Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: London 2012 Olympics

(Read 33093 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 6 7 89 10 ... 16 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: London 2012 Olympics
     Reply #210 - August 02, 2012, 04:15 PM

Nah, Bonkers is something of a cult anthem. I'm glad it was included for that reason even if it's not a favourite of mine.

I also really loved the music playing when the cauldron was being lit. Can't find actual footage, but from 4:45 is what I mean:

Underworld - Caliban's Dream
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiQaU9oIHjs

The lighting of the cauldron really lit my heart up. Truly beautiful.

I thought it kind of missed the spirit, and was included as a ethnic token. I wonder that they used to make the lighting effect for molten iron that was really creative.
     Reply #211 - August 02, 2012, 10:23 PM

FEMEN certainly made a splash today [NFSW].

Each of us a failed state in stark relief against the backdrop of the perfect worlds we seek.
    Propagandhi - Failed States
     Reply #212 - August 02, 2012, 10:24 PM

I think I may be the only one in the world who couldn't care less about the olympics. Who's competing. Who's winning. Who's losing. What the uniforms look like.

It sucks because there are ads everywhere.

Life is what happens to you while you're staring at your smartphone.

Eternal Sunshine of the Religionless Mind
     Reply #213 - August 02, 2012, 10:43 PM

The individual event will be interesting. Uchimura, their triple world champion, looks gaunt and nervous.

As, I thought, did Bolt at the opening ceremony.

I fear for both.

Fears alleviated. Did you watch him yesterday? You gotta admire a guy who can show up to the Olympics out of shape and out of form and still take home the gold. Such an incredible athlete. On a whole 'nother level when he's on form:

001_wub

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #214 - August 02, 2012, 10:56 PM

I think I may be the only one in the world who couldn't care less about the olympics. Who's competing. Who's winning. Who's losing. What the uniforms look like.

It sucks because there are ads everywhere.

You're not the only one. I didn't even watch the Vancouver games. Although I enjoyed watching everyone who never even saw a hockey game before get all nationalistic.

"If intelligence is feminine... I would want that mine would, in a resolute movement, come to resemble an impious woman."
     Reply #215 - August 02, 2012, 11:04 PM

far away hug

Life is what happens to you while you're staring at your smartphone.

Eternal Sunshine of the Religionless Mind
     Reply #216 - August 02, 2012, 11:10 PM

Reply #217 - August 03, 2012, 02:10 AM

Did you watch him yesterday?

It happened in the middle of the night. Saw the highlights over brekkie.

That vault was something else, as was his reaction to nailing it.

He was really sweet afterwards, a wave of euphoric relief.

There's amazing footage of him aged about six already tumbling like a champ. But a Youtube search for 'uchimura young boy gymnastics' threw up only the kind of clips a scoutmaster might be interested in.

I loved the gentlemanly disappointment of the silver medal rowing four. They were not happy, but no question of whinging.
     Reply #218 - August 03, 2012, 03:30 AM

There's some really sweet clips of young Uchimura at his fathers gym at the start of this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNoIwvhL3pQ

It was in the blood.

Reply #219 - August 03, 2012, 03:43 AM

Ignore the video title on this. It's not Uchimura, it's Marcel Nguyen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxn4vOZcqOo

Also worthy of a mention. He did great on the day. That high bar routine was very nearly terrifying. Cruised easily into silver place.

I love the respect and sportsmanship between the rival gymnasts. They seem to really genuinely appreciate each others work.

Reply #220 - August 03, 2012, 03:51 AM

Women's sports in general seem much more congenial than men's sports.  I imagine it's because I'm a guy and don't see the hidden competitiveness behind the smiles and hugs. 

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #221 - August 03, 2012, 03:58 AM

Sometimes it's not.

Reply #222 - August 03, 2012, 04:07 AM

Thanks, Ishina. Yes, that's the footage, though there's another clip that looks better because he's tumbling into the shade. More atmospheric somehow.

I didn't see Nguyen ('cos he's not Japanese), but that was electrifying. The high vantage point emphasised the scariness.

Deusvult, I'm not sure I agree the women are more congenial. Did you see the eyes of the Russian gymnast who came second to the American? If looks could kill...
     Reply #223 - August 03, 2012, 01:06 PM

Nigeria lost against US in an embarrasing match, 6 three pointers in a row against D'tigers, thats a pretty damn shame.

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #224 - August 03, 2012, 03:21 PM

This tennis match between Federer and Del Potro is never going to end.

19:46   <zizo>: hugs could pimp u into sex

Quote from: yeezevee
    well I am neither ex-Muslim nor absolute 100% Non-Muslim.. I am fucking Zebra

Reply #225 - August 03, 2012, 07:59 PM

That was some of the most amazing tennis I have ever seen in my life.

I've really started to warm to Murray this last year or so. I've struggled to cheer for him before against some of the other great players I love. Pouring his heart out at Wimbledon helped. I'm a sucker for the human side of the game. But also his talent has really started to bloom. At times scrappy and messy, but passionate and daring too. And his fitness and endurance has noticeably improved. You don't see those lulls in form as often where he'd appear to just lose steam and start throwing points away. He can be a great player and I can easily see some grand slams under his belt in the future.

Anyway, great result for GB. Whatever happens next match, it's gold or silver.

Reply #226 - August 03, 2012, 09:47 PM

I love the respect and sportsmanship between the rival gymnasts. They seem to really genuinely appreciate each others work.

Are we talking about the male gymnast. Caught a bit of the women's gymnastics, if looks could kill, those Russians would have struck the black American dead.

Up to 4th in the table. That's like nosebleed height.

I am my own worst enemy and best friend, itsa bit of a squeeze in a three-quarter bed, tho. Unhinged!? If I was a dog I would be having kittens, that is unhinged. Footloose n fancy free, forced to fit, fated to fly. One or 2 words, 3 and 3/thirds, looking comely but lonely, till I made them homely.D
     Reply #227 - August 03, 2012, 10:06 PM

Consider the age difference though. The guys are mostly around mid 20's. Komova is only 17. She's just a kid. And she's gonna have the disappointment of making mistakes weighing on her. I can forgive a few tears.

Reply #228 - August 04, 2012, 12:05 AM

is it just me, or has the atmosphere at these olympics been a bit extra-special?

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #229 - August 04, 2012, 01:33 AM

Never heard of an equivalent to Tony Harding, I think that was her name, ice skater from years ago. Just think men can become a collective quicker.

I am my own worst enemy and best friend, itsa bit of a squeeze in a three-quarter bed, tho. Unhinged!? If I was a dog I would be having kittens, that is unhinged. Footloose n fancy free, forced to fit, fated to fly. One or 2 words, 3 and 3/thirds, looking comely but lonely, till I made them homely.D
     Reply #230 - August 04, 2012, 02:56 AM

is it just me, or has the atmosphere at these olympics been a bit extra-special?

It deffo feels special to me. Pretty much everyone I know is buzzing about it too.

Reply #231 - August 04, 2012, 02:43 PM

That was some of the most amazing tennis I have ever seen in my life.

I've really started to warm to Murray this last year or so. I've struggled to cheer for him before against some of the other great players I love. Pouring his heart out at Wimbledon helped. I'm a sucker for the human side of the game. But also his talent has really started to bloom. At times scrappy and messy, but passionate and daring too. And his fitness and endurance has noticeably improved. You don't see those lulls in form as often where he'd appear to just lose steam and start throwing points away. He can be a great player and I can easily see some grand slams under his belt in the future.

Anyway, great result for GB. Whatever happens next match, it's gold or silver.

Yeah, the tennis was fantastic!  Both the Federer/DelPotro match and Murray/Djokovich match.  I was so happy to see Murray through to the final.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #232 - August 04, 2012, 03:50 PM

Looks like Jessica Ennis will win gold tonight, she's great   Afro

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #233 - August 04, 2012, 06:12 PM

She's hot stuff. So is Katarina Johnson-Thompson. 

Jessica Ennis (jokingly) said she'll retire if Katarina continues at this rate.

Reply #234 - August 04, 2012, 07:29 PM

Some of these elimination rounds are almost as exciting as finals. I gotta get down the pub to watch this on the big screen.

And then we got the tennis finals tomorrow to look forward to. What a fantastic first week it's been.

Reply #235 - August 04, 2012, 08:33 PM

Jessica Ennis is brilliant! And where did that long jump gold come from?

God is Love.

Reply #236 - August 04, 2012, 09:04 PM

Wow. What an evening of sport. Triple Gold for Britain. Mo Farah, take a bow son, take a bow.

God is Love.

Reply #237 - August 04, 2012, 09:39 PM

What a fantastic performance by the Brits in athletics tonight! Mo Farah was incredible.
    Now the Aussies won't be able to tease us about only winning medals in sports in which one sits down  Grin
     Reply #238 - August 04, 2012, 09:55 PM

what a fucking night. can't stop smiling.

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #239 - August 05, 2012, 03:41 AM

Mo Farah taking home the gold medal was the highlight of my day!!!!! He was amazing!

"its fashionable to be an ex Muslim these days"
  • Previous page 1 ... 6 7 89 10 ... 16 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »