Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Looking forward to meeting like-minded people

(Read 5883 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Looking forward to meeting like-minded people
     Reply #30 - August 01, 2012, 01:29 PM

They seem to think culture/religion is something tied in with your race, like it's a physical thing as opposed to an external ideology.

Yes well I can see why religious people would think like that. Because if you believe in an all powerful, all knowing God then you are inclined to believe that dividing the world into Christian and Muslim countries is all part of his plan, so some people are meant to be Christians and others are meant to be Muslims.

In the early days of Islam, when Muslim armies were rapdily conquering new nations it could be possibly believed that everyone would eventually become Muslim. But seeing as there haven't been any Muslim conquests in many many centuries, it must seem to many believers nowadays that God intends religion to be tied to race/ethnicity.

Pretty sick when you take this theory to it's logical conclusions, it means God himself is a racist. He allows Arabs to have many wives and to beat them but he doesn't allow Whites to do the same.
     Reply #31 - August 01, 2012, 01:54 PM

also separating the idea of culture and religion, it's so ingrained in them. All mixed together.

It might be worth pointing out that their culture existed before it embraced the religion that now defines it.
     Reply #32 - August 01, 2012, 02:01 PM

They seem to think culture/religion is something tied in with your race, like it's a physical thing as opposed to an external ideology. Like my dad at one point said, 'you can't change your skin to white', because I was behaving 'too western', with my clothes, my attitude, at one point apparently. Tribalism.

They can't seem to distinguish religion as something separate to them, also separating the idea of culture and religion, it's so ingrained in them. All mixed together.

Do you think this is particularly pronounced amongst Muslims? I mean the whole thing with it being immutable - as if you can no more change your religion as a Muslim, than you can change your own brain, legs or eyes?

I think it is rooted in a theological idea and the cause of a lot of inflexibility that leads to different problems.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #33 - August 04, 2012, 11:28 PM

Well, sounds like you got off lucky in regards to your family. Be thankful for that. I've gotten death threats from both of my parents already, and I haven't even told them I'm not a Muslim anymore.

Rather be forgotten than remembered for giving in.
     Reply #34 - August 05, 2012, 12:36 AM

Welcome, Autumn ... good to have ya here  Afro

"The more powerful and original a mind, the more it will incline toward the religion of solitude."

"i used to steal my sisters barbies so i could take their clothes off and perv on them" - prince spinoza
     Reply #35 - August 05, 2012, 05:22 AM

Do you think this is particularly pronounced amongst Muslims? I mean the whole thing with it being immutable - as if you can no more change your religion as a Muslim, than you can change your own brain, legs or eyes?

I think it is rooted in a theological idea and the cause of a lot of inflexibility that leads to different problems.

Your instincts and ideas on this are pretty much spot on. It's about asserting control through religio-ethnic identity politics. The supremacist religious ideology that is often preached to Muslims in the West is a far more compelling (and a less transparent power grab by the elite) means of control than a simple ethnic identity. But it's all a crock of shit. In the West, Arab muslims are separate from Subcontinent muslims are separate from African muslims, etc. Still, people's sense of identity becomes tied to a myth of Islamic identity and brotherhood, making apostasy seem at the very least unconscionable and at worse impossible short of brainwashing, extortion, insanity, etc.

I don't think there's any theological basis for it other than the draconian nature of the apostasy punishment. After all, the primary sources of Islam are full of accounts of the dissenting voices from Muhammad from within the same racial group/tribe.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #36 - August 05, 2012, 10:25 AM

Cheers, asbie

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #37 - August 10, 2012, 11:38 PM

Welcome to the forum  parrot   

About your older male coworker. Gossiping to others about not talking to you counts as harassment does it not. You should try and take it up with human resources.   

Looking forward to seeing you join in on the discussion  Afro

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »