Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: So the Mars Vehicle Curiosity Closes in on its New 'Home' "MARS"

(Read 22961 times)
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • So the Mars Vehicle Curiosity Closes in on its New 'Home' "MARS"
     OP - August 05, 2012, 01:38 PM

So.. That American Mars Vehicle  Curiosity is going to land to day..  

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/index.html

With Mars looming ever larger in front of it, NASA's Mars Science Laboratory spacecraft and its Curiosity rover are in the final stages of preparing for entry, descent and landing on the Red Planet at 10:31 p.m. PDT Aug. 5 (1:31 a.m. EDT Aug. 6). Curiosity remains in good health with all systems operating as expected. Today, the flight team uplinked and confirmed commands to make minor corrections to the spacecraft's navigation reference point parameters. This afternoon, as part of the onboard sequence of autonomous activities leading to the landing, catalyst bed heaters are being turned on to prepare the eight Mars Lander Engines that are part of MSL's descent propulsion system. As of 2:25 p.m. PDT (5:25 p.m. EDT), MSL was approximately 261,000 miles (420,039 kilometers) from Mars, closing in at a little more than 8,000 mph (about 3,600 meters per second).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8ni8d-FiTQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKWXd6PxziM

What sets Curiosity apart from other Mars Rovers?

watch it at that NASA website...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1coV7XqE1M

Also click and watch it on NASA's Curiosity on course for Red Planet on  

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/americas/2012/08/201284233154733581.html

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Re: So the Mars Vehicle Curiosity Closes in on its New 'Home' "MARS"
     Reply #1 - August 05, 2012, 02:16 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRCIzZHpFtY

Damn that is really cool tube on how vehicle travels to Mars..

Reply #2 - August 05, 2012, 05:58 PM

Those Damn Kuffars are going to explore Mars.

Reply #3 - August 05, 2012, 06:24 PM

MSL was approximately 261,000 miles (420,039 kilometers) from Mars, closing in at a little more than 8,000 mph (about 3,600 meters per second).

Wow, that's closer than it sounds when you consider the vast distance traveled.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #4 - August 06, 2012, 05:44 AM

Smiley
     Reply #5 - August 06, 2012, 05:59 AM

Wish I saw this thread before

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/mars/eventwebcast/index.html
     Reply #6 - August 06, 2012, 07:21 AM

hmmm   look at these kids some of them are crying with joy..............

The team at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory celebrates after the successful touchdown of the Mars Science Laboratory on August 6th, 2012 EDT and acquisition of the first image from Curiosity on Mars.

Reply #7 - August 06, 2012, 07:23 AM

Quite unusual to see a thread opened by Yeez that has nothing to do with Baboons or any "Islam is crap" related. ohmy

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #8 - August 06, 2012, 07:28 AM

Quite unusual to see a thread opened by Yeez that has nothing to do with Baboons or any "Islam is crap" related. ohmy

that means Cato is missing his science classes ..lol..

Reply #9 - August 06, 2012, 07:28 AM

clap  cheers to NASA!  Bravo, guys!

I love space exploration stuff!  It will be interesting to see what this rover uncovers about possible life on Mars.

Thanks, Yeez, for the great HD video about how the rover got to Mars.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #10 - August 06, 2012, 07:31 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIUQ3MZ8yMs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx0p7sdusCY

Reply #11 - August 06, 2012, 07:42 AM

that Curiosity left the planet on NOV26 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1coV7XqE1M&feature=related

The Mars Science Lab was launched November 26, 2011, and is scheduled to land on Mars at Gale Crater on August 6, 2012. The rover Curiosity, after completing a more precise landing than ever attempted previously, is intended to help assess Mars' habitability for future human missions. Its primary mission objective is to determine whether Mars is or has ever been an environment able to support life.

http://spacerip.com/    fun link to watch...

Reply #12 - August 06, 2012, 07:47 AM

clap  cheers to NASA!  Bravo, guys!

Thanks, Yeez, for the great HD video about how the rover got to Mars.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.  ....  lol  reading those words made my day  Nour.. thank you..

Well "Atheism is  not only a non-prophet organization, it is also nonprofit organization"   many atheists for the past 2000 years either were killed or died poor ...."

Reply #13 - August 06, 2012, 08:04 AM

All Images are from NASA

The total distance driven on Mars by NASA's Mars Exploration Rover, 21.35 miles by early December 2011, is approaching the record total for off-Earth driving, held by the robotic Lunokhod 2 rover operated on Earth's moon by the Soviet Union in 1973. Lunokhod 2 drove 23 miles. NASA's astronaut-driven Apollo 17 Lunar Roving Vehicle drove 22.30 miles during the Apollo 17 mission to the moon in 1972.

The chart also indicates driving distances for two earlier Apollo lunar rovers, one earlier Lunokhod, NASA's Mars Exploration Rover Spirit (Opportunity's twin) and the first rover on Mars, NASA's Sojourner.

This grouping of two test rovers and a flight spare provides a graphic comparison of three generations of Mars rovers developed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif. The setting is JPL's Mars Yard testing area.

Front and center is the flight spare for the first Mars rover, Sojourner, which landed on Mars in 1997 as part of the Mars Pathfinder Project. On the left is a Mars Exploration Rover Project test rover that is a working sibling to Spirit and Opportunity, which landed on Mars in 2004. On the right is a Mars Science Laboratory test rover the size of that project's Mars rover, Curiosity, which is on course for landing on Mars in August 2012.

1). Sojourner and its flight spare, named Marie Curie, are 2 feet (65 centimeters) long.

2). The Mars Exploration Rover Project's rover, including the "Surface System Test Bed" rover in this photo, are 5.2 feet (1.6 meters) long.

3). The Mars Science Laboratory Project's Curiosity rover and "Vehicle System Test Bed" rover, on the right, are 10 feet (3 meters) long.

Reply #14 - August 06, 2012, 09:30 AM

Never take stuff like this for granted, its incredible.

Having said that, I wish NASA would plan a gigantic April Fools troll one time by coinciding a landing on mars with April 1st then including a fake picture of a human face like a gigantic buddha's face carved into Martian rocks.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #15 - August 06, 2012, 11:58 AM

Great to see Curiosity land safely on Mars.  Must be a huge relief for the team at NASA.  The 'skycrane' idea seemed a little precarious to me, but they pulled it off. Afro

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #16 - August 06, 2012, 01:04 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlMenHQgdog

NASA TV

NASA TV SCHEDULE
    http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/schedule.html

Reply #17 - August 08, 2012, 01:08 PM

3-D View from the Front of Curiosity

This image is a 3-D view in front of NASA's Curiosity rover, which landed on Mars on Aug. 5 PDT (Aug. 6 EDT). The anaglyph was made from a stereo pair of Hazard-Avoidance Cameras on the front of the rover. Mount Sharp, a peak that is about 5.5 miles (3.4 miles) high, is visible rising above the terrain, though in one "eye" a box on the rover holding the drill bits obscures the view.

I  love it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZFl3BeSSaA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8uBXitgwsg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl8uT8JO0bs

Reply #18 - August 08, 2012, 02:47 PM

Wow- This is amazing in itself & preparing for a possible manned mission one day & that would be mindblowing.

When truth is hurled against falsehood, falsehood perishes, for falsehood by its nature is bound to perish.
     Reply #19 - August 08, 2012, 09:40 PM

Holly allah doll what an Image....

courtesy of NASA

Greeley Panorama' from Opportunity's Fifth Martian Winter

This full-circle scene combines 817 images taken by the panoramic camera (Pancam) on NASA's Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity. It shows the terrain that surrounded the rover while it was stationary for four months of work during its most recent Martian winter.

Opportunity's Pancam took the component images between the 2,811th Martian day, or sol, of the rover's Mars surface mission (Dec. 21, 2011) and Sol 2,947 (May 8, 2012). Opportunity spent those months on a northward sloped outcrop, "Greeley Haven," which angled the rover's solar panels toward the sun low in the northern sky during southern hemisphere winter. The outcrop's informal name is a tribute to Ronald Greeley (1939-2011), who was a member of the mission team and who taught generations of planetary scientists at Arizona State University, Tempe. The site is near the northern tip of the "Cape York" segment of the western rim of Endeavour Crater.

North is at the center of the image. South is at both ends. On the far left at the horizon is "Rich Morris Hill." That outcrop on Cape York was informally named in memory of John R. "Rich" Morris (1973-2011), an aerospace engineer and musician who was a Mars rover team member and mission manager at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena.

Bright wind-blown deposits on the left are banked up against the Greeley Haven outcrop. Opportunity's tracks can be seen extending from the south, with a turn-in-place and other maneuvers evident from activities to position the rover at Greeley Haven. The tracks in some locations have exposed darker underlying soils by disturbing a thin, bright dust cover.

Other bright, dusty deposits can be seen to the north, northeast, and east of Greeley Haven. The deposit at the center of the image, due north from the rover's winter location, is a dusty patch called "North Pole." Opportunity drove to it and investigated it in May 2012 as an example of wind-blown Martian dust.

The interior of Endeavour Crater can been seen just below the horizon in the right half of the scene, to the northeast and east of Cape York. The crater spans 14 miles (22 kilometers) in diameter.

Opportunity's solar panels and other structures show dust that has accumulated over the lifetime of the mission. Opportunity has been working on Mars since January 2004.

During the recent four months that Opportunity worked at Greeley Haven, activities included radio-science observations to better understand Martian spin axis dynamics and thus interior structure, investigations of the composition and textures of an outcrop exposing an impact-jumbled rock formation on the crater rim, monitoring the atmosphere and surface for changes, and acquisition of this full-color mosaic of the surroundings.

The panorama combines exposures taken through Pancam filters centered on wavelengths of 753 nanometers (near infrared), 535 nanometers (green) and 432 nanometers (violet). The view is presented in false color to make some differences between materials easier to see.

Reply #20 - August 08, 2012, 10:32 PM

Great pic, yeezevee. Afro

One's mind does not fully grasp the reality of that pic when one sees it.  It does not sink in that that is not a pic of the earth. That landscape is on a different planet! mysmilie_977

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #21 - August 08, 2012, 10:32 PM

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #22 - August 08, 2012, 10:50 PM

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #23 - August 08, 2012, 11:00 PM

This was funny: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/aug/08/nasa-mohawk-guy-bobak-ferdowsi-meme
    About the good-looking, non-conformist NASA scientist, Bobak Ferdowsi.

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #24 - August 08, 2012, 11:10 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-NkX86uPI0

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #25 - August 09, 2012, 07:42 PM

goody  1st picture is out...

This is a portion of the first color 360-degree panorama from NASA's Curiosity rover, made up of thumbnails, which are small copies of higher-resolution images. The mission's destination, a mountain at the center of Gale Crater called Mount Sharp, can be seen in the distance, to the left, beginning to rise up. The mountain's summit will be imaged later. The full thumbnail panorama from the Mast Camera can bee seen at PIA16029. Blast marks from the rover's descent stage are in the foreground.

and this is PIA16029

Hmmm  PIA ...PIA sounds like Pakistan International Airlines..  lol  .....well we just need to plant some trees around..

Curiosity rover dimensions

Reply #26 - August 09, 2012, 10:17 PM

If you look closely (in the middle) you can see the beloved Rasool's name in the Martian dust. AllahuAkbar!

When truth is hurled against falsehood, falsehood perishes, for falsehood by its nature is bound to perish.
     Reply #27 - August 09, 2012, 10:48 PM

If you look closely (in the middle) you can see the beloved Rasool's name in the Martian dust. AllahuAkbar!

really? hmm let me put other picture then

what do we see there?  I see many Islamic scenes there Homo Sapien..

A Better Look of the Martian Surface

This set of images compares a black-and-white image from the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) aboard NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter to a color image obtained by the Mars Descent Imager aboard NASA's Curiosity rover during its descent to the surface. Curiosity landed on Aug. 5 PDT (Aug. 6 EDT).

The MARDI image was the 512th frame taken during the descent. It was acquired from an altitude of about 560 feet (170 meters), and about 44 seconds before touchdown. The area covers is about 705 by 490 feet (215 by 150 meters), and has a pixel scale of about 5 inches (12 centimeters). Small rocks and windblown sediment patterns are seen thoughout the image. The white box is the size of the rover and is placed at the location determined from MARDI data.

Reply #28 - August 09, 2012, 10:57 PM

This was funny: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/aug/08/nasa-mohawk-guy-bobak-ferdowsi-meme
    About the good-looking, non-conformist NASA scientist, Bobak Ferdowsi.

(Clicky for piccy!)

He's a dead ringer for David Blaine.

"The more powerful and original a mind, the more it will incline toward the religion of solitude."

"i used to steal my sisters barbies so i could take their clothes off and perv on them" - prince spinoza
     Reply #29 - August 09, 2012, 11:33 PM

He's a dead ringer for David Blaine.

David Blaine is very very smart guy .. HE IS NOT just a magician

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFnGhrC_3Gs

This talk from him floored me..

• 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »