Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Tony Nicklinson, RIP

(Read 1681 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Tony Nicklinson, RIP
     OP - August 23, 2012, 10:25 AM

Tony Nicklinson dies six days after losing 'right to die' case

Tony Nicklinson, the locked-in syndrome sufferer who went to the high court to fight to be allowed to end his life with the help of a doctor, has died, just six days after losing the case, his lawyers said. He had been refusing food since the verdict, but contracted pneumonia and "went rapidly downhill last weekend", they said.

His lawyer, Saimo Chahal of Bindmans, said Nicklinson's wife, Jane, told her after the draft judgment was handed down on 12 August that "the fight seemed to go out of him".

"He said that he was heartbroken by the high court's decision that he could not end his life at a time of his choosing with the help of a doctor," Chahal said.

Nicklinson, 58, died at home at 10am on Wednesday, with his wife, his daughters Beth and Lauren, as well as his sister Ginny, at his side. All had supported his legal action to be helped to die.

Wiltshire police said Nicklinson's doctor had certified that his death was from natural causes and they were not involved.

Chahal visited Nicklinson two days after the high court decision, along with his barrister, Paul Bowen QC. Communicating via a computer, which he operated by eye movements, he told her: "So, we lost. In truth I am crestfallen, totally devastated and very frightened. I fear for the future and the misery it is bound to bring.

"I suppose it was wrong of me to invest so much hope and expectation into the judgment but I really believed in the veracity of the arguments and quite simply could not understand how anybody could disagree with the logic. I guess I forgot the emotional component."

[cont..]

Parliament have completely stonewalled this, evading their ethical responsibility. It's so utterly shocking that people can be so morally blind. It makes me so fucking angry. They need their face pressed in it under a boot heel and be forced to acknowledge the suffering they cause.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
  • Re: Tony Nicklinson, RIP
     Reply #1 - August 23, 2012, 10:33 AM

I was pretty happy to learn that he died. Just wish it had been under less tragic circumstances.

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #2 - August 23, 2012, 10:37 AM

Parliament have completely stonewalled this, evading their ethical responsibility. It's so utterly shocking that people can be so morally blind. It makes me so fucking angry. They need their face pressed in it under a boot heel and be forced to acknowledge the suffering they cause.

That is not utterly shocking to me Ishina., but what chokes me, shakes me and shocks me is   such guys are in the parliment making rules for millions and even for  billion people..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #3 - August 23, 2012, 10:47 AM

Looks like common sense is not so common after all. A man wants to die with dignity but the state disallows it! Cry

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #4 - August 23, 2012, 10:52 AM

His death was meaningless. He suffered unnecessarily. His death could have meant something. His last moments could have been that of world-changing achievement. World-bettering.

Parliament has had chance after chance to change defunct century-old legislation. Their moral sense on this issue is a full century behind modern science, medicine and human rights and shows no sign of progressing in the near future. Their incompetence, negligence and indifference is a bottleneck for humanity. Their position on this is inconsistent. Absolutely indefensible - morally, ethically, rationally, intellectually indefensible. The evidence and testimony arrayed against them had to be completely ignored in its entirety for them to arrive at this ruling. The debate is closed. It never began.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #5 - August 23, 2012, 09:39 PM

RIP, Tony.   Afro

Great man.  Your contribution to the debate has been invaluable.  I'm sure the law will change some day.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »