Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Psychology of Religion

(Read 2187 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Psychology of Religion
     OP - October 04, 2012, 07:42 PM

I am a clinical psychologist with additional training in linguistics.
    My interest is to make psychological theories and research widely available so that people can reflected on the personal meanings and religion.
    Discussion rather than polemic is the requirement. It may turn out that I have been wrong all along, and Gabriel really did announce the brith of Jesus and whsiper in the ear of Mohammed. But I still doubt it.
    Psycholgoy is not automatically atheist, though it is certainly quite hard to adhere strongly to any particular religion once you have taken a wide psychological perspective!

The Muslims with whom I work professionally are often aware of psychological issues, eg. the OCD possibilities of the wudu, or guilt and fear of Hell.
    Some issues give them more difficulty. One is the idea that breakdown of Islamic belief will result in an immediate wave of father-daughter incest. Does anybody have relevant evidence?
    Another is narcissism. Can one feel valuable and special if not selected by God, ane we are only specks of dust in a godless cosmos?
    And how should one deal with the rage if I feel that someone has "insulted the prophet", i.e. lowered my public prestige.
    Good two-way communication with speakers of Arabic, Urdu, Bahasa is needed. A bit of German would help too, as I am struggling with Luxenberg's book on the Quran/ a-Qeryana.
    Get in touch.
    The blog is in the Philosophy section of the forum.

Ed
  • Re: Psychology of Religion
     Reply #1 - October 04, 2012, 07:55 PM

Very interesting background Ed, welcome to the forum.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

• Tamerlan Tsarnaev: the narcissism of the shahid
     Reply #2 - April 27, 2013, 04:51 PM

Tamerlan Tsarnaev: the narcissism of the shahid
    In a psychological perspective, acts of violence by would-be shahid achieve the following: an attempt to transform the self from unhappiness to bliss, an explosive act directed at a diffuse tormentor, the admiration of imagined onlookers, and the voidance of criticism. The Greek Narcissisus myth was used to Freud to describe the wish to be the centre of parental attention in infancy. While this is healthy, unmet needs for admiration in adult life are accompanied by rage and usually futile attempts to gain admiration.
    There are strong hints that Tamerlan Tsarnaev fell into the seduction of the shahid myth. The fundamental duty of witness (shahid) in Islam may include acts of self-sacrifice. Those who are judged to have expressed their witness by sacrificing their lives are granted special privileges in Islam. All their sins and guilt are absolved, they are exempt from interrogation by the angels, and go straight to Paradise. In the most beautiful part of Paradise the shahid will be accompanied by seventy virgins. His wounds will glow with divine ruby light and smell of musk. Whereas other mortals may never return from Paradise, the shahid may return a further ten times to repeat his sacrifice. His mortal remains do not need washing, as the act of witness has purified them.
    Tamerlan Tsarnaev’s interest in Salafi Islam seems to have occurred in early 2012, where he was reportedly a frequent visitor at a mosque on Kotrova Street in Makhachkala, the capital of Muslim Dagestan. On his return to Boston he started attending services at the mosque in Cambridge Massachusetts. His anger was directed at Sufis, whom he considered deviants from Salafi Islam. He stood up one day and called the imam a "munafiq", or hypocrite. On a YouTube channel (in Russian), he shared videos of lectures from a radical Islamic cleric; in one, voices can be heard singing in Arabic as bombs explode. He insisted in trying to read the Koran in Arabic and studied alone at his computer. There are hints of self-destructive urges: last March he used the hashtag #chechnyanpower and then wrote: "a decade in America already, I want out".
    Can we predict who will fall into the narcissistic shahid trap? An interest in return to supposedly uncorrupted Salafi/Wahhabi Islam is one sign. Narcissistic vulnerability is the other: the person feels a sense of humiliation and is socially isolated. The pattern is well enough established that Muslims should properly disown this section of the Qur’an so that narcissistically vulnerable people will not be seduced into wanting to be shahid.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »