Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: (Arabic question): Can 36:40 be intepreted as including the orbit of the earth

(Read 2124 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • (Arabic question): Can 36:40 be intepreted as including the orbit of the earth
     OP - July 26, 2012, 08:45 AM

"It is not permitted to the sun to catch up the moon, nor can the night outstrip the day: Each swims along in  orbit "

Muslims now argue that 'each swims along', refers to all celestial bodies, including the earth.

The word in question is wakullun  - all/ each. The argument is that this word necessarily is referring to more than 2 things (more than just the sun and moon), and must also be talking about the earth (and every other planet).

If its true that wakallun means more than two things, then i would guess that it is referring to 1. the sun. 2. the moon. 3. the night. 4 the day.

But as a non Arabic speaker, there is not much I can say to people who do (even if i think they are lying).
  • Re: (Arabic question): Can 36:40 be intepreted as including the orbit of the earth
     Reply #1 - July 26, 2012, 09:12 AM

The Earth is not mentioned as a subject, so how can 'each/all' be referring to it?

If anything, it's bad grammar.
  • Re: (Arabic question): Can 36:40 be intepreted as including the orbit of the earth
     Reply #2 - July 26, 2012, 11:57 AM

It just says that the earth is a fix abode and the Night as an object along with the day go around the earth, basically they rotate around the earth, how can this verse make sense anyway??? Where is the days and Nights Orbit Huh? if the day and night had an orbit it would obviously be around the earth, in the beginning the day covers the earth and then it rotates and the night comes and so on they rotate around the earth making day and night happen.

I think this is the explanation for it, only if u look at the earth as a fixed abode will this verse make sense otherwise the night nor the day have any orbits.

Reply #3 - July 26, 2012, 03:00 PM

The Earth is not mentioned as a subject, so how can 'each/all' be referring to it?

well, thats what i said, but the response is something like 'i speak Arabic as a first language, therefore I win'.
     Reply #4 - July 26, 2012, 04:58 PM

dr_sloth

What do you think about my argument ?

Reply #5 - July 26, 2012, 05:38 PM

i am sure it is another example of geocentrism. You dont need to convince me of that. I just wanted to know if you bend over backwards, and are as generous as possible to the Muslim argument, if its possible to interpret the Arabic as suggesting that the earth also 'swims'.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »