Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: So the Mars Vehicle Curiosity Closes in on its New 'Home' "MARS"

(Read 22971 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: So the Mars Vehicle Curiosity Closes in on its New 'Home' "MARS"
     Reply #30 - August 10, 2012, 12:09 AM

This talk from him floored me..

It's funny you should bring that up, I was actually watching it earlier. He's also got a great sense of humor. TedTalks is  Afro

"The more powerful and original a mind, the more it will incline toward the religion of solitude."

"i used to steal my sisters barbies so i could take their clothes off and perv on them" - prince spinoza
     Reply #31 - August 10, 2012, 12:12 AM

Holly allah doll what an Image....

(Clicky for piccy!)

courtesy of NASA

This image just makes me wish that dinosaurs lived on Mars even more.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #32 - August 10, 2012, 10:24 AM

Curiosity Spotted on Parachute by Orbiter

NASA's Curiosity rover and its parachute were spotted by NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter as Curiosity descended to the surface on Aug. 5 PDT (Aug. 6 EDT). The High-Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera captured this image of Curiosity while the orbiter was listening to transmissions from the rover. Curiosity and its parachute are in the center of the white box. The rover is descending toward the etched plains just north of the sand dunes that fringe "Mt. Sharp." From the perspective of the orbiter, the parachute and Curiosity are flying at an angle relative to the surface, so the landing site does not appear directly below the rover.

The parachute appears fully inflated and performing perfectly. Details in the parachute, such as the band gap at the edges and the central hole, are clearly seen. The cords connecting the parachute to the back shell cannot be seen, although they were seen in the image of NASA's Phoenix lander descending, perhaps due to the difference in lighting angles. The bright spot on the back shell containing Curiosity might be a specular reflection off of a shiny area. Curiosity was released from the back shell sometime after this image was acquired.

This view is one product from an observation made by HiRISE targeted to the expected location of Curiosity about one minute prior to landing. It was captured in HiRISE CCD RED1, near the eastern edge of the swath width (there is a RED0 at the very edge). This means that the rover was a bit further east or downrange than predicted.

huh..... look at that .,   one robotic rover  taking naked pictures of another Robotic  rover ..

RASCALS SPYING ON EACH OTHER??

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #33 - August 10, 2012, 10:27 AM

huh..... look at that .,   one robotic rover  taking naked pictures of another Robotic  rover ..

RASCALS SPYING ON EACH OTHER??

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

07:54 <harakaat>: you must be jema
    07:54 <harakaat>: considering how annoying you are
     Reply #34 - August 10, 2012, 11:12 AM

Grin

God is Love.

Reply #35 - August 12, 2012, 01:22 PM

Science and engineering at its best. Afro

This was Curiosity being built:

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #36 - August 14, 2012, 03:02 PM

Hmmmm.,    this surface looks like a side of waterless well in my village .,

common dig a well get me some water damn rover..

that image is from high-resolution color mosaic made from images obtained by Curiosity's Mast Camera.

damn that word  Curiosity sounds like a very good name for a baby girl..

Reply #37 - August 15, 2012, 06:02 AM

http://msl-scicorner.jpl.nasa.gov/ScienceGoals/

Geek
     Reply #38 - August 15, 2012, 02:52 PM

Pictures from  recent Robot Rover Curiosity On Mars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jauEmPG9KaM

and Pictures  that Mars Rover  Opportunity D   taking picture for the past  8 Years 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONIjmVuLPak&feature=related

Mars rover Opportunity was supposed to last three months. It's now going on Nine Years. It's proved so durable that in 2011 it was essentially sent on a whole new mission.

Opportunity reached a multi-year driving destination, Endeavour Crater, in August 2011. At Endeavour's rim, it has gained access to geological deposits from an earlier period of Martian history than anything it examined during its first seven years. It also has begun an investigation of the planet's deep interior that takes advantage of staying in one place for the Martian winter.

Opportunity landed in Eagle Crater on Mars on Jan. 25, 2004, Universal Time and EST (Jan. 24, PST), three weeks after its rover twin, Spirit, landed halfway around the planet. In backyard-size Eagle Crater, Opportunity found evidence of an ancient wet environment. The mission met all its goals within the originally planned span of three months. During most of the next four years, it explored successively larger and deeper craters, adding evidence about wet and dry periods from the same era as the Eagle Crater deposits.

In mid-2008, researchers drove Opportunity out of Victoria Crater, half a mile (800 meters) in diameter, and set course for Endeavour Crater, 14 miles (22 kilometers) in diameter.

hmm millions of pour souls under the spell of gods/religion  prayed 1000s of years  and still praying but NOTHING COMES OUT.. still no picture of allah ...errrrrrrr get over the nonsense explore the life and explore the evolution.  

Reply #39 - August 18, 2012, 10:22 PM

Missions to Mars Before Curiosity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wQ6AMghKYWU

Curiosity: Carl Sagan's vision of robotic exploration on Mars [Carl Sagan Tribute Series]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x43pUyZSs5E&feature=related

Reply #40 - August 28, 2012, 01:44 PM

Latest from Mars Curiosity.......

This image is from a test series used to characterize the 100-millimeter Mast Camera on NASA's Curiosity rover. It was taken on Aug. 23, 2012, and looks south-southwest from the rover's landing site.

The 100-millimeter Mastcam has three times better resolution than Curiosity's 34-millimeter Mastcam, though it has a narrower field of view. For comparison, see PIA16103.

The gravelly area around Curiosity's landing site is visible in the foreground. Farther away, about a third of the way up from the bottom of the image, the terrain falls off into a depression (a swale). Beyond the swale, in the middle of the image, is the boulder-strewn, red-brown rim of a moderately-sized impact crater. Farther off in the distance, there are dark dunes and then the layered rock at the base of Mount Sharp. Some haze obscures the view, but the top ridge, depicted in this image, is 10 miles (16.2 kilometers) away.

Scientists enhanced the color in one version to show the Martian scene under the lighting conditions we have on Earth, which helps in analyzing the terrain. A raw version is also available.

that is what NASA says on that image..  

what a place to plant some trees and grow some  flowers..

Reply #41 - August 28, 2012, 03:48 PM

First Recorded Voice from Mars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrV0bh9ZidU

and that first guy speaking from earth to mars rover to earth is..

Charles Bolden for NASA Chief

Reply #42 - September 23, 2012, 01:23 AM

beautiful beautiful...

Late Afternoon Shadows at Endeavour Crater on Mars

NASA's Mars Rover Opportunity catches its own late-afternoon shadow in this dramatically lit view eastward across Endeavour Crater on Mars.

The rover used the panoramic camera (Pancam) between about 4:30 and 5:00 p.m. local Mars time to record images taken through different filters and combined into this mosaic view.

Most of the component images were recorded during the 2,888th Martian day, or sol, of Opportunity's work on Mars (March 9, 2012). At that time, Opportunity was spending low-solar-energy weeks of the Martian winter at the Greeley Haven outcrop on the Cape York segment of Endeavour's western rim. In order to give the mosaic a rectangular aspect, some small parts of the edges of the mosaic and sky were filled in with parts of an image acquired earlier as part of a 360-degree panorama from the same location.

Opportunity has been studying the western rim of Endeavour Crater since arriving there in August 2011. This crater spans 14 miles (22 kilometers) in diameter, or about the same area as the city of Seattle. This is more than 20 times wider than Victoria Crater, the largest impact crater that Opportunity had previously examined. The interior basin of Endeavour is in the upper half of this view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmozWyhr8ew

Hmm That is funny..,   I see that Islamic sign on that tube.,   I think Muslim Mullahs start make up a new story on Mars and start   "mars Sighting" fights ., the way they do for moon sighting fights..

Reply #43 - October 21, 2012, 12:04 PM

well the latest news on Mars  Vehicle  Curiosity from NASA says   Mars Soil Sample Delivered for Analysis Inside Rover

Three bite marks left in the Martian ground by the scoop on the robotic arm of NASA's Mars rover Curiosity are visible in this image taken by the rover's right Navigation Camera during the mission's 69th Martian day, or sol (Oct. 15, 2012). Image Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/MSSS

Hmm. that looks like wet sand with some pebbles in it..

Bright Particle in Hole Dug by Scooping of Martian Soil

This image shows part of the small pit or bite created when NASA's Mars rover Curiosity collected its second scoop of Martian soil at a sandy patch called "Rocknest." The bright particle near the center of this image, and similar ones elsewhere in the pit, prompted concern because a small, light-toned shred of debris from the spacecraft had been observed previously nearby (PIA16230). However, the mission's science team assessed the bright particles in this scooped pit to be native Martian material rather than spacecraft debris.

This image was taken by the Mars Hand Lens Imager (MAHLI) camera on Curiosity's arm during the 69th Martian day, or sol, of the mission (Oct. 15, 2012), about a week after the scoop dug this hole. The view here covers an area of ground about 1.6 inches (4 centimeters) across.

PASADENA, Calif. -- NASA's Mars rover Curiosity has ingested its first solid sample into an analytical instrument inside the rover, a capability at the core of the two-year mission. The rover's Chemistry and Mineralogy (CheMin) instrument is analyzing this sample to determine what minerals it contains.

"We are crossing a significant threshold for this mission by using CheMin on its first sample," said Curiosity's project scientist, John Grotzinger of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena. "This instrument gives us a more definitive mineral-identifying method than ever before used on Mars: X-ray diffraction. Confidently identifying minerals is important because minerals record the environmental conditions under which they form."  mages taken after Curiosity collected its second scoop of Rocknest material on Oct. 12 showed smaller bits of light-toned material in the hole dug by the scooping action. This led to discarding that scoopful rather than using it to scrub the processing mechanisms. Scientists assess these smaller, bright particles to be native Martian material, not from the spacecraft.

Well that is the news from Mars.. Well  I don't know what these guys are looking for.. THE BRIGHT BRIGHT STUFF.. may be they are looking for diamonds and gold in the mars dust.. For me amount of water water.. from the dust and carbon from it would have been more exciting..

well, More than that for general public they would have sent a small RC PLANE with camera attached like this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e320VYx9RFM

So it flies 2 or 3 miles around rover taking pictures and beaming them back to earth..  that would have been more exciting to public which helps funding such projects.. Only those geek chemists care about what is there in that mars Dust.. unless they come up with new element say with Atomic number some 150..  

Reply #44 - November 17, 2012, 08:48 PM

Curiosity Rover Report (Nov. 15, 2012): Wind and Radiation on Mars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0596IF-8s4&list=PLE8C83FF0367EEF8C

well that is the most recent video..

Curiosity Rover Report (Oct. 26, 2012): Working with Curiosity's ChemCam Laser

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDgv14Qtl1c

OK.. enough talking   finmad   where is the analysis report.. do we have Gold.. Platinum??   Carbon??   diamonds??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQiB2Nkj6ng

Well that is a good report David.. Common get some pictures of Mars Babe..

Reply #45 - November 21, 2012, 03:25 PM

There's some buzz around some kind of discovery on Mars. They are holding off on an official announcement until they are absolutely sure about the data, just in case there is some kind of error. But they used the words "it's one for the history books".

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #46 - November 21, 2012, 03:30 PM

There's some buzz around some kind of discovery on Mars. They are holding off on an official announcement until they are absolutely sure about the data, just in case there is some kind of error. But they used the words "it's one for the history books".

Most probably it is water .. There is nothing that is bigger than discovering lots of water/Ice on Mars..  that will set the ball rolling to go there..

Reply #47 - November 21, 2012, 06:25 PM

I thought they had already found water/ice there?

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #48 - November 23, 2012, 08:56 PM

grin12

Reply #49 - November 24, 2012, 04:34 PM

yep

NASA's Mars rover Curiosity has apparently made a discovery "for the history books," but we'll have to wait a few weeks to learn what the new Red Planet find may be, media reports suggest.

The discovery was made by Curiosity's Sample Analysis at Mars instrument, NPR reported today (Nov. 20). SAM is the rover's onboard chemistry lab, and it's capable of identifying organic compounds — the carbon-containing building blocks of life as we know it.

SAM apparently spotted something interesting in a soil sample Curiosity's huge robotic arm delivered to the instrument recently.

"This data is gonna be one for the history books," Curiosity chief scientist John Grotzinger, of Caltech in Pasadena, told NPR. "It's looking really good."

The rover team won't be ready to announce just what SAM found for several weeks, NPR reported, as scientists want to check and double-check the results. Indeed, Grotzinger confirmed to SPACE.com that the news will come out at the fall meeting of the American Geophysical Union, which takes place Dec. 3-7 in San Francisco.

The $2.5 billion Curiosity rover landed inside Mars' huge Gale Crater on Aug. 5, kicking off a two-year mission to determine if Mars has ever been capable of supporting microbial life.

The car-size robot carries 10 different instruments to aid in its quest, but SAM is the rover's heart, taking up more than half of its science payload by weight.

In addition to analyzing soil samples, SAM also takes the measure of Red Planet air. Many scientists are keen to see if Curiosity detects any methane, which is produced by many lifeforms here on Earth. A SAM analysis of Curiosity's first few sniffs found no definitive trace of the gas in the Martian atmosphere, but the rover will keep looking.

Curiosity began driving again Friday (Nov. 16) after spending six weeks testing its soil-scooping gear at a site called "Rocknest." The rover will soon try out its rock-boring drill for the first time on the Red Planet, scientists have said.

http://www.space.com/18565-mars-rover-curiosity-discovery-mystery.html

"In every religion there is love, yet love has no religion"

"The intellectual runs away, afraid of drowning; the whole business of love is to drown in the sea." - Rumi
     Reply #50 - November 24, 2012, 04:37 PM

Who is that guy in that meme? He always cracks me up  Grin

God is Love.

Reply #51 - November 24, 2012, 04:56 PM

grin12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDKvWiToj8Y

"In every religion there is love, yet love has no religion"

"The intellectual runs away, afraid of drowning; the whole business of love is to drown in the sea." - Rumi
     Reply #52 - November 24, 2012, 05:49 PM

ha he's real I thought he was from some comedy film with Will Ferrell or something   Grin

God is Love.

Reply #53 - November 24, 2012, 06:15 PM

NASA outpost beyond moon could lead to Mars says news

Sending astronauts to a deep-space outpost beyond the moon's far side could help lay the groundwork for more ambitious manned missions to Mars, some researchers say. Such a lunar effort would take humanity farther from Earth than it's ever been before, allowing scientists and engineers to work their way up to even more distant targets such as asteroids and Mars in a stepwise fashion, advocates say.  "It's a really good way to basically dip your toes in deep space," Josh Hopkins, a space exploration architect for Lockheed Martin Space Systems in Denver, said during a Nov. 14 presentation with NASA's Future In-Space Operations working group.

Beyond the lunar far side

NASA is apparently thinking seriously about launching astronauts to Earth-moon L2, a spot in space beyond the moon's far side. EML-2 is a so-called libration point where the gravitational pulls of the moon and Earth roughly balance out, allowing spacecraft to essentially park there. [Visions of Deep-Space Stations (Gallery)] Astronauts would ride to EML-2 aboard NASA's Orion capsule, which is being built by Lockheed Martin. Orion would get off the ground atop the Space Launch System(SLS), the agency's huge new deep-space rocket.

The launcher's first unmanned test flight is slated for 2017, and NASA hopes the SLS-Orion combo will begin carrying crews by 2021. EML-2 is an interesting target in its own right, Hopkins said. From there, astronauts could teleoperate rovers on the far side with relative ease, helping explore a part of the moon that remains little-studied to date. Such rovers could gather samples for a possible return to Earth, he said, which could shed light on the moon's mysterious impact history.

The robots could also deploy huge antennas, helping set up a powerful instrument that would take advantage of the radio "quiet zone" found on the lunar far side to investigate some of the universe's deepest mysteries. "You can do, particularly, low-frequency radio astronomy from the far side that you can't do from Earth," Hopkins said.

Hmm that is a good way to initiate  again that Mr. J.F.K dream of traveling in to space..

Reply #54 - November 30, 2012, 11:10 PM

Ok, so this discovery that was supposedly "one for the history books" has turned out to be............................................................nothing. Tongue

Update Set in San Francisco About Curiosity Mars Rover
    Rumors and speculation that there are major new findings from the mission at this early stage are incorrect.

The news conference will be an update about first use of the rover's full array of analytical instruments to investigate a drift of sandy soil. One class of substances Curiosity is checking for is organic compounds -- carbon-containing chemicals that can be ingredients for life. At this point in the mission, the instruments on the rover have not detected any definitive evidence of Martian organics.

The Mars Science Laboratory Project and its Curiosity rover are less than four months into a two-year prime mission to investigate whether conditions in Mars' Gale Crater may have been favorable for microbial life. Curiosity is exceeding all expectations for a new mission with all of the instruments and measurement systems performing well. This is spectacular for such a complex system, and one that is operated so far away on Mars by people here on planet Earth. The mission already has found an ancient riverbed on the Red Planet, and there is every expectation for remarkable discoveries still to come.

Sounds awesome. popcorn

Reply #55 - December 01, 2012, 01:25 AM

It's a conspiracy! They found ALIENS! D: ohmahgawd

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #56 - December 04, 2012, 01:42 PM

well  NASA Mars Rover Fully Analyzes First Soil Samples.. Let is see  what it got..

This is a view of the third (left) and fourth (right) trenches made by the 1.6-inch-wide (4-centimeter-wide) scoop on NASA's Mars rover Curiosity in October 2012. Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/MSSS
     PASADENA, Calif. - NASA's Mars Curiosity rover has used its full array of instruments to analyze Martian soil for the first time, and found a complex chemistry within the Martian soil. Water and sulfur and chlorine-containing substances, among other ingredients, showed up in samples Curiosity's arm delivered to an analytical laboratory inside the rover.
    Curiosity is the first Mars rover able to scoop soil into analytical instruments. The specific soil sample came from a drift of windblown dust and sand called "Rocknest." The site lies in a relatively flat part of Gale Crater still miles away from the rover's main destination on the slope of a mountain called Mount Sharp. The rover's laboratory includes the Sample Analysis at Mars (SAM) suite and the Chemistry and Mineralogy (CheMin) instrument. SAM used three methods to analyze gases given off from the dusty sand when it was heated in a tiny oven. One class of substances SAM checks for is organic compounds -- carbon-containing chemicals that can be ingredients for life.

"We have no definitive detection of Martian organics at this point, but we will keep looking in the diverse environments of Gale Crater," said SAM Principal Investigator Paul Mahaffy of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md......................

NASA's Mars Science Laboratory Project is using Curiosity to assess whether areas inside Gale Crater ever offered a habitable environment for microbes. NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, a division of Caltech, manages the project for NASA's Science Mission Directorate in Washington, and built Curiosity.  ..

So that is the graph. Big deal.. every planet built with star dust has that composition..   I thought you guys discovered some DNA or some bacteria ..  Err.. NO CARBON?   all sodium, potassium, Aluminum etc?  It is hard to imagine life without Carbon... without water..  Well OK news but not that big deal..

• So the Mars Vehicle Curiosity Closes in on its New 'Home' "MARS"
     Reply #57 - December 23, 2012, 04:13 PM

Looking Back at Entry Into 'Yellowknife Bay'

The NASA Mars rover Curiosity used its left Navigation Camera to record this view of the step down into a shallow depression called "Yellowknife Bay." It took the image on the 125th Martian day, or sol, of the mission (Dec. 12, 2012), just after finishing that sol's drive. The Sol 125 drive entered Yellowknife Bay and covered about 86 feet (26.1 meters). The descent into the basin crossed a step about 2 feet (half a meter) high, visible in the upper half of this image.

NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, a division of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, manages the Mars Science Laboratory mission for NASA's Science Mission Directorate in Washington. The mission's Curiosity rover was designed, developed and assembled at JPL.

that is recent news on mars..

Hmm that does look like dried river bed..  any fish bones??

Reply #58 - August 03, 2013, 11:08 PM

Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity shows a pale rock called "Esperence," which was inspected by the rover in May 2013 This image shows an area about 28 inches (70 centimeters) wide. It is a composite of three exposures taken by Opportunity's panoramic camera

That  is Mars Picture from Opportunity It is viewing the   'Solander Point' on June 1, 2013.. And that picture has true colors

and that is travel root of rover Opportunity

beautiful beautiful land

Reply #59 - October 27, 2013, 04:22 PM

NASA's Curiosity Rover Finds Water in Martian Soil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_009QzrPIYM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO9VOkSXYcs

flowing water images from  mars..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2kavqvxXFo