Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Upcoming CEMB Official Events

(Read 27833 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Upcoming CEMB Official Events
     OP - November 27, 2012, 11:22 AM

Here are some events organised by the CEMB in London in the next two months. Hope some of you can come to them:

11 December 2012
    End-Year Drinks with CEMB
    Time: 18:30-20:00 Hours
    Entry: £7 per person; £5 for unwaged (including one drink and canapés).
    We won't turn anyone away so if you would like to come but can't afford the entry, just email us and we'll sort something out.
    Special Guest Speaker: Philosopher A C Grayling on ‘Secularism as a Human Right’.
    Space is limited. Reservations will be granted on a first come, first served basis. Reservations and payment deadline: 6 December 2012 via post and 10 December via email. For more information, go to CEMB's website.

28 January 2013
    Ex-Muslim women’s Coffee Morning
    There will be an ex-Muslim women’s coffee morning in January from 11:30-1:00pm. To RSVP, email exmuslimcouncil@gmail.com.

28 January 2013
    Meet-Up for ex-Muslims asylum seekers and refugees
    There will be a meet-up for ex-Muslim refugees and asylum seekers in January from 1:30-2:30pm. To RSVP, email exmuslimcouncil@gmail.com.

Maryam Namazie
    BM Box 1919, London WC1N 3XX, UK
    tel: +44 (0) 7719166731
    web: http://www.maryamnamazie.com/
    blog: http://freethoughtblogs.com/maryamnamazie/
     Reply #1 - January 27, 2013, 01:09 AM

28 January 2013
    Ex-Muslim women’s Coffee Morning
    There will be an ex-Muslim women’s coffee morning in January from 11:30-1:00pm. To RSVP, email exmuslimcouncil@gmail.com.

28 January 2013
    Meet-Up for ex-Muslims asylum seekers and refugees
    There will be a meet-up for ex-Muslim refugees and asylum seekers in January from 1:30-2:30pm. To RSVP, email exmuslimcouncil@gmail.com.

*Bump* for these two events tomorrow (Monday, 28th Jan).

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #2 - April 29, 2013, 09:34 PM

Some dates for your diary if you are interested and can make it.

9 May 2013
    Evening Drinks with Author Rumy Hassan

6:30-8:00pm at The George on the Strand, 213 Strand, London WC2R 1AP.
    Entry is £3; £1 for unwaged, which can be paid at the door. All are welcome.
    For more information, email exmuslimcouncil@gmail.com.

May 17, 2013
    Women and Secularism conference in Washington DC

17-19 May 2013 Washington, DC, USA
    Women in Secularism 2 Conference More information available here.

June 15, 2013
    6th Anniversary Luncheon with Kenan Malik

CEMB sixth anniversary luncheon with keynote speaker Kenan Malik. Other speakers/acts include comedian Kate Smurthwaite and CEMB Spokesperson Maryam Namazie.
    12pm for 1230pm start. Central London location. Tickets are £35; £30 unwaged and include a three course meal.

July 06, 2013
    Launch of Council of Ex-Muslims of France
    Paris, France
    Launch of the Council of Ex-Muslims of France. More details to follow.

July 22, 2013
    Camping Trip

Northern Ex-Muslim Meet-Up Group is organising a camping trip.

Full list of Upcoming Events - http://ex-muslim.org.uk/category/events/

Reply #3 - May 08, 2013, 07:12 AM

A reminder that this Thursday 9 May, the Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain is holding evening drinks with author Rumy Hasan from 6:30-8:00pm at The George on the Strand, 213 Strand, London WC2R 1AP.

Rumy Hasan is Senior Lecturer at Sussex University and author of the recent “Dangerous Liaisons: The Clash between Islamism and Zionism” and “Multiculturalism: Some Inconvenient Truths”.

It’s a fantastic time to mingle with other ex-Muslims and like-minded individuals.

Entry is £3; £1 for unwaged, which can be paid at the door.

All are welcome.

Reply #4 - May 08, 2013, 07:16 AM

Wish I lived in London :(

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #5 - June 02, 2013, 08:08 PM

11 June 2013, Talk on Multiculturalism, Child Protection in Britain: Sharia law and other failures, London

Join One Law for All Spokesperson Anne-Marie Waters and Baroness Caroline Cox who will be speaking about One Law for All's newest report on the state of children's rights in Britain on 11 June at 18.00 hours at the London School of Economics. The talk is going to be chaired by Professor of Social Policy Eileen Munro.
    More information can be found here: http://www.onelawforall.org.uk/11-june-2013-multiculturalism-child-protection-and-sharia-lse/.

13 June 2013, Oxford Union panel on Iran, Oxford

Maryam Namazie will be speaking on Oxford Union panel forum on the topic 'The election, the Arab Spring and the bomb - what next for modern Iran'? Moderator: Arshin Adib-Moghaddam. Other panellists are Dennis Kucinich, Mohammad Ali Shabani, and Hazhir Teimourian.

15 June 2013, Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain’s 6th Anniversary luncheon, London

Join us to celebrate the 6th anniversary of the Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain on 15 June 2013 at 12pm for a 12:30pm start in central London. The keynote speaker will be writer Kenan Malik. Other speakers and acts include Magician Neil Edwards, Centre for Secular Space's Executive Director Gita Sahgal, comedian Kate Smurthwaite and CEMB Co-Spokesperson Maryam Namazie. CEMB Co-Spokesperson Nahla Mahmoud will be the MC for the event. Special guests include scientist Richard Dawkins.

Book your tickets today. More details here: http://ex-muslim.org.uk/2013/03/6th-anniversary-luncheon-with-kenan-malik/.

29-30 June 2013, International Conference on Empowering Women Through Secularism, Dublin
    Maryam Namazie and Anne Marie Waters will be speaking at Atheist Ireland's international conference on Empowering Women Through Secularism during 29-30 June.
    More information here: http://www.atheist.ie/empowering-women-through-secularism-conference-dublin-ireland/.

29 June 2013, 12pm, Northern Ex-Muslim Meet-Up Group, Manchester

Northern Ex-Muslim Meet-Up Group is organising a lunch in Manchester on 29 June.
    To join the event, visit here: http://ex-muslim.org.uk/2013/05/northern-ex-muslim-meet-up-lunch-in-manchester/.

6 July 2013, Launch of Council of Ex-Muslims of France, Paris
    Join us for the launch of the Council of Ex-Muslims of France. Speakers include Waleed Al-Husseini, Nadia El-Fani, Caroline Fourest, Marieme Helie Lucas, Maryam Namazie, and many more.

More details here: http://ex-muslim.org.uk/2013/04/launch-of-council-of-ex-muslims-of-france/.

Reply #6 - June 13, 2013, 05:56 PM

15 June 2013, Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain’s 6th Anniversary luncheon, London

Join us to celebrate the 6th anniversary of the Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain on 15 June 2013 at 12pm for a 12:30pm start in central London. The keynote speaker will be writer Kenan Malik. Other speakers and acts include Magician Neil Edwards, Centre for Secular Space's Executive Director Gita Sahgal, comedian Kate Smurthwaite and CEMB Co-Spokesperson Maryam Namazie. CEMB Co-Spokesperson Nahla Mahmoud will be the MC for the event. Special guests include scientist Richard Dawkins.

Book your tickets today. More details here: http://ex-muslim.org.uk/2013/06/6th-anniversary-luncheon-with-kenan-malik/

Reminder guys!!

^  This luncheon is on Saturday!

Tickets for the event, which includes a three-course meal and glass of wine at a wonderful Italian restaurant, are £35.00 per person or £30.00 for students/unwaged.

To purchase tickets pay via Paypal or Worldpay. Please make sure to include an email address and/or telephone number so that further details can be provided. Additional donations are welcome to help ensure the attendance of CEMB volunteers at the event.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #7 - June 13, 2013, 06:40 PM

Woopdie woop. Fate would have it that I'm in London this Saturday so shall be coming along Smiley
     Reply #8 - July 13, 2013, 05:15 PM

16 July 2013 Manchester, UK
    Maryam Namazie speaks in Manchester on freedom of thought

Maryam Namazie will be speaking at a meeting organised by Greater Manchester Humanists from 6:15pm on freedom of speech and thought. More details to follow.

July 26, 2013
    Northern Ex-Muslim Meet-up Group Camping Trip

http://www.meetup.com/Ex-Muslim-North/events/116122572/

30 August - 2 September 2013 Boston, USA
    Boston Atheist Alliance of America Conference

Maryam Namazie will be speaking at Atheist Alliance of America Conference.
    More information here.

Reply #9 - July 16, 2013, 09:34 PM

The Central London Humanist Group are having their 6th Annual picnic in Hyde Park

CEMB members are very welcome to join on Sunday 21st July for good fun and company in a lovely location.

6th Annual CLHG Picnic in Hyde Park, Marlborough Gate
    Sunday 2:00 PM, July 21, 2013

Opposite Lancaster Gate underground station, London
    Nearest tube Lancaster Gate

Please come and join us for our 6th annual CLHG Picnic.

As for previous picnics we will meet on the slope opposite the fountains at the end of The Long Water, from 2.00 p.m.

Some people stay for the whole afternoon and into the early evening, others joined us for just a couple of hours, so please join us for as long as you wish.

Please bring a picnic blanket or a small deckchair, if you prefer, and whatever picnic faire and drinks you wish. It might be a good idea to post in your response what you will be bringing along, to avoid a surfeit of strawberries, or humous.

To find us simply come out of Lancaster Gate tube cross the road into the park turn left and you will see us on the slope over looking the fountains.

Should the weather not be kind to us we will adjourn to the Swan Pub close to Lancaster Gate tube station.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

By the way there are toilets close by near the gate.

Reply #10 - July 18, 2013, 04:02 AM

Sadly won't have an evening free until at least late October but if I can get down later in the year I'd love to come. Never actually been a Muslim but seem to be welcome here. I can come right? Smiley

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #11 - July 18, 2013, 12:48 PM

Sadly won't have an evening free until at least late October but if I can get down later in the year I'd love to come. Never actually been a Muslim but seem to be welcome here. I can come right? Smiley

Of course! CEMB events are open to all forum members and supporters. You don't have to be an ex-muslim to join in the fun Smiley

Reply #12 - July 30, 2013, 07:21 AM

Maryam Namazie speaks at Skeptics on Fringe Festival in Edinburgh
    11 August 2013

3:30 pm – 4:30 pm at: The Jam House, 5 Queen Street, EH2 1JE
    http://www.edinburghskeptics.co.uk/events/sotf-2013-maryam-namazie/

Manchester lunch
    24 August 2013

Northern Ex-Muslim Meet-Up Group is organising a lunch in Manchester.

http://atheistallianceamerica.org/index.php/11-events/6-the-heathens-are-coming

Yay! I'm looking forward to the Edinburgh event  bunny

Reply #13 - August 19, 2013, 07:21 AM

Discussion on Arab revolutions and Feminism in Marseilles
    22-24 August 2013 Marseilles, France

Maryam Namazie will be speaking on Arab revolutions and Feminism panel organised by the Green Party's Feminism Group. More information can be found here.

http://atheistallianceamerica.org/index.php/11-events/6-the-heathens-are-coming

Secular Europe March and Rally
    14 September 2013

Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain is endorsing the Central London Humanist Group’s Secular Europe March and Rally on Saturday 14th September 2013.
    We will assemble at 12.30pm in Temple Place, next to Temple Tube Station, the March will start at 1.00pm and end in a Rally at Richmond Terrace, opposite Downing Street.

We will be using hashtag ‪#‎SECM2013‬.

Confirmed speakers include Sue Cox (Survivors Voice), Charlie Klendjian (Lawyers Secular Society), Rory Fenton (AHS President), Philosopher AC Grayling, Adam Knowles (Chair of GALHA – LGBT Humanists), Philosopher Stephen Law, Houzan Mahmoud (Organisation for Iraqi Women’s Freedom), Nahla Mahmoud (Council of Ex Muslims of Britain), Maryam Namazie (Fitnah, CEMB and One Law for All), Pragna Patel (Southall Black Sisters), Naomi Phillips (Chair of Labour Humanists), Nina Sankari (Polish Rationalist Association) and Anne Marie Waters (One Law for All) amongst others.

Event page on Facebook
    Event page on Meetup

Reply #14 - August 19, 2013, 07:31 AM

I'd like to hear Maryam in Boston but I'm not well-off enough to consider paying $150 for the privilege and there doesn't seem to be much else at the convention I'd be interested in attending. :( They really need to make these events more accessible to working-class people. $150 for one day not including evening stuff? I mean I get they gotta pay for the hotel and honorariums and travel expenses for conference speakers/organizers, just sucks they didn't at least try to do a sliding scale or something for people who just want to go to one particular thing there. I'd be willing to like throw down a 20 buck donation at the door to listen to Maryam's bit, but they're asking too much.

EDIT: I notice you guys in the UK try to keep the prices down to keep these talks accessible to the general public. Wish your American counterparts shared this attitude.

fuck you
     Reply #15 - August 19, 2013, 09:46 PM

Wow that's pretty steep! It would have been good if they allowed people to pick specific days or parts of the conference.

Reply #16 - August 19, 2013, 11:43 PM

Yeah I sent them an email asking about it, no reply yet.

EDIT:

Wow that's pretty steep! It would have been good if they allowed people to pick specific days or parts of the conference.

That actually is the "a la carte" price I should clarify-- buck fifty buys you one day of talks not including evening events. Full pass is much more.

fuck you
     Reply #17 - August 22, 2013, 08:21 PM

I hope they at least get a t-shirt Grin

Reply #18 - September 12, 2013, 08:54 PM

Two CEMB events on 19 September in case you are interested in attending.

1. We have a CEMB London meetup for apostate refugees and asylum seekers from 5-6pm at The George on the Strand, 213 Strand, London WC2R 1AP.
    You can come to get advice or information at this meeting.
    This meeting is free.

2. After that, we will be having evening drinks with philosopher Arif Ahmed from 6:30-8:00pm at the same place - The George on the Strand, 213 Strand, London WC2R 1AP.
    Entry is £3; £1 for unwaged, which can be paid at the door.
    All are welcome.

Reply #19 - September 12, 2013, 09:13 PM

11 December 2012
    End-Year Drinks with CEMB

Special Guest Speaker: Philosopher A C Grayling on ‘Secularism as a Human Right’.

Must get him to autograph my copies of Against All Gods and The Good Book!
     Reply #20 - September 12, 2013, 09:57 PM

Must get him to autograph my copies of Against All Gods and The Good Book!

If you manage to travel to London this Saturday, you just might be able to do that Smiley

Secular Europe March and Rally

Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain is endorsing the Central London Humanist Group’s Secular Europe March and Rally on Saturday 14th September 2013.

We will assemble at 12.30pm in Temple Place, next to Temple Tube Station, the March will start at 1.00pm and end in a Rally at Richmond Terrace, opposite Downing Street at around 2pm.

Confirmed speakers include Sue Cox (Survivors Voice), Charlie Klendjian (Lawyers Secular Society), Rory Fenton (AHS President), Philosopher AC Grayling, Adam Knowles (Chair of GALHA – LGBT Humanists), Philosopher Stephen Law, Houzan Mahmoud (Organisation for Iraqi Women’s Freedom), Nahla Mahmoud (Council of Ex Muslims of Britain), Maryam Namazie (Fitnah, CEMB and One Law for All), Pragna Patel (Southall Black Sisters), Naomi Phillips (Chair of Labour Humanists), Nina Sankari (Polish Rationalist Association) and Anne Marie Waters (One Law for All) amongst others.

More information available here: Join event page on Facebook and Event page on Meetup. We will be using the hashtag #SECM2013.

Join us!

Reply #21 - September 26, 2013, 09:20 AM

Nahla Mahmoud on Apostasy at Nottingham Secular Society

Nahla Mahmoud will be speaking on Friday, 27th September 2013 at 7:30pm at an event organised by Nottingham Secular Society.

Subject: International Apostasy Laws: a Journey of an Ex-Muslim

Place: The Nottingham Mechanics, 3 North Sherwood Street, Nottingham NG1 4EZ.

More details can be found here

Reply #22 - October 01, 2013, 02:30 PM

have I read correctly that there are stalls for hire. For selling merchandise? Info, prices? I have a whole load of harun Yayha stuff, also a lot of Islamic literature, hadith books, prayer mats, calligraphy, halal sweets, shawls, burkhas, casettes - audio and visual, prayer caps, attar, black seed oil, miswak, I expect a lot of business.

I am my own worst enemy and best friend, itsa bit of a squeeze in a three-quarter bed, tho. Unhinged!? If I was a dog I would be having kittens, that is unhinged. Footloose n fancy free, forced to fit, fated to fly. One or 2 words, 3 and 3/thirds, looking comely but lonely, till I made them homely.D
     Reply #23 - November 26, 2013, 11:21 PM

Friday, 29 November

From 5-6pm, there will be a meet-up with apostate asylum seekers and refugees.
    If you need any assistance or know anyone who does, please ask them to come to this session. Tanjir Sugar and Maryam Namazie will be there.

From 7-9pm is Kafir Comedy Night.

Both events are at the usual pub used by CEMB.

More details here

Reply #24 - April 25, 2014, 07:46 AM

JOIN PROTEST AGAINST LAW SOCIETY
    DATE: Monday 28 April 2014
    TIME: 17:00-18:00 hours
    PLACE: The Law Society, 113 Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1PL

Just show up. Also join the Facebook Page

Speakers include: Maryam Namazie, Spokesperson, One Law For All; Pragna Patel, Founder, Southall Black Sisters; Peter Tatchell, Founder, Peter Tatchell Foundation; Yasmin Rehman, Fellow of Muslim Institute and Centre for Secular Space; Kate Smurthwaite, Comedian and activist; James Bloodworth, Editor, Left Foot Forward; Georgi Laag, President, LAAG London Atheist Activist Group; Charlie Klendjian, Secretary, Lawyers' Secular Society; Abhishek Phadnis, President, LSESU Atheist, Secularist and Humanist Society and Diana Nammi, Executive Director, Iranian Kurdish Women’s Refugee Organisation.

Here’s an open letter signed by a number of well known personalities explaining why the guidance is discriminatory and must be withdrawn.

The protest is organised by One Law for All, Southall Black Sisters, Centre for Secular Space, Lawyers Secular Society and LSE SUASH.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EVENING DRINKS WITH LAWYER ON APOSTASY AND ASYLUM
    DATE: Monday 28 April 2014
    TIME: 18:30-20:00
    PLACE: The George, 213 Strand, London (nearest Tube: Temple)

Please feel free to join a Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain event after the Law Society protest.

Ana Gonzalez, a lawyer of a well-respected law firm which has represented a number of apostasy asylum claimants and CEMB members will speak about the right to asylum and apostasy.
    There will be plenty of time to mingle and socialise during the event. Entry: £3; £1 unwaged.

Reply #25 - January 25, 2015, 07:45 PM

Sharia Law, Apostasy and Secularism Conference, London

7 February 2015 Sharia Law, Apostasy and Secularism Day-Conference
    Near London Kings Cross
    9am registration; From 10am-5:30pm

The day-conference will include discussions on Charlie Hebdo and freedom of expression, apostasy and blasphemy laws, Islamism and the religious-Right, Sharia in the Law, Educational System and Public Policy, as well as Secularism and Citizenship Rights. Speakers will discuss the successful campaigns against the Law Society and Universities UK and how the fight for equal rights and an end to discrimination against ex-Muslims and for free expression are integral to the urgent fight against Islamism and the religious-Right and for a secular society.

There are still tickets available for the event. Please note that no tickets will be available on the day. Everyone attending must pre-register and buy tickets beforehand.

For more information about the conference schedule and speakers, see the link to the web page above.

The conference is organised by One Law for All and Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain.

Reply #26 - March 10, 2015, 11:50 PM

Quite a number of CEMB and One Law for All meetups have been planned in London!

Please make sure to come and bring friends along! There is usually a speaker who will speak for 10-15 minutes and then it’s a social gathering for people to meet up and have some fun!

16 March 2015, central London by Kings Cross station, 19:00-21:00 hours
    International Women’s Day evening drinks with Pragna Patel from Southall Black Sisters.
    £3 entry (waged); £1 entry (unwaged). E-mail exmuslimcouncil@gmail.com to register.

27 April 2015, central London by Kings Cross station, 19:00-21:00 hours
    Evening drinks with Imad Iddine Habib, Founder of the Council of Ex-Muslims of Morocco.
    £3 entry (waged); £1 entry (unwaged). E-mail exmuslimcouncil@gmail.com to register.

18 May 2015, central London by Kings Cross station, 19:00-21:00 hours
    Apostasy and Asylum Meet-up with Lawyer Ana Gonzales.

20 June, central London by Kings Cross station
    CEMB's 8th year anniversary!  sloshed banana dance
    Join us for a party with music, dancing and snacks. More details to follow.

I've put the date down in my diary... maybe I will see if I can make a trip to London. It would be great to meet some of the lovely folk from here again dance

Reply #27 - March 11, 2015, 02:04 AM

The anniversary! I need to be there!  mysmilie_977

You are the Universe, Expressing itself as a Human for a little while- Eckhart Tolle
     Reply #28 - March 11, 2015, 05:04 PM

Quite a number of CEMB and One Law for All meetups have been planned in London!

Please make sure to come and bring friends along! There is usually a speaker who will speak for 10-15 minutes and then it’s a social gathering for people to meet up and have some fun!

16 March 2015, central London by Kings Cross station, 19:00-21:00 hours
    International Women’s Day evening drinks with Pragna Patel from Southall Black Sisters.

27 April 2015, central London by Kings Cross station, 19:00-21:00 hours
    Evening drinks with Imad Iddine Habib, Founder of the Council of Ex-Muslims of Morocco.

18 May 2015, central London by Kings Cross station, 19:00-21:00 hours
    Apostasy and Asylum Meet-up with Lawyer Ana Gonzales.

20 June, central London by Kings Cross station
    CEMB's 8th year anniversary!  sloshed banana dance
    Join us for a party with music, dancing and snacks. More details to follow.

I've put the date down in my diary... maybe I will see if I can make a trip to London. It would be great to meet some of the lovely folk from here again dance

Are we observing Hayya for these?
     Reply #29 - March 11, 2015, 09:40 PM

I am sooo looking forward to this 
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »