Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Have Islamic countries lost much of its culture?

(Read 1851 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Have Islamic countries lost much of its culture?
     OP - November 04, 2012, 03:50 AM

Just something I was thinking about.

Looking from a historic point of view, many countries pride itself on some kind of rich history or influence that inspired other nations. Be it music, arts, television, literature. Islamic countries complain that Western influences are infiltrating and destroying their culture. But what culture does Islam have? Void of music, art and love. Colorful clothes of pre-Islamic regimes have disappeared, intellects are moving abroad, music is discouraged as is many things.
    Has Islam doomed itself a few centuries from now by making a fool of itself in the eyes of the world. At least with some religions such as Christianity, it becomes flexible in not invading the cultures of other countries (to a certain degree), same with many other religions. For example Mexico is very religious Catholic but has a rich culture outside of it's religion that was imposed on them, as does other Christian majority countries. No one has to give up the way they dress, their music, their lifestyle or even festivities.

But since Islam is a way of a life does it destroy cultures? Does Islam have itself to blame for it's believers to yearn for the freedom of dress, trying hard to mix the hijab with European fashion and dress, or wearing jeans. Does Islam have itself to blame for pretty much being so boring and void of color, that it's not surprising that people yearn for something more and crave the richness of other nations?

Agree or Disagree, just wanted to hear some thoughts and opinions on that.

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
  • Re: Have Islamic countries lost much of its culture?
     Reply #1 - November 04, 2012, 04:00 AM

I suggest you do some research before sounding off about how Islamic countries have never had any culture, or music, or art, or anything else.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #2 - November 04, 2012, 05:03 AM

I wrote this in another thread but I feel that this is more relevant to this thread

Exotic is an unusual way to describe Islam. When people think of exotic nations what immediately comes to mind are an array of different and unique cultures.  

When Islam was spread into the middle eastern nation via war and conquest it's effect on the rich and diverse cultures of arabs is analogous to dumping a tub of Hydrochloric acid onto a joyful golden retriever.

It corrodes away at the culture, enforcing a strict dress code which does away with the traditional dresses that once symbolized the unique nations and gave them a sense of pride.

It's enforcement of segregation by gender divides the population and prevents the meeting of people who might have been intimate friends had they not been separated on the basis of which reproductive organs they possessed.

Further more it demonizes and punishes lovers. Lovers are the representatives of art and their stories of romance are like bright rainbows that stand out in the beautiful mosaic of the human social scene.  

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #3 - November 04, 2012, 05:13 AM

Exotic is an unusual way to describe Islam. When people think of exotic nations what immediately comes to mind are an array of different and unique cultures.

People who call Islam "exotic" are comparing it to the culture they were raised in (usually WASP). In that context, it's a reasonable term to use.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/exotic

1. of foreign origin or character; not native; introduced from abroad, but not fully naturalized or acclimatized: exotic foods; exotic plants.

2. strikingly unusual or strange in effect or appearance: an exotic hairstyle.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #4 - November 04, 2012, 08:41 AM

But what culture does Islam have? Void of music, art and love. Colorful clothes of pre-Islamic regimes have disappeared, intellects are moving abroad, music is discouraged as is many things.

I disagree and I think this is bullshit. So according to you Pakistanis and Bengalis and Indians doesnt have any culture or art or literature or colourful clothes or even cuisine?? Kurds dont? African Muslims and Arab Muslims doesnt either? Do you see how silly that statement is?

"Beauty is truth, truth beauty," - that is all
            Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.

- John Keats
     Reply #5 - November 04, 2012, 08:42 AM

I suggest you do some research before sounding off about how Islamic countries have never had any culture, or music, or art, or anything else.

+1

A little bit apologetic - but i recommend Sakura to start here: http://www.muslimheritage.com/

"Beauty is truth, truth beauty," - that is all
            Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.

- John Keats
     Reply #6 - November 04, 2012, 12:19 PM

There is plenty of cultural heritage in the Middle East. I think that the problem is that the wealthiest countries in the Middle East either have less of it (UAE) or have no interest in preserving it (Saudi Arabia). Whilst countries like Egypt and Pakistan, which both have a shitload of culture going back to the dawn of civilization, do not have the resources to protect and promote it.

The places that were traditionally the centers of urbanism and civilization in both the Islamic and pre-Islamic eras (Egypt, Syria, and Iraq) have gone into decline, whilst the more tribal areas without a long history of civilization have come to dominate the region through oil wealth. I often think of the UAE as the 'Texas of the Middle East'. An area with very little history and heritage, but shit loads of oil wealth. Loads of Westerners want to go on vacation to the UAE, but for me it is one the least appealing places of the region, just a bunch of modern shopping malls in a desert. Id rather go to Iran, Syria, Turkey or Egypt any day, and Iraq if it became safer.
     Reply #7 - November 04, 2012, 01:12 PM

^

Actually Pakistani civilization is starting to move away from the traditional dresses to the arbian burkah and the salafi beards. 

Islam is a disease that destroys the culture of every civilization in which it is enforced.

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #8 - November 04, 2012, 03:11 PM

Sigh, sorry let me explain again. I didn't say Islamic countries didn't have any culture, most of the culture you speak of things are traditions that aren't associated with Islam or brought by Muhammad but rather, traditions that were there before the spread of Islam and have managed to stay. And for example people like Bengalis and Indians their colorful clothes and traditions go way back before Islam was introduced and have managed to stay.  Interesting personally, I didn't even know many far Eastern countries were Islamic, like Bangladesh, I just thought it was Hindu because of the clothes and fabrics even the food especially since some of the girls would let their hair peek out from under the hijab. I guess I'm thinking more of Islamic countries that want to be more hardline Muslim and have pushed out most minorities and discourages their religious practices, festivals, way of dress etc.

Also in response to the Muslim heritage link. Yes I am well aware that Islam has contributed many things in the sciences for example. However, I'm hesitant to say that it's culture, because it is nothing unique to Islam. All over the world in ancient civilizations and have contributed things in sciences, education, math for example. So it's nothing really unique to Islam, if you said Islamic countries were the first start astronomy that would be different. Now looking at the website, something like calligraphy or art is unique. And I even know before they use to do paintings of Muhammad, before it was forbidden. I think East Asian Muslim countries are fascinating though because they have a lot of pre-Islamic heritage that has stayed. Anyways I'm sorry if I offended anyone I'm not saying Middle Eastern countries aren't cultured, I'm asking if you think Islam has discouraged or destroyed much pre-Islamic culture in certain regions for the sake of, example:  more conservative dress for women, arguably in some nations demanding less colorful, discouraging music that may have existed in those regions before Islam came, hiding away art that may depict Mohammad, or dancing (like belly-dancing) which I considered a Middle Eastern thing, that is no longer encouraged or flaunted. I have a hijabi Muslim friend from Egypt who belly-dances and I was like >_> wait Muslim girls can do that. And said yeah but only in private. and I'm thinking well that's kind of a waste.

To be fair I will say that Islam has something that is admired around to world and that is their mosques and intricate symmetry designs. That has very little influence from anything else, and is unique to Islam.

It's fine if you disagree, but I'd more interested to see more links like the Muslim heritage is you are going to say why you disagree with me. Or feel free to argue why science should be counted as a cultural thing. 

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
     Reply #9 - November 04, 2012, 03:50 PM

I think Sakura is referring perhaps to how Salafism & Wahaabism and 'Ummah' identity politics impose a standardised version of Islam that is hostile to various non Islamic influences in cultures around the world.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #10 - November 04, 2012, 05:10 PM

The loss of any culture that didn't produce scientific naturalism is hardly a loss at all.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »