Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Personal Motivation - Byte Sized tips, pics, quotes

(Read 44112 times)
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Personal Motivation - Byte Sized tips, pics, quotes
     OP - August 24, 2012, 06:03 PM

In this here *snark free* zone, let's share our favourite tips and techniques to stay motivated, to accomplish our personal goals. Whether it is to get healthier, be more positive-minded, deal with adversity, reach a milestone, create something, or anything else that a person could want to do in their life. We all need a reminder now and then, we all need motivation from the outside, even when we realize that it is our inner drive and commitment to achieving our goal, that ultimately gets us there.

So, share what has kept you going, and what you would like to remember. Share it for others to gain inspiration from, and share it for yourself to come back and look over on the days when you're running low on motivation. It can be quotes, anecdotes, images, anything. There is a time and place for lengthier, more drawn out engagements that teach us how to stay on top of our game. This thread is for bite-sized morsels that will fuel you on your journey towards being a better, more successful, and most importantly, HAPPIER version of yourself. Smiley

Just keep it positive, please. And try to be sensitive to others. This is not a place to beat people down but to lift people up. Share what motivates YOU.

To start with:

Some quotes that help me when I am feeling down:

"Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties."
    -Erich Fromm

One who makes no mistakes, never makes anything.

"You stop worrying about what other people think about you when you realize how little they do."
    -Mark Twain

"What you fear most has already happened."
    -Annie Rodgers

“Live dangerously and you live right.”
    -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

A bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to make the turn.

Due to circumstances beyond your control, you are master of your fate and captain of your soul.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
  • Re: Personal Motivation - Byte Sized tips, pics, quotes
     Reply #1 - August 24, 2012, 06:37 PM

I like this quote.

"Life can be much broader once you discover one simple fact, and that is, everything around you that you call life was made up by people that were no smarter than you ... the minute that you understand that you can poke life ... that you can change it, you can mould it ... that's maybe the most important thing."

~ Steve Jobs

Life is what happens to you while you're staring at your smartphone.

Eternal Sunshine of the Religionless Mind
     Reply #2 - August 24, 2012, 07:10 PM

-
     Reply #3 - August 24, 2012, 07:22 PM

Reply #4 - August 25, 2012, 10:29 AM

"If you're going through hell, keep going." ~ Winston Churchill

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #5 - August 25, 2012, 11:21 AM

Due to circumstances beyond your control, you are master of your fate and captain of your soul.

In full:

Out of the night that covers me
    Black as the Pit from pole to pole
    I thank whatever gods may be   
    For my unconquerable soul

In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud
    Under the bludgeonings of chance   
    My head is bloody, but unbowed

Beyond this place of wrath and tears   
    Looms but the Horror of the shade
    And yet the menace of the years   
    Finds, and shall find, me unafraid

It matters not how strait the gate
    How charged with punishments the scroll
    I am the master of my fate
    I am the captain of my soul

~ William Ernest Henley, Invictus

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #6 - August 25, 2012, 11:37 AM

Reply #7 - August 25, 2012, 01:55 PM

^ I like Camus. But that seems like a licence for breaking taboos like cold–blooded murder, sex with animals and sex with children in order to achieve ‘freedom’.
     Reply #8 - August 25, 2012, 06:42 PM

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #9 - August 25, 2012, 09:40 PM

^ I like Camus. But that seems like a licence for breaking taboos like cold–blooded murder, sex with animals and sex with children in order to achieve ‘freedom’.

Good point.

In theory, yes. Camus explored the possible implications of his philosophy in his novel The Stranger, where the protagonist goes so far as to commit murder without even feeling any remorse. In practice, however, I think Camus recognized the necessity of some sort of social morality. He was a member of the French Communist Party, after all. But he had a fallout with the communism of his era, which was co-opted by the Stalinists, and instead became associated with the anarchist movement.

I think the point of his quote is that you should always go against the grain to the point that your identity becomes that of rebellion. You have to be a rebel and thus unafraid of questioning anything and everything. It doesn't necessarily mean you should think you have the right to kill, but that you should know why killing is wrong, rather than just following "thou shalt not kill" blindly. Morality can be social, but it ought to be derived from individual autonomy. That, ultimately, is the basis of anarchist philosophy.
     Reply #10 - August 28, 2012, 12:34 PM

"I'm going to show you how great I am...." - Muhammed Ali

"I dare you to take a little pain...Pain is temporary...I dare you to take a little pain...you ain't gonna die"

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #11 - August 28, 2012, 01:54 PM

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #12 - August 28, 2012, 02:05 PM

Reply #13 - August 28, 2012, 02:14 PM

Actually that last image^ Is good one. Reminds you, that you can read a million plus one of these, and temporarily feel a boost, but nothing will change in the long run until you change your mentality. I think it's possible to change it in an instance, but it's what you do after that is crucial to continue this way. Be courageous. These sorts of words do nothing, but make you feel this way or that way. You need to make a decision, take it to heart, really stop, think (not too long, thoughts tend to wander here there, everywhere) and do, stay on the same line. Life doesn't have to shape you, you can shape life.

On that note...I need to get off here.

Reply #14 - August 28, 2012, 02:39 PM

grin12 i really like this thread..
     Reply #15 - August 28, 2012, 04:14 PM

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

~ Mark Twain ~

Reply #16 - August 28, 2012, 07:15 PM

I would have liked that better had they been able to spell correctly.
     Reply #17 - August 28, 2012, 07:41 PM

Grin

Reply #18 - August 28, 2012, 08:10 PM

Like that one a lot. And this thread in general  Afro

Reply #19 - August 29, 2012, 09:33 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STp1UtMrKR4&feature=related

Reply #20 - September 14, 2012, 06:55 AM

Reply #21 - September 14, 2012, 04:32 PM

Who do YOU want to be in life?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH0nP4NzS9M

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself
    - 32nd United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt
     Reply #22 - September 14, 2012, 07:57 PM

Beautiful and inspiring! Afro
     Reply #23 - September 15, 2012, 07:08 AM

I like this, especially the bold part:
    Body image: ‘ I can always say, “I’d love my body if my legs were thinner, I’d love my hair if it were thicker.” You can do things to change the way you look, but it’s good to just say, “I love myself in this moment.”… As soon as you stop getting pimples, you start getting wrinkles, so what’s there to be upset about?’

Leighton Meester

Grin

Very true.

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #24 - September 15, 2012, 08:52 AM

This is the philosophy I try to live, hard as it may be in a culture where sitting on public transport is supposed to be...awkward.

How can you reason with someone who hasn't used reason to get there in the first place?

-Jonathan Swift.

OH GURL
     Reply #25 - October 10, 2012, 09:34 PM

Reply #26 - October 10, 2012, 10:27 PM

“It is never too late to be what you might have been” - George Eliot

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #27 - October 11, 2012, 08:30 PM

"There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and there is only one of you in all time. This expression is unique, and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium; and be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, not how it compares with other expression. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You have to keep open and aware directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, a blessed unrest that keeps us marching and makes us more alive than the others."

- Martha Graham, 1943

She was talking about dancing, but she applied her philosophy of dance to all avenues of her life. Such an inspiring, unique, beautiful human being.

Reply #28 - October 11, 2012, 08:38 PM

As a friend once told me 'Discipline is exactly like a muscle, the more you use it, the stronger it gets. Even small acts serve as good exercise'

"Nobody who lived through the '50s thought the '60s could've existed. So there's always hope."-Tuli Kupferberg

What apple stores are like.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8QmZWv-eBI
     Reply #29 - October 11, 2012, 08:41 PM

That life is worth living is the most necessary of assumptions and, were it not assumed, the most impossible of conclusions. - George Santayana

^ strangely comforting that quote

Started from the bottom, now I'm here
    Started from the bottom, now my whole extended family's here

JOIN THE CHAT
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »