Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: God Save Prince Charlie

(Read 2305 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • God Save Prince Charlie
     OP - October 21, 2012, 06:52 PM

The monarchical system dictates that the citizens of Britain, Canada, Australia and many another Commonwealth country must pick their next head of state from a shortlist of one. Will the guarantee that the king will compensate for the privilege of belonging to this shrunken gene pool by keeping out of politics hold in the reign of Charles III? Or will we find that the promise of impartiality has gone?

There was a time when establishment voices could answer these questions with ease. Only leftwing conspiracy theorists thought the House of Windsor wielded political power, they said. Its role was to delight tourists and credulous natives with its hatches, matches and dispatches. But it never interfered in politics, which was why we enjoyed stable government and civil peace, unlike those unfortunate continentals with their dangerous republics. Although the official line was not accurate – George VI and the late Queen Mother shamed themselves with their support for the Chamberlain government's appeasement of Nazism – it was accurate enough for propaganda purposes.

The strange and bombastic figure of Charles Windsor is now making a nonsense of Britain's former certainties. Many and varied are the ways in which he deforms those around him. In the case of the law officers, he has turned the attorney general into a walking oxymoron.

Last week, Dominic Grieve MP QC rushed to please His Royal Highness by intervening in the due process of law. He blocked a decision by the Upper Tribunal of the Administrative Appeals Chamber to allow the public to read about Prince Charles's attempts to influence politicians and civil servants. At first, Grieve pretended that the Britain we used to know was still here. "Within a constitutional monarchy, where the sovereign is head of state but political power is exercised through a democratically elected government, the sovereign cannot be seen to favour one political party above another or to engage in political controversy." Which was fair enough. In a phrase that may return to haunt him, Grieve continued: "Inherited monarchy could not be preserved" if the sovereign abandoned political neutrality. And that ought to be true too.

If what he said were true now, however, there would be no difficulty in publishing Prince Charles's letters. They would be so dull – so filled with formal greetings and polite nothings – they would weary even the most obsessive collector of royal trivia. But without pausing for breath, or showing any embarrassment at the contradiction in his reasoning, the attorney general made it plain that Prince Charles's letters were anything but boring. They contained his "deeply held personal views and beliefs", he said. Included were "particularly frank" remarks about public affairs, which would make politicians unwilling to "engage" with him in future.

If you think Grieve makes Prince Charles sound like a lobbyist seeking special treatment for his favoured causes, you would be right. Allowing the public to see the letters of a prince it pays for and must accept as its next head of state without a democratic vote would, the attorney decided, "potentially have undermined his position of political neutrality". One second, the law officer says the royals must be neutral. The next, he admits that Britain's next monarch is not neutral and the state must censor to prevent the public learning this uncomfortable fact.

The tribunal Grieve overruled was more honest. Reading the judgment of Mr Justice Walker and his colleagues, one senses their mounting shock at how the prince has broken the conventions that kept the British state functioning. The tribunal did not order the release of genuinely private correspondence. On the contrary, it wanted the public to know only about the prince's lobbying. In this, he is as tireless as the British Bankers' Association or Unison. The prince considered himself entitled to use his access to ministers in order to "drive forward charities and promote views", the judges explained. They accepted that constitutional convention allows the heir to the throne to meet politicians and understand the workings of the state as part of his preparation to be king. But the prince was engaged in a "massive extension" of lobbying that went far beyond precedent and convention. It was a fundamental "point of principle" that lobbying by the heir to the throne "cannot have constitutional status", the tribunal concluded. Therefore, his future subjects should know what interests and causes the prince was pursuing in private.

My Guardian colleague Rob Evans asked officials to release the records. Tellingly, however, the tribunal was so concerned that on its own initiative, and without any prompting from the press, it decided to collect everything that was publicly known about the prince's political meddling. Now we have it all in one place. The rantings about architecture, which meant that by the early 1990s the Telegraph was complaining that the prince had an effective veto on new projects; the reactionary attacks on the Human Rights Act, which forced a Labour lord chancellor to tell him: "I do not see how discouraging people from enforcing their rights could result in a more responsible society"; the ultra-reactionary embrace of every variety of quackery and crankiness that led to his campaigns against foods that might feed the hungry and medicines that might heal the sick; and the babbling mysticism that produced his declaration that humanity took a wrong turn when Galileo showed that the Earth went round the sun.

I could go on, but when we have before us a prince who has not come to terms with the Renaissance, let alone the Enlightenment, the point is surely made. The danger in every hereditary system is that the nepotistic principle will eventually throw up a man wholly unsuited for the role tradition assigns him. For Britain's constitutional monarchy, Charles Windsor is that man. When Jonathan Dimbleby interviewed him on bended knee in the 1990s, and in more recent interviews with Vanity Fair, Charles stated that he does not intend to abide by the convention that he should stay out of politics. If his parents wanted him to rise above politics when he became king "that's their bad luck".

It is not republicans who should worry about his coronation – as I have said before, we can't wait – but monarchists. One day, maybe soon, they will have to explain to an embarrassed British public and a mocking world why they went to such lengths to censor the unavoidable truth that nine out of 10 people you pass in the street would make a better constitutional monarch than HRH, Prince of Wales.

source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/oct/21/nick-cohen-prince-charles-republicanism
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And there was me thinking I was missing something when I read Grieve's original statement... but no it actually is as retarded as it sounds... how did this guy become attorney general? Oh that's right, privilege > merit.
  • Re: God Save Prince Charlie
     Reply #1 - October 21, 2012, 07:12 PM

Charles is a flake.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #2 - October 22, 2012, 03:16 AM

prince charles > prince spinoza

Yeah an I am super ugly, I can't even beat my chest am too skinny and when I roaaar to attract women, they laugh at me, because it sounds like a girl screaming. I can't even attract any bitches!  Cry

Reply #3 - October 22, 2012, 09:10 AM

Constitutional Monarchy/Parliamentary System > Republicanism.

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #4 - October 22, 2012, 09:17 AM

Anybody who in their right minds think the royal family are neutral needs their heads examined. It is impossible for anyone to be neutral politically, I would say just down to the fact that the Prince's trust exists points to the fact he is not neutral and wants a hand in things, do you not agree?
     Reply #5 - October 22, 2012, 10:29 AM

My favourite quote from Charles Windsor, and there's a lot to choose from (talking to plants, blaming our moral ills on scientific discovery, championing quackery in its many forms), is mentioned in this Telegraph article:

"Prince Charles said the system made people believe they could be "pop stars, High Court judges, TV presenters or heads of state" without putting in the effort or having the natural ability." (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1476901/Dont-try-to-rise-above-your-station.html)

As usual, displaying a level of self-unawareness difficult to attain without a life of unearnt and undeserved spoils.

If you too would like to see an end to state mandated inherited privilege, wealth and power, join Republic! http://www.republic.org.uk/
     Reply #6 - October 22, 2012, 06:58 PM

This is the man who wants to be reincarnated as a tampon.   Cheesy  I bet republicans can't wait for his reign.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #7 - November 05, 2012, 12:36 AM

This is the man who wants to be reincarnated as a tampon.

EEEEEEEWW!!!

YUCKY GROSS!!

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #8 - November 05, 2012, 12:44 AM

TBH I'm half inclined to think it'd suit him. Cheesy

Anyway, my guess is that Charles will be passed over in favour of William.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #9 - November 05, 2012, 03:17 AM

^

Well obviously he's not going to be crowned King.

Can you imagine the insults from other countries.

" Hey did you hear the King of Britain wants to be reincarnated as a tampon"

" HAHA them crazy British folk. "

" In other news the Canadians are holding out on the hills with hockey sticks and refusing to pledge allegiance to the Tampon King."

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #10 - November 05, 2012, 03:23 AM

Cheesy My bet is that Liz will last as long as her mum, which means by the time the throne is up for grabs Charlie will be past standard retirement age anyway. He'll be quietly advised to stick to gardening, and William will get the job.

Reply #11 - November 05, 2012, 04:54 PM

I don't think that's allowed, he would have to formally abdicate his right to succeed first, they can't just pass over him.  It sounds to me like he's quite keen on the job.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #12 - November 06, 2012, 12:52 AM

That's what I mean by "He'll be quietly advised to stick to gardening, and William will get the job."

Reply #13 - December 01, 2012, 12:59 AM

Charles is not a bad bloke if you compare him to the crooks who are presidents, like bush, berlisconi, chirac, putin etc etc.

Arthur.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »