Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
April 16, 2024, 07:25 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Question for guys, has leaving Islam changed your attitudes towards women?

(Read 25296 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Question for guys, has leaving Islam changed your attitudes towards women?
     OP - November 30, 2012, 02:59 PM

Taking a survey, or thoughts. I like it when you guys share stories too.

Ok so has leaving Islam changed your views on how women should be treated. Obviously in Islam boys and men have more freedoms and privileges than women.

- Has your attitude towards the role of women changed? Or did you grow up where everyone was equal?
    - Did you have female siblings or relatives that you thought were being treated unfairly, growing up?
    - Did you ever question this and what were the justifications you got?
    - Do you think there will be difference with how you treat your wife, than when you were following Islam?(Such as demanding a certain dress, and involvement in finances etc.)
    - Did you ever encourage a woman in your family to do something she was prohibited to do under Islamic gender roles?

I'm asking this because I feel like the changing attitudes of Muslim men towards their dominance over women will ultimately determine how quickly and progressive Muslim women will be in future. And I'm just wondering if this is something that you have observed happening.  

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
  • Re: Question for guys, has leaving Islam changed your attitudes towards women?
     Reply #1 - November 30, 2012, 06:26 PM

Not really. I used to be called "Muslim male feminist" when I was a Muslim. Haha. I didnt get it. I have always been for gender equality.

That the principle which regulates the existing social relations between the two sexes — the legal subordination of one sex to the other — is wrong itself, and now one of the chief hindrances to human improvement; and that it ought to be replaced by a principle of perfect equality, admitting no power or privilege on the one side, nor disability on the other.

- "The Subjection of Women", (1869), J.S Mill

"Beauty is truth, truth beauty," - that is all
            Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.

- John Keats
  • Re: Question for guys, has leaving Islam changed your attitudes towards women?
     Reply #2 - November 30, 2012, 06:50 PM

- Has your attitude towards the role of women changed? Or did you grow up where everyone was equal?

I always believe in Women's rights even when i was a muslim and got chided for having those views,actually it was one of the main reasons why i left Islam

Did you have female siblings or relatives that you thought were being treated unfairly, growing up?

I wouldn't say my female siblings were treated unfairly, it was more like they were indoctrinated into believing that they are inferior to men and subservient to their husbands.Same goes for my relatives but some were treated unfairly ranging from abuse to denying their freedom rights.

Did you ever question this and what were the justifications you got?

Sorry, i dont get what you mean

Do you think there will be difference with how you treat your wife, than when you were following Islam?(Such as demanding a certain dress, and involvement in finances etc.)

I highly doubt it, because i have always wanted an independent minded women even when i was a muslim. I find that attractive.

-
    Did you ever encourage a woman in your family to do something she was prohibited to do under Islamic gender roles?

You betcha

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #3 - November 30, 2012, 08:14 PM

No, never really embraced the controlling nature of Islam/our culture has on women.

I got a lot of stick on Ummah.com for believing that a Muslimah should be allowed to decide whether she wants to work or study without needing the permission of her husband.

Reply #4 - November 30, 2012, 08:30 PM

Not really. I used to be called "Muslim male feminist" when I was a Muslim. Haha. I didnt get it. I have always been for gender equality.

- "The Subjection of Women", (1869), J.S Mill

then you never cared for Islamic rules. and ;laws.,  you were out of Islam even when you were a kid. You were questioning Islam without you knowing it...

So.. allah says ....   Your hell is much hotter than  any one's hell who left Islam.  

No, never really embraced the controlling nature of Islam/our culture has on women.

I got a lot of stick on Ummah.com for believing that a Muslimah should be allowed to decide whether she wants to work or study without needing the permission of her husband.

The Demba., I don't think you read the question properly .. Question is,
    Question for guys, has leaving Islam changed your attitudes towards  women?

that is the question.,  

You may have not realized but I am pretty sure., you yourself changed a lot of your attitude towards women folks once you are out of Islam., To some extent it also goes to guys from other religions. You and me may still have that MALE MANLY EGO and put up a male show in front women folks .. but the behavior will never be same or equal  to those guys who go to mosques and listen to Mullahs from the books...

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #5 - November 30, 2012, 10:27 PM

I always had respect for women. When I was Muslim I tried to interpret whatever I could to try and make my Islam one which held women in high regard. I focused on verses that said paradise lay at the feet of the mother. Islam "restricted" men to only marry 4 and only if they could treat them all equally. I focused on the personality and life of Khadijah and how she was made out to be a independent business woman.

I ignored and struggled with the fact that Muslims could have sex with their female captives, that a woman was considered deficient in intellect according to some verses, that their testimony was worth half that of a man's.

Discarding Islam meant I could discard the teachings that kept women subjugated to men. They were I longer "jewels" that needed to be wrapped up and protected from other men. They now became truly equal to men.

-------------------
    Believe in yourself
    -------------------
    Strike me down and I'll just become another nail in your coffin
    -------------------
    There's such a thing as sheep in wolfs clothing... religious fanatics
     Reply #6 - December 01, 2012, 02:10 AM

Thanks for your replies  Smiley fascinating.

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
     Reply #7 - December 01, 2012, 07:17 AM

Probably in some subtle ways. For me there was major cognitive dissonance involved in being part of a worldview that purportedly supported equality for women and men, but at the same time had the practical effect of perpetuating a hierarchy among the sexes and "traditional" gender roles. If anything, leaving Islam helped clarify for me the importance of human equality, as well as the need to break the iron curtain of the islamically sanctioned segregation of sexes.

Grew up in the USA. Everyone is supposed to be equal here, but I still don't think it's treated that way. I've always claimed to believe in equality of the sexes, but unfortunately I think my views when I was a muslim were tainted by the claims of islamic propaganda. This state of gullibility was removed when I actually read the translation and tafseer of the Quran, and apostasy allowed me an opportunity to independently formulate my own ethical framework to view the issue.

-Did you have female siblings or relatives that you thought were being treated unfairly, growing up?
    - Did you ever question this and what were the justifications you got?
    - Did you ever encourage a woman in your family to do something she was prohibited to do under Islamic gender roles?

Yes, my sister. Not being allowed to play sports and also some other activities. I of course questioned it, but being essentially a child, I was resigned to accept the authority of parents. I don't think I've ever received justifications for any of this stuff, because of course it's all bullshit, and would manifest itself as such the moment it came out of their mouth.

- Do you think there will be difference with how you treat your wife, than when you were following Islam?(Such as demanding a certain dress, and involvement in finances etc.)

Never had a wife, but of course any interaction with women will be as a fellow adult, not like some child as shown in Islam.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #8 - December 01, 2012, 08:50 AM

I've never really felt differently about women. Sure, when I was a teenager (muslim or not), I had a bit of typical teenage mysogyny, but I've moved beyond that I've hoped. I still realise that as a male I can never truly understand what being a female is like, but I try my best to empathise. One of my major qualms with Islam was how women were treated differently and the sexism and abuse really bothered me, especially as I witnessed it first hand to those I love.

"Nobody who lived through the '50s thought the '60s could've existed. So there's always hope."-Tuli Kupferberg

What apple stores are like.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8QmZWv-eBI
     Reply #9 - December 01, 2012, 10:17 AM

then you never cared for Islamic rules. and ;laws.,  you were out of Islam even when you were a kid. You were questioning Islam without you knowing it...

So.. allah says ....   Your hell is much hotter than  any one's hell who left Islam.  
    The Demba., I don't think you read the question properly .. Question is, that is the question.,  

You may have not realized but I am pretty sure., you yourself changed a lot of your attitude towards women folks once you are out of Islam[/i]., To some extent it also goes to guys from other religions. You and me may still have that MALE MANLY EGO and put up a male show in front women folks .. but the behavior will never be same or equal  to those guys who go to mosques and listen to Mullahs from the books...

No. I think you're talking out of rear end, there.
     Reply #10 - December 01, 2012, 01:29 PM

No. I think you're talking out of rear end, there.

that is possible., there is nothing wrong with that Demba...

Again..  sure you changed after leaving Islam.,  or you were never trained as a kid to be a Muslim.,

Usually Muslim kids grown up in a controlled Islamic environment will not talk like  Naomi Wolf during their adolescent years..

Reply #11 - December 01, 2012, 04:32 PM

I didn't grow-up in "a controlled Islamic environment". Far from it.
     Reply #12 - December 01, 2012, 04:49 PM

My original  comment was deleted because I posted it in the wrong thread.  Cheesy

"Nobody who lived through the '50s thought the '60s could've existed. So there's always hope."-Tuli Kupferberg

What apple stores are like.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8QmZWv-eBI
     Reply #13 - December 01, 2012, 05:05 PM

Wrong thread.

Cheesy  Sprout what happened? why is it wrong thread?  you can  Not speak the way "yeezevee" speaks from rare end?   Cheesy

I didn't grow-up in "a controlled Islamic environment". Far from it.

well then you were never in to Islam.. At best you may have had a family Islam.. not even the Islam of the town.   So yes., for you it makes no difference whether you are Muslim or Not..  

...Still Demb...., There must be something that changed within you once you  left Islam.. So What is  it?? ., There must be some difference between The Demba Muslim and The Demba Ex-Muslim....

Reply #14 - December 01, 2012, 06:02 PM

Wrong thread.

Nooooo!  A heated exchange between Demba and Yeez = Fun. Continue guys, we need some drama here popcorn

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #15 - December 01, 2012, 06:31 PM

Cheesy  Sprout what happened? why is it wrong thread?  you can  Not speak the way "yeezevee" speaks from rare end?   Cheesy
    well then you were never in to Islam.. At best you may have had a family Islam.. not even the Islam of the town.   So yes., for you it makes no difference whether you are Muslim or Not..  

...Still Demb...., There must be something that changed within you once you  left Islam.. So What is  it?? ., There must be some difference between The Demba Muslim and The Demba Ex-Muslim....

Of course there is. Who said there wasn't?

And yes I was into Islam..... but not that much into it.
     Reply #16 - February 04, 2013, 08:47 AM

This is my very first post on this forum...and to be honest, I will be focusing my future posts in the section on philosophy...however, I wanted to take a moment and address this particular thread. I can not answer the question as is however so instead I will modify it for my responce, but first, the reason why - I am a convert to Islam and not an apostate from it. I am a white American who accepted Islam nearly seventeen years ago at the age of 21 and have been a student of the religion ever since.

With all of that being said, I will modify it only to say, "has entering into Islam changed your attitude towards women'? And the answer is certainly 'yes'. I will not speak of how I behaved with women before Islam as I know there are many Muslims who act the same exact way. Nor will I deny the behavior or views of Muslims, nor the chuevenistic views that are prominent. I will even say that my mother raised me to respect all women and so I was raised with a healthy view of women from my youth (even if I acted contrary to that). However, what I will say is that through Islam I have learned not only of women's equal role to men befor God (as I am not an atheist as some of you are) and before the law, not only do they have a high and noble position in the family but they are also superior to men on several levels - this is stated both in the Qur'an itself and the Hadith of the prophet (peace and blessings be upon him).

I do not intend to fall into a childish treatment of this topic with name calling and the like, but if anyone wants proof for my claims I can easily produce them - I will not speak (or post) anything except that I can back it up with proof unless it is a mere opinion (that is my own personal policy). However, I see there are several posts on this thread where people have confused Hadith with Qur'an and vice versa, such as when it was said that there is an ayat saying paradise is at the foot of the mother...there is not, it is a Hadith. Also, there seems to be confusion (or lack of knowledge) concerning certain rules of law - such as a woman's witnessing being only half of a man's...again, this is an error as there are cases where a single woman's witness is greater than any number of men's, where it is equal one for one, and then the case mentioned. My point in mentioning this is only to say that not only here but amongst many Muslims, there is a great deal of ignorance concerning these matters...it is unfortunate that more people do not take the time to learn.

In closing I will simply add that women in Islam have a high status...it is simply a matter of removing the barriers of ignorance that prevent this status from being realized.
     Reply #17 - February 04, 2013, 09:24 AM

Welcome to the forums, Hvsmrspct  Kiss
    Sorry, but 4:34 in the Quran kinda says it all when it comes to women in Islam. 
     Reply #18 - February 04, 2013, 12:18 PM

Hi Hvsmrspct thanks for joining the forum  Afro

Islam's treatment of women is one of its Achilles heels, being saturated with misogyny and that is why so much energy is expended by Muslims to deny this using a variety of rhetorical methods and apologia.

Nevertheless, they fail to convince all but the most ignorant people, because the evidence for the prosecution of Islam in this regard is beyond reasonable doubt. Witness statements, DNA evidence, and the misogynist found with blood on his hands.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #19 - February 04, 2013, 03:23 PM

Hi Hvsmrpct,
    I agree that many people on this forum seem to confuse the ayat of the Qur'aan with the Hadith, and vice versa. However, to the best of my knowledge, everything that they claim does, atleast, exist. Even though some people do not have enough knowledge in every subject, it is without a doubt that the Qur'aan and the Hadith both CLEARLY support the notion that a woman is not equal to a man in many levels. Since you would love playing the proof card, I will begin to mention about 10 ahadiths and verses that clearly represent the inequality of a woman compared to a woman.

1. Your women are your fields, so go into your fields whichever way you like (2:223 Quraan)
    - This verse clearly states that a husband can have sex with his wife, as a plow can go into a field.

2. And let two men from among you bear witness to all such documents [contracts of loans without interest]. But if two men be not available, there should be one man and two women to bear witness so that if one of the women forgets (anything), the other may remind her. (Quraan 2:282)

This is clear proof that a woman's testimony is half of that of a man's. Even if there are CASES where a woman's testiomony is equal, it will NEVER change the fact that the Qur'aan supports it, so your logic is flawed. For example, the Qur'aan endorses marrying more than one wife. If there are some cases where muslims choose to have one wife, does it change the fact that the Qur'aan still endorses polygamy?

3. Bringing me back to the example up there, Islam allows polygamy. It allows men to have upto four wives, despite the fact that me and you both know that a man is imperfect. It is impossible for a man to treat each and every wife fairly and justly, because man always makes mistakes. If you find this moral, then I don't know what to say to you. I do not have the specific verse right now, but I am sure you have read it.

As Al-Alethia mentioned,
    4:34 . . . If you fear highhandedness from your wives, remind them [of the teaching of God], then ignore them when you go to bed, then hit them. If they obey you, you have no right to act against them. God is most high and great.

I am sorry, but no matter how you avoid it, by claiming that it only means "hitting as light as a feather", it DOES not and WILL never change the fact that the Qur'aan endorses beating of women. Besides, don't you think it would have been more rational and smarter for God to have just written "hit like a feather" or "don't hit them" to avoid confusion?

Reply #20 - February 04, 2013, 03:32 PM

5. Quraan 65:1-4
    "O Prophet, when you [and the believers] divorce women, divorce them for their prescribed waiting—period and count the waiting—period accurately . . . 4 And if you are in doubt about those of your women who have despaired of menstruation, (you should know that) their waiting period is three months, and the same applies to those who have not menstruated as yet. As for pregnant women, their period ends when they have delivered their burden. "

Yes, this is clear proof from your "majestic" Qur'aan itself, proof that clearly states that you can marry prepubsecent girls. It is also important to note that the Prophet married Aisha below the age of 10. Assuming that you are about 37/38 years old, just imagine if you had a 6 or 9-year old daughter, whatever it is. Now, try to slowly and vividly imagine a 50 year old man asking her for marriage upon your agreement, and then having sex with her a countless amount of times, fulfilling his sexual fantasies, over, and over, and over again.

Anyways, most of the people in this forum ARE knowledgeable and not ignorant. They use facts like these above, clear and evident proofs, that support their reasoning. They do not rely upon twisting verses or thinking of cop-outs for verses and ahadith that seem troubling or uncomfortable. Besides, these beautiful minds wouldn't even be alive if we were all living in a proper Islamic state.

I will post the rest of the five later because I have work, although I can presently think about a 100. These are just verses of the Qur'aan, we haven't even discussed the ahadith baby Wink
     Reply #21 - February 04, 2013, 06:07 PM

Welcome, brother. I am happy to have you here, as it seems that we have a lot in common. I might even venture to say that there is a chance I may know you, or at least have had the pleasure of meeting you in the past. I am also an American. I am a former Muslim and I devoted a large portion of my adult life to studying Islam. While I can no longer claim in good faith that I believe Islam is the true religion of God, given the time I have invested in the religion, it is still a topic that fascinates me. I look forward in engaging in a fact-based, intellectual discussion with you regarding the topics that you alluded to in your above post. I trust that the ultimate aim of both of us, as fellow seekers of the truth, will be uncovering truth, not simply defending dogma.

I echo much of what Kutta said in the posts above, but as I student of Islam, I know that you must have come across these arguments before. May I even go out on a limb and say that you have your own rebuttals for those points that also make sense to you in your mind. I know that I did. Given your background, I will not bombard you with ayat and ahadith. Instead, I will ask you your views on certain topics that have been presented in Islamic literature and further ask you how you can continue to stand by your statement about “women's equal role to men befor [sic] God…and before the law, not only do they have a high and noble position in the family but they are also superior to men on several levels.”

The point that I am asserting, through out all of this, is that while Islam has allotted some rights and elements of respect to women (it would be difficult to have a practical way of like that was utterly and comically anti-female) the general attitude of Islam towards women is centuries behind the progress that has been made in our modern world.

Firstly, I believe that Muhammad, as a product of his own environment, did in fact believe that males were, as a whole, superior to females.   This sentiment echoes itself numerous times through out the Qur’an. While it is true that Islam forbade the outright  murder of infant girls, the Qur’an still considers daughters to be inferior to sons. Why does Muhammad narrate in the Qur’an that Allah is upset about being assigned daughters instead of sons, as we find in Surah Najm? Why does he describe the prospect of having daughters instead of sons as “A division most unfair” (Qismatun Dhizaa)? Similarly, in Surah Saffat we read “So inquire of them, [O Muhammad], "Does your Lord have daughters while they have sons? (149) Or did We create the angels as females while they were witnesses?" (150) Unquestionably, it is out of their [invented] falsehood that they say, (151) " Allah has begotten," and indeed, they are liars. (152) Has He chosen daughters over sons?” It is clearly implied here that sons are a better choice than daughters. How can this be the case if the sexes are equal in the eyes of God?

The second point I will make is on the issue of sexual slavery. It is hard to imagine anyone making excuses for such an abhorrent practice, but as a believer in the perfect nature of the prophet, you are required to justify even the most heinous of acts. Again, the Qur’an is rife with instances sanctioning the capture of females and subsequently using them for sexual gratification. How, in a modern mindset, can you argue that allowing such “right hand possessions” to be sexually exploited could be anything but degrading to women? Would you feel the same way if the same thing were to happen today on the streets of our own cites and towns? Could you imagine, in the event of a fully legitimate Jihad, capturing the wives and daughters of your non-Muslim neighbors and compelling them to sexual slavery? If Muhammad were such a champion of Women’s rights, surely this practice would have been outlawed 1400 years ago. Instead, he aided, abetted, and participated in it.

Thirdly, as it relates to the issue of finance, I would argue that Islam really does view women as being worth half a man—in almost all regards. I have heard (and once upon a time even used) all the arguments stating that because the burden of financial responsibility always lies on the shoulder of the man, it is necessary to make sure that  he receives more than a woman would in cases of inheritance. That makes sense, though one might wonder why that reasoning was not mentioned in the Qur’an as it seemingly slighted women by repeating “And for the male shall be the portion of two females.” That logic runs into a problem, however, when we look at the case of so called “blood money.” As the sad case of Lama reminds us, the death of a girl requires only half the payout as the death of a boy. Is the loss of her life any less significant? Similarly, the birth of a girl only requires the slaughter of one sheep, while the birth of a boy requires the slaughter of two sheep in thanks to Allah. Is the girl’s birth less significant? Looking at all of these “half” instances together, it appears we have a trend developing.

Each of these examples are damning individually, but when you couple them with verses about men being able to beat their women and ahadith about women being required to obey their husbands or face the wrath of God and his angels, a very misogynistic picture begins to emerge from the dark room of Islamic literature. Even though Islam gives women some rights, they are no where near as comprehensive and real as the rights given to all human beings in our secular democracies today. I think that Islam’s view on women is best summed up in this statement of the prophet himself, where he said “Treat women kindly for verily they are captives in your hands.”  I am sure that is not how your enlightened mother had explained things to you years ago.
     Reply #22 - February 04, 2013, 06:56 PM

if anyone wants proof for my claims I can easily produce them

I don't think you can.

through Islam I have learned not only of women's equal role to men befor God.......I will not speak (or post) anything except that I can back it up with proof unless it is a mere opinion (that is my own personal policy).

Go on then.
     Reply #23 - February 04, 2013, 10:33 PM

Hi Hvsmrspct, welcome to the forum Smiley

I am also a white American who converted to Islam at about the same age you did, and while I was a Muslim I studied Islam rigorously. I look forward to hearing more about your perspective and having a good discussion.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself
    - 32nd United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt
     Reply #24 - February 05, 2013, 05:58 AM

I will begin by saying that I must apologize. I can not possibly respond to every point raised in a single sitting...to do so would be unjust. What is more, I can honestly say that much of what is done here is what I see Muslims doing to Christians on other forums...shotgun blast attacks where where the focus is scattered and it becomes impossible for each issue to be discussed adequately. This tactic is often used as a way of confusing the topic rather than getting to the heart of it.

I will acknowledge that forums such as this are seldom beneficial for anyone...except the choir who comes to support one another. I say this not in order to insult but in order to point out that I came here not to get into a series of bantering back and forth but rather engage in a real thought provoking discussion...even if we do not agree in the end. I am not going to get pulled into a "well what about this then" style of arguement. Rather, let us be reasonable in our discussion...and it is not the proper foundation of reason to begin throwing out verses as proof.

As for the "proof card", and interesting term, I am simply stating that I will reason and not proceed with emotion, I will refer to authority and not opinion, I will go back to the sources and not culture. Call it the proof card if you will, I simply call it reasoning.

As a final point to this introductory responce, I will ask that you give me time. I am actually a very busy person with very limited time and so I will go slowly slowly. I simply ask for your patience in this as again, I am not here for high emotions or "gotcha" moments but rather honest discussion.

Thank you all for such rapid responces. I hope that the time I have already spent has not been wasted and I look forward to continuing in this thread with all of you.
     Reply #25 - February 05, 2013, 06:04 AM

Scrolling back to the top of the page reminded me of one more point. Though, of course, we will discuss various verses of the Qur'an and ahadith, throwing out random verses and demanding explanation or attempting to explain them according to your own views is not the way to discuss this or any issue and I will not engage in such a discussion. We can look at topics or points of discussion and the relevant ayat will be raised and discussed...but just throwing something out as though it in itself is a point, an issue or a topic is not really discussing but rather attacking. ( and there are many topics such as gender equality, what does it mean; sexuality and gender; gender and employment; gender and education; gender and the law; gender and the divine; gender, what does this even mean; etc.. I personally plan to begin by a general discussion on gender itself as this is where it seems Socrates would have began in his reasoning and it is a good starting point.) I need not defend my religion, the Qur'an or the prophet (peace be upon him) nor am I here for that. Rather, I am here for discussion and dialogue...to present my point of view and to listen to yours. I hope this is understood and we can move forward in an honorable and mature way.
     Reply #26 - February 05, 2013, 07:00 AM

I will begin by saying that I must apologize. I can not possibly respond to every point raised in a single sitting...to do so would be unjust. What is more, I can honestly say that much of what is done here is what I see Muslims doing to Christians on other forums...shotgun blast attacks where where the focus is scattered and it becomes impossible for each issue to be discussed adequately. This tactic is often used as a way of confusing the topic rather than getting to the heart of it.

Handy hint: it's generally not a great idea to open a conversation by accusing the other parties of dishonest and malicious behaviour.

It's a forum. People just post as they see fit, and mention things they have thought of at the time. If you want a less crowded and more focused format, you can ask someone to have a one-on-one thread with you.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #27 - February 05, 2013, 01:56 PM

Okay then, your call.
    so lets have the first question. Why does Islam allow slavery, and allow men to take female captives as their possessions in battle?
     Reply #28 - February 05, 2013, 03:11 PM

As for the "proof card", and interesting term, I am simply stating that I will reason and not proceed with emotion, I will refer to authority and not opinion, I will go back to the sources and not culture. Call it the proof card if you will, I simply call it reasoning.

Welcome mate. I'm glad you joined It's good to have someone defend principles I find outdated. I would like to point out however that this particular bit about proof I find abit odd. Ofcourse depending on the claim itself, I would encourage you not to appeal to authority to much; rather you should present the argument on its merit alone. Appeal to authority in Theology debates is very very fallacious and can derail any genuinely progressive discussion. Id also like to point out that theology is 99% opinions regardless of authority.
     Reply #29 - February 22, 2013, 05:53 PM

omg I hate Ummah.com........those people are HORRIBLE. That site is a BIG reason I started having issues with Islam.
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »