Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 06:51 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 28, 2024, 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Laptop Suggestions, please

(Read 1640 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Laptop Suggestions, please
     OP - June 30, 2012, 07:32 PM

So, my current laptop looks like it's been through a war or two. I've had it for 2.5-4 years now & I've never been too

fond of it. Too big, too heavy, battery life sucks. Got a new battery for it last year, and while new it lasted a good 3

hours ( Tongue). It deteriorated quickly from there. It's an HP Pavilion DV6000. Does anyone have any suggestions for a

new laptop that is light, with better battery life, has a screen between 12-15 in, lasts a long time, and doesn't

double as a brick?

"We were married by a Reform rabbi in Long Island. A very Reform rabbi. A Nazi."-- Woody Allen
  • Re: Laptop Suggestions, please
     Reply #1 - June 30, 2012, 08:14 PM

I recently bought a laptop. I did some research and went with an Asus. It is awesome, no real complaints so far.

Actually the only real complaint I have is that when I bought it, it came partitioned with a C: drive and a D: drive. The C: drive is supposed to be for software installations and the D: drive is for data. The C: drive only has 75 GB, whereas the D: drive has 205 GB. I am already at the max space on the C: drive which means I cannot install anymore programs without first removing something.

So in the sum, I would definitely recommend an ASUS, they are great. But check out how the hard drive is partitioned and see if you can get one without 2 partitions on it.
     Reply #2 - June 30, 2012, 10:02 PM

My brother just got a Toshiba Satellite (dunno the model, I'm sorry!!!).

It's really good. yes

As for battery life, it lasts 2+ hours? But it's only like a month old, so yeah....

I didn't know if Toshiba laptops were any good, but it literally does not heat up, so I'm guessing they are good.

OH and it's really light and has a number pad. And the keys are nice, so is the trackpad (not too slippery or anything).

Self ban for Ramadan (THAT RHYMES)

Expect me to come back a Muslim. Cool Tongue j/k we'll see..
     Reply #3 - June 30, 2012, 10:33 PM

Toshiba and Asus are the best laptops available. I had an Asus, which only just died after six years of hard use. I'm totally sold on anything Asus, but Toshiba are about as good for reliability. According to my local pooter shop, these two brands are in a class of their own for lappys.

Tonyt: if you are running W7, you can resize the partitions easily. Just resize the D down to a handy size first, then increase the size of C.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #4 - June 30, 2012, 10:37 PM

Os might get mad at me for saying this but: Macbook Pros have awesome battery life, and they're really light. And apparently you can get W7 with them, though my sis didn't do that on hers so I dunno what the whole format is.

But they're insanely expensive....also, if you ruin the keyboard or something (if you're prone to that sort of thing), then khalas no more laptop. :/

Self ban for Ramadan (THAT RHYMES)

Expect me to come back a Muslim. Cool Tongue j/k we'll see..
     Reply #5 - August 28, 2012, 11:37 PM

I recently bought a laptop. I did some research and went with an Asus. It is awesome, no real complaints so far.

Actually the only real complaint I have is that when I bought it, it came partitioned with a C: drive and a D: drive. The C: drive is supposed to be for software installations and the D: drive is for data. The C: drive only has 75 GB, whereas the D: drive has 205 GB. I am already at the max space on the C: drive which means I cannot install anymore programs without first removing something.

So in the sum, I would definitely recommend an ASUS, they are great. But check out how the hard drive is partitioned and see if you can get one without 2 partitions on it.

Thanks for the suggestions, people. Which Asus do you have, TonyT?

"We were married by a Reform rabbi in Long Island. A very Reform rabbi. A Nazi."-- Woody Allen
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »