Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 11, 2024, 06:33 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
May 10, 2024, 12:51 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
May 10, 2024, 09:41 AM

New Britain
May 08, 2024, 07:28 AM

General chat & discussion...
May 08, 2024, 07:16 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 30, 2024, 06:51 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Brutal Rogues of Islam tried to kill that 13 year old girl Malala Yousafzai

(Read 44658 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 4 ... 7 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Brutal Rogues of Islam tried to kill that 13 year old girl Malala Yousafzai
     Reply #30 - October 10, 2012, 06:36 PM

I think there are lots of people in Pakistan who would love to see and be part of massive, political and social change there. But they are outnumbered by those who are either apathetic to political realities, usually by virtue of either poverty or wealth, and those who are actively looting that country's resources, people and foreign aid for the last 40+ years on an ongoing basis.

I am too old and have seen too many incidents like this in news coming from Pakistan, to believe in an idyllic end to this story. She will either recover and try to stand her ground there in which case chances are high that she will get actually assassinated next time. Or she will recover and be heavily brain damaged. Or she will not recover. Or, the best case scenario for her and her family, she will leave Pakistan for good. None of the scenarios I can imagine would make Pakistan a better place. It has been steadily getting worse on the whole, especially for women, especially in non-urban centres (and even in urban areas) since the 1960s. I don't think one more dead kid is going to change that momentum.

I hope I'm completely wrong in my cynicism though.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
  • Re: Brutal Rogues of Islam tried to kill that 13 year old girl Malala Yousafzai
     Reply #31 - October 10, 2012, 06:40 PM

Thanks allat. I think your tone of weary pessimism is echoed by alot of Pakistanis whose thoughts I read online, on Guardian CiF and elsewhere.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #32 - October 10, 2012, 06:43 PM

After reading the Hitchens article TheDarkRebel linked to, I was left thinking the most likely fate of Pakistan is complete disintegratiion into chaos.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #33 - October 10, 2012, 07:03 PM

She sounds like a remarkable young woman. Pakistan has lost so many remarkable people over the years, either to migration (if they were lucky) or to death (if they were not that lucky). How is a country supposed to progress when it keeps either driving out or killing its best, brightest and most promising people?

This is a piece written by the documentarian who made that NY Times film I posted before:

Malala Yousufzai: My ‘small video star’ fights for her life
    October 10, 2012
    by Adam B. Ellick

Don’t be fooled by her gentle demeanor and soft voice. Malala is also fantastically stubborn and feisty — traits that I hope will enable her recovery. PHOTO: FAZAL KHALIQ/ EXPRESS

I had the privilege of following Malala Yousafzai, on and off, for six months in 2009, documenting some of the most critical days of her life for a two-part documentary. We filmed her final school day before the Taliban closed down her school in Pakistan’s Swat Valley; the summer when war displaced and separated her family; the day she pleaded with President Obama’s special representative to Afghanistan and Pakistan, Richard Holbrooke, to intervene; and the uncertain afternoon she returned to discover the fate of her home, school and her two pet chickens.

A year after my two-part documentary on her family was finished, Malala and her father, Ziauddin, had become my friends. They stayed with me in Islamabad. Malala inherited my old Apple laptop. Once, we went shopping together for English-language books and DVDs. When Malala opted for some trashy American sitcoms, I was forced to remind myself that this girl – who had never shuddered at beheaded corpses, public floggings, and death threats directed at her father — was still just a kid.

Today, she is a teenager, fighting for her life after being gunned down by the Taliban for doing what girls do all over the world: going to school.

The Malala I know transformed with age from an obedient, rather shy 11-year-old into a publicly fearless teenager consumed with taking her activism to new heights. Her father’s personal crusade to restore female education seemed contagious. He is a poet, a school owner and an unflinching educational activist. Ziauddin is truly one of most inspiring and loving people I’ve ever met, and my heart aches for him today. He adores his two sons, but he often referred to Malala as something entirely special. When he sent the boys to bed, Malala was permitted to sit with us as we talked about life and politics deep into the night.

(Adam Ellick, the author, right, with Malala Yousafzai and her father, Ziauddin.)

After the film was seen, Malala became even more emboldened. She hosted foreign diplomats in Swat, held news conferences on peace and education, and as a result, won a host of peace awards. Her best work, however, was that she kept going to school.

In the documentary, and on the surface, Malala comes across as a steady, calming force, undeterred by anxiety or risk. She is mature beyond her years. She never displayed a mood swing and never complained about my laborious and redundant interviews.

But don’t be fooled by her gentle demeanor and soft voice. Malala is also fantastically stubborn and feisty — traits that I hope will enable her recovery. When we struggled to secure a dial-up connection for her laptop, her Luddite father scurried over to offer his advice. She didn’t roll an eye or bark back. Instead, she diplomatically told her father that she, not he, was the person to solve the problem — an uncommon act that defies Pakistani familial tradition. As he walked away, she offered me a smirk of confidence.

Another day, Ziauddin forgot Malala’s birthday, and the nonconfrontational daughter couldn’t hold it in. She ridiculed her father in a text message and forced him to apologise and to buy everyone a round of ice cream — which always made her really happy.

Her father was a bit traditional, and as a result, I was unable to interact with her mother. I used to chide Ziauddin about these restrictions, especially in front of Malala. Her father would laugh dismissively and joke that Malala should not be listening. Malala beamed as I pressed her father to treat his wife as an equal. Sometimes I felt like her de-facto uncle. I could tell her father the things she couldn’t.

I first met Malala in January 2009, just 10 days before the Taliban planned to close down her girls’ school, and hundreds of others in the Swat Valley. It was too dangerous to travel to Swat, so we met in a dingy guesthouse on the outskirts of Peshawar, the same city where she is today fighting for her life in a military hospital.

In 10 days, her father would lose the family business, and Malala would lose her fifth-grade education. I was there to assess the risks of reporting on this issue. With the help of a Pakistani journalist, I started interviewing Ziauddin. My anxiety rose with each of his answers. Militants controlled the checkpoints. They murdered anyone who dissented, often leaving beheaded corpses on the main square. Swat was too dangerous for a documentary.

I then solicited Malala’s opinion. Irfan Ashraf, a Pakistani journalist who was assisting my reporting and who knew the family, translated the conversation. This went on for about 10 minutes until I noticed, from her body language, that Malala understood my questions in English.

“Do you speak English?” I asked her.

“Yes, of course,” she said in perfect English. “I was just saying there is a fear in my heart that the Taliban are going to close my school.”

I was enamoured by Malala’s presence ever since that sentence. But Swat was still too risky. For the first time in my career, I was in the awkward position of trying to convince a source, Ziauddin, that the story was not worth the risk. But Ziauddin fairly argued that he was already a public activist in Swat, prominent in the local press, and that if the Taliban wanted to kill him or his family, they would do so anyway. He said he was willing to die for the cause. But I never asked Malala if she was willing to die as well.

Finally, my favorite memory of Malala is the only time I was with her without her father. It’s the scene at the end of the film, when she is exploring her decrepit classroom, which the military had turned into a bunker after they had pushed the Taliban out of the valley. I asked her to give me a tour of the ruins of the school. The scene seems written or staged. But all I did was press record and this 11-year-old girl spoke eloquently from the heart.

She noticed how the soldiers drilled a lookout hole into the wall of her classroom, scribbling on the wall with a yellow highlighter, “This is Pakistan.”

Malala looked at the marking and said:

“Look! This is Pakistan. Taliban destroyed us.”

In her latest e-mail to me, in all caps, she wrote, “I WANT AN ACCESS TO THE WORLD OF KNOWLEDGE.” And she signed it, “YOUR SMALL VIDEO STAR.”

I too wanted her to access the broader world, so during one of my final nights in Pakistan, I took a long midnight walk with her father and spoke to him frankly about options for Malala’s education. I was less concerned with her safety as the Pakistani military had, in large part, won the war against the Taliban. We talked about her potential to thrive on a global level, and I suggested a few steps toward securing scholarships for elite boarding schools in Pakistan, or even in the United States. Her father beamed with pride, but added:

“In a few years. She isn’t ready yet.”

I don’t think he was ready to let her go. And who can blame him for that?

source

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #34 - October 10, 2012, 07:10 PM

After reading the Hitchens article TheDarkRebel linked to, I was left thinking the most likely fate of Pakistan is complete disintegration into chaos.

Foreign aid is a joke. It's basically the transfer of wealth from the poor people in wealthy countries to the rich people in poor countries. Especially the foreign aid sent to violent states like Pakistan, Israel and Saudi Arabia (in the form of oil consumption if nothing else). Foreign aid should be cut off as should structural adjustment programs. Oh but then, we are talking against the mood of this era which is all about "free" trade. Free for the already-wealthy that is. The poor in Pakistan see not a penny of the billions sent to that country. In fact, the more our countries send aid, the worse off the poor there get, as we are only arming and helping the elites there get more powerful and have bigger guns, with zero accountability to their own people.

Reply #35 - October 10, 2012, 07:14 PM

That girl showed more guts than most Pakistani politicians I guess.

God is Love.

Reply #36 - October 10, 2012, 07:15 PM

***~Church is where bad people go to hide~***
     Reply #37 - October 10, 2012, 07:17 PM

Foreign aid is a joke. It's basically the transfer of wealth from the poor people in wealthy countries to the rich people in poor countries.

That's an oversimplification. As just one example, Australia has recently funded a hospital on the north coast of PNG, which has direct benefits for local poor people.

Reply #38 - October 10, 2012, 07:21 PM

Yeah maybe there are exceptions in certain places, but foreign aid is just a bandaid we give to poorer countries so that we can feel less bad about fucking their people over in other ways via unfair trade practices and military incursions. And the vast, vast majority of foreign aid going to Pakistan is being pocketed by everyone at the top echelons of its political and military strata. This is actually common knowledge among Pakistanis. And there is absolutely nothing anyone can do about it. The system is built to corrupt whoever takes over from the last person. The corruption is so deep, there is no way one or 2 or a dozen people can change it, even if they were completely incorruptible themselves.

Reply #39 - October 10, 2012, 07:22 PM

I can see what allat means though. The way aid is structured often doesn't help the recipient country, well, structurally. That's not to say that it can't make a difference in certain areas though.

God is Love.

Reply #40 - October 10, 2012, 07:24 PM

Yeah maybe there are exceptions in certain places, but foreign aid is just a bandaid we give to poorer countries so that we can feel less bad about fucking their people over in other ways via unfair trade practices and military incursions. And the vast, vast majority of foreign aid going to Pakistan is being pocketed by everyone at the top echelons of its political and military strata. This is actually common knowledge among Pakistanis. And there is absolutely nothing anyone can do about it. The system is built to corrupt whoever takes over from the last person. The corruption is so deep, there is no way one or 2 or a dozen people can change it, even if they were completely incorruptible themselves.

Not just the leakage through corruption but the dependency of the elite upon it means they can shirk their responsibility to the nation building themselves.

Also trade + aid is better. Develop industries, give them access to markets.

God is Love.

Reply #41 - October 10, 2012, 07:31 PM

Oh I agree it's a good assessment of foreign aid to Pakistan. Not sure what would happen if you cut it off, though. Since the military depend on it, they would have to find some other way of raising money and/or justifying their existence. Could be interesting.

Reply #42 - October 10, 2012, 07:31 PM

Yep. That's why any Pakistani who isn't from a family that benefits from foreign aid will say the same thing: CUT OFF FOREIGN AID. It is what keeps this shit going in Pakistan, like oil consumption keeps the shit in Saudi Arabia going.

Develop markets, yes, but in sustainable ways, not via forcing poverty upon people so they are willing to work for a penny a day, not by forcing countries to have zero environmental protections or worker's rights. That is what our countries are doing, especially the US. Making these people work as our slaves. So yeah they turn to religion, partly for solace and partly just because that is the only way they see a way to assert any power over those countries' people who are looting them. Their own religious and political leaders are looting them, but y'know how it is once a mob gets going... all rationality goes out the window.

If wealthier countries really gave a shit about poorer countries, they would be doing what the Marshall Plan did for Germany after WW2, instead of throwing money at the feudal lords to keep the poor down. It would be cheaper too, than all this aid that gets thrown around.

Reply #43 - October 10, 2012, 07:34 PM

Oh I agree it's a good assessment of foreign aid to Pakistan. Not sure what would happen if you cut it off, though. Since the military depend on it, they would have to find some other way of raising money and/or justifying their existence. Could be interesting.

Oh yeah the transition now that Pakistanis are armed individually and as a nation would not be easy. That's why I tell people to GTFO of there. Even if things get better there, I don't think they will get better until they have gotten much much worse.

Reply #44 - October 10, 2012, 07:36 PM

...by forcing countries to have zero environmental protections or worker's rights............

Countries choose their own legislation. You can't blame all the problems on external factors. The main reason a lot of countries have no environmental or workforce protection is because they are run by people who don't give a shit.

Reply #45 - October 10, 2012, 07:38 PM

Oh yeah the transition now that Pakistanis are armed individually and as a nation would not be easy. That's why I tell people to GTFO of there. Even if things get better there, I don't think they will get better until they have gotten much much worse.

Yup, that's what I've been thinking lately. I don't think Pakistan will change substantially until it's had one hell of a catharsis, most likely involving both civil war and war with India.

Reply #46 - October 10, 2012, 07:39 PM

Countries choose their own legislation. You can't blame all the problems on external factors. The main reason a lot of countries have no environmental or workforce protection is because they are run by people who don't give a shit.

It's not that simple.

Countries that get foreign aid, only get it by following certain conditions. That is required by the IMF and World Bank. They're called structural adjustment plans, among other names. These include conditions that the aid-receiving country will mandate that there can be no workers' rights organizations, and no environmental protections, no public education (or very little funding for it) and no universal healthcare. These conditions have to be met in order for aid to get to the grubby hands of the country's politicians and military.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structural_adjustment

Reply #47 - October 10, 2012, 07:41 PM

These conditions have to be met in order for aid to get to the grubby hands of the country's politicians and military.

Which sounds remarkably like being run by people who don't give a shit, no? Smiley

Reply #48 - October 10, 2012, 07:41 PM

Structural Adjustment—a Major Cause of Poverty

Many developing nations are in debt and poverty partly due to the policies of international institutions such as the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the World Bank.

Their programs have been heavily criticized for many years for resulting in poverty. In addition, for developing or third world countries, there has been an increased dependency on the richer nations. This is despite the IMF and World Bank’s claim that they will reduce poverty.

Following an ideology known as neoliberalism, and spearheaded by these and other institutions known as the “Washington Consensus” (for being based in Washington D.C.), Structural Adjustment Policies (SAPs) have been imposed to ensure debt repayment and economic restructuring. But the way it has happened has required poor countries to reduce spending on things like health, education and development, while debt repayment and other economic policies have been made the priority. In effect, the IMF and World Bank have demanded that poor nations lower the standard of living of their people.

A Spiraling Race to the Bottom

As detailed further below, the IMF and World Bank provide financial assistance to countries seeking it, but apply a neoliberal economic ideology or agenda as a precondition to receiving the money. For example:

They prescribe cutbacks, “liberalization” of the economy and resource extraction/export-oriented open markets as part of their structural adjustment.
        The role of the state is minimized.
        Privatization is encouraged as well as reduced protection of domestic industries.
        Other adjustment policies also include currency devaluation, increased interest rates, “flexibility” of the labor market, and the elimination of subsidies such as food subsidies.
        To be attractive to foreign investors various regulations and standards are reduced or removed.

The impact of these preconditions on poorer countries can be devastating. Factors such as the following lead to further misery for the developing nations and keep them dependent on developed nations:

Poor countries must export more in order to raise enough money to pay off their debts in a timely manner.
        Because there are so many nations being asked or forced into the global market place—before they are economically and socially stable and ready—and told to concentrate on similar cash crops and commodities as others, the situation resembles a large-scale price war.
        Then, the resources from the poorer regions become even cheaper, which favors consumers in the West.
        Governments then need to increase exports just to keep their currencies stable (which may not be sustainable, either) and earn foreign exchange with which to help pay off debts.
        Governments therefore must:
            spend less
            reduce consumption
            remove or decrease financial regulations
            and so on.
        Over time then:
            the value of labor decreases
            capital flows become more volatile
            a spiraling race to the bottom then begins, which generates
            social unrest, which in turn leads to "IMF riots" and protests around the world
        These nations are then told to peg their currencies to the dollar. But keeping the exchange rate stable is costly due to measures such as increased interest rates.
        Investors obviously concerned about their assets and interests can then pull out very easily if things get tough
            In the worst cases, capital flight can lead to economic collapse, such as we saw in the Asian/global financial crises of 1997/98/99, or in Mexico, Brazil, and many other places. During and after a crisis, the mainstream media and free trade economists lay the blame on emerging markets and their governments’ restrictive or inefficient policies, crony capitalism, etc., which is a cruel irony.
        When IMF donors keep the exchange rates in their favor, it often means that the poor nations remain poor, or get even poorer. Even the 1997/98/99 global financial crisis can be partly blamed on structural adjustment and early, overly aggressive deregulation for emerging economies.

Reply #49 - October 10, 2012, 07:44 PM

Which sounds remarkably like being run by people who don't give a shit, no? Smiley

Nobody in their right mind is denying corruption of the politicians or military there. There is a matter about our countries' accountability also, in enabling the corruption for the benefit of our multinational corporations (not the average people here who are still paying taxes out of which a chunk goes back to military incursions and foreign aid to protect multinational interests).

Reply #50 - October 10, 2012, 07:46 PM

Also, if a country refuses to comply, the US has a tendency to go in and stage a military coup. See Iran after Mosadegh, Pakistan after Z.A. Bhutto, various South American states throughout the 80s (google "banana republics").

Reply #51 - October 10, 2012, 07:48 PM

Yeah Pakistan is a typical US foreign policy fuckup, based on their theory that if they don't give loads of money to complete arseholes, some other complete arseholes might gain power. It's a brilliant system.

Reply #52 - October 10, 2012, 07:51 PM

The US and its allies believed for a long time that it's easier to pay off a big man with a big gun to keep the rest down and working for practically nothing. Didn't quite think through what happens when the big man with a big gun gives those guns to his goons who turn around and try to kill you, and what happens when everyone else acquires guns, too, and wants payback.

Reply #53 - October 10, 2012, 07:53 PM

Of course the US thinks it will be fine as long as they are the biggest weapons manufacturers (which is why over half their budget goes to their military). Now that China is up there in that field, I think shit is only looking worse for the US and US-based economies (which is like all of them now), because China can make guns and sell them to both sides too.

Reply #54 - October 10, 2012, 07:57 PM

Yup, that's what I've been thinking lately. I don't think Pakistan will change substantially until it's had one hell of a catharsis, most likely involving both civil war and war with India.

I really hope not. But yeah... it's looking like that. India needs to be the better person and reach out (there are efforts to do that AFAIK). I have a lot more hope for India. Pakistan is the bastard child and there has been a lot of shit between the 2 countries. But it is in India's interest to help alleviate its neighbour's insanity, rather than stoke it (which a small, fringe hindu nationalist minority does tend to do).

Reply #55 - October 10, 2012, 08:01 PM

War with India - that is what is scary, with the nukes.

God is Love.

Reply #56 - October 10, 2012, 08:06 PM

Well if Pakistan itself turns to shit (what with Taliban supporters in the ISI and everything else) then the obvious old ploy is to promote conflict with an external enemy to distract the populace. Throw religious differences and fanaticism into the mix and you have a perfect storm situation.

Reply #57 - October 10, 2012, 08:25 PM

Well as Billy mentioned above both countries are nuclear powers and if they go to war I find it extremely hard to imagine Pakistan being better off. 

The only way Pakistan would be able to recover after a nuclear attack would be by some major foreign aid. Of course with all the corruption it's a futile hope that the aid to recover from nuclear attack would actually be put to good use and not pocketed by the politicians (as allat mentioned in previous posts).

Yep. That's why any Pakistani who isn't from a family that benefits from foreign aid will say the same thing: CUT OFF FOREIGN AID. It is what keeps this shit going in Pakistan, like oil consumption keeps the shit in Saudi Arabia going.

Develop markets, yes, but in sustainable ways, not via forcing poverty upon people so they are willing to work for a penny a day, not by forcing countries to have zero environmental protections or worker's rights. That is what our countries are doing, especially the US. Making these people work as our slaves. So yeah they turn to religion, partly for solace and partly just because that is the only way they see a way to assert any power over those countries' people who are looting them. Their own religious and political leaders are looting them, but y'know how it is once a mob gets going... all rationality goes out the window.

If wealthier countries really gave a shit about poorer countries, they would be doing what the Marshall Plan did for Germany after WW2, instead of throwing money at the feudal lords to keep the poor down. It would be cheaper too, than all this aid that gets thrown around.

Well one of the major reasons the U.S. participated in the Marshall plan was to prevent the spread of communism in Europe. To encourage them to do the same with Pakistan you would have to give them reasons on how the U.S. would benefit (ideologically or economically).   

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #58 - October 10, 2012, 08:26 PM

How about Islamic militancy. Y'know that little thing called the War on Terror the US has been engaged in for 11 years.

Reply #59 - October 10, 2012, 08:27 PM

Are there any updates on how the girl is doing?

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
  • Previous page 1 23 4 ... 7 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »