - December 07, 2012, 01:04 PM

So King Tut my Lord.. what do we do in this forum?  ..  should we Champion  Men Rights? ..

If we claim are so called rationalists and ex-Muslims and Islam and Muslims are so dopey that's why we left Islam, and at least keep your shit consistent. Just because someone's not a Muslim does not mean they don't talk half shit at time. It just amazed me and pisses me off because we are supposed to be smarter then that, I don't know what you should champion, but if I really wanted to tell you, what to champion you'll not get it, champion me understand what I say, believe in what I say and don't question me, because I know what I am talking about.
     Reply #71 - December 07, 2012, 01:10 PM

The reality is that there are too many idiots to jump on the white knight bandwagon without actually understanding the data or looking at it. They make the basic fallacy of correlation. Seriously even guys on here talk much ass crap. I think they think pretending to be a champion for women rights will somehow make women drop their panties for them.

Cheesy Cheesy  Salut monsieur .At least you won't be accused of being a woman hater or a misogynist ! Wink

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #72 - December 07, 2012, 01:23 PM

If we claim are so called rationalists and ex-Muslims and Islam and Muslims are so dopey that's why we left Islam, and at least keep your shit consistent[ yes yes yes]. Just because someone's not a Muslim does not mean they don't talk half shit at time. It just amazed me and pisses me off because we are supposed to be smarter then that, I don't know what you should champion, but if I really wanted to tell you, what to champion you'll not get it, champion me understand what I say, believe in what I say and don't question me, because I know what I am talking about.

Afro Afro Afro   This is so refreshing !

You make it sound like as if it's a criminal act ! Just champion HUMAN RIGHTS. BTW isn't human rights inclusive enough to include all human beings? Don't we have enough divisions in the world that we have to keep on adding to them ?

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Reply #73 - December 07, 2012, 01:41 PM

Do you think, if it really was discrimination that it would be equally bad for women across the board not just in full-time work? Shall men start claiming on the part-time work gap between men and women, where stats show women are earning more then men in part-time work? The reality is that there are too many idiots to jump on the white knight bandwagon without actually understanding the data or looking at it. They make the basic fallacy of correlation. Seriously even guys on here talk much ass crap. I think they think pretending to be a champion for women rights will somehow make women drop their panties for them.

It's interesting that you think 9.6% gender wage difference in full-time work is nothing to complain about. It's interesting that you think "but women do better as part-time workers!" is some kind of compensation.

It's also interesting that you lecture people on committing a fallacy of correlation, while with the same breath extrapolate a huge steaming pile of conjecture from a brief non-detailed news release barely a few lines long. Probably the most favourable one you selected from a quick google search.

Did I say interesting? I meant fucking stupid.

Reply #74 - December 07, 2012, 01:50 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/christina-hoff-sommers/wage-gap_b_2073804.html

http://www.consad.com/content/reports/Gender%20Wage%20Gap%20Final%20Report.pdf

....As a result, it is not possible now, and doubtless will never be possible, to determine reliably whether
    any portion of the observed gender wage gap is not attributable to factors that compensate women and
    men  differently  on  socially  acceptable  bases,  and  hence  can  confidently  be  attributed  to  overt
    discrimination against women. In addition, at a practical level, the complex combination of factors that
    collectively determine the wages paid to different individuals makes the formulation of policy that will
    reliably  redress  any  overt  discrimination  that  does  exist  a  task  that  is,  at  least,  daunting  and,  more
    likely, unachievable.

Thomas Paine

Reply #75 - December 07, 2012, 01:57 PM

All of these articles concede there is a wage gap.

Also, you guys ought to get your heads together and decide which statistics you're gonna use before you start high-fiving each other.,

Reply #76 - December 07, 2012, 02:02 PM

If we claim are so called rationalists and ex-Muslims and Islam and Muslims are so dopey that's why we left Islam, and at least keep your shit consistent. Just because someone's not a Muslim does not mean they don't talk half shit at time. It just amazed me and pisses me off because we are supposed to be smarter then that, I don't know what you should champion,

King you are really upset for some reason...

but if I really wanted to tell you, what to champion you'll not get it, "champion me understand what I say, believe in what I say and don't question me, because I know what I am talking about."

Hmm.,  That sounds really good Tut.. Did you take that from Quran? or did you get the new revelation to day morning? 

"yes.. .   " every one should champion me  &  understand what I   say and Never Question Me.. " ..Prophet King Tut..

Reply #77 - December 07, 2012, 02:04 PM

Afro Afro Afro   This is so refreshing !You make it sound like as if it's a criminal act !     Just champion HUMAN RIGHTS. BTW isn't human rights inclusive enough to include all human beings? Don't we have enough divisions in the world that we have to keep on adding to them ?

I know Hypo ..That guy King Tut makes it sound so criminal .. Sure you are appalled ...

Reply #78 - December 07, 2012, 06:39 PM

Dis gun' be good.
    Yes, as far as statistics are concerned.

Exactly and if you take the statistics only at face value then you reach that conclusion.

However if you analyse them, you find out that the 'gender wage gap' is merely a myth.

This video explains it all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwogDPh-Sow&feature=player_embedded

But I will still point out the important facts from it (The sources are in the video though):

- Men tend to study those subjects which tend to pay higher than the subjects women study. Men tend to study subjects like Mathematics, Physics, Engineering ect as opposed to women who tend more towards sociology, English Literature ect. The jobs for both graduates are different of course, and since society values the former more than the latter this also means that the pay is higher.

- Women tend to get more part time jobs as opposed to full time jobs. In most cases, part time jobs pay less than full time jobs, even for the same position. Men tend to go for full time jobs as opposed to part time jobs.

- Women take more time off than men to raise children. This plays a very big part in the 'wage gap'. I think this is perhaps the biggest factor  as to why there exists a 'gender-gap'. There are also many indirect factors linking to this too [ie women working part time, or women not trying to get into jobs which could affect their ability to have children in the future, these jobs also tend to be quite high paying].

- Men tend to work more dangerous jobs which of course tend to pay more [builders, for example].

I also somewhere that in the 'wage gap' research they  tend to use stay-at-home mums to drag down the income of women. I will try to find the source for this.  Also this is an economics professor who has no specific bias and has used sources to prove his points. I'd much rather trust an unbiased, professional source as opposed to obviously biased sources from feminists who have no clue how economics/businesses operate.

In fact here is evidence that single women earn more than men:
    http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,2015274,00.html

Of course you never hear feminists talking about turning this deficit, which is why feminism should be vehemently opposed, since it only focuses on one gender, and completely ignores the other.

It's so easy to understand when you use logic.

Obviously feminism has nothing to do with logic.

'As well as earning less for doing the same jobs, women still have to climb a much steeper slope than men to reach the top, the CMI figures show.

For while career women account for 57% of the professional workforce, just 40% are department heads and 25% are chief executives, says the CMI.'

The above pretty much explains why this isn't true. Correlation=/= causation.

God dammit, we're on an ex-muslim forum yet I'm having to go through simple logic.

Do you believe discrimination against ethnic minorities is also a lie?

I'm an ethnic minority and yes I do believe it's almost a complete lie and blown WAAAAAAY out of proportion. I've known many people of different race, genders, religion secure internships at top banks in the City at my course. Obviously this doesn't mean that they've got the jobs on lock, but it still takes a lot of effort/commitment to get internships at the top banks. My personal experience and common business sense tell that there is no logical reason for businesses to discriminate against genders/race since they are the ones who ultimately lose out.

Obviously I don't expect there to be any logic/rationale in feminism.
    [/quote]
    Wage disparity between the genders is an undeniable fact. Men get paid more than women on average = fact. You can find this out with 10 mins on google if it wasn't already obvious to you.

I just destroyed that argument above. Ta-ta.

In the meantime, a quite interesting article about gender bias in the sciences:

Bias Persists for Women of Science, a Study Finds

Link to the actual study mentioned in the article: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences: Science faculty’s subtle gender biases favor male students

Firstly, the study is only conducted at USA universities. Therefore, we cannot extend this to all universities around the world.

Secondly, the wage gap between the two offered salaries is just over 10%. Although it's pretty decent difference it isn't as substantial to suggest that it's solely because of the fact that one application was from a woman and one from a man. There's many different pay gaps within genders.

And there of course needs to be more evidence/research from unbiased researchers, apart from one study, to have strong proof that there is sexism against women in regards to academic research.
    [/quote]
    . It ties into wage gaps as defined by gender,

Sorry there isn't a wage gap. It's a myth. Ta-ta.
    sexual double standards that women are subject to,

Which men are subjected to as well, lest we forget.
    the idea of motherhood being stigmatized,

Wut? How can the survival of our species be stigmatised? Strong logic.

the presence of rape culture

Rape is a very serious crime in most parts of the world. I don't get what you're saying here. Rape is never encouraged anywhere in the world, which is what you're implying by saying there is a rape 'culture'.

The defining point here is that men don't have social stigmas attached to simply existing as just that.

Oh really? Well we'll find out later on in this post.
    Because I think that men, women and every gender in between shouldn't be defined by negative characteristics by bitter people with nothing better to complain about.

Such as feminists.
    Please show me, by any account, some statistical, historical, institutional and/or systemic versions of misandry as examined by scientific examination

OK let's discuss current legislation for family courts in the Western world. Remember, this has more consequences than just 'social norms' since these laws actually affect the standard of living on men and women. These are laws for which people can be persecuted for by the state. No one will punish you for not following 'social norms'.

OK firstly let's start off with child custody:

''meaning that one in three children – around 3.8 million – is living with their father absent from their lives. Just 8% of single parents in Britain are fathers living with their children, according to the Office for National Statistics.''
    [source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2012/feb/03/divorced-fathers-children-custody-access]

Thank God the legislation has been changed here in the UK, we'll see how this turns out in due time. Unfortunately this is not the case elsewhere in the Western world, where women are continuously given bias in the decision of child custodies.

Also more evidence of bias:

''1. "Judicial child custody decisions as a function of social and emotional deviation of the mother", Ph.D. thesis of Gisele Kehl, Hofstra University, 1983. A survey containing various hypothetical child custody cases was circulated to 162 judges across the US. It was found that when both parents were emotionally, socially and morally fit, the mother received custody l00% of the time. A career woman was not less likely to become the custodian than a traditional mother. It was also found that emotional instability was more detrimental to a litigating mother.

2. "Judges’ decision-making in child custody: An analogue study", Ph.D. thesis of Martin Goldstein, University of Arizona, 1983. In a survey of judges given various hypothetical child-custody cases, a significant bias favoring the mothers was found. Mothers were more likely than fathers to receive sole custody awards by a ratio of 3:2.''

[source: http://www.electromagnetism.demon.co.uk/08094.htm]

Obviously you'll never see feminists campaigning for equal rights in this regards.

Let's now take a look at custodial awards:

''79.6% of custodial mothers receive a support award
    29.9% of custodial fathers receive a support award''

[source: http://deltabravo.net/cms/plugins/content/content.php?content.284]

Obviously on that last source there are a ton of statistics which ALL favour women. I've never seen a feminist even raise a question as to why such a clear show of inequality is going on in family courts.

Hmmm... I wonder....
    Hold off on accounts of false rape cries, complaints about anyone who strung anyone else along and broke their heart by not going out with them

Are you trying to justify false rape cries here? Well wouldn't be surprised if you are, it's feminist logic after all..

Stats about wage disparity as attributed to gender discrimination:
    "But industry doesn't tell the whole story. Women earned less than men in all 20 industries and 25 occupation groups surveyed by the Census Bureau in 2007 — even in fields in which their numbers are overwhelming. Female secretaries, for instance, earn just 83.4% as much as male ones. And those who pick male-dominated fields earn less than men too: female truck drivers, for instance, earn just 76.5% of the weekly pay of their male counterparts. Perhaps the most compelling — and potentially damning — data of all to suggest that gender has an influence comes from a 2008 study in which University of Chicago sociologist Kristen Schilt and NYU economist Matthew Wiswall examined the wage trajectories of people who underwent a sex change. Their results: even when controlling for factors like education, men who transitioned to women earned, on average, 32% less after the surgery. Women who became men, on the other hand, earned 1.5% more."

Like I said, the gender-gap myth has been destroyed above.

Pls go.

[/quote]
    That's not the same as what you initially started the argument about. One minute its pay, and net minute its promotion. I mean who does these so called statistics? We have laws in the UK again gender discrimination, there are actually bodies which investigate this. Sometimes, stastics don't take into consideration skill sets, if a man has more skills at a particular job, then you're going to put a man in that role, your not going to put a woman in that role just because she is a woman, and before you say its because of discrimination, that's (largely absolute bull) since really organizations want to make money and profit so they always want the best person for the job, there not sitting there conspiring against women.

Maybe if folks didn't spend too much time reading outdated shit, they'd actually see that woman's wages are actually rising faster then men's. It is narrowing the gender pay gap. I mean the gender pay gap is less the %10 were splitting hairs here, and this is on fulltime, many things come into play here, stuff like maternity leave, womens issues etc.  

In fact in part-time work, women earn more then men in the UK. So the Gender pay gap theory because of sexist mens not paying women enough is really a myth. It's actually that sometimes women are choosing jobs which don't really get them up to their earning potential. Just relying on stastics is not a good way to understand the real issue of discrimination. It's bollocks.

correlation does not imply causation.

This. Absolutely took the words out of my mouth.
    OK let me try and break it down for you...

There is a proportional diff, between who work full-time and part-time, more men work-full time compared to women, it is a small percentage I believe (don't have the percentages to hand). However, in part-time work about a similar percentage margin is reversed, i.e. in this case more women work part time compared to men, so because part-time workers (on average) get paid less then full-time this affects the overall pay gender gap but the affect is due to the type of work, as opposed to discrimination, which some pro-feminists argue.

Out of the adult working population, I believe about 45 percent of men work full-time, and about 30 percents women work full-time, about 20 percent women work part-time and about 5 percent men work part-time, these are rough figures so don't quote me on them, however I don't believe they are totally skewed or anything.

Oh, and the 19 percentage you're confused about is, basically the median (you have to be careful about median and means here) hourly pay for both part-time and full-time percentage combined. And the mean for all employees has decreased to 19 percent.  

This.

And this.

Like I've said before, white knights make my blood boil.
    All of these articles concede there is a wage gap.

Also, you guys ought to get your heads together and decide which statistics you're gonna use before you start high-fiving each other.,

Reading comprehension, not even once.
     Reply #79 - December 07, 2012, 07:01 PM

popcorn

By the way, what exactly do you think "feminism" is?

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #80 - December 08, 2012, 12:33 AM

I'm not trying to be contentious or enter an argument or anything here but I've been hearing a lot about this wage gap and I'm curious. 

AFAIK, the argument isn't that women and men doing the exact same job are paid differently per se (eg: a male chaser gets paid the same $ per hour as a female cashier) but that on average men earn more because they ladder-climb quicker, easier and are promoted more often (due to sexism) hence there are more men in upper-management positions that pay higher. Is that correct? 

If that's the case I'm not buying it. This means a wage gap may exist because:

1.) There's a grand conspiracy amongst employers in multiple industries to send women back to the kitchen and pay them less. 

OR

2.) Men -- on average -- are more efficient/productive workers. By that, I mean they're less likely to take time off work to look after/have children and they're less likely to work less after having children hence more work > more promotions > more money.

I don't see any reason why businesses would deliberately promote men who aren't very good or aren't as good as competing women. Why would they want to pay more to sub-par workers? It sounds very conspiracy theory-esque to me.

I'm very open to being educated further, being proven wrong and having my mind changed so be nice  hiding
     Reply #81 - December 08, 2012, 02:02 AM

Criticize me all you want but i think all these modern feminist are only concern about being a victims rather than liberating and empowering themselves, The battle has been fought and won, FHS, we have women here in Nigeria that are serving as CEOs of National Banks,Corporations, Chief Justice of a Federal Supreme Court(Yes, it's a female,google it), Federal Ministers such as Finance,Petroluem,Education and others, and other important job in other areas. So really, What else? . I remember there is a female member here who was proud to admit that she earns more than her male colleagues, i cant remember which thread.

ZOMG, Those are very strong points you brought and kudos for a strong comeback. Let's see how this would end popcorn

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #82 - December 08, 2012, 03:29 AM

No, you're right, you win, I no longer believe in racism or sexism or ageism or any other forms of discrimination when it comes to employment practices.

That, or I've spent my morning looking up employment discrimination and realised I don't want to waste time on bigots.

Well done sir.

"Nobody who lived through the '50s thought the '60s could've existed. So there's always hope."-Tuli Kupferberg

What apple stores are like.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8QmZWv-eBI
     Reply #83 - December 08, 2012, 03:48 AM

Roll Eyes

Reply #84 - December 08, 2012, 03:49 AM

Yep. Anecdotal evidence and speculations based on right-wing think tank funded agents prove it: racism and sexism are over. In fact no bigotry or discrimination exists anywhere at all. Nothing to worry about. Time to rejoice. Ignore any research or evidence that may be upsetting.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #85 - December 08, 2012, 04:01 AM

Anyone who cares at all about academic statistics rather than 'ermagerd, I know so many black people and womenz with good jerbs' can read Longhi and Platt, but of course, they are women so this report must be a lie in favour of the feminists

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/uploaded_files/pay_gaps_accross_equalities_areas.pdf

A few news articles with Qualitive studies for those of a more anecdotal nature

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/oct/18/racism-discrimination-employment-undercover
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/9070027/Recruiters-have-racial-bias-claims-report.html

Equality and Human rights commission's latest study 'How fair is Britain?'

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/uploaded_files/triennial_review/tr_execsumm.pdf
    (Supporting Evidence) http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/key-projects/how-fair-is-britain/full-report-and-evidence-downloads/
    (In simple English) http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/uploaded_files/triennial_review/easyread_how_fair_is_britain.pdf

I don't know about you, but I prefer academic/institutional analyses and reports as opposed to 'I know so many ethnic minorities/women in high positions of power'.

Also, you can find similar reports and statistics in pretty much any western country, I've focused on Britain but there is even more evidence in America for example.

"Nobody who lived through the '50s thought the '60s could've existed. So there's always hope."-Tuli Kupferberg

Reply #86 - December 08, 2012, 04:10 AM

More non-anecdotal stuff to ignore:

2012 Salary Survey
    MySalaryCalculator.co.uk asked users to confirm their current salary as part of a survey focused on the gender pay gap in the UK. Using the data of 4,578 participants (2,571 male and 2,007 female), the survey found that with almost certainty (99.5%) males can expect to earn typically between £4,907 and £7,491 more than females. The analysis of the survey was completed by Dr David Fishwick, head of mathematics at Bradford Grammar School.

Infographic: The Gender Pay Gap
    See What Inequity in Earnings Costs Women and Their Families Each Year and Over Their Lifetimes
    ^(Written by a person presumably owning a penis, therefore it must be true)

Yes, Virginia, There Is a Gender Wage Gap
    Bryce Covert
    ^(this one written by someone with a vagina but a name that is androgynous, apologies for the confusion. It contains studies that are probably some of them done by persons owning penises, so may have some truth in there)

The Ambition Myth: Debunking a Common Excuse for the Gender Wage Gap
    ^No author credited. Could be either true or not, see if it fits with your preconceived notions based on arbitrary anecdotes.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #87 - December 08, 2012, 04:20 AM

By the way, in case anyone is feeling out of place here because people believe in racism and discrimination against women or anyone else, the telegraph seems to have a good discussion group on the article. Here are some of the top comments:

spiu
    02/09/2012 01:56 AM

Why does anybody think that racial bias is not a purely natural phenomenon? It is human nature to want to favour your own kind and not amount of legislation is going to change that.

If you want an equivalent example: as a white person, try applying for permanent residence in the UK where virtually all the immigration staff are non white. You have almost no chance, irrespective of your rights and qualification.
     Recommended by 60 people

GaryFitton
    02/09/2012 04:37 AM

So how come according to recent figures immigrants are taking most new jobs? If you want to see inequality in action try getting a public sector job as a white male. You have no chance as the racist, sexist, ageist equality campaigners insist you are priviliged and therefore not employable. Equality my arse!!!!
     Recommended by 58 people
     finmtl
    02/09/2012 01:18 PM

I always favor my ethnic group.

I also prefer living  in an area that's 99% my ethnic group as well.

Recommended by 46 people
    Recommend

02/13/2012 02:58 PM

Agreed. I like meeting other races, creeds and experiencing other cultures, et cetera.

I just don't want to live with them.
     Recommended by 0 person
    Recommend

SamChuckie
    02/09/2012 02:50 PM

Disgusting.

BT actively promotes racism against white people as do these  racist 'diversity' freaks seeking to deprive better qualified individuals of employment on the basis of their race.

Funny how ethnic minorities don't feel the slightest need to employ white people because yet again racism towards whites is rampant and socially acceptable in a 'politically correct' cess pool.

Recommended by 43 people
    Recommend

newcastlenil
    02/09/2012 04:14 AM

If they fail to get a job because they can't speak the language that's lack of an essential skill, not racism.
     Recommended by 43 people
    Recommend

GaryFitton
    02/09/2012 04:40 AM

Yes and from above stating they may need help completing the application form. If they need help then bin it. Just like if a CV contains spelling mistakes it hits the bin irrelevent of the name on the top.
     Recommended by 32 people
    Recommend

wuffothewonderdog
    02/09/2012 11:04 AM

Mayor Livingstone favoured black people when recruiting for his mayoral team that spent our money on black community groups. But it isn't racist if it is white people being excluded, is it?
     Recommended by 38 people
    Recommend

derekemery
    02/09/2012 08:27 AM

If this is true then how come last year 500,000 residents lost their jobs but 300,000 immigrants have gained jobs here? Some small companies in the Midlands are now virtually 100% Polish employees. If you are not a Polish speaker you will not be taken on.

Dave_Jones
    02/09/2012 08:31 AM

Indeed there is racial bias! I am disgusted by my inability to get a job at a Chinese or Indian restaurant, in a rap group, a professional football team or any of a hundred jobs where being white and British is a disadvantage.
    I see the report was written by a Ms Kerr (which somehow says it all. Was her name Wayne before the operation?)

Recommended by 21 people
    Recommend

vs12
    02/10/2012 06:33 AM

Good. Enoch was right! Rivers of blood to come one day.
     Recommended by 20 people
    Recommend

paulsp
    02/10/2012 06:05 PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/9070027/Recruiters-have-racial-bias-claims-report.html

Seems like a good place for discussion. Just one tip, try not to mention that you aren't white, or if you do, start with this sentence: ''I'm not white but I totally disagree with the article, I'm, proud to be British and I fight for my country, I eat sausages and spit on Muslims, God Save the Queen!''

Just a friendly recommendation.

Anyway, I'm done with this thread, I never should have gotten involved anyway. Enjoy.

Reply #88 - December 09, 2012, 07:30 AM

Yep. Anecdotal evidence and speculations based on right-wing think tank funded agents prove it: racism and sexism are over. In fact no bigotry or discrimination exists anywhere at all. Nothing to worry about. Time to rejoice. Ignore any research or evidence that may be upsetting.

Yup, the next time when a female gets a job or a promotion with a wage lower than her male colleagues,she should stay in one corner moan,bitch and cry about how men are sexist and all that rather than fight for what she deserves.

I knew you were going to resort to sarcasm obviously Tongue

Reply #89 - December 09, 2012, 07:45 AM

Gender bias in the workplace is just a myth. A lie perpetuated by lazy, venomous, hairy-armpit, megaphone-wielding, feminazi bulldykes.

The wage disparity between the genders in full-time employment where qualifications, experience, ambition and ability are equal is because of the choices women make. It's their own personal choices that lead superiors to award them lower salary, grant them smaller bonuses, fewer promotions, and this YouTube video by Dr. Google Mansplainer, and my arbitrary and biased selection of bullet points, proves it beyond a shadow of a doubt. And occupational segregation has nothing to do with inherent sexism or anything like that either. This, too, is a result of women choosing. They choose to enter lower-paid fields and it's a well established fact that women do not work as hard or as long as a men do. And more women than men work in lower-paid lower-prospect part-time jobs, so why aren't we complaining about the lack of male representation in that area? Hypocrisy.

Women only have themselves to blame really, since there is no point in grooming an employee who is just going to get pregnant anyway.  It's only a matter of time before a women yields to the natural order and accepts her natural role as mother and home-maker. Also, there's that whole “women's issues” thing. That's bound to affect productivity. Moreover, women just suck at technical stuff, that's why men do those jobs. See this diagram for proof. You can't argue with biology and evolution. That's science, bitches.

Those reports about gender discrimination in the sciences are invalid here. They are situational and can't be used to draw any broader conclusions from. Let's instead extrapolate our entire reasoning and conclusions from a personal anecdote I have about my Aunt Gertrude who is right now in a well paid job and says she never experienced sexual discrimination in her life. If sexual discrimination allegedly exists, why didn't my Aunt Gertrude experience it? Logic, bitches. Consider your arguments demolished. WINNING.

• Previous page 1 2 34 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »